Davey

Bluebrick Layout Software

11 hours ago, CoNSpiracy said:

That sounds very good! I have now started using v1.8.2 and one thing I have noted is that the zoom function is a bit tricky. I can zoom in and out with the wheel on my mouse, but once I have zoomed in I cannot move the "canvas" to see the parts of my layout which are not on the screen. To see these parts at the same detail (zoom) level, I have to zoom out again and focus the zoom-in place to the exact right spot on the canvas. It would be great if there were a button somewhere (e.g. an icon with arrows in all four directions), and when clicked you could move the canvas with the mouse directions, until "released" (by a mouse click)

Hi CoNSpiracy,

You can click on the middle button of the mouse + move the mouse, to pan the view.

Yours.

Unfortunately, Mickeysoft in the latest Windows 10 update have hijacked the middle mouse button for the new "timeline" function. I'm sure you can re-map that key somewhere, but I find it easier to just hold down Shift while panning with the left button.

38 minutes ago, Thai bricks said:

Unfortunately, Mickeysoft in the latest Windows 10 update have hijacked the middle mouse button for the new "timeline" function. I'm sure you can re-map that key somewhere, but I find it easier to just hold down Shift while panning with the left button.

Unfortunately, you cannot remap this middle button in BlueBrick, but yes, you can alternatively use SHIFT + left mouse button.

Well, I jumped onto Bill Gates too soon: turns out it's my Logitech mouse driver I had to install, to disable extra buttons that were driving me crazy. Problem solved.

BTW: excellent program! Thank you for your great effort.

53 minutes ago, Thai bricks said:

BTW: excellent program! Thank you for your great effort.

Thanks! Always a pleasure to hear from happy users. :blush:

11 hours ago, Alban Nanty said:

Hi CoNSpiracy,

You can click on the middle button of the mouse + move the mouse, to pan the view.

Yours.

Ah, yes, "panning" was the term I was missing! And thanks for the tip, it works.

One new feature request (unless it is already there somewhere and I am just missing it again!): It would be great to be able to add a measuring line ("ruler") showing centimeters (or inches) instead of (or in addition to) the number of studs. This will make it easier to fit a layout onto a table with fixed dimensions.

Edited by CoNSpiracy

9 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

@Alban Nanty will there be control schemes for people without mousewheels to click on?

Yes it already exists, specially with people using a laptop with a tactile pad, and no mouse connected.

zoom: SHIFT + RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON + move up or down
pan: SHIFT + LEFT MOUSE BUTTON + move

@Alban Nanty I had one more thought as I was using this today. Would it be possible to add a "select by type" and/or a "select by category" action to the right click menu? 

Select by type would select all of that part on the current layer

Select by category would select all of the part type (ie road, track, baseplate, etc) on the current layer

wonderful program!

3 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

@Alban Nanty I had one more thought as I was using this today. Would it be possible to add a "select by type" and/or a "select by category" action to the right click menu? 

Select by type would select all of that part on the current layer

Select by category would select all of the part type (ie road, track, baseplate, etc) on the current layer

wonderful program!

Hello SuperTruper,

I guess you can do the "select by type" with the search feature (CTRL+F  or menu Edit > Find and Replace).

I think, there's no "search by category" feature. I think what you call a category is a tab in the part library, right?

Anyway, small tips, when you do a layout, I suggest to place the baseplate in one layer, and the rails in another layer above it.

7 hours ago, Alban Nanty said:

Anyway, small tips, when you do a layout, I suggest to place the baseplate in one layer, and the rails in another layer above it.

This feature evaded me until I became aware of the layers, took several tries....Anyway a fantastic program!

This program is really helpful especially when you decide to change your show layout. This helps to not disturb the home place by laying out my display all over the house,

(insert Wife not happy)  :hmpf_bad:

So much easier on my laptop computer!

1 hour ago, Arrow said:

What are the news in the next update?

OK... you want some teaser? :wink:

Currently there're two big features, partially completed:

1) Some improvement on the package distribution and installation that will help the LUG to create and distribute their package of library more easily, including an in-software download and installation...

2) Big improvement on the Part List window, that I'm sure not a lot of people uses (or are aware of). This windows won't be a floating window anymore, it will be integrated inside the main window, and will have extra info displayed in relation with your budget. Improvement also on the export of this part list, including a new export format (CSV).

Then I plan also to give some love to the export in picture, because I know that some of you are going crazy with BlueBrick and sometimes are creating layout too large to fit in the picture... But I didn't start working on it...

On 2/26/2020 at 2:37 PM, CoNSpiracy said:

Ah, yes, "panning" was the term I was missing! And thanks for the tip, it works.

One new feature request (unless it is already there somewhere and I am just missing it again!): It would be great to be able to add a measuring line ("ruler") showing centimeters (or inches) instead of (or in addition to) the number of studs. This will make it easier to fit a layout onto a table with fixed dimensions.

@CoNSpiracy,

You can add rulers. :wub_drool:

Click in the right bottom corner on the Ruler Icon (between the T icon & the Garbage bin icon in the picture here below) to add a Ruler layer.

Ruler1.PNG.a4e21f8f05a964c686bffb2b7b6a03d8.PNG

Then becomes the Ruler icon in the top icon bar (below the File / Edit / View / Budget / Help buttons) activated.

Click on it to open the dropdown box and select Add Ruler.

Ruler3.PNG.89bedc92b59e56fa8c76c60305d13883.PNG

Add your Ruler.

Once placed, you can change the dimensions by double click on the newly placed ruler.

Then you'll see a new window apearing, Click on the down arrow of the Unit dropdown box.

There can you select the dimension you want.

You can choose from:

Stud

LDU

Straight Track

Module

Meter

Feet

Unfortunately I can't upload this picture due to the verry limited upload to this forum.

but you should be able to place a ruler with the info here above.

Success,

Ludo

Edited by Ludo
updated text

13 hours ago, Alban Nanty said:

Hello SuperTruper,

I guess you can do the "select by type" with the search feature (CTRL+F  or menu Edit > Find and Replace).

I think, there's no "search by category" feature. I think what you call a category is a tab in the part library, right?

Hey Alban,

I am very well versed in layers but I do find myself forgetting to set them up. Is there a sort of "default template" file I could have load on new or opening the program?

I am very excited for the Library sharing features. 

6 hours ago, Thai bricks said:

Small bug, or is it a feature? I named a layer "Roads & Buildings" and it comes out as "Roads _Buildings".

Hello Thai Bricks, this is a bug, I guess the & character need to be escaped. I will note it down.

6 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Hey Alban,

I am very well versed in layers but I do find myself forgetting to set them up. Is there a sort of "default template" file I could have load on new or opening the program?

I am very excited for the Library sharing features. 

Hi Supertruper,

No there's no template file feature, but there's something approaching. In the Preferences window, in General Tab and "New map default configuration" you can choose which layer should be Added when creating a new map.

However, I think I should remove that and replace it with a "template file" that could be saved and loaded automatically when doing creating a new map. This would give much more freedom to the user as what should be on this template map, such as the number of brick layer, or the logo of the LUG in one corner.

Thanks for the suggestion.

17 hours ago, Ludo said:

Add your Ruler.

Once placed, you can change the dimensions by double click on the newly placed ruler.

Then you'll see a new window apearing, Click on the down arrow of the Unit dropdown box.

There can you select the dimension you want.

You can choose from:

Stud

LDU

Straight Track

Module

Meter

Feet

Thank you! This is exactly what I was missing.

I have designed my first layout on Blue Brick. The one thing I cannot figure out how to do is highlight sections of the layout and write text in them. I'm sure it has to do with the layers but, thus far, I have not been successful at any text or different colors of highlights. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by ecmo47

Yes, you must create a text layer. Only when this layer is active can you create and edit text anywhere. If you find this difficult I strongly recommend you watch the tutorial videos. I did just yesterday and they make everything so much clearer.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:45 AM, Alban Nanty said:

No, I didn't try, and unfortunately, it seems Mono is less supported on Mac and Linux recently, to the point that I'm afraid the next version won't even work at all...

Does this mean new version may not work under Linux at all? Even under Wine?

10 hours ago, Thai bricks said:

Yes, you must create a text layer. Only when this layer is active can you create and edit text anywhere. If you find this difficult I strongly recommend you watch the tutorial videos. I did just yesterday and they make everything so much clearer.

Thanks! For others, here are the youtube links that I found:

Part 1: 

Part 2: 

Oh yeah, the text. At least on my computer it always reverts to some default font and size every time I add a text comment. It would be nice if it remembered the last font and size I used.

23 hours ago, zux said:

Does this mean new version may not work under Linux at all? Even under Wine?

I have no idea so far. If you know some linux developer happy to help me, I would be glad. :classic:

15 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Oh yeah, the text. At least on my computer it always reverts to some default font and size every time I add a text comment. It would be nice if it remembered the last font and size I used.

Go to menu Edit > Preference... > then tab Appearance > in the group box "Default Text Format". You can edit your preferred font style size and color.

I'm trying to create the pieces for 4DBrix track, but it doesn't quite come out the way it should. Where can I ask questions about this?

Thanks,

Peter.

Edited by Thai bricks