Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Train Town 2

traintech1.jpg

Over the past few weeks, I've been expanding my Lego train builds and now have over four trains built in addition to some of the My Own Train rolling stock collection. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room for Willoughby and Jeb's Farm, so I had to remove a number of the baseplates as well as the barn and silo to make room for more track.

The picture isn't the best, but this gives you an idea of the new Train Town:

traintown1-2.jpg

This is a nice touch, to your new expansion. There is alot of tracks going on both sides, and it looks so much fun controlling them, especially if they are able to move by power or batteries, with those switching tracks. The train shed, train crossing, Classic Town, plus various new City sets, make this setup, nicely integrated together. It's truly inspiring to look at this, and admire your latest tabletop project. :thumbup:

By the way, did I notice the small Camper Van, at the top left of this image. :wub:

I just bought that, and I can't wait to build mine as well. :tongue:

Well done TheBrickster! You have put together an impressive layout there. The design must make it fun to use, that's a great track plan. But I have 2 questions:

1. What is the black plate opposite the train station for?
  2. And where does the station line go? Does it join on the other end to the rest of the loop?

But great job, and I'm sure you're having fun with it. :classic:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

what did you do with the locomotive of 7898?

It's on the left side of the image pulling the MOT collection of rolling stock. You can see the very end of it in front of the blue/black log car.

By the way, did I notice the small Camper Van, at the top left of this image. :wub:

Yes, that's it. I think it's a great set.

What is the black plate opposite the train station for?

Oh, that's just a baseplate that I placed there to build my next train wagon (safe place so I don't misplace it). :blush:

And where does the station line go? Does it join on the other end to the rest of the loop?

No, unfortunately the train has to be backed up to the station. The rail ends past the station and crossing. Placing these buildings are difficult when you have limited space. I must admit that I don't particularly like the configuration, but I'll re-arrange again.

Here's another picture that shows the right side of the table a little better:

traintown1-3.jpg

This particular layout allows for one train to be stationary on the outer left side of the track (and another to run on the inside - and interchangeable) - important when you have a few different trains that you'd like to place on a layout without a shunting yard (although the shed and station provide shunting areas and have the 9V locos). I could have ran two different lines so that both trains could run, but I like for all the rails to be connected.

It is very difficult to combine buildings and roadplates with track when you have a small layout. More space is always needed.

-EDIT-

Here's another image that shows the layout a little better:

traintown1-4.jpg

No, unfortunately the train has to be backed up to the station. The rail ends past the station and crossing. Placing these buildings are difficult when you have limited space. I must admit that I don't particularly like the configuration, but I'll re-arrange again.

I would suggest using some buffers. Without them, the track just kind of stops, with them, I think it adds some realism. It's rare that you'll find train tracks without buffers on busy lines. Below are some photos (although not very good ones) of what I've done for buffers:

buffer-1.jpg

buffer-2.jpg

buffer-3.jpg

I think you should add the silo and stable to your train layout. You could make it so that rolling stock (more specifically the hopper wagon) can pass under the silo and receive it's contents.

I would suggest using some buffers. Without them, the track just kind of stops, with them, I think it adds some realism.

Good tip - thanks. I have at least one from the Cargo Train set (4512) that I meant to break out (under a stack of boxes). Buffers do add a nice quality to the end of the track.

I think you should add the silo and stable to your train layout. You could make it so that rolling stock (more specifically the hopper wagon) can pass under the silo and receive it's contents.

I actually tried. Two of my trains are a bit too tall and crashed through both the silo and the barn. The stables are on the far left front of the table - jusy can't see them in the image.