Sign in to follow this  
Train7725

Using powerfunctions with lego 7725 train

traintech1.jpg

I have enhanced my old 7225 train with the new PowerFuctions rechargeble battery and train motor. In this way the old train can use the new train rails. I have taken a couble of photo's showing how everything looks with the battery inside. The powerfunction battery is smaller than I thought, and fits nicely inside the train. However I had to make som modfications to the roof, otherwise the battery wouldn't fit inside.

Here is a photo of the train refitted with the battery and new motor and wheels.

7725.png

The front

Somehow - I can't find a way to have 3 set of wheels on the new motor - only 2 sets. Does anyone know how to do that? Instead I made a little something to put instead of the third wheel.

front.png

Made som special modifications to the roof, making it a lot easier to get to the battery. It's a nice details when you wan't to recharge.

roof.png

easy.png

Middel

Almost identical to the original 7725. I have exchanged the wheels with the newer much lighter weels.

wagon.png

Rear

Same procedure here. Changed the wheels. The placement of hte new weels is somehow different. It's not possible to give them exact same place as the old ones. But I think it looks OK.

rear.png

Inside

The inside still looks fine, even though the battery takes up a hole lot of the space. Luckily - the there is space enough for the driver and his seat :-)

inside.png

Movie of modified train in action:

http://podcastmachine.com/podcasts/1296/episodes/5536

Well, it has been an expensive rebuilt - but hey - I love my old 7725! Next up is my 7740!

Edited by Train7725

but won't the battery to the power function die then you would have to put new ones in. like me I trust my 9 volt motor, to bad i only have one :sadnew:

This is great. I love seeing the fusion of classic sets from the 80s with brand new technology.

I don't know anything about power functions, can you start/stop and control the speed of the train remotely?

This is great. I love seeing the fusion of classic sets from the 80s with brand new technology.

I don't know anything about power functions, can you start/stop and control the speed of the train remotely?

It should be possible to control the speed with the use of 8879 Power Functions IR Speed Remote Control and 8884 Power Functions IR Receiver. I bought the 8884 IR receiver because I thought it would work with the remote from the new Lego train sets ... but it didn't. You have to buy 8879 - which is not for sale in Denmark (where I live). But with that - yes - you can control the speed and direction.

Nice work on the 7725. I can't see the IR receiver in there, did you manage to fit that in as well? (edit: ok so it's not in there yet. Hope you manage get the PF remote soon.)

I'm going in the other direction - I'm retro-fitting my Emerald Night to work on the 12V track. :grin:

Edited by Beej

but won't the battery to the power function die then you would have to put new ones in. like me I trust my 9 volt motor, to bad i only have one :sadnew:

Well, not sure I quite understand. I rechange the battery boks like this:

charging.png

Hahahaha, very nice. Maybe to solve your three wheels on one car and two on the other, you could just make it two on both of them?

And this train doesn't have IR control?

Great modifications mate, well done! :pir-wink:

I love classic lego train sets but I mean, won't it be annying to have to keep on changing the battery every few hours. why don't you buy a train motor or something that runs on electricity and not batterys. anyway it's not a pain having to change batterys :tongue: but hey it's your train. Have fun with it :cry_happy::thumbup:

oh.. it's a rechargeable.. ok nevermind. but won't you want to have a back or something. cause those power functions take for ever.

Somehow - I can't find a way to have 3 set of wheels on the new motor - only 2 sets. Does anyone know how to do that? Instead I made a little something to put instead of the third wheel.

You could possibly do it by replacing the train motor with a power functions M motor and appropriate gears to drive the wheels. Not sure how well that would work in terms of space though.

Looks quite nice. Now we need to make metal wheels to get rid of that Li-ion.

Nice idea and well done, train7725!

It´s always good to know the older trains still have a place in our newer world.

This makes me want to try something similar...

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

isn't it just easier to put two wheels in the front like all the other cars of the train. hey gotta love those old train sets :thumbup:

I guess you are right. I will try that and see how it looks. Thanks!

You could possibly do it by replacing the train motor with a power functions M motor and appropriate gears to drive the wheels. Not sure how well that would work in terms of space though.

I thought about your idea - but I think that theres just to little space inside the cabin. But I am not sure. I think that the battery and an M-motor alone leaves no free space. Are there any building instructions somewhere that shows how to drive train wheels from an M motor? Couldn't find one - and I sure could need some inspiration to solve that problem. Thanks for the input!

I love classic lego train sets but I mean, won't it be annying to have to keep on changing the battery every few hours. why don't you buy a train motor or something that runs on electricity and not batterys. anyway it's not a pain having to change batterys :tongue: but hey it's your train. Have fun with it :cry_happy::thumbup:

oh.. it's a rechargeable.. ok nevermind. but won't you want to have a back or something. cause those power functions take for ever.

Yes - I think your are right that the 9V and 12V systems are "better" in terms that you dont need a battery at all. I recently bought 7897 Passenger Train for my kids, and wanted to make my old train compatible with the new railstracks.

Hahahaha, very nice. Maybe to solve your three wheels on one car and two on the other, you could just make it two on both of them?

And this train doesn't have IR control?

Great modifications mate, well done! :pir-wink:

No, this set does not have an IR. But I got an IR remote from 7897 Passenger Train, and thought that I might be able to use that with the PowerFuctions IR sensor ..... but it didn't work :-(

So now I have to press the green button on the battery to start and stop the train. I can regulate the speed of the motor on battery as well. I guess I have to buy an PowerFunctions IR remote - if I wish to control the train remotely.

I really like what you have done. At first glance one doesn't even notice. That particular train is one of the few I don't have from the 80s but I do have the 7740. I just checked out the instructions on Peeron, and it might be possible to put the battery and an XL motor where the mock diesel electric motor is. To be honest though, I would probably try to put everything, inlcuding the motors in the in a closed wagon like the 7819 mail van so that it doesn't disturb the interiors. It will be interesting to see where you hide the IR receiver!

You should check out the Lego Train group at Flickr.com and look at the PF solutions that have been built into locomotive tenders, and US diesel electric engines to get your 3 (6) wheel ideas. Here is one example.

The guys in that group really know what they are doing... except for me. :wink:

traintech1.jpg

I have enhanced my old 7225 train with the new PowerFuctions rechargeble battery and train motor. In this way the old train can use the new train rails. I have taken a couble of photo's showing how everything looks with the battery inside. The powerfunction battery is smaller than I thought, and fits nicely inside the train. However I had to make som modfications to the roof, otherwise the battery wouldn't fit inside.

Here is a photo of the train refitted with the battery and new motor and wheels.

7725.png

The front

front.png

Made som special modifications to the roof, making it a lot easier to get to the battery. It's a nice details when you wan't to recharge.

roof.png

easy.png

Middel

Almost identical to the original 7725. I have exchanged the wheels with the newer much lighter weels.

wagon.png

Rear

Same procedure here. Changed the wheels. The placement of hte new weels is somehow different. It's not possible to give them exact same place as the old ones. But I think it looks OK.

rear.png

Inside

The inside still looks fine, even though the battery takes up a hole lot of the space. Luckily - the there is space enough for the driver and his seat :-)

inside.png

Movie of modified train in action:

http://podcastmachine.com/podcasts/1296/episodes/5536

Well, it has been an expensive rebuilt - but hey - I love my old 7725! Next up is my 7740!

Hi! Could you re-upload images?

thanks