paintballman413

Best LEGO Train Ever Made

Through all my childhood years up until high school, my favorite thing in the whole entire world was steam locomotives, so naturally, my favorite lego set is Definitely the Emerald Night. The fact it's a brilliant design, with lots of interesting colour faithfully recreating the image of a LNER and pullman passenger car setup, and with so much SNOT and tiles built in that the locomotive has less than 15 total exposed studs makes it as much a model as a lego set.

Second on my list would be the first lego set I saw, and the one I first wanted all those years ago, 7715. I still haven't gotten it, but I still have the 1988 catalog that has it's picture in it, which I kept in good condition even though I first got it when I was two.

Third, well it's hard to say really, I guess it would have to be the first Lego train I actually bought, which would have to be 4511 High speed Train and 4512 Cargo Train, both of which brought me out of my dark ages. 4511 appealed to me, being the first 9v passenger train (in recent times) that actually resembled a real design (excluding the detachable freight box), instead of having it's design based on playability, and the Cargo train also had a 'nitty-gritty' look to it that made it much more realistically-based.

Why haven't I mentioned the Metroliner? well, to be honest it was well within my years when I appreciated Steamers over anything else, and the outer design just didn't look great to me. Even though since then I've seen it's internal design and realize it's great, it's just wasn't/isn't my thing. I will, however, concede that it's probably one of the best Lego trains ever made - on equal first with the Emerald Night of course. :laugh:

Sure, Metroliner,

But I'm also much fascinated by yeallow and black Cargo Railway # 4558, probably it is even better than Metrorail, it is very futuristic and has always made me think of Japan.

As for cargo trains my 4565 is definitely the best.

The Emerald Night doesn't appeal much to me, I like it but I wouldn't say it is on top of my list.

Edited by Night City Dream

The Emerald Night doesn't appeal much to me, I like it but I wouldn't say it is on top of my list.

agreed, The Emerald Night isn't brilliant, but it isn't bad. I think the Santa Fe and BNSF are the coolest, sure BNSF has a few rough edges, but i think it is just as cool as the Santa Fe. :sweet:

Though a relatively old thread, it has been funny to read.

My own favourites are the 4558 Metro Liner (surprise, surprise...) and the 7745 High-Speed City Express. About the latter one, I have a vague memory of the commercial running on German TV at that time. If I remember right, the bricks came flying as the train was built up from the bottom as it was running along the tracks. It really made a little boy dreaming... :cry_happy:

(Does anyone else remember that? I'm just getting in doubt, if the technology was that advanced in the beginning of the 80s.)

As I'm new to trains, I only have got the 7938 Passenger Train which I think is the best passenger train (Santa Fe and her "sisters" not counted here) since the Metro Liner.* Though I'm not that interested in cargo trains, I must say, the cargo trains during the last 15-20 years, have had a much higher standard than their passenger counterparts.

NOTE ADDED:

* Just like more people have stressed here, the 7938 is not perfect, e.g. lacking light and doors. But now I will consider that challenges for some MODs to be done (plans are under way).

Edited by laka

My favourites are the 12v 7725

Intercity train set 12v 7740 and the 7745.

Also liked the cargo trains, which were two 7727 & 7735 and the push train 7710, which of course you could add a motor.

In the 9v era, the Metro liner. I did like the ICE train, apart from the missing doors, as it looks sort of scale, even though the real one ran off the rails in Eschede, killing 101.

Later still, the emerald night is the most realistic so far, the worst one I would say is the Railway Express - what a mess - at least it's good for bits!

I wouldn't call the 1st Hogwarts a Lego train, as it didn't have the correct wheels to go on tracks - until users threw those silly wheels away and fitted flange wheels.

traintech1.jpg

I think the best LEGO train ever made is the Metroliner. It's so cool, to bad it was discontinued :angry: but you can still buy it :sweet:

I think the best LEGO trains in the recent past have been created by the brilliant AFOLs out there. Browse this forum, or the many other places on the internet. Look at the Hobby Train set.

And I believe that since the internet is in full swing with forums, repositories, Flickr, BrickShelf, RailBricks, and so on and so forth TLC is learning from AFOLs to create their trains. Look at engines like the BR23 from Ben Beneke, the BR01 from Teddy, or Sava's beauties. It's not about TLC could never be able to sell such models at reasonable prices. It's about the building techniques these geniuses have used.

AFOLs can't create their own matching new pieces, like windshields, windows or whatnot.

So as far as I am concerned, the best LEGO train models ever where made by AFOLs.

Regards,

Thorsten

I agree with Toastie, there are a lot of good trains made from TLG and especially the 12 volt ones always bring back good memories for me, but if you are counting MOC's as well Ben Beneke's BR23 and Teddys's BRo1 are great looking trains not forgetting Selander's BR103. :thumbup:

But when I first saw the Metro liner I was quite disappointed, because it wasn't 12 volt and didnt really fit in with them. :sad: Maybe if it came out in red then it would of looked better :sceptic:

So as far as I am concerned, the best LEGO train models ever where made by AFOLs.

I tend to agree. When the Santa Fe and the BNSF came out, I thought they were brilliant but I couldn't afford them at that time. I still think they're great but for the price they sell them now on EBAY and BrickLink, I'd rather spend the money on parts for MOCs. They are more unique and they tend to be more detailed since selling price is not a constraint.

I do LOVE trains made by AFOL , my favorite so far, on that, is Gioppa's TGV :wub: As far as a train that I own, or can own... is a tough one. I like the Emerald night alot but, the Santa Fe and BNSF and the new Maersk better. As for a train set that is not based after an actual train, I'm with the Metroliner and "The Hornet", Cargo Railway. Of coarse, all Lego trains are great :classic:

Hmmm... tough choice... I'm going to have to go for the Metroliner and Club Car (4558/10001 and 4559/10002), however, this may all change with the new Maersk train. It looks simply fantastic!

Thanks Leg but I prefere the steam engine,so the emerald is incredible for me when i see it,but isn't the best.

The best for me was the good old 7720;ok it is my first lego train,have the motor,the signal stop the train,there is a railway crossroad(and it fit with my platform road),and there is one train driver,one driver for scraper(and it fit perfectly with one waggon)the ramp,another minifig and that strange device for change direction of the train.

That is a full set,for a busy city like mine(30 years ago).

I hope in a new steam engine from TLC(why don't have made the new H.P. train in that way??).

The emerald (original set)have only one problem and for that is not on the n 1 position,why i have to remove the fireplace for put the motor??is one of the best part of this set!

But we are lucky,we are afols and we made mod,so my emerald now is ad 4-8-4 and i have motor and fireplace on the same train.YES!!

7740 all the way, its perfection I would cut off my nuts to own one.

You would rather cut of your nuts than to spend 200 Euro? :laugh:

I'm a big fan of the 12V trains, with the 7740, 7727, 7750 and 7760 being the favorites. Another favorite is an "official LEGO MOC" (LOC?) from the 7777 idea book:

Oversized Image Removed

Of course, from an objective point of view, those old trains are just rather crude kids toys and some of the MOCs of recent years are much more detailed, realistic and impressive. I like them alot (especially steam engines), but those old 12V trains from my childhood just as much.

With so many trains out... how can I pick out one.... :tongue:

I love the Metroliner/Club Car, Sante Fe Super Chief, and Freight Rail Runner.

One train no one has mentioned yet is the Airport Shuttle - Town Monorail system. This was the

one set I always wanted when I younger.

Honorable mentions: 7740 Intercity Train, BNSF, Emerald Night, and 2126 Train Cars.

I am looking forward to the new Maersk train set.

A poll in this thread would be most interesting.

Well, it was started back in 2009.

I would say the Maersk engine. I love American railroading especially the 70's and 80's. The Maersk loco is a take on an EMD SD-45 or similar model. I just wish Lego would do more American diesel models.

It would also need like, 50 choices :laugh:

:laugh: Right. One with the top 10 most popular ones would be interesting though. Something like Santa Fe, Metroliner, the monorails, and all those that you always hear about when people speak of their favorite trains. :sweet:

I would say the recent 7939. Why do you ask?

-A complete set (you can get started once you have the batteries)

-Great looking engine (IMO)

-Decent track size

-Decent amount of figs

-Compatible with other PF parts (lights RE battery)

-Good price

-Good playability

-Attractive to both Afols and Kfols

But ofcourse everyone has a different opinion, influenced by demographic, education, and your own personal taste (like I don't like the new Maersk train since it's an US-like train)

Hi Everyone,

I'm usually in the town forum, but decided to add a post to this discussion.

My first Lego train was the 7722. At the time when I got it (for Christmas, 1986 !!! ), I thought it was the best Lego set I had ever got. I rebuilt that train countless times, and I no longer have the instructions.

I did have numerous problems with this train. The first was that the batteries didn't last long, and that they were 'C' cell, so they were expensive, too. I had to build it a few times modifying it to not include the electric motor because I wanted to at least push it along. I had a lot of fun with this set, but that's not all...

Fast forward 20 years and my son gets me back into Lego by constantly showing me the stuff on Lego.com. I had never seen a train so beautiful as the Emerald Night. I bought one, and about $600 worth of track, and we built and set it up under the Christmas tree that year (2009). That was a most enjoyable and fun build. I still love the look, the size, and the color of the Emerald Night train.

Fall of 2010, I decided to stock up on some of the Lego that I really like, and bought myself 7 of these to put away. You never know when you'll want to build more of them!

Then, in January a photo of a Maersk train was leaked on the internet. I waited patiently and when it was released, ordered several. I thought this was the best Lego train to ever have come along. However, while building it, I was very displeased with it. Numerous parts are very fragile, and it didn't seem to "flow" together, merely it was "thrown" together, or so it seemed. My wife knocked my finished train off the shelf one day while I was at work, and it's been in the thousand pieces ever since, I'm not interested really in rebuilding it.

Over the years I've gawked at some of the trains I will probably never own, the Santa Fe, and the BNSF. I'd have to say out of all of the Lego trains I have built, the Emerald Night is my most favourite Lego train. I would like to see a BNSF up close as I'd definitely consider that to be a contender as well. The Maersk train is nice, with lots of details. I just didn't like the assembly of it, and was put of by that.

So, here's a summary of my favourites:

1st Pick: Emerald Night

2nd/3rd Pick: BNSF or Maersk Train (tied, since I have never built a BNSF)

Locutis