Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

7898 Cargo Train Deluxe Variation

traintech1.jpg

I recently had an opportunity to pick up train set 7898, Cargo Train Deluxe at a Lego store in Downtown Disney, and was a bit surprised to discover a variation in the boxcar.

In looking at a few high-resolution images of the set before purchasing, I noticed this unique boxcar that had two upside down slopes and black ladder pieces:

7898boxcarv1.jpg

7898boxcarv2.jpg

In addition, images of this set with the "sloped" boxcar even appeared on ILTCO:

Image 1 Image 2

Upon building the set, I soon discovered a flat-sided boxcar with a mere 3x4 wall-piece used on each side of the wagon.

Although a minor variation, I am a bit surprised to find a different model then these picks.

For those of you who own this set, I would be interested in knowing if you have the sloped boxcar variation or the flat-sided? Perhaps these images were only proto-type versions?

I don't think anyone has the flat sided one, that is from a promo catalog released months before the set was.

Mine is flat too... guess they must have redesigned the set at some point...

Mine is also flat on both sides as well. Interesting find though, but I think it looks kind of odd, like it sticks too far out or something.

Mine is also flat on both sides as well. Interesting find though, but I think it looks kind of odd, like it sticks too far out or something.

Mine is also flat. But there seems to be also something at the right side of that waggon, is that a sticker or?!

Interesting find. Thanks for telling us. That's really odd that there seem to be two versions of this train set available. So there must also be two different types of instruction books. By the way, I find the waggon with the sticking out parts (sloped version) nicer.

I liked the sloped version better as well. I think it gives the boxcar a more unique look. In fact, I've built a similar boxcar that I'll share soon.

Strangely, even the main picture on Lego SAH shows the boxcar with the sloped bricks.

I liked the sloped version better as well. I think it gives the boxcar a more unique look. In fact, I've built a similar boxcar that I'll share soon.

Strangely, even the main picture on Lego SAH shows the boxcar with the sloped bricks.

I got a plain one.

Maybe it depends on your location. IMHO flat sided is more authentic for Europe.

I don't have the set but i like it a lot.

I found two pics that showed the difference very clear:

7898boxcarinbox.png

7898boxcarinpromo.png

I also have a question for the people who own the set:

On the inside flap of the box what type is shown?

Edited by FreeBee

I also have a question for the people who own the set:

I bought this set recently from S@H and the box artwork all features the sloped design. The actual box car is the straight version though. Maybe this was a reasonably last-minute change after the box and publicity material had been finalised.

I found two pics that showed the difference very clear:

Thanks for sharing FB. Great detailed pictures.

My box has the flat side boxcar - no sloped bricks. Sounds like they had a few versions of the box as well.

I tried building the car in blue with the sloped brick design. I think it came out pretty well. - Boxcar Blue