Sign in to follow this  
Anatomist

Message in a bottle

I recently had access to a message that was found in a bottle and I need some help from you, experienced men and women from the sea.

Receiving support from several nations, there is a group of skilled men working on the design of a vessel that seems to be very similar to the Brickbeard class of full-rigged brigs. The location of this project is yet to be revealed, but seems to be from an uncharted island out of the coast of the Americas. There is a big rumor that this vessel, once created, will be very fast...

Not that I am involved or care about it, but just out of curiosity, to expand a standard size Brickbeard rig into one with 2 extra mid parts (4541874) and continue to have a 2 masts vessel, is there a tutorial on how to build the content to make the upgrade seamless, or does the person in charge of the design has to figure it out it on his own by trial/error and looking for the extra parts required to " fill the hole"?

Also, on the same page, what about the size of the masts? They seem too short, so does the person in charge just replicate one of the portions of the base of the mast or there is a step by step tutorial on how to bring these things to a better proportion?

Lastly, in average, what is the cost in North American Dollars to bring a standard (out of the box) ship into a more realistic, double decked vessel?

Thank you, in advance, for your help. You will hear from me soon...

Also, on the same page, what about the size of the masts? They seem too short, so does the person in charge just replicate one of the portions of the base of the mast or there is a step by step tutorial on how to bring these things to a better proportion?

Masts are difficult to build - either you need to go fully brick-built, or you could experiment with attaching two mast sections together. I use 2 old-style small masts, with a new style (hole in the bottom) 4x4 brown tub as a crow's nest inbetween the two sections. Then a 4L bar goes up the middle of the tub, and into both of the mast pieces (I drill a small hole in the horizontal reinforcement at the base of the top mast to make the bar fit, but it's not noticable).

If you're just looking for masts a bit longer than the BB ones, go with the full old-style assembly (tall base, middle section, platform, 2 long riggings, small mast).

Various ship and mast building techniques can be found in the Accessory MOCs index and Ship index. Hornbricker is also working on a ship building tutorial/index, here.

Thank you very much for your reply SlyOwl. I had a chance to see some of your work on your Flickr portfolio, very impressive!

Well, I guess I have the information I need.

Once again, thank you.