DSC02221es.jpg

It's been a dream of mine to own a LEGO Technic Supercar... and it's still a dream! (I'm not a big fan of spending large amounts of money on used LEGO.) But I have now achieved the next best thing; a recreation of 8466 using the parts I have. To make this several sets had to die; 8106 Aero Booster, 8292 Cherry Picker, 8838 Shock Cycle, 8145 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, 8297 Off-Roader and 8386 Ferrari F1 Racer are the most notable ones.

DSC02224es.jpg

Mechanically it's 90% the same, structurally it's about 60% and externally it's... well it's close, but since I didn't have many of the original fairings that had more holes in them I had to make bigger changes there!

DSC02225es.jpg

In a lame effort to make it look accurate I used some of the clear engine blocks.

DSC02226es.jpg

The gear box was my main goal. I've been studying the pictures and instructions of the supercars for a while, but I still was unclear what was actually going on. Making one and being able to observe one first hand has enabled me to finally understand what is actually going on. This one in particular is cool as it has 5 speed and reverse. Supercar owners will notice that I don't have the correct gearbox top piece.

DSC02240es.jpg

It's a big beasty of a model. To me the biggest failing is the smaller wheels; I might bite the bullet there and buy the real ones!

DSC02227es.jpg

The doors to this are very cool. They can be controlled individually and you simply press the axel on the top...

DSC02228es.jpg

...and the top lifts at the same time as the bottom lowering. Flashy, but not unbelievable.

DSC02239es.jpg

For added proof how big this is; 'Daddy! Can I drive? Pleeeease?' Unlike the current Technic line, the steering wheel is not just decoration. The interior is the original design but I went for the leather option.

DSC02241es.jpg

I used up most of the Ferrari 599 fairing and flexible axel parts on this!

DSC02237es.jpg

The center diff; one of the rare true LEGO 4x4s. It was one of the main reason why I made this and not the Super Street Sensation. (I'd rather have made 8880 but it is older and I am missing too many parts still.)

DSC02233es.jpg

Rear view. You can see in the foreground the mechanics for the doors and in the background the rear of the gearbox.

DSC02234es.jpg

Front diff. The model uses an interesting (and rather wasteful) technique of having a gear as a spacer.

DSC02230es.jpg

One of my big disappointments with the current 8297 Off-Roader is the suspension is way too stiff. Arguably this is correct, but it makes a poor technical demonstration. This model however has a much better suspension with better travel... however (at least with mine) the front seems slightly too soft. I'll probably try to tweak it by adding a second shock later.

DSC02235es.jpg

Here's one reason why this model is far superior to most modern Technic sets; it has a four studded beams running for most of the length of the chassis. These beams are then cross reinforced. Thus no flexing. Note the lime parts in the steering; building this was a strain on my parts.

DSC02236es.jpg

So does this mean I no longer want a real supercar set, new or old? Not really; in fact it makes me want one more! The amount of parts needed was stunning, but it does highlight that the parts are in circulation if TLG chose to make one. I suspect that they will in time. The new line of fairings should let them make a car that not only has great function but great looks as well!

DSC02231es.jpg

I really love the way LEGO do suspension. Building this has been an interesting experience. I don't own any of the older large sets and it seems to me that the instructions and the build itself have been simplified. Many of the steps needed more careful alignment than what is expected of today. I was dismayed how fast my collection of gears were whittled down, forcing me to pick more parts of other models and MOCs!

DSC02218es.jpg

So what's my rating? Well it seems rather silly to rate this set seeing I haven't actually got it... but I'll do it anyway!

Functions:

Shocks: Two front, two rear.

Drivetrain: 8 piston engine linked to the both wheels via 5 speed gearbox (with reverse), center differential, front and back differentials, plus universal and constant-velocity joints.

Steering: Rack and pinion via cab mounted steering wheel and hand of god on roof.

Doors: Damped gull wing doors with linked step.

This is the best drivetrain of any supercar. 10/10

Parts: Going by the original, this is a stunning kit. 10/10

Price: Looking at the sets I had to buy to be able to re-create this, I do wonder if I should have just bought one! I do have a lot of spare parts now though! However since I didn't buy this as a set the rating makes no sense. N/A

Looks: Looking at the set photos, this set always seemed un-impressive to me. It wasn't until I looked though the instructions when I realises how good this set was. Personally I think ignoring the smaller wheels, my version looks better... but it could just be that TLG took horrid photos. Eitherway, the original loses points here. 5/10

Fudge: It's a supercar. 10/10

Overall: Recommended. 10/10

orig.jpg

Notes:

1. There's more pictures here. Nothing special, just slightly different angles

2. The timing of my "review" has nothing to do with the recent ones by starstreak... it's just a freaky co-incidence!

What you've done looks great. It's amazing how many sets had to be part donors though. A worthwhile experiment I'd say, and hopefully one day you'll be able to acquire the sets you want in both the condition and price range that meets your satisfaction :classic:

I too would love to own 8466 or one of the other super cars, though I may have to settle for a super car released in the future. At least the Crane Truck should provide a fine distraction when it becomes available.

this is great, i like the color, i would not change the tires, they look great on that bodywork. Beautiful.

about drivetrain, i was reading somewhere that a guy put M motor instead the engine, and it struggles to drive the 8466. then he disconnected rear shaft, leaving only front wheels driven, and M powered 8466 with ease.

so it looks like 8466 drivetrain is good for demonstrating, not for using it with motors (probably the other bigger sets would have similar issues when driven via motor)

Edited by Milan

I used to own this set, I agree the set pictures and box art don't do it justice. The reason it finally went was due to the fact that is a huge model when built, and took up a lot of room on my display shelves. The gull wing doors were indeed a smart feature and the 5 speed gearbox very well done. I seem to remember the suspension was very soft on this model. A light press down on the top would make it bounce.

In the end I gave this one up rather than my 8880 simply because I love the old school technic more. Studless beams and panel fairings just don't quite do it for me in the same way as the original studded beams. Every Lego fan ought to own at least one of the super cars and for me personally the standard is set by 8880.

In fact I don't even buy technic sets anymore, I have Control Centre II, the Space Shuttle and the 8880 Super car and these fufill my technic needs and lately I haven't seen anything that comes close.

However for anyone who is seriously interested in this set, then go for it. It is a great example of technic construction and I'm sure you'll be suitably impressed.

That is an incredibly faithful reproduction of the set! I'll agree with Milan on the wheels; I always thought the wheels were oversized, no matter how cool they were, and the smaller ones fitted here really don't spoil the looks. Build-wise, it's not much more than a raised, four-wheel drive 8448, IMO - the doors are very cool, though, with the side-steps lowering down automatically when the door opens. :classic:

Also, as an owner of this set, I can indeed confirm what brickbitz said; the suspension is very soft, and even mushy, at it's best, which was a bit of a let-down, since the car is so front-heavy that it can barely hold up the front. There's also some issues with the parts used for transfering the power from the chassis to the wheels, which have way to much friction. But otherwise a fantastic set.

Great rendition of this model. The 8466 was a very impressive set and had true super car-like functionality, especially after the disappointing 8448 and 8458 that came before it.

One of the highlights of the original set were the massive wheels. They easily dwarf any other Technic wheel ever made and suit the model perfectly. However, they are very rare and expensive on Bricklink these days, at least $10 per wheel, so it probably isn't worth trying to get a full set of them.

The original model only has front wheel steering, but it's easy to make it 4-wheel. I have done that on mine.

One of my big disappointments with the current 8297 Off-Roader is the suspension is way too stiff. Arguably this is correct, but it makes a poor technical demonstration. This model however has a much better suspension with better travel... however (at least with mine) the front seems slightly too soft. I'll probably try to tweak it by adding a second shock later.

This is a problem on the original model too. In fact, the front shocks carry so much weight that they get slightly bent over time. I added an additional pair of shocks on both the front and back wheels to get around this.

Among the super cars, 8865 and 8448 have the best suspension, not too stiff nor too weak. 8880's suspension is fairly stiff, while 8466 in its stock form has the opposite problem.

Looks: Looking at the set photos, this set always seemed un-impressive to me. It wasn't until I looked though the instructions when I realises how good this set was. Personally I think ignoring the smaller wheels, my version looks better... but it could just be that TLG took horrid photos.

I think it's just the box/manual picture. I love the look of this set. Yours actually looks very close to the original except for the wheels, and the resulting lower height.

this is great, i like the color, i would not change the tires, they look great on that bodywork. Beautiful.

about drivetrain, i was reading somewhere that a guy put M motor instead the engine, and it struggles to drive the 8466. then he disconnected rear shaft, leaving only front wheels driven, and M powered 8466 with ease.

so it looks like 8466 drivetrain is good for demonstrating, not for using it with motors (probably the other bigger sets would have similar issues when driven via motor)

I motorized all four wheels with the 5292 RC motor a while ago and it worked fairly well. The small bevel gears above the differentials are a bottleneck in the drivetrain and tend to slip frequently. The assembly there needs to be reinforced or rebuilt in some way.

In the end I gave this one up rather than my 8880 simply because I love the old school technic more. Studless beams and panel fairings just don't quite do it for me in the same way as the original studded beams. Every Lego fan ought to own at least one of the super cars and for me personally the standard is set by 8880.

I partly agree with you on this, but I have still continued to buy any standout studless Technic sets like this one. I actually have two of these sets, one of which I got for free due to a freak glitch on Lego S@H's part and still haven't opened. :grin:

Edited by CP5670

I am glad I was able to acquire the 8466 and the 8448 new-in-box for my collection.

The 8448 was the set that brought me out of my dark ages.

Very nice work! Good job at getting the gearing. Even after putting together the gears on the rebuilds, I still can't wrap it around my mind how they even dream up of these stuff!

I motorized all four wheels with the 5292 RC motor a while ago and it worked fairly well. The small bevel gears above the differentials are a bottleneck in the drivetrain and tend to slip frequently. The assembly there needs to be reinforced or rebuilt in some way.

Good to know that, thanks.

Others have said it already, but excellent job at re-creating this set!

Like you and many others, I wish that TLG would produce another Technic supercar. Even a return to studded frames that don't flex like all get out would be something to celebrate.

I saw youre picture and clicked on it. Considering this is all made up, I think this is a 5/5 job. Love it. I don't think I could do that. Or maybe it's the part about dismantling so much other sets to make it. :)

Good evening from germany!

Great Job! Your recreation looks beautiful! I always had an eye on 8466 and - lucky me - I was able to buy it on ebay for a good price in nearly perfect condition - only the studded beams were a little dusty. We finished building it two hours ago and it was a great relief that no parts were missing. This is of course a monster of a machine! But it seems to me that the red colour and the smaller tires give it a more sporty look. I don't have the guts to tear so many sets apart for building a recreation! So again: cudos to you!

Greetings from Lupus

Wow! That is one of the coolest technic models I've ever seen. I agree, the small wheels are better. I think it would look fantastic if you dropped the back down a little bit. It would look almost like a Porsche Cayenne:

porsche-cayenne-gts-wallpaper1.jpg

James Bond car, by the way.

I have a question :

How can I motorize it ?

From my experience it's easier to start from scratch. The drive train is not designed for it... but I'll be checking out what that guy did to modify it. :tongue:

I have to say, I really love what you did! I own this kit and must say that the steering on this kit has something to be desired, I am currently trying to figure out an alternative to the factory steering. It seems the alignment is wacked. I have made mine 4 wheel steering, and to say the least now the alignment is even worse. any of you experience the same? I owned this kit from Legoland, I have built it once, my son built it and now I went for a huge modification which I will share after I get the steering situation dealt with. Not sure I will motorize this one though.

Edited by Fyredog

Seeing this reminds me of those years that have passes. I remember this as being the only interesting Technic set from that time, and I'm very fortunate to own it. Brings back good memories, thanx for posting !!

You're right, Jurgen, 8466 was probably the premier set of 2001--not only the best Technic set, but rather the best set of them all from that year. When I think about the finest official Technic sets, this one ranks only behind the 8448 Super Street Sensation in style. You can tell that a design is truly great if it inspires homages like the this one. :cry_happy:

I'll probably steal some of the modifications seen here (neon headlights, tan seats) for when I overhaul my copy.