Sign in to follow this  
ZO6

REVIEW: 5980 Squidman's Pitstop

Greetings all!

I've been putting off posting forever and figured it was about time to make a contribution to this wonderful community. After seeing that most of the summer LEGO sets were put up on S@H yesterday, I decided to pop into my local TRU to see if they had anything new since last weekend. To try and make a long story short - I ended up buying Squidman's Pitstop, and so here is what I hope you will find to be a useful review :classic:

Name: Squidman's Pitstop

Set #: 5980

Number of Pieces: 389

Price: $64.99 CAD ($49.99 USD)

Front of box

3665380889_a7db193cbd_o.jpg

Back of box showing some of the features

3665381055_a4bdd39cc1_o.jpg

Top of box showing the included minifigs

3666185746_6ffd3e9eea_o.jpg

Contents of box include 4 numbered bags of parts, each with another smaller bag contained inside.

3665381303_04a4a032f4_o.jpg

Also in the box are 2 instruction books, the sticker sheet (in this case most likely a DSS for many), and a red rubber hose.

3665381909_77371d3c6a_o.jpg

Close up of the stickers

3665382033_bcd76b4b4f_o.jpg

Contents of bag #1 (This includes all the parts to build the minifigures and the police ship)

3665382287_d2d944675d_o.jpg

The figures

3665382625_760a77f9f4_o.jpg

Early stage of the police ship

3666187458_24538656e7_o.jpg

For the most part I found the quality of the pieces in the set to be quite good (colour and grip), however I still noticed that some of the white pieces were slightly yellow. It may not be easily seen in this picture, however the brick on the left with the blue pin sticking out of it is a bit yellowed compared to the brick next to it.

3665382943_8bb35b9f07_o.jpg

More shots of the police ship being built

3665383183_a11f6ecb7a_o.jpg

3665383269_26e49e16b1_o.jpg

The completed ship (including all the stickers)

3665383379_63053d817a_o.jpg

3666187990_033d0b1cae_o.jpg

3665383585_1956a47c8e_o.jpg

3665383675_f3a5452914_o.jpg

The police ship is actually pretty nice looking when you see it in person. So everyone knows - there are no controls in the cockpit + there is a large gap at the front of the ship meaning the whole vehicle is not airtight (these things do not bother me but may be negatives for others).

3665383765_517c72b04a_o.jpg

The contents of the second bag (this includes the pieces to build the 3 "baddie" vehicles)

3666188380_da4f44894f_o.jpg

3665384033_36901d3ae4_o.jpg

The completed vehicles

3665384143_52f9371fef_o.jpg

Squidman's - I quite like the ship, looks neat and has great swooshability

3665384221_2b76b374e0_o.jpg

3665384345_81299a6c89_o.jpg

Snake's - Another fun little ship, I think if the engine pieces were chrome it would look better though

3665384445_f76f238f28_o.jpg

3666188980_b07f362de4_o.jpg

3666189076_fec97b6039_o.jpg

Twin's - The weakest of the vehicles IMO. In fact I think it looks fairly ugly as I'm not a fan of the spikes

3665384771_8867100921_o.jpg

Contents of bag #3 (this builds the lower part of the pitstop and takes us to the end of the first instruction booklet)

3665384895_eea14a0b2f_o.jpg

3666189546_06c54514ae_o.jpg

Inside the toolbox is a stick of dynamite

3666189628_c7b5c1cb24_o.jpg

3666189770_470c590d0c_o.jpg

End of bag 3

3665385391_e95f2067ba_o.jpg

The red piece is on a hinge and is used to launch the yellow barrels (similar to the method used in the Echo Base set to send the Rebel troops flying)

3665385493_7f56739752_o.jpg

3666190182_cc121d89b8_o.jpg

At the back left corner is a safe containing 3 gold bars. This is later hidden by the "Universe-L Spare Parts" sign

3666190096_4f3593a8f4_o.jpg

The contents of the 4th and final bag of parts

3666190308_265e78ea39_o.jpg

The pieces are now used up. All that remains is to position the accessories and minifigs

3665385905_40aa196f68_o.jpg

3666190552_c89c713c21_o.jpg

The gray lever is rotated to make the tool wall change to the weapon rack. (4 weapons are included and can be seen here)

3665386235_0882bb22c8_o.jpg

The sign from the front...

3666190922_e6e85cfe80_o.jpg

...and at the back are hidden 4 flick fire missiles. The sign can rotate and whatnot so that it can be positioned nicely however you want.

3666190844_0995ae6f96_o.jpg

Behind this sign is where the safe containing the gold is hidden

3665386481_27d8915410_o.jpg

The bullet holes and graffiti on the window

3665386585_a3588d5879_o.jpg

I was a bit disappointed to learn a few days ago from looking at pics from Brickworld that these pieces are not actually slices of pizza but instead spare wings that could be used on either Squidman or Snake's ship.

3665386681_4c7ed9a414_o.jpg

The left over parts. I gave the cop the handcuffs of course and then the pistol to Squidman

3665386789_5391f0b90d_o.jpg

Everything together

3665386923_ecd5694c74_o.jpg

Interior before and after wall rotation

3666691274_5aa8bc9eed_o.jpg

3666691392_70338d28bd_o.jpg

And then a few pics for fun...

3666191770_31f5f5ce4e_o.jpg

3665387405_f503c58845_o.jpg

3665387515_1f676f1878_o.jpg

If anyone has any questions or picture requests be sure to let me know! :classic:

Final thoughts and ratings

I want to start by saying that I think Squidman's Pitstop is a nifty little set. It may not be physically very big, but all the contents including the accessories, vehicles, and minifigures make it seem like to have a fair amount to mess around with. I was initially a bit disappointed with the price of the set (I only found out for the first time at checkout exactly how much it cost) though I quickly made myself feel a bit better by comparing it to Soldier's Fort - same price however Squidy's hideout contained more pieces. Though Soldier's Fort is structurally larger, it doesn't feel really any bigger as a set once you factor in all the vehicles and whatnot with the Pitstop set (hope that made sense, but if it did not...don't worry about it). I guess what I am trying to get at is that in relation to other sets Squidman's Pitstop gives you just as much, if not more to play around with.

Price: 6/10 - The $65 CAD ($50 USD) does not surprise me, however I would have been much happier paying $50 CAD ($40 USD)

Pieces: 8/10 - There is a huge variety of pieces in this set! Though some may not like what is included, personally I find the variety quite refreshing.

Minifigs: 8/10 - 4 minifigs are included. I think that each one is fantastic - they are creative and nicely detailed. The reason I docked some points is because for those collecting all the Space Police sets, they will soon have a small army of Snake.

Playability: 9/10 - Launch the barrels, flip the tools wall to make it the weapons rack, stash gold in the hidden safe, flick fire missiles, lots of little ships, lots of accessories.

Overall: I'd say about an 8/10. It's the set as a whole that feels pretty great. This seems as though it will be much more of a love/hate set. I don't love it, but I'm very glad I own it.

I feel as though I've forgotten to say a lot, but I'll end my review here. I hope this review has been helpful, and be sure to leave lots of comments : )

I look forward to posting lots from now on and hope to become valued member on the wonderful Eurobricks community.

Cheers!!!

Edited by ZO6

Sorry for the delay. Just eating supper and than I will be able to finish up. :sceptic:

From what I can see so far, all the vehicles look good except for the spikey car. Squidmans speeder looks pretty awsome, the other two flying ones are okay, and the car looks pretty dumb.

Thanks for reveiwing, I look forward to the next half.

So far only the police ship is up, but I can't wait for the rest of the review. Already, I feel like this was a poorly-designed, after-thought set sold to make money. In the box pictures, the pit stop looks very bare, and the police ship (I think) is a disgrace. :sadnew: I might change my opinion later, but for now, this is where I stand. Also, it would be nice if a Mod could add a poll. :sweet:

EDIT: I can now see most of the pics for the pit stop. Very bare, and not much to do with it. The "bad guy" vehicles are very weak, almost a joke. I like the idea of that piece used as a spine for the Twin's vehicle, it just wasn't done properly. Oh well, you can still mod the set. Speaking of which, those toxic symbols could come in handy.

Edited by Spyder

This set had a great concept but has been poorly executed. The structure looks pretty small for a $50 set and has a very jumbled look, as if it was thrown together at the last minute. I especially don't like those spikes. On the plus side, it does have a lot of equipment and the stickers are well designed, adding a lot to the look and feel of the set.

Among the vehicles, I like the police craft and the baddie ship in the middle is decent. Adding a 1x2 brick would easily close up the police ship, and it makes you wonder why TLG didn't do that themselves. The other two vehicles are lousy though.

I get the impression that they cut down on the original concept a lot to keep costs down, but then it makes you wonder why the set is priced so high. They should have dropped out most of the vehicles and beefed up the pitstop structure instead.

Edited by CP5670

Finally finished adding all the pictures back into the review, thanks for sticking with me. I've added a few other comments throughout as well.

I definitely agree with what some have said about the Twin vehicle so far - it's pretty weak at the moment. I personally think it would look better if it were done with colours more to a throw back of Octan stuff seeing how it's driver has a faded Octan logo on his uniform. It could also do without the spikes and instead have a steering wheel!!

I don't think that the pitstop is very empty - there is quite a bit to fiddle around with though it may not be apparent in photos. It really does come across nicely as being a trashy, shifty, hideout/repair shop for the aliens.

You did a very well review, ZO6 !

But, I'm not sure about this set. The general idea is good but the realisation misses something...

I like the rotating wall with the guns behind, but the whole design of the set is ... dumpy ?

ZO6, you are right, there is more to fiddle with than what it first appears like. I just might actually get this set. The price seems a bit steep for only 389 pieces though. :sceptic: Anyway, thanks for the review, it actually made me like this set just a tad more. I didn't mean to be so critical in my first post, I just think that after all the great SP III sets we've had so far, this one was kind of a letdown. You can always mod it or make one yourself.

there is quite a bit to fiddle around with though it may not be apparent in photos

Very right. The picture on the front of the box is at an angle that makes it seem little and bare.

Overall, I guess my only gripe with this set is the steep price, and that I was hoping/expecting a bigger base for the baddies.

^

I definitely agree that the set is overpriced. As I said, a $50 CAD or $40 U.S. (or cheaper) price would be much easier to swallow considering what you're getting. Due to my love for LEGO I can pretty much always look past the price of a set, however there are many out there who don't have as much cash to spend. The 6/10 for pricing is a bit of a compromise between me feeling that the price is maybe a 7/10 whereas for most it may be around a 4/10 or 5/10. The other ratings are strictly my own opinion though.

I think perhaps to play it safe - unless you really want this set and are fully aware of it's pros and cons, wait for it to go on sale.

Maybe if we are lucky we might one day get a base for both the baddies and the police that do them justice :blush:

Edited by ZO6

It does seem pretty bare for a $50 set.

The chop shop itself looks great. The color's a little random IMO but looks great.

The look awesome too. For me it's a rarity that a small ship would get an angled wing.

I couldn't say I like the LOLBIGSPIKE car. It's like it was thrown together last minute.

Minifig variety's great, but you can get the Squidman and the Cyclops in cheaper sets. I wish they had the other aliens instead.

IMO, it's supposed to be empty because it's a garage/chop shop of sorts.

Edited by Raven Brickroft

great review, eventhough i've never heard of this set in my life! its kinda weak IMO, the only good part is the pit stop. the vehicles need to be a bit better.

Thank you for the great review, ZO6. It was rather impressive, especially considering that you're brand new. :thumbup:

After looking over the pictures of this set, I must say that it's a lot better than I originally thought. While I was never as opposed to it as some people, I too thought that it was a bit plain-looking and thrown together. What I can now see is that it has a lot of really cool functions and play features - the folding out gun rack and the hidden safe are really neat. The vehicles also don't look that bad either, aside from the horrible land rover. The only thing I'm upset about is that there's no exclusive figures to really make this a must-have for Space Police fans - just the same old lot that we've already gotten in other sets. :thumbdown:

Finally a good look at one of my favorate new sets!

I <3 those vehicles, especialy the twins one and snakes

Edited by dannylonglegs

Welcome to EB.... thanks for the review.... and what an odd set! :tongue: I like the overall concept (especially the rotating wall), but it doesn't work for me. It's quite clearly just a filler set and doesn't add much to the line.

That's a pretty neat set. I agree that the two swooshy vehicles look great, but I'm not so much for the spike buggy.

:thumbup:

Thanks for review! I must get this set, of course after sale :tongue:

Good ideas, poor design...Lego sucks with Limited edition sets! Instead of 4 bad looking ships (The squidman one is the best) they should made a bigger base with one (but customisable) ship... The rat addition is weird too...But Golden rat throphy would be awesome! Instead of spike they should put four arms here...

What I like:

-Secrets- Weapon rack, missle launcher, safe

-Paradisa windowpiece (two would be better)

-Spray bottles

-Nuclear waste barels

-four aliens in one place

What I don't like:

- No unique bricks and minifigs

- Rat in space

- Price

Thanks for the review, nicely done. I like the look of this set a lot actually and the scenario and all the little vehicles look fun. Squidman is one of my favorite aliens - he really looks like a shady dodgy character rather than an out-and-out hardened criminal. Kind of like Quark from Star Trek DS9. I kind really see him running this kind of dodgy "pitstop" operation!

About the only negative would be if pricing is as suggested - but it's usually just a matter of looking around/patience to get such sets for closer to their "reasonable" price - especially if it is just a matter of €5/€10.

At first I wasn't interested in this set, but you may have changed that. It has a certain appeal- it's a concept LEGO's never tried before, and it's interesting because of it. However it's biggest flaw is it's price. I don't know if I'll get this, but I'll definitely consider it .

Welcome to EB.... thanks for the review.... and what an odd set! :tongue: I like the overall concept (especially the rotating wall), but it doesn't work for me. It's quite clearly just a filler set and doesn't add much to the line.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone, having been in "read only mode" for the past couple years it's nice to finally break the ice.

This definitely is an oddball set, but for me that's one of it's biggest charms - it actually looks pretty neat on display and stands out from the crowd.

do you live in usa or Uk Z06?

Canada is where I call home, and I'm somewhat fortunate to live just 15 minutes from the largest TRU in the country.

At first I wasn't interested in this set, but you may have changed that. It has a certain appeal- it's a concept LEGO's never tried before, and it's interesting because of it. However it's biggest flaw is it's price. I don't know if I'll get this, but I'll definitely consider it .

I would also have a higher opinion of this if the price was lower. I think they should have just dropped all the vehicles out and priced it at $30 or so, which would have made it a lot more appealing and a good candidate for mods.

I would also have a higher opinion of this if the price was lower. I think they should have just dropped all the vehicles out and priced it at $30 or so, which would have made it a lot more appealing and a good candidate for mods.

..and packed the vehicles as separate impulse sets; instead of the current ridiculously small impulses we have...