Sign in to follow this  
Athos

"Marley was dead..."

"...it came on through the heavy door, and passed into the room before his eyes. Upon its coming in, the dying flame leaped up, as though it cried, ``I know him! Marley's Ghost!'' and fell again.

The same face: the very same. Marley in his pigtail, usual waistcoat, tights, and boots; the tassels on the latter bristling, like his pigtail, and his coat-skirts, and the hair upon his head. The chain he drew was clasped about his middle. It was long, and wound about him like a tail; and it was made (for Scrooge observed it closely) of cash-boxes, keys, padlocks, ledgers, deeds, and heavy purses wrought in steel..."

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Athos/Vi...tmascarol1d.jpg

The whole ghostly gallery:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=156986

Steve

Good capture of a classic. I like that Scrooge is a wrinkly and grumpy looking old man.

All the needed details are there like the clock and you have made a nice looking chair also.

There's another thread for it somewhere else. You'll just have to invent some Pirate connotations for it till I can be bothered sorting it out!

I imagine it was posted, by me, in the former omnibus historical forum and when the forums were split, this one was sent the wrong way...

Steve

As far as I can remember there were two. I think at the time I let one go to the History and Adventurer forum and the other found its way here.

Is not this marley that ghost from that scrooge story told of christmas time?

Yep, Jacob Marly is Ebeniezer Scroog's dead co-worker in "A Christmas Carol" by Carles Dickens, a very good book. (And I'm Jewish)

You shouldn't need to be Jewish to appreciate fine literature Mr Oo7! That story is a classic and given there have been several main stream movies based on the story its hard to be familiar with the story. That's if you live in a country that gives you exposure to that kind of thing, if not then I probably should stop writing...

Is not this marley that ghost from that scrooge story told of christmas time?

Yep, Jacob Marly is Ebeniezer Scroog's dead co-worker in "A Christmas Carol" by Carles Dickens, a very good book. (And I'm Jewish)

Is this the story of Scrog being visited by the three ghosts where they take him through a journey of his life and he wakes up the next day as a fresh man?

Yes, this is the story of Ebeniezer Scrooge who is visted by the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future. I remember watching the Disney version over and over and over when I was a wee lad. I think that's where the character Scrooge McDuck originated from.

Does anyone else think Jacob Marley would make a good pirate name?

What do you mean by Disney version as I recognise Disney as the one who made all those cartoon fairy tails and this story is by no means a fairy tail from my understanding of them.

Isn't Marley the name of a signer who was from the caribbean?

Bob Marley was the Rastafarian reggae artist! Maybe that's why I associate the name "Marley" with Pirates being that they both existed in the Caribbean in some point in history.

He looks very happy indeed..

BOB.jpg

Mr Steampunk himself calls out!

Has anyone done a custom pirate/Rastafarian mini-figure with dreadlocks? Did Jo Jo do one?