Sign in to follow this  
Zorro

Review: 6268 Renegade Runner

indexed.gif

The Renegade Runner, commanded by Captain Ironhook, is one of the three ships released in the second LEGO Pirates line (the others being the Skulls Eye Schooner and the Imperial Flagship). Although reasonably small, the Renegade Runner is feared for her incredible speed and fearsome crew...

Set name: Renegade Runner

Theme: Pirates

Subtheme: Pirates

Set number: 6268

Number of pieces: 171

Minifigs: 4

Released: 1993 (discontinued)

Release price: 40 USD

Current price: 40 - 100 on Bricklink and eBay, 189 for MINT (Bricklink)

Brickshelf

Peeron

Bricklink

Box

6268-1.jpg

The front of the box. With thanks to Brickset and Whitefang.

misb-6268-renegaderunner-open.jpg

This is how a 6268 MISB set looks like :oh3: . With thanks to ACPin for this one and the next.

misb-6268-renegaderunner-back.jpg

As usual the alternative building options can be found on the back of the box.

Instructions

instructions1.jpg

The frontpage of the instructions sheet, showing us another picture of the ship.

instructions2.jpg

The building is done in small steps, smaller then the steps of the SES in any case. Of course it is the question this is a positive point or not (probably not for adults, maybe for young kids).

instructions3.jpg

And the back: again the ship, this time with a pirate that goes on land to burry the treasure.

Minifigs

minifigs1.jpg

4 Minifigs, that is just enough for a ship and set of this size. One imperial would have been nice though.

minifigs2.jpg

Their backs...no prints as this, in those days, wasn't common yet.

minifig4.jpg

I suggest to build a neutral sailor or soldier with this torso and hat, if you do not own any soldiers. This way you have two sides.

Again: I really mis an Imperial in this set, especcialy since a lot of smaller sets have one.

Parts

sails.jpg

The sails. Sorry they are a bit dirty, I still have to wash them... Good thing they are made of such high quality :thumbup: .

parts.jpg

As you can see, there are many weapons included with this set, which is no doubt a positive point! Two of the three muskets are still mounted like they are mounted on the ship.

You also get two pistols and four cutlasses and of course the cannon-without-wheels (I like the brown wheels :sceptic: ).

The compass that is included really works. Further you also receive a treasure chest with gold, a map to guide you to that treasure, a dragon plume and two pirate flags: a large one and a small one.

I give this set a 10/10 on the parts section, since I think you really have many items for your four pirates.

Overview

new2.jpg

The entire ship: the blue and red colors are nice if used seperatly but I have my doubts if they are combined like in the Renegade Runner!

schipzoom1.jpg

A peak inside. You can clearly see how the cannon is installed and where they 'hide' their treasure. There is also a wooden ladder to the command bridge, that hasn't got a steering wheel!

That is the biggest flaw I can find for now. It really wouldn't have added to the production cost to include a standard steering wheel...

Luckily one can easily add a tiller himself on this ship!

new1.jpg

There is no cabin on this boat, underneath the grey plates the Captain stands on, there is nothing but empty space.

dsc_0761.jpg

A pic that shows the bow and front of the ship.

The Ratings:

Price: 9/10 (The cheapest LEGO Pirates ship ever sold. Because of the many parts you get I also find it a fair price.)

Design: 7/10 (It REALLY lacks a steering wheel...and the 'cabin' could at least contain something like the treasure or barrel.)

Minifigs and parts: 9/10 (I give the maxium rating to the parts included, but the minifigs-rating could be a bit better since no Imperial soldier or guard are included, also no animals in this set!)

Playability: 8/10 (This set really needs another pirates set, preferrably one with soldiers, to play decently with. If one doesn't have other pirate sets, try making the sailer/soldier I showed you in the minifigure section.)

Overall/conclusion: 8.25/10 (I am happy I purchased this set when I was young, and I remember I used to have a lot of fun playing with it as the 'sidekick' of the larger ships! Of course this midget is nothing in comparison to the BSB or SES, but what do you expect for this price? You can nearly have three of these for the price of one of the above!

I can only say one more thing if you are planning of buying this set: watch the price carefully and ENJOY!)

And a little teaser...

story2.jpg

phes-zorrotext.jpg

Classic Pirates is saving up for a new server...

I don't own this, but it passed through my possession, en-route to ISC.

I can build the BSB in one building session, and the SES in one or two. With this one, however, I completely lost concentration when it came to the sails and mast, which isn't a positive sign.

However, it's perfect for playing with - the forward-positioned sails, rotating cannon and decent figure selection are great for that.

The figurehead is the highlight of this set (sorry ISC :pir-blush:), which nearly makes up for an otherwise aesthetically shoddy, but functional, build.

I'll pick one up at some point in my life, but it's by no means a priority, and only if it's really cheap. I always see it as part of the SES' fleet, but if not, it makes a good source of sails to expand the SES.

This is the most fantastic little ship ever. Even though its small it is still eye catching and it just looks great. The renegade runner is truly my favourate ship. Unfortunetley I dont own it :pir_bawling: BUT I WILL.

was a nice ship...is small and can be destroyed with a simple cannon shot, but not all ships must be powerful...in real pirates era there was powerful ships and not powerful ships(I'm sure Calico Jack's ship was something similar than Renegade runner :D)

And Is a good ship for a character like Ironhook...he looks like a loser, a shipwreck pirate, so a simple ship is ideal for him.

Sadly, i don't have it...i had it when i was 5, but i've lost it...fortunately i have all pirate sets i bought since i was 8

Thanks for the review, I love looking at the older Lego sets, though I dislike this particular set. I don't mean to offend anyone that likes this set, but to me it looks like a MOC I might have put together when I was 7 or 8... it just looks like two hull pieces slapped together, with a strange color scheme. Maybe I'm just missing wjat makes this set special and it's my loss, I dunno.

Edited by Paradosis

My parents said they might buy this for my birthday, so keep your thumbs crossed :thumbup: :thumbup: Good Review Zorro :pir-classic:

I just bought one of these last month. I haven't had a chance to put it together as I have been having fits for the last month trying to build the Capstan Inn.

Another great review of another classic set. Thanks so much for taking the time to put these reviews together. It must take a lot of time and effort and you did a great job.

cool review ^^ I love this little ship, so simple but looks so cool ^^

I always felt like this boat was missing the ship's wheel, but other than that it is a great set that allows you to have a pirate ship for less money. It looks balanced and has everything in the right place - unlike Cross Bone Clipper or even Armada Flagship.

Does anyone know (a trick) how to open up the hull pieces: 6050c05 and 6052c05?

There are a couple of screws, but also some sort of clips that keeps the two parts together.
I don't want to mess up an old, classic hull piece trying to open up the latter with a knife, screw driver or something...

I just bought a 6268 and washed it. But also want to dry it thoroughly :pir_laugh2:

8 hours ago, CvS said:

Does anyone know (a trick) how to open up the hull pieces: 6050c05 and 6052c05?

There are a couple of screws, but also some sort of clips that keeps the two parts together.

I think you are referring to the technique which I once described in this tutorial: :pir-classic:

7 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

I think you are referring to the technique which I once described in this tutorial: :pir-classic:

Yes, exactly! Big thanks! :pir-thumb:
I did a search here on 'Hulls' but didn't find this tutorial.

Still a bit hestitant to do this though, because of what you describe in your 'warning'.
I had a small go with a similar knife, but couldn't really get it in the slot (also afraid of breaking something).

I have no need to change the hull parts because of the colour.
Just want to dry them thoroughly; mainly beacuse of the screws, rust etc.

Just built this ship and I must say: quite a nice little ship.
I like it more then I thought. Or, to be honest, I even disliked it before.
Too small and compact, those colors, that silly figurehead, ...
I have never owned it before, as a kid, and didn't think I would ever buy it as an AFOL (since 1-2023).

But the urge to complete Classic Pirates sets '89 - '93 (plus '94 since last week) got the upper hand :pir-grin:.
Plus: someone unexpectedly accepted my bid on a sort of Dutch eBay. So I got it at a reasonable price.
Having really built it myself, I'm quite charmed by it. It's also not as small as I thought.
A windfall! 

This is actually one of the more 'realistic' pirate ships (excluding the large skull and crossbones printed on the mainsail), closer to what most pirates of the Caribbean actually used (ironically, 6271 is probably LEGO's best 'pirate' design in my opinion).  This set is one of LEGO's few sloop designs that was favored for vessels prowling coastal waters, where a fore-and-aft rig would be swifter and more maneuverable than a square rig in the variable winds near the coast (as well as requiring a smaller crew to handle). Despite not looking as impressive as larger ships, the smaller size and shallow draft of sloops allowed them to access/hide in areas inaccessible to larger ships, a useful trait for pirates.

I really like the pair of swivel guns mounted near the bow. This set is often criticized for not having a ship's wheel but I think vessels of this size were usually steered with a tiller (though there is no obvious tiller here either; 6250 oddly has both a wheel and a tiller but is probably worse than 6268 in every other way). An anchor is also missing but I imagine this boat is small enough to simply beach itself or be tied to a post.