Hi Sergio,

First of all, thank you for your great app! I like all the powerfull features it has. I do have a couple of problems though, maybe you can help me out?

1. The toolbox doesn't appear correctly (see links to images). And since the toolbox isn't resizable, I cannot work well with this app, since I cannot choose the colors. The checkbox Hide Patterned Parts is in front of the color selection. And the larger preview of the part section of the toolbox isn't displayed correctly either. Again, see my links. I hope it is some setting I got wrong or something. :classic:

image1

image2

2. When you hover a part over another part it 'snaps' into place. But this is very, very difficult to see. In LDD manager, the color of part where you can select it to, highlights with green lines around it. Is something like that possible to do? It should make the intuitivity a lot better/bigger. (Don't know if I put that right, english isn't my first language.)

3. In LDD, one of the most usefull general features I think is that if you want to connect a piece on top of another, you can just hover over it and it's there with one click. With SR 3D Builder, you first have to position your piece in line with the piece which you are trying to put it on top off (at least a bit to make the connection later on easier). Then you have to use your scroll wheel to go up or down with the piece to connect it. I sometimes have to scroll around one piece a long time at various angles, to make sure that the piece is in fact really over the piece I want to connect it to. Not a little bit to the left or right, not a bit to high or low. Do you know what I mean?

4. I like the instuction miner. But do you have an option to to actually build the model in the way one has ordered the parts with it?

5. I see in the status bar that you do state the part number. But as far as I can tell, there is no way of searching by part number? I tried several times, but it didn't gave any parts in return.

I hope to hear from you. Esp. since I like a lot of features in SR 3D Builder and it has the parts I need that LDD doesn't have.

Well, congrats with this great app and thanks again!

Hi Sergio,

First of all, thank you for your great app! I like all the powerfull features it has. I do have a couple of problems though, maybe you can help me out?

1. The toolbox doesn't appear correctly (see links to images). And since the toolbox isn't resizable, I cannot work well with this app, since I cannot choose the colors. The checkbox Hide Patterned Parts is in front of the color selection. And the larger preview of the part section of the toolbox isn't displayed correctly either. Again, see my links. I hope it is some setting I got wrong or something. :classic:

image1

image2

2. When you hover a part over another part it 'snaps' into place. But this is very, very difficult to see. In LDD manager, the color of part where you can select it to, highlights with green lines around it. Is something like that possible to do? It should make the intuitivity a lot better/bigger. (Don't know if I put that right, english isn't my first language.)

3. In LDD, one of the most usefull general features I think is that if you want to connect a piece on top of another, you can just hover over it and it's there with one click. With SR 3D Builder, you first have to position your piece in line with the piece which you are trying to put it on top off (at least a bit to make the connection later on easier). Then you have to use your scroll wheel to go up or down with the piece to connect it. I sometimes have to scroll around one piece a long time at various angles, to make sure that the piece is in fact really over the piece I want to connect it to. Not a little bit to the left or right, not a bit to high or low. Do you know what I mean?

4. I like the instuction miner. But do you have an option to to actually build the model in the way one has ordered the parts with it?

5. I see in the status bar that you do state the part number. But as far as I can tell, there is no way of searching by part number? I tried several times, but it didn't gave any parts in return.

I hope to hear from you. Esp. since I like a lot of features in SR 3D Builder and it has the parts I need that LDD doesn't have.

Well, congrats with this great app and thanks again!

Hi,

I cannot see the images you posted, anyway, as workaround, reset windows font size to their default and you should have no visualization problem.

for the rest... I have not the time to do everything you would like but:

- point 2 is not too difficult to do, maybe one day...

- point 3 nothing can be done at the moment. Consider that using the 'set grid to brick' functionality you can quickly align the grid with whatever part in the model and then easily connect the part

- point 4: saving your changes in instruction miner and then saving the model, causes the part will be saved in the order you specify in instruction miner

- point 5: use *xxxx to search for a part number in toolbox text search

HAVE a look to the manual also !!

Sergio

New version 0.5.6.2 with some really needed fixes for previous version about flex axles NON usability.

As before, download from my website:

http://staff.polito.it/sergio.reano

I apologize for this.

Sergio

Hi! I'am new here.

This is my first time try the SR 3D builder. The worm gearbox seem work fine.

10212 - UCS Imperial Shuttle

Drag mouse on the crank and watch the gears do their job.

video clip here: ( I post 16 LEGO video on youtube )

ldd4testnachapontlugthaibrickclub_com101031.jpg

Edited by bbqqq

Hi,

I cannot see the images you posted, anyway, as workaround, reset windows font size to their default and you should have no visualization problem.

for the rest... I have not the time to do everything you would like but:

- point 2 is not too difficult to do, maybe one day...

- point 3 nothing can be done at the moment. Consider that using the 'set grid to brick' functionality you can quickly align the grid with whatever part in the model and then easily connect the part

- point 4: saving your changes in instruction miner and then saving the model, causes the part will be saved in the order you specify in instruction miner

- point 5: use *xxxx to search for a part number in toolbox text search

HAVE a look to the manual also !!

Sergio

New version 0.5.6.2 with some really needed fixes for previous version about flex axles NON usability.

As before, download from my website:

I apologize for this.

Sergio

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for your reply! :laugh:

I don't know why you couldn't see my images, because the links work fine for me. But you nailed the problem anyway. I set the windows fonts at 125%. I reset it to 100% and problem 1 is solved. But it would be nice that one day we can resize the tool box. But thanks for solving the problem! :thumbup:

2. That would be really great. A very handy feature that isn't hard to integrate. As sad, would be wonderfull :laugh:

3. I hope this will come in the future. I have used the set brick to grid several times. But sometimes I think it's unpredictable. Some times it works wonderfully. But when I want to align vertically, on top of another part, and I set Brick To Grid, the selected brick rotates, so I cannot connect. Maybe I'm just not using it correctly. Anyway, I really like that you can align grids to bricks and set rotation points to bricks. But to build vertically, is very difficult compared to LDD.

4. I know what you mean. But that is not what I meant. I mean, once you have orginized with the miner, how can you build the actual manual and have an option to build a instruction manual with building steps etc?

5. I have tried several times. If you search for something that is in the part name, it will show. But if you search soly on part number like 3005, the 1 X 1 brick will not show up.

I did read you manual several times and experimented with it for a few days. That's why I asked you my initial questions, based on my findings...

Don't get me wrong, I realy like your program. It has great features the LDD doesn't have and I can use parts I cannot use in LDD. But there were some I like better in LDD and things that were unclear to me, so that's why I ask.

Again, congrats on your program :laugh::thumbup:

I don't know why you couldn't see my images, because the links work fine for me.

The Gallery was not public yet, so none could see the images.

Now it seems that images are available.

In my experience brickshelf galleries are not immediately public and sometimes even some days are needed for that.

The Gallery was not public yet, so none could see the images.

Now it seems that images are available.

In my experience brickshelf galleries are not immediately public and sometimes even some days are needed for that.

Thanks for sharing that! :wink: Always nice to know what the problem is :laugh:

Here is what's next: just a preview video.

This application version has still not been released

Sergio

That is simply stunning. You are definetly leading the way in state-of-the art LEGO CAD :classic:

Dear xSergio74,

Might you have any suggestions for exporting models from your fine SR3D Builder to a rendering software? I would like to render it with lights & animation & such, perhaps with Blender. Please, any ideas how to accomplish this?

Thank you very much. It is a fun and enjoyable program.

Dear xSergio74,

Might you have any suggestions for exporting models from your fine SR3D Builder to a rendering software? I would like to render it with lights & animation & such, perhaps with Blender. Please, any ideas how to accomplish this?

Thank you very much. It is a fun and enjoyable program.

Hi,

my application uses near the same file format used by lDraw/MLCad lego editors, so you can use the same methods you use with them to make professional renders.

As a starting information, just rename model files (or better make a copy renaming files) with extension .DAT

and then follow this links:

http://sr3d.spoonclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42 (official SR3D Builder forum)

http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads.html

where you can find many useful utilities and information for POV-Ray rendering software

enjoy

Sergio

Thank you xSergio74,

I did not know I could rename the files as you say, so that is quite helpful.

Other good news is that by then opening the model into Leocad, it lets me export to 3D studio max, (Which I am used to, and makes it easier for me to light & render my models.)

Your SR 3D Builder has put the fun back in virtual Lego for me. It did take a day to get it all figured out, but now I am having an enjoyable time.

All the Best, :-)

Hi,

if I want to visit the site, my anti-virus program tells me the following:

virus_warning.jpg

What is it?

Is there a malware?

Edited by laserman

Hi,

if I want to visit the site, my anti-virus program tells me the following:

virus_warning.jpg

What is it?

Is there a malware?

HI,

it is a false positive, probably because I open an hidden frame to remote execute a script that counts the visits on the site since the official web server cannot support scripts.

My site and my software is 100% virus free as certified by softpedia

http://www.softpedia.com/progClean/SR-3D-Builder-Clean-152209.html

Hi everybody,

It's publish time again!

The new release has just been published on my official website

The most important news are

- Inclusion of the last official lDraw part update

- Single click to add a part from toolbox to model

- Animated flexible parts. Here is a link to a video that explains what I mean:

I also recommend you to look at history tab for a brief of what changed

The application is available for free as always

Enjoy building!!!

Sergio

Hi,

for the ones interested in, a French translation of the manual is now available.

Special thanks to J.C. Tchang for his work

Sergio

Hi again,

this video anticipates what you can expect from my application

(new version still not released)

Comments are welkome

Sergio

Edited by xSergio74

One question. Do springs, LA's and pneeumatics work (slide in and out)?

Still not...

They will in a next release.

The application is still in developing and new functionality are added at any new versions

Sergio

SR 3D Builder made PORTABLE

Hi

here are the instructions for how to create a portable version of my application:

Things should be by far much more easy than you expect if PC you would like to run my application on already meets the requirements (MS framework 2.0 and correct DirectX version).

Following these steps should work, assuming you have a USB memory with 128MB or more free space as U: driver and you have performed a standard application installation of my application:

1- Copy the contents of the c:\lDraw folder and subfolders into U:\

2- Create a folder on U to store my application system files (i.e. U:\SR3DB)

3- Copy the contents of my application installation folder (usually c:\Program Files\SR3DBuilder) in U:\SR3DB (you can avoid copying the unins*.* and fulldownload.exe files )

4- Start SR3DBuilder.exe from U:\SR3DB

5a- If prompted for choosing the part library folder, choose U:\lDraw

5b- If NOT prompted for choosing the part library folder, choose File-->Setup Directory from SR3DB menu and select U:\lDraw folder

you should be able to run the application from the USB stick now. It works at first try for me!!

Please also notice the following:

- on any computer you run SR3DB the first time or anytime your USB stick change its associated drive letter you have to repeat step 5a

- parts image loading will be tedious the first time are displayed (then will be cached)

- the extension .l3b is not associated with the application

- some registry entries are written while using the application

- maybe some other issues

Thanks to Calabar for asking me to do it

Sergio

Edited by xSergio74

Very good!

I hope you'll provide a "ready" portable version for the next release where:

- All stays inside the "SR3D" folder, including the lDraw folder, so that there is no need to re-associate it every time the drive changes.

- All registry entries are written in a configuration file, the software should not leave residues on the system.

- The software is ready to use, no need to have an installed version to create it.

- check all system requirements (net framework and directx) before starting.

About net framework, unfortunately I don't have it on my main machine, so that I can't use SR3D there.

But, obviously, I don't ask you to remove net framework! :grin:

Perhaps the programming tool (visual studio?) allow you to compile without net framework for a wide compatibility? (so you could provide an alternative version for those who has problems with it).

Perhaps you could create a portable version with extended bricks database, obviously ready to use! :classic:

EDIT: here in wikipedia I found a well made explanation about portable apps.

Hi again,

after a bit long wait time, here is my application new release.

Nothing really exciting, just some fixes and some improvements especially in the user interface, so no videos this time.

It is highly recommended that you preserve a copy of your existing executable since many deep changes have been done and some new unexpected error may occur.

I really need feedback about new bugs or malfunctioning and also if everything works fine

Download as always from http://staff.polito.it/sergio.reano/

Following a list of the many changes.

Enjoy

Sergio

Version 0.5.6.8 - Changes to previous version

Added

- Extended support for assemblies: selecting a part, the whole assembly will be selected. To select a single

part, hold down SHIFT while selecting

- Seams among bricks to enhance model quality. Use the preferences dialog box to change seams size

- A little support for model authoring under Edit menu item

Fixed

- Some issues in groups (root group selection was causing some kind of malfunctioning)

- Undo/redo long time operations now correctly use progress bar indicator (low left corner)

- Hinge solver with universal joint connection now works: even if you may have to manually adjust joint

center rotation, animation and connection are anyway granted

- Baseplate connections are now better identified

- Animating a model that involves belt translation or rotation causes belt definition being wasted after saving

model position

- Creating a belt between pins causes belt not being correctly saved

- Better support for different font size in toolbox

Changed

- The toolbox now is resizeable and hideable (enlarge the toolbox to display additional options)

- Toolbox images now load in background: no longer time waste

- A bit startup and model loading speedup

Edited by xSergio74