Sign in to follow this  
Paradosis

The Golden Medallion

I recently read the 1989 Pirate comic book The Golden Medallion for the first time, and I was suprised to find certain things in there. Some of the more interesting parts:

- The Imperial Soldiers seem rather incompetent (pp. 6, 25)

- Lieutenant de Martinet will exaggerate things, to the point of lying (p. 18)

- Governor Broadside seems more concerned with his crystal than with the safety of his niece (p. 25)

As a fan of the Imperial Soldiers (my favorite Pirates faction), I hardly enjoyed this portrayal of them. Which got me to thinking, supposing you've read it, how much stock do you all put in this comic book? Do you consider the information found in the comic to be set in stone, as it were? Or do you pick and choose what to use and what to discard?

I've never read the comic and could care less what it says. Why should the comic set anything in stone. If something was going to be set in stone I would say the history books would be it. I think every story that a fan of Lego creates is just as valid as any other story including one produced by Lego.

Why should the comic set anything in stone.

Well, as far as I understand it, the purpose of the comic book was to give some back story for the characters in the early sets. I think 99% of Pirate fans take at least some of the info that Lego provided and use it. We use certain names of characters and sets* that Lego gave us, for instance. I am not someone who would go so far as to say that this info is set in stone, but on the other hand I'd have a hard time just giving Gov. Broadside a new name, or calling the Black Seas Barracuda something different. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle: I find the info that Lego gave us (e.g. in this comic) to be interesting, though I don't view it as something that requires that we view things a certain way.

*Though the names can change from region to region.

Edited by Paradosis

Well, as far as I understand it, the purpose of the comic book was to give some back story for the characters in the early sets. I think 99% of Pirate fans take at least some of the info that Lego provided and use it. We use certain names of characters and sets* that Lego gave us, for instance. I am not someone who would go so far as to say that this info is set in stone, but on the other hand I'd have a hard time just giving Gov. Broadside a new name, or calling the Black Seas Barracuda something different. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle: I find the info that Lego gave us (e.g. in this comic) to be interesting, though I don't view it as something that requires that we view things a certain way.

*Though the names can change from region to region.

With the set names I call them by that when I build them as sets or refer to them as sets so others know what I am talking about but as soon as I change anything I give it a new name. Also I don't use the character names for any purpose other than for reference. I guess I just don't like the idea of Lego back story...feels to me like marketing nonesense. But to each their own when it comes to these questions.

Personally I love the story that goes along with the Pirate theme :pir-wub: It makes it a whole lot more interesting, and I also find that it gives it a since of order. Concerning children, I now for a fact that they don't give a care about the story, but most adults do.

I think only a few of my ships are still in ther service they were meant to be in. Most of my pirate ships I have converted either to red or blue, and I even like using the new captain torso for my soldiers... so what does it matter?

I'll just pout stock into what I wont and disckared what I dont need. Besides The comiks are more like gidelines (very lose gidelines) then actchawell rouls. But as said erlyer to each ther own. :jollyroger:

Besides The comics are more like guidelines (very lose guidelines) then actual roles.

That hits the nail rate on, eh.

Edited by Broadside

I've never read the comic and could care less what it says. Why should the comic set anything in stone. If something was going to be set in stone I would say the history books would be it. I think every story that a fan of Lego creates is just as valid as any other story including one produced by Lego.

yes totally...i think it's got no stock in what they are.

I loved the Pirate stories and characters as a kid--to me it was the height of storytelling magic. ;) I know better now, of course, but I still love the Pirate stories almost as much as the sets themselves. The original 1989 storyline was particularly well thought out, if not entirely favorable to the soldiers. ;) It was used more or less consistently on the set boxes, the story books, the comics, and even the theme park attractions.

TC

I consider all of the backstories, comics, etc. as separate from the set. I don't believe in such a thing as "canon" when it comes to Lego, much less accept any supplemental material as such. This applies even to minifigures names', though I may use them out of necessity, i.e. when referring to a specific minifigure. The comics will occasionally offer me amusement, but I rarely find that they're interesting. Though, I must admit I found your description of the comic in question more amusing than disconcerting. To be precise, the story itself seems more than a bit silly, but the way you pointed out the silly parts did make me chuckle.

The comics will occasionally offer me amusement, but I rarely find that they're interesting.

I notice you write comics but I'm only aware of The Golden Medallion - are there other Pirate LEGO Comics in different languages?

(The Ladybird Book Series are not counted as comics because like their title suggests, they're books)

Towards the back of the instruction manual of most sets, there's often a short comic. Also, there are comics in the club magazine (or was it the brickmaster magazine?). They're by no means an entire book, but they're quick reads that occasionally offer brief amusement. There have been actual books for Bionicle and Knights Kingdom 2 that I think came either in a set or a brickmaster issue. I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's a comic for Lego Batman and KK1 as well.

edit: Sorry, I misread. You were referring to comics about the pirates line in particular, while I'm talking about Lego comics in general.

Edited by Lord Admiral

Alrighty, I see what you mean.

Yes, you're right, Brickmaster magazine did have Pirate LEGO Comics although I haven't personally seen them. One day we might be lucky enough to get our hands upon some scans!