MrTools

Getting started in LEGO Trains - What to buy?

I'm super excited, no doubt! Those crossovers are a bit pricey, wow! I'll grab one of those, a box of straight and curved, and a box of points. That should give me more than enough to start with and give me a good idea as to what I need to expand with. :)

E: Is it common for model train stores to carry various Lego train stuff, or is Lego train stuff not considered a branch of that hobby?

Edited by nicoga3000

Wow, I just checked the price guide. *eek*

You hardly ever see track in the shops in Australia but online is a better better bet price-wise for us anyway.

Hopefully the situation is better in the USA.

You'll get an idea what you want as you start building layouts. Flexi-track is invaluable for making more complex track patterns fit together and for doing wide radius curves with straight rails, I prefer curve rails when doing tight curves.

Must stop being distracted from the SuperBowl. *doh* Took the day off to watch it (Monday morning here)

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

I'm also looking to get into Train but I have catalogs detailing all the trains I missed out over the years. D:

I'm really sunk into star wars right now, and only have about $100 in buying power right now. The emerald night looks like a fantastic set but I also want a track and a motorized version as well? Can they built into the train?

yes the emerald night can be motorized.

Hello everyone,

I just started to get into lego trains and I just purchased my first train. The #7939 Cargo Train when toyrus.com had a sale with the cargo train being limited in stock on Feb 4, 2011 for $143.99 with free shipping. I like to expand on the track layout with more track and I plan to purchase the #7938 passenger train, #10194 Emerald Night and the #10219 Maersk Container Train later on, but I was wondering are some of the older trains, such as Santa Fe, BNSF, TTX Intermodel Double Stack Cars or My Own Train cars, such as Caboose, Open Freight Wagon, Hopper Wagon, Octan Tanker, or Passenger Wagon worth to get now, as I have seen that they go for alot of money online???

I also just created my first custom train in LDD. I am not sure where to show people so I have just attached the ZIP file. Please have a look. If no one can see it please let me know.

Thanks for the help,

Track can be bought at lego.com (they have a box with 8 straight pieces and 16 flex track, those 16 flex are the equivalent of 4 straights, so one box can count as 12 straight pieces). At the moment, they don't sell curved track, but when you buy 7938 then you'll have enough curved pieces anyway.

The BNSF and TTX Intermodal's have become quite expensive, so financially, the new train 10219 will be more attractive (and besides, 10219 looks spectacular!). I've bought most 9V trains used, but prices of the 9V trains have gone up since then, and, lego keeps coming out with great products like the Emerald Night and the 10219, so if I were building a collection now, I'd probably focus on new trains.

With the My Own Train cars, when you see them on eBay, just bid what they're worth to you, not what they're worth to someone else.

I have to agree with hoeij. The 9Vs are very expensive and are steadily climbing. I doubt you can pick up 10133 BNSF for under $150 and average for 8 straight tracks are always $35 and up. I shelled out $345 for 60 and that was still top dollar :sceptic: But if you watch it enough you may find a couple MyOwnTrain cars close to retail. There is also a steady supply of individual cars sold from members parting out 7939 Cargo Train. Those are your best (cheapest) way of adding more cars or track. Its all what you're willing to spend. :grin:

As for the plastic track... I don't buy, only 9v, but its a pity that now they offer the straight paired with those noisy flex tracks. I recommend reselling the flex, if you buy these, and put that toward more straight. If you have an eBay or equivalent membership. Good luck with what you go with :classic:

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

Welcome to EB and the Train forums.

I generally agree with what was already said; having a large collection of older trains it's a process to think about switching to the newer systems, but if I were starting out today I'd forget about the older stuff and just concentrate on the new.

However, if you really want one of those really expensive older sets, you should try to build it yourself with bricklink. It will probably be just as expensive (or more) for the first train (mostly because you'll have to order from many different stores and pay each one shipping and handling), but if you order extras of the useful pieces, when possible, it can cut down on the cost significantly to make a second or third older train.

I got a Sante Fe Super Chief at auction (when bricklink still had auctions), but had no cars and refused to pay the premium people were asking. If I were to build one, it would not have been worth it, but I got enough pieces to build 4 and then some. Over time on my other orders for other things, I've added a few train bits and pieces.

The only differences are that I use the newer couplers; for the roofs of the cars I chose the black curved piece because they are abundantly available at LEGO S@H PAB. What people are asking for the gray ones on bricklink is highway robbery. I had an alternative in gray that didn't cost any more than the black, and it was OK, but it was one plate higher and I chose to use the black.

In other words, if you can accept minor variations, it's definitely possible to build the trains for what is ultimately a lot more reasonable prices.

Yes, it took a lot of time and patience (padding orders with extra pieces so that, over time, I had the pieces I needed), but I've ended up with three Santa Fe cars so far (and, like I said, enough pieces to build a fourth and probably fifth), a few of mine own cargo cars, and I did the Holiday Train before Christmas and only had to order a minimum of parts to add to what I had already collected over the years.

Still... if I were starting right now, knowing what I know, I would consider it pretty much masochistic to do all that starting now. You have to remember I started out with a handful (too small) of 9V engines and track and years of collecting pieces - wheels here, buffers and couplers there...

I just don't know if it'd be worth it now.

I have another question that I wasn't able to find an answer for. And maybe it's a completely ridiculous question, but I figured I'd ask! Is it possible to do (or has anyone found the need to do) inclines?

Yes, of course inclines are possible. You can go up by 2 plates per section of track.

Inclines can be used for bridges or simply to make your landscape more interesting.

Have a look here for more details.

Thank you to everyone for all the advice as I will just look ahead and hope for the best from the lego company.

It just seems like that there aren't very many new lego trains coming out like previous years that makes me tempted to purchase a few of the older train sets or cars, but I will definitely look out for any lego train sales online and try to pick up one or two.

I figured that purchasing the passenger train later on would provide me enough curve train tracks to make a layout. Now seeing that lego has provided the new Straight and flex pack this year, I just may get a few of these to make a larger layout as I can see using a small flex track section to create larger or smaller curves.

Speaking of flex tracks are they really not that good as many people say they are or are they just a hype??? I have read various reviews about the trains getting stuck between the cracks, trains derailing, the loose hinges and the looks of the tracks.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Excellent comments above, and I fully agree.

Some of the older trains are wonderful (e.g. Super Chief & its coaches, BNSF etc.) but the prices being asked for these are breathtaking, even used on eBay. Admittedly some of us AFOLs have the money to slowly accumulate sets like that, but if you're starting out there are more than enough excellent current sets at more reasonable prices to get you going, and with the Maersk train to look forward to as well there's more than enough great new train stuff to spend your money on !

Incidentally, despite picking up older trains where I can, I'm sticking with the new plastic track and Power Functions motors etc. - the track, motors etc. are more abundant and cheaper than the 9V stuff for obvious reasons and the old trains can in general readily be converted to use PF.

Dr. D.

Edited by drdavewatford

It just seems like that there aren't very many new lego trains coming out like previous years that makes me tempted to purchase a few of the older train sets or cars, but I will definitely look out for any lego train sales online and try to pick up one or two.

I think the current train offering is quite good. If you wanted to buy a train from lego in the past, you typically would have had two choices (a cargo and a passenger train). Sometimes there were more than two choices (e.g. My Own Train gave a lot of flexibility because the train cars were sold separately) but that didn't happen very often.

In contrast, lego has currently 3 train sets for sale, cargo, passenger, and steam train, and soon to be 4 when Maerks comes out. So compared with the past, lego is still coming out frequently with trains, including a number of very interesting ones. If they keep this up, then it won't take long to build up a very nice collection.

That's why I recommend, on eBay, to bid only what it's worth to you, and not more, because it's just a matter of time before interesting things will become available directly from lego.com

PS. I have a BNSF and most of the other 9V train sets too. But if you had to buy them now, well, there's a BNSF listed on eBay, and the bid is already $160 and that's just for the locomotive. Then you still need to add container cars (the TTX double stack are expensive too) and then you still have to motorize it. The new Maersk train (my guess: $120) is very nice, and already comes with container cars. I love my BNSF + TTX so I'm not going to sell it (even though it'd give me a big profit because I bought mine used at a good price) but at the same time, I don't think I would pay $160 for just the locomotive, when a very nice 10219 is just around the corner.

Edited by hoeij

Welcome to Train Tech Physalis.

I find these types of topics always interesting because so many have had similar experiences after puchaing their first train set. Mine happened to be the My Own Train (MOT) collection, and at that time, LEGO Train availability was pretty limited (aside from the MOT sets).

Personally, I always thought the MOT locomotive was nice, but probably far from one of LEGO's top rated train engines. The added color packages offered some customization though. At the same time, the green passenger wagon, log car, and caboose are still among my favorites for their colors, parts, and Western look. The passenger wagon and caboose didn't have removable roofs, but they were nice looking sets. You can see image reviews of all of these sets right here in Train Tech - check the Index.

I would also suggest you read an article called "What to Do After That Starter Set" - in RailBricks 7. It might provide you with some additional ideas.

Right now is a great time for LEGO Train fans with the "Fantastic Four" - Cargo Train that you have, the Passenger Train, Toy Story, and Harry Potter. Plus Maersk is just around the corner and will be the best. Even though, I'm still a huge fan of 9V - esp. the BNSF and SFSC. These I would recommend for any train fan, but you will need that 9V layout unless you plan to modify for Power Functions.

Good luck with your train purchasing. :thumbup:

Welcome to Train... ;)

I just wanted to post that it all depends on what you are doing with the particular model... if you plan on running the model on a layout... buying the

items used would seem like a better prospect.. if you plan on just putting the model on some shelf (in or out of the box) just for display, buying it

in mint condition would be better. JUST WATCH OUT that if you do buy it used/open that the pieces arent faded or they smell like cigarrettes (or some the elements have bite marks in them).

If you want to "get into" 9V trains as cheaply as possible, you can buy some 4561 lego expresses for very reasonable prices and use the elements in them,

like the motor, speed regulator, and track for your other train purposes.

Just adding my 2cents worth into the mix.

Ben

Hi guys, sorry if I hijack the threads. I just found this forum and I'm interested with lego train. Well, it's more like my 5 yo son drag me to get lego. The last 3 months has done quite a damage to my wallet :p. So far, for the train set, I've got 7936, 7937, 7939. I also bought 7898 and 7997 on ebay. Love the lego, but not the price I paid for :p.

I'm planning to get

7938 (Passenger train)

10194 (Emerald night)

4841 (Hogwart express)

7597 (Toy story train)

and the new maersk train.

I tried to get some breathing room here. In your experience which set will be discontinued soon. In what order should I buy them? I hope to buy them within the next 2 years.

Edited by 9Benua

I'm planning to get

7938 (Passenger train)

10194 (Emerald night)

4841 (Hogwart express)

7597 (Toy story train)

and the new maersk train.

I tried to get some breathing room here. In your experience which set will be discontinued soon. In what order should I buy them? I hope to buy them within the next 2 years.

I don't know which one will be discontinued first, but I do know which one has been available the longest, and that's the 10194 Emerald Night. My guess for the first ones to sell out are 10194 (because it's been available the longest) and 7597 (because it's tied to an event, namely the movie).

When 7597 runs out, my guess is that the prices on eBay will not go up quickly, and that one will still be able to find one used for less than what it costed new.

However, when 10194 runs out, there is the potential of a significant price increase; we are after all talking about one of the most spectacular train sets ever sold by lego. It is not certain that prices will go up a lot, that of course depends on how many of these sets are out there, but the possibility of a large price increase is certainly there.

I don't know which one will be discontinued first, but I do know which one has been available the longest, and that's the 10194 Emerald Night.

Agreed... and two years is a good run for any LEGO set; with the Maersk train coming out, I'm sure EN is on it's way out.

Agreed... and two years is a good run for any LEGO set; with the Maersk train coming out, I'm sure EN is on it's way out.

Seconded - out of all the current sets the Emerald Night is for me the highlight and a cast-iron "future classic". If you're a train fan I'd urge you to pick one up before they're discontinued as prices will soar then - just look at the Super Chief and BNSF for evidence of that, while past passenger and cargo trains can generally be picked up for much more reasonable prices.

Edited by drdavewatford

Reading this reminds me that, despite my urges, I'll need to be picking up Emerald Night before Maersk. If I don't get an EN before they are gone, I'll be 100% super sad. I'll be visiting my fiance in Chicago this weekend, so maybe I'll try and make a pit stop. :laugh:

I agree that EN will most likely be on it's way out especially when Maersk comes out.

I hoping to time my purchase right and get it half off like a few other set I've gotten from shop@home when they get cleared out.

I've gotten 7747 and 7746 at 50% off so far. :sweet:

I agree that EN will most likely be on it's way out especially when Maersk comes out.

I hoping to time my purchase right and get it half off like a few other set I've gotten from shop@home when they get cleared out.

I've gotten 7747 and 7746 at 50% off so far. :sweet:

I got the Hobby train and the Holiday train at 50% off, but that was the last time I managed to get really nice sets at 50% off. Since then, for most sets (especially the more expensive ones) it seems that the moment you see "50% off" is the moment that it says "sold out".

Anyone know what to type in to find the EN parted out on Bricklink? I'd like to see the prices on the coach car alone.

No, but if you ask in the forums someone there might be able to suggest something.

As a suggestion to the above: the TTX intermodal is very good value for buying in pieces on bricklink compared to the ebays of this world. There aren't really special pieces in there, the (relatively) most expensive seem to be the yellow side panels. You just have to go without the stickers, or print your own.

Hi there!

So I've been reading reviews of the many Lego trains for a time now. And I'm thinking about buying my first train set.

I came out of my Dark Ages last year. I'm into Kingdoms, City and the modular buildings - I'm not in my "top building condition," but I guess I'm in shape for the challenge. :classic:

So where should I start? Which train set should I buy first? What is the best train for a complete "newbie," and which one is both a good start AND a good addition to any city? I know there's the 7939 Cargo Train and the 7938 Passenger train, and they both look great. I recently got the 8404 Public Transport, and the Tram is just great! Where whould I go from there?

Each and every piece of advice, comments and suggestions are welcome! :thumbup: