MrTools

Getting started in LEGO Trains - What to buy?

The truth is that all 3 of the current complete PF Trains (7938, 7939 & 3677) are good starter trains and each has their pros & cons.

7938 - Passenger Train:

Pros: Slick modern looking train, comes with 2 engines, includes a platform

Cons: Only 1 passenger coach/car, no switches or straight track only curves & flex

7939 - Cargo Train:

Pros: Lots of track (8 Straight, 1 each Switch, 16 Flex & 16 Curve), Cargo Crane, More Rolling Stock a Truck & Containers means more play

Cons: The rolling stock is weak (i.e. container size matches nothing)

3677 - Cargo Train (really Maintenance of Way):

Pros: Decent amount of track (8 Straight, 16 Curve & 16 Flex), Hopper Loader & Dump Area, Rolling Stock, Unimog style truck has play potential.

Cons: No switches

Personally I'd go for the 3677 and buy a pack of switches (though S@H is currently out of stock) first if I wanted an out of the box play with it train.

If I had to choose between 7938 & 7939 I'd go for 7939 mainly because of the track. I mean rolling stock can be MOCed/MODed right?

If I was interested in the Emerald Night or Maersk then I'd get those first given the fact the their days are numbered.

I care if its ugly....im not going to drop almost $200 on something that I think is ugly not to mention the cars are lame ID rather buy the track and crane seperate.....ive never seen a maersk pull passenger cars

I think you got my comment about cargo trains being pulled by the same engines as passenger trains the wrong way around, oddly enough, considering what it was a reply to. The Dutch railways had a range of electric engines built for pulling passenger trains, but they are increasingly used to pull cargo trains. I'm pretty sure I've seen German cargo trains being pulled by engines they also use for their passenger trains.

The reason why I don't care about whether it's ugly or not -I don't think it is by the way- is that I rarely build stuff from instructions anyway. My return to building trains started with building MOCs. I bought my cargo train to get the parts I need to make my MOCs run on some actual track -not to run it as is. I kind of assumed that that the original poster was looking at building MOCs too.

That's also why I don't really see it as a problem if I were to think that the engine doesn't look right for the train. It's LEGO. If you don't like it, turn it into something else!

If I had to choose between 7938 & 7939 I'd go for 7939 mainly because of the track. I mean rolling stock can be MOCed/MODed right?

hear, hear.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

We are going to have to agree to disagree.....i think the red cargo train looks a lot better and is almost as good of a deal especially with tru's price of $119 with 10% back.....it looks good and I like the cars a lot better. If you need more pf track its cheap on ebay. With that said I'm going to ask for the imperial flagship for christmas but I'm sure my wife will get me the yellow cargo train also.....is be fine with that especially that I have other trains....I'll probably take apart the yellow engine and make something else out of it

First, let me thank everyone for their warm replies. What a great forum.

#1 I took the plunge and obtained an Emerald Night from the Lego Store. It is a lovely model and I am very happy with it.

After consideration, I will get another model this week with some track and IR gear too - #2 probably the yellow cargo train.

#3 will be the Maersk train in the new year.

As the Emerald Night is now sold out, i feel very lucky to have one sitting on my desk. Now all i need worry about is what sort of track design to go for :)

I have come to understand everyones frustrations with not being able to obtain straight or curved track without the flex track! Please Lego, get it sorted. (and an extra carriage for the EN)

I set up my trains over the xmas vaccation - Yellow cargo, EN and a new passenger train (plus a box of extra track).

Quite simply i dont think ive had so much fun with lego since i was a child. If you have not yet considered a train then I can wholeheartedly recommend them. Even my other half was caught playing with them after I came home early!

If now i had to answer my own question, i would recommend the red passenger train first. You get some track and all the power functions you need. And the train looks and plays great.

Next on my list would be the yellow cargo train. The engine is very nice but the rolling stock is not as good as the other sets. It comes with power and a great set of track including two valuable switch points.

When you combine these two tracks together you can make two decent oval shapes and switch trains between them with the points(the extra box makes a big difference too).

With the EN you need to buy some quite expensive power functions on top of the cost price so unless you really like steam trains then leave this till later.

Nice thread, I am in a similar situation, have a few modular buildings and want to have a rail system running through because my boy loves trains, after reading this and other review threads plan to go 7939 Cargo Train and then something more sexier either 10194 EN or 10219 Maersk Train, depending which one is available and price

Excellent topic actually and has been really useful to read everyones advice. I'm going with the Yellow Cargo starter set and before it goes the Maersk train. I hope to still find an Emerald Night. One question I had was on the train kits available on the Lego Shop website, I see that the level crossing is no longer shown so I assume that this item is being discontinued. Would I be right in saying that an item like this comes back in a new form? I see the level crossing kit is still available at a toy shop nearby so not panicing just yet. I suppose like other chaps have suggested when train related kits come out...grab them while you can! Appreciate any comments on this especially some insight as to how Lego operates on these themes.

The Emerald Night is a great train and I'm happy to own it. But in my opinion it's not at all a good idea for a starter train, simply because there are no PF parts in the set and no track at all either.

The first LEGO train you buy should be ready to be motorized and used on the track right from the box, that's what I think.

But as people here say that Emerald Night has now been discontinued, if you manage to find one - buy it on the spot!

Edited by Nikola Bathory

Excellent topic actually and has been really useful to read everyones advice. I'm going with the Yellow Cargo starter set and before it goes the Maersk train. I hope to still find an Emerald Night. One question I had was on the train kits available on the Lego Shop website, I see that the level crossing is no longer shown so I assume that this item is being discontinued. Would I be right in saying that an item like this comes back in a new form? I see the level crossing kit is still available at a toy shop nearby so not panicing just yet. I suppose like other chaps have suggested when train related kits come out...grab them while you can! Appreciate any comments on this especially some insight as to how Lego operates on these themes.

Lego sets are usually around for approx 2 years. Lego have offered many different train stations over the years so when the current one is discontinued there is a fair chance that within a reasonable time a replacement will be offered. Although they have sold level crossing sets before, not as many so it might be a while before another is offered. My advise with the crossing would be to get one asap

I just ordered my first Lego train last night. I read some threads, talked to some people, created a cost-analysis spreadsheet, and decided on the Maersk, the PF components, and some track.

I just didn't really like the looks of the other trains to buy instead of the Maersk. I tried seeing what it would cost (my spreadsheet) to buy the yellow or red cargo trains or the passenger train to get the track & PF components, and then buying the Maersk engine seperatly, but couldn't make it work either.

What got me hooked was seeing the LEGO Maersk in person setup at a flea market last weekend in Cincinnati. It was beautiful! Plus the engine looks very similar to one I see almost every day on my way home from work. Here's the real local train:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=200853&nseq=5

Forgive me if this topic has been talked to death... but I recently pulled out my old 9V train and ran it around the tracks for my little girl (3 years old). She is super into trains and loved it. So I'm thinking about picking up one of the new IR trains for her (and I) to play with. That way, I don't have to worry about her wearing out or breaking my old one.

So, I need some advice on which set to pick up. Currently, there seems to be three available.

The Horizon Express (which was my initial thought), the Passenger Train (which looks pretty cool) and the Freight Train (which also looks quite cool). Which would you all recommend for an old time Lego fan, but a fairly new train head? I would probably purchase new track to go with it too.

Steve

I'm kinda new to Lego trains myself but I've got a three year old, maybe my advice could be useful.

Apparently children prefer to push trains around rather than run them with motors so you might consider that new Lone Ranger train that's coming out soon.

The yellow Freight Train would probably be the best of the three you mentioned as it has some play features. The passenger trains just whiz around.

Both sets I mentioned have loops of track included in them, get one for you and one for your girl!

Have fun! Joe

I liked the yellow freight train a lot more than the passenger train, it has more track and a crane to play with. The red freight train is also good, but I like the wagons on the yellow one better.

The horizon express doesn't come motorised but is a very nice build, it would be my choice if I had to choose only one. For a child though I'd guess the yellow cargo still has more to play with. On the other hand you could always ask your daughter which she likes.

Apparently children prefer to push trains around rather than run them with motors so you might consider that new Lone Ranger train that's coming out soon.

She has a push train which she liked. But then we took her to a model train show and they had a electric train she could drive and there has been no looking back. She was a little skittish of the 9V train turn controller. So I think she'll like the IR controller better.

I forgot about the Lone Ranger train. We have an old steam train that runs through town here, so I think the Lone Ranger steam train might be perfect.

The horizon express doesn't come motorised but is a very nice build, it would be my choice if I had to choose only one. For a child though I'd guess the yellow cargo still has more to play with. On the other hand you could always ask your daughter which she likes.

The motor was one of my questions about the Horizon Express. I asked her which one she liked best. She asked if they were steam, diesel or electric. And said "oooooh, I like that one" to each of them. :laugh:

Thanks for the help! Another question, though: AAA batteries or rechargable?

Steve

From someone who just got into L scale, I can't recommend more the yellow freight train (the red freight train comes in a close second). I particularly like more the red train, but the yellow one has more track and the crane - I really like cranes :grin:. Both come ready to run, you don't have to buy anything else, and are a GREAT build, so for a first set I think they're both awesome. The HE, like the EN, I would say would be a great "second set", because they're harder to build and you will need extra parts (PF).

The motor was one of my questions about the Horizon Express. I asked her which one she liked best. She asked if they were steam, diesel or electric. And said "oooooh, I like that one" to each of them. :laugh:

So, I guess that's sorted out :)

Im my opinion, the yellow cargo train has the most play value. Both the crane and truck make great additions, and the small cars are nice too.

The Horizon Express is a great set, but you need two to make a complete set, and you have to buy all the PF stuff as well.

Have fun choosing and building!

Please remember that no ones had a chance to tinker around with the Lone Ranger train yet. I guess it won't be a big problem to put PF in it but who knows?

Joe

Please remember that no ones had a chance to tinker around with the Lone Ranger train yet. I guess it won't be a big problem to put PF in it but who knows?

Speaking of that. Has anyone messed around with the Ghost Train to motorize it? Got some instructions. I tried tonight, but I'm not familiar enough with train building to figure it out.

Steve

Speaking of that. Has anyone messed around with the Ghost Train to motorize it? Got some instructions. I tried tonight, but I'm not familiar enough with train building to figure it out.

Steve

I think there was a thread with some blurry photos a few months back. Use Google to search for it, it seems to work better than the site's search function. Maybe I'm telling you something you already know but you can include the word 'eurobricks' in your query.

Joe