MrTools

Getting started in LEGO Trains - What to buy?

Congrats. Much like yourself I always loved Lego trains but never had any.

I picked up my first train a couple years ago with the Emerald Night, and bought my first train set a year ago with the 7939 cargo train.

since then I have bought the Maersk train, Toys Story Western Train, and another Emerald Night. I am looking to pick up the Passenger train and Red Cargo train in the near future, possibly the Hogwarts express too.

Congrats. Much like yourself I always loved Lego trains but never had any.

I picked up my first train a couple years ago with the Emerald Night, and bought my first train set a year ago with the 7939 cargo train.

since then I have bought the Maersk train, Toys Story Western Train, and another Emerald Night. I am looking to pick up the Passenger train and Red Cargo train in the near future, possibly the Hogwarts express too.

after buying this first train I almost want to go crazy on the train sets. Emerald Night and the Maersk trains are on my want list for sure, but I'm going to focus on getting some town buildings, more track, and baseplates for now.

Given your comment about getting LEGO trains from the 90s, I would suggest you get the Emerald Night next. It's not in the same style as the passenger train set, but it's a classic!

I agree, and I'd better get it soon; it's been out since 2009, could be discontinued soon...

I agree, and I'd better get it soon; it's been out since 2009, could be discontinued soon...

Yea, Emerald Night is on my list for Santa. I just ordered 7641 City Corner and 8403 City House. I hope Lego continues the new line of these thin half buildings so I can build my city. Fire Dep and Police Dep are next, but I might go vintage for those...

I love the new giant modular buildings, but $199CDN plus tax brings them to $230 each. Not to mention they take up alot of space.

Edited by eliminator

If you get the emerald night, you better save some money in your budget for PF parts for it, or else it will just be

a "push" train.

The recommendation is a XL motor for it to run it, a PF battery, and a receiver.

If you get the emerald night, you better save some money in your budget for PF parts for it, or else it will just be

a "push" train.

The recommendation is a XL motor for it to run it, a PF battery, and a receiver.

While you are at it, don't forget the lights

Congrats eliminator!! :)

I too had HO trains and always wanted a LEGO train. At that time was the monorail. I now have all of them since Emerald Night and enjoy them almost every night. For me one of the best is the Maersk train, so put it also on your list.

As you're in shopping spree keep in mind LEGO is giving double VIP points on purchases this month and that translates to a 10% discount.

I agree about the power functions and lights for Emerald Night. Makes the model that much more fun.

I too had HO trains and always wanted a LEGO train. At that time was the monorail. I now have all of them since Emerald Night and enjoy them almost every night. For me one of the best is the Maersk train, so put it also on your list.

Sorry for being a bit off topic. How does the build process for the Maersk compare with Emerald Night? I get the impression that the Maersk is less complex ad less detailed.

I have yet to build the Maersk Train, but looking at the models, I'd say Emerald Night is more complex; it took me 3-4 hours to build the engine alone. If you want a more precise answer, I'd go to Brickset and look at the building instructions for each model.

I have yet to build the Maersk Train, but looking at the models, I'd say Emerald Night is more complex; it took me 3-4 hours to build the engine alone. If you want a more precise answer, I'd go to Brickset and look at the building instructions for each model.

Thanks!

a "push" train.

I'm aiming to get it this holiday season just incase they discontinue it. I don't want to have to go on ebay/bricklink and pay double. So, it might sitting static on my layout for a while since I'm focused on building a city at the moment. My great-grandfather conducted a train very similar to the Emerald Night back in the day, so it is certainly a must buy.

Hi,

I'm an AFOL but have not yet dipped my toe in the waters of lego Trains - but i feel now is the time.

[i have no track, no motor, no IR]

What would make a good starter model [preferably with track etc] and then a natural order of purchase?

Many thanks for any replies.

If you can get it - Emerald Night. It will soon be discontinued (or already is). Then worry about how to motorise it afterwards; all the info is on this forum!

Personally, I'd recommend the current Yellow Cargo Train 7939. Why?

-loco can serve as passanger or cargo train

-track (straight, curved, and flex)

-two track switches

-power functions to run the train

-semi-realistic rolling stock cars

-cargo crane and transport truck

-Currently BYGO 50% off at TRU

I think it's a better starter set than the Passenger Train or the Red Cargo Train. In addition to the cargo train, I also recommend 7936 Level Crossing to get some more straight track and good train set add ons. I'm new to trains myself, a month ago I didn't have any!!!!

7939-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

If you can get it - Emerald Night. It will soon be discontinued (or already is). Then worry about how to motorise it afterwards; all the info is on this forum!

Yea, it probably would be a good idea to grab an Emerald Night before they're gone, but as a second train after a starter set.

Edited by eliminator

I agree with eliminator.

I'm not exactly new to trains (I had a 4.5 V one as a child) and I've actually bought several train sets in recent years for the parts (Western Train, Hobby Train, Emerald Knight, Maersk Train). They are nice sets, but don't get you anywhere. They've got the parts to build trains -not to run them. Until recently I didn't have any of the new tracks, because I had no interest in running trains. I only had the old ones from when I was a kid.

Two weeks ago I came across the yellow cargo train in a local toy store, as part of larger pack with extra rails, two more switches and the current station. The whole thing was discounted to 150 Euros and that week they had an addition 10% discount. I couldn't resist and bought it. By itself the cargo train already has pretty much everything you need: the motor, a battery box, a remote, a decent collection of tracks and two switches and plenty of parts to build yourself a nice train. It's the set I would recommend too.

Cheers,

Ralph

I would throw 3677 into the mix as well and add it to 7938/7936 plus a train station 7937....but I'm not really a fan of 7939 passinger train though. :wink:

I bought the maersk and a red cargo train. Pulled the power functions out of the red cargo train and put them in the maersk.....the yellow cargo train is a great value but isnt very attractive at all imo.....looks like a passenger train pulling cargo

I bought the maersk and a red cargo train. Pulled the power functions out of the red cargo train and put them in the maersk.....the yellow cargo train is a great value but isnt very attractive at all imo.....looks like a passenger train pulling cargo

Who cares what it looks like? It's a great parts pack that gives you all the trainy bits you need.

By the way, things may be different where you're from, but in my country many of the engines that are used to pull cargo trains are the same ones as are/were used for pulling passenger trains.

Cheers,

Ralph

STEP-1 is to get trains rollin. I'd get the yellow cargo train for all the track and Power Function bits, but any starter set achieves this function. (I bought the Passenger Train first)

STEP-2 is to build up you layout (depending on how much room you have) by adding more track. Then add sets like Level Crossing and the Train Station, since they come with track pieces anyways, so it's win-win.

STEP-3 is to get more trains and rolling stock. You can get another train set like the Red Cargo train or Passenger train for even more track and PF parts, or move to the Maersk Train and transfer the PF bits from your starter set (let's say the yellow cargo train) if you only have room for one moving loco at a time.

STEP-4 is to go nuts.

If your serious about the trains, you'll probably get hit with the bug and just buy every current train related set anyways. Shotgun approach.

Good luck with your choices!

Edited by eliminator

7939 has got everything you need to build your first layout.

If you like it, you can easily proceed from here.

get them all before they are discontinued is the best advice I can think of. :grin:

Emerald Night - Discontiuned

Cargo Train - Approaching

Passenger Train- Approaching

Red Cargo Train- Limited edition items have short spans

Maersk Train- Licensed items have short spans

Train Station- they might make something better, but it is interesting as a stop

Level Crossing- very useful

Who cares what it looks like? It's a great parts pack that gives you all the trainy bits you need.

By the way, things may be different where you're from, but in my country many of the engines that are used to pull cargo trains are the same ones as are/were used for pulling passenger trains.

Cheers,

Ralph

I care if its ugly....im not going to drop almost $200 on something that I think is ugly not to mention the cars are lame ID rather buy the track and crane seperate.....ive never seen a maersk pull passenger cars

Edited by proraptor

My first train was the Emerald Night - but things soon escalated from there. Now, I don't have room for a layout at the moment (although I've acquired enough track by now to build one if I had) so getting the tracks wasn't really necessary for me, but if it hadn't been for the EN I probably wouldn't have started with trains at all - which means I'd certainly recommend the EN as a starting point, not least because it's probably about to disappear from shelves.

If you're aiming for a layout, though, I'd go for 7939, like others have suggested. I like the train, and you'll get everything you need to get started - a track oval and all the PF stuff.

Edit: Sorry, I meant 7939, not 7938. Although I've just placed an order for 7938 myself :)

Edited by L@go

I care if its ugly....im not going to drop almost $200 on something that I think is ugly not to mention the cars are lame ID rather buy the track and crane seperate.....ive never seen a maersk pull passenger cars

that is because most people have/will never see the Maersk Train in person period. :snicker::sarcasm:

Lets not forget it is an American Diesel, 7939 is a European train (which I like, I don't see anything wrong with it )

I guess it is all about broadening your horizons, but I am with Ralph_S on this one, the Train is great, great starter cars, great parts and many extras, worth every dollar.

Hmmm, an interesting question, which has led to some interesting answers. Although I'm surprised no one has asked this important question in return, or at least brought up the subject - 9v or RC? Because to me, that's the first decision you'll need to make, especially if you want to stick to one path or the other with the interest of keeping everything compatible for simplicity/monetary sake.

I guess if you're just trying to jump in quickly, and stick with the current system Lego is supporting, where everything is readily available at local stores and Lego.com and such, I would say I mostly agree with what has been posted thus far - the PF system is nice and works with all the current trains, and I would agree the 7939 cargo train seems like a great starter set which gives you everything you need (except batteries). I personally don't have that set, mainly because I don't really like any of the cars (although I actually love that phat yellow engine), but I can tell it's a great starter none the less. The one thing I would NOT agree with is recommending the Emerald Night to a beginner. That train is awesome to look at, but it's an Emerald NightMARE to keep running. Don't get me wrong... I've had fun with that train, and all the interesting challenges it has to offer, but I would not recommend it as your first Lego train, just to make sure you don't walk away with a bad taste in your mouth.

Back to the 9v vs RC debate... Like you, I am an AFOL who got into Lego trains for the first time just a couple years ago, and since then I've bought quite a few trains, both 9v and RC, and so far I like the 9v sets much better. However, there are definitely pros and cons to each, so maybe I should share some of my 9v vs RC experience with you since no one else has addressed that yet.

9 VOLT

PROS

> The motor is easy to build into ANY Lego train, new or old, usually without much redesign, and takes up very little space in the model. Most often it's a matter of just switching out a set of wheels (bogie, truck, or whatever you call them), and you're done, making it easy to swap motors between different trains on the fly, without having to take a whole bunch of crap apart.

> Avoid the hassle of having to stop and charge and/or replace batteries, because 9v motors run solid all day long from a standard electric outlet in your home.

CONS

> No longer supported by Lego, so you're on your own to find advice, support, and parts. This isn't as daunting as it seems, as there are great resources and communities online for fans of 9v (including this site!), and finding what you need on Brinklink.com, eBay, and the like is fairly painless and not too expensive in my experience, provided you have the time to do a bit of homework before you buy.

> Only runs on 9v track (metal rails). The eBay hunt is on for a few packs of straight track and a couple switch points in the beginning, but once you get past that you'll be ok.

> Stationary control panel.

> Noise. The 9v engines do give out a fairly loud whining sound when they run.

RC (The Power Functions version, not the one that appeared in sets 7897 & 7898 and then quickly got discontinued. That version is similar in performance, although a bit more bulky/awkward, and more importantly no longer sold/supported by Lego. Ironically, 7898 is one of my fav sets, though.)

PROS

> Still supported by Lego, and readily available in local toy stores, Lego.com, etc.

> Runs on either type of track, 9v or RC.

> Much more quiet than the 9v engines.

> Mobile control panel. No need to sit by the control box, it goes wherever you go ;)

CONS

> Dealing with batteries, even when rechargeable, is flat out annoying to me. I suffer the annoyance of batteries only when I really want something to be mobile, and I just don't feel like being able to control a stationary train remotely is enough of a benefit to warrant the use of batteries.

> The components of the motor, batteries, IR receiver, wires, etc take up so much space in the model. This leads to various issues, and my biggest complaints with the whole PF system:

--> Swapping motor and other components between trains is a pain in the neck, usually requiring a good amount of disassembly.

--> The PF system doesn't work well with many of the older trains, as they just weren't designed with enough space to house all of those components.

--> Some models leave you forced to have components sticking out in clear view, which is just ugly IMHO. With the Emerald Night for instance, you lose the cool engine control compartment where the engineer is shoveling coal into the fire, and instead you see the giant PF motor sticking out the back of the cab. Not to mention the ridiculous set of wires leading from that to the battery that's housed in the coal car. I couldn't stand that, and converted the EN to 9v instead, simply by powering the coal car.

After all that, here's my recommendation, even though it may lead me to some sort of forum crucifixion... the 4561 Railway Express. This set is so awesome, and gives you everything you need to get up and running in the world of Lego 9v.

It is arguably one of the most unrealistic looking trains Lego ever made, mainly because of the tiny engine (still thinking about modding these myself, more to the style of the 4511 engine). But hey, I would argue other sets (including several of the new ones) are unrealistically sized as well, except now it's the cars that fall short, instead of the engines. Anyway, I simply LOVE the 4561 - the way it looks, the way it runs, the interior layout, the minifigs and accessories that come with it, etc - to the point that I basically bought 2 1/2 sets in order to have 5 carriages total (3 passenger, 2 auto transport) and 2 engines (front & back) to give it good length and that streamlined, speed train look. It was fairly easy to find complete sets on eBay for around $100-200 each, depending on condition. And after all the other Lego train sets I've purchased since, including the EN, Maersk, Cargo Trains, etc, I still can't get enough of my 4561.

Hope some of this helps when making your decision :)

Edited by fauxfoe777