Sign in to follow this  
Klaus-Dieter

Licensed sets or "own" sets?

Licensed sets or "own" sets?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which direction do you want to see TLG going more?

• I want more licensed themes and sets.
    • I want more "own" themes and sets invented by TLG itself.
    • I don't care.

It's great to see so many people being interested in this topic! :thumbup:

Thanks for voting and for your very interesting comments so far! :classic:

I of course voted for

more "own" themes!

It's not that I hate licensed themes. In contrary I'm a big Star Wars fan (but only OT and PT, no CW and all that other stuff) and so buy even a lot of Lego OT sets. But that's the only licensed theme of which I buy sets.

I don't say that TLG should immediately stop releasing licensed sets - that would be as stupid as to say that they should stop releasing "own" sets. But I think that TLG should look more on the quality of those movies they want to make sets about: Star Wars, Toy Story, Harry Potter and Spider Man are movies of high quality and with even a given demand behind them. :thumbup: But movies and so even Lego themes like Sponge Bob or Ben 10 are imo simply stupefaction for kids hanging around in front of the TV and they are even pure rip-offs. :thumbdown:

Apart from that Lego is a toy that should help kids to create their own world and develop their fantasy. With licensed themes the absolute opposite is is achieved since kids then only re-play the scenes from the movies.

But not for kids but even for adults the possibility for playing different scenes with sets is very limited since you always think about the scenes of the movie and so don't play something other. In contrary "own" themes offer nearly endless possibilites for play and imagination.

In general I nevertheless wouldn't have problems with (more) licensed sets since when you don't want to you even don't have to buy them. But (like I already mentioned in the first post of this topic) the main problem with licensed sets is that they take away the chance to get other non-licensed sets since TLG's production capacity if not unlimited. So when there are a lot of new licensed themes included in one year (e. g. next year when we'll see minimum four licensed themes) this means that we'll be getting much less "own" themes. Because of that e. g. next year we'll supposably only see one new "own" theme - namely something similar to Aquariders. And that's which really disturbs me: licensed themes at the expense of "own" themes! :thumbdown:

There are that many themes possible which either TLG hasn't been producing before at all (e. g. Romans) or themes which TLG didn't bring to an end - meaning where there would have been much more potential which TLG exhausted and where now a lot of sets are missing - (e. g. Western and Indians) or themes which already appeared but which could be done totally different (e. g. Egypts not as part of an Adventure theme but as a historical theme)! :thumbup: So why doesn't TLG release some of them?! :wacko:

Plus every new theme but even every comeback of an old theme offers a lot of new elements, characters and locations and therefore a lot of potential. :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

I voted more "own" themes. The original classic town, pirates and space themes is where I grew up with, and to me it is where Lego do best. I came out of my dark age not by any Star Wars set, not by any Indie sets, but the latest City set.

I'm afraid what Lego will come up with for the next few years for pirates, city and the like. I'm afraid with so many licensed sets they need to come up with, the man hours allocated to design a new set for City and the like will be stretch thin and we get lackluster sets. Remember the time when Lego has no licensed sets how many awesome City, Space, Castle, Pirates sets came out? I'm talking the period before 1996 when the 1st Star Wars sets are to come out a few years later. The Town sets in the 1997-1998 was a disaster, no thanks to R&D for the Star Wars sets of 99. During this period too the pirates line was discontinued.

Instead Lego is spending money on Ben 10, Disney license which I am sure cost a bomb to pay and a bomb to develop. Imagine if the same amount of money goes to:-

1) Designing a better ship in pirate, need something like a BSB

2) Return the city monorail! (this one maybe with the Disney license a monorail can be designed)

3) More original and amazing city sets like the Metro Park and Service Tower, 1991 harbour sets

4) Space ships that is as good as those from Blacktron, Space Police 1, M-tron

5) Another 8880 supercar

6) Fabuland

7) Paradisa; replace Belville with it!

I know licensed sets are one of the biggest cash earners for Lego, such as the Star Wars sets, but having 2-3 is will do and have more time for the bread and butter themes of Lego.

While pirates is great, SP3 has been by and large a disappointment. Classic space it is not, and I'm really not at all interested in the KK2-style themes (Agents, Exo-force, SP3, etc.).

I think the biggest SP3 set is very comparable to the classic space flagships, at least from what I've seen in the instructions. It's the smaller sets that look weak.

5) Another 8880 supercar

We're overdue on one of these now. They used to release them every 5-6 years, but now it has been 10 years without any super car (8 if you include 8466).

Edited by CP5670

I came out of my dark age not by any Star Wars set, not by any Indie sets, but the latest City set.

I'm talking the period before 1996 when the 1st Star Wars sets are to come out a few years later. The Town sets in the 1997-1998 was a disaster, no thanks to R&D for the Star Wars sets of 99. During this period too the pirates line was discontinued.

I of course voted for 'original themes', and it was City that took my out of the Dark Age aswell, and now I buy City/ Pirates / Castle, and soon some Space Police...

What made me reply to the thread is the quoted comment, I really think this is on target thinking, it would not surprise me that a R&D budget was allocated in this way. I would hate to see this happen again, that original themes are sidelined to create more time and resources for the development of new licensed themes.

I of course voted for 'original themes', and it was City that took my out of the Dark Age aswell, and now I buy City/ Pirates / Castle, and soon some Space Police...

What made me reply to the thread is the quoted comment, I really think this is on target thinking, it would not surprise me that a R&D budget was allocated in this way. I would hate to see this happen again, that original themes are sidelined to create more time and resources for the development of new licensed themes.

In your opinion, did the non-licensed themes in the past few years suffer from the development of Batman, Sponge Bob and Indiana Jones lines?

In your opinion, did the non-licensed themes in the past few years suffer from the development of Batman, Sponge Bob and Indiana Jones lines?

A very good point, and you are right that Lego have produced good original themes recently (city, castle, pirates), whilst producing good Licensed sets aswell. And I hope that they are able to continue to deliver good original themes, whilst developing the new licences. What has made me think about this period (well into my Dark Age, so i can not comment on 'Lego'), but I was a fan of the remastered Star Wars films, (and i am sure it was the revival of the original pictures that created the market for terrible prequels/ sequels), so it would not surprise me that funds were diverted by Lego R&D towards the 'Milch Cow' of star wars?

I think the biggest SP3 set is very comparable to the classic space flagships, at least from what I've seen in the instructions. It's the smaller sets that look weak.

You're absolutely right. There are two sets that actually look promising, the flagship being one of them, and the vehicle being the other. But two decent sets doesn't compensate for a line of 10+ sets. Even if you include the impulse sets, or exclude them, the numbers still don't look so good. SP3 should've been a castle, or a pirates, not an Agents or Exo-force (at the same time, I'm really, really glad they didn't blotch the pirates re-releases). Heck, if Mars Mission didn't feature stiff aliens and instead had real minifigures, I'd prefer that over SP3.

I voted for own sets. I think TLG already released too many licensed themes. LEGO don't need to be another way to promote movies and bad TV series, next to action figures and other toys with the same theme. If TLG keeps on that way it will lose her unique looks. If there are less licensed sets, there will be more space for (sub)themes TLG designed herself. Licensed themes are a sign to me that TLG can't or don't want to design something by herself.

Definitely more "own" themes. As has been stated by several folks, I find the licensed sets drive prices way too high for an already expensive product. They rely on far too many stickers/decals (I find this ruins the pieces for MOCs, but hey, the stickers come off easily enough if you never want to use them again). Also, they seem to use quite a number of custom parts that wouldn't be terribly useful for anything else.

I'd love to see more "own" space-themes, akin to the really good classic (circa 1987+ sets) space themes from about Blacktron I to Unitron (yes, some sets in the twilight of that era were pretty bad). Whether they re-visit those themes (like they're doing with Space Police III) or create new themes, I'm all for it. Though I would absolutely LOVE to see a Blacktron III line, returning to their original Black and Yellow colour scheme (and with cockpits that actually fully enclose a minifig, and don't need to be removed to place them in/take them out like so many of today's sets).

Ah wishful thinking... :cry_happy:

I think that having a portion of Lego sets be licensed is EXTREMELY HEALTHY for Lego. Like it or not, the fact that they can get a Lego Clone Gunship or a Lego Temple of Doom makes a lot of kids interested in Legos who otherwise would not be. Licensed sets are vital to Lego's continued success, so I like seeing a good mix of licensed and original Lego sets.

I see a lot of MOCs these days that use parts of licence themes, especially minifig parts. I agree that Spongebob figs are very special and not at all to use in other themes than Bikini Bottom related, but if you compare the minifigs of the Indiana Jones Line to the ones from City, you will find lots of interesting and unique designs, so versatile for city and lots of MOCs. Star Wars is also more than it seems, it is just a hell-on-earth design class for anything space-related.

In my opinion they co-operate, what works really well. I have no real inside on what TLC cuts from Castle to make a new Star Wars set, but I guess it is not much. I wouldn't like to miss Lego's own themes, neither Star Wars or Indy or Batman.

I like tan colored minifigures ,but I don't mind yellow minifigures.i perfer licensed themes but sometimes get into a "OWN" THEME SO I THINK TLC SHOULD HAVE BOTH.

I don't want more licensed themes, because it could put up the prices of lego, and more important - it means more would-be-flesh-minifigs. I think minifigs are supposed to be yellow and not pink (or whatever this color is).

Star Wars should go on for ever, but I do want more of the official designs.

You seriously want little kids :skull: to put up their c****y clone wars :sick: army and flood mocpages? :sad:

personally I love flesh tone figs. TLC should have more home brand sets, but they should also branch out with the licensed themes. a alien and predator theme would be nice.

a alien and predator theme would be nice.

Keep on dreaming. :grin:

LEGO has a "No Violence" policy, remember? Alien Vs. Predator both 1 and 2 would be on the top of their "Never License" theme. When/If the day comes that LEGO stops making sets for children, and focuses on adults, then perhaps you'll see those sets.

For now, just make your own. It's a lot more fun then following silly old instructions, and you can create "sets" that LEGO would never make. :sweet:

LEGO is focused on kids(And teens), so I doubt that a Alien Vs. Predator theme will ever be made. :look:

Own sets so they are more generic and lend themselves better to original MOC's. But bottom line, I don't care since I just buy sets to gut them for parts/techniques. I might get some Star Wars sets for the parts, but am hesitant since I wouldn't know what to do with the minifigs. Wouldn't sell them because I could never part with my toys except in the garbage can lol.

Personally I think both provide great opportunities for great sets. Right now I believe Lego has a pretty good balance of license themes and own themes. They have the 4 evergreen themes to provide the strong foundation for the Lego lines, as well as the inclusion of 2-year themes like power miners and agents that will both end soon and be replaced with new small themes. I'm hoping to see a new western line or, if they pull it off, new aqua zone sets.

However license theme add to the Lego company's range and allow us to see our favorite things brought into the wonderful world of plastic bricks. I really look forward to the new toy story sets as the movies were a HUGE part of my childhood. But some licenses have served their worth and need to move on, SW and Indy. I really would love to see new Johny Thunder after Indy ends, it allows for more flexibility in the sets and has more Lego charm in it.

Star wars, Indy, Disney, and the upcoming Ben 10 seems like a good variety of licenses and I hope Disney branches out.

I think Lego should stick with a 7-8 theme rule (bionicle and duplo excluded), the four evergreen themes, four licenses maximum, and 1-2 temporary themes that will change periodically and often. This will put more focus on central Lego themes and outside sources allowing a full complement of different settings and figures that can be whimsical and simplistic, like Lego should be.

Reaper052 :skull:

Licensed sets are a lot more money but Lego sometimes makes crap like power miners. But i'd rather they make more star wars and their own themes.

Some licensed themes like SW, Indiana Jones, and Batman have been great. However, some haven't- Galidor, for example. I'm worried that we're going to start seeing too many new themes. I don't particularly care for the pics I saw of Toy Story, and I'm worried about Ben 10. And there are supposed to be even more coming.... I know that TLC can make our wishes of extremely awesome Castle and Pirate sets come true if only they'd focus on them a little more.

Hate to say this, however, Galidor was all Lego right from the word go... They made it, they had a series made, they sold the toys...

The problem when Lego has a plot forced onto it through an existing canon or even more plot than a tiny "idea seed" is that the potential to plot out new models and stories is inhibited.