The Rancor

Review: Hyperspeed Pursuit 5973

5973 Hyperspeed Pursuit  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set (out of 5)

The number Three is repeated often because this is Space Police Three

The Mr. Zumbi is most likely for the Mocpages builder Mr. Zumbi that works for The Lego Group and actually worked on Space Police III and Power Miners.

Edited by SAMtheMAN99

The number Three is repeated often because this is Space Police Three

The Mr. Zumbi is most likely for the Mocpages builder Mr. Zumbi that works for The Lego Group and actually worked on Space Police III and Power Miners.

Yes, quite a few people have told me now, and this seems to be a trend for Lego stickers often in system themes.

I only used the number three pun of my own because if you buy all the current 2009 Summer Space Police set (1 each, including impulses and special editions, you end up with three skull people (2 from this set and 1 from Squidman's Pitstop). Also there were 3 gold bars.

You can interpret the '3' stickers in any way you wish :grin:

:thumbup: I built the set yesterday and experienced this as very pleasant. Police ship building is very similar to the one on old sets, then black ship building is more original -- so that overall building is never bothering and often surprising! However there are too many stickers that break brick building without much added-value.

:alien: I noticed the "I love Insectoids" sticker: I love winks to "old" Space fans such as these, furthermore the yongest children cannot understand but the message remains funny.

Thanks for the review, that Twinsmobile really does look like a car. I love it.

GTA in space On!!

I was just looking back on this thread to see how popular is has turned out to be. Roughly...

A Half of the people in this thread rate Hyperspeed Pursuit as high as possible (5/5)

A third of the people in this thread then also gave 4/5 still as a very good score

I am very pleased with both the response the the set's amazing design (which TLG can take in if they view this site), and also my reviewing skills. Thanks everyone for the amazing response :thumbup:

This set could easily be the best of 2009 :thumbup:

It's still my fave set of ANY line of 2009, but I must admit the Battle of Endor comes close (for many reasons, including I like Star Wars).

For Hyperspeed Pursuit, the range of parts is just so useful in other MOCs, such as fins, shooters, vents, engines and many other pieces.

I also think (as a sticker lover) that the stickers add so much character to the set and make is feel so fun, even just to look at.

The hidden links to other parts of the 'Lego Universe' such as Classic Space and the designers is another great addition to the theme in general.

I can't imagine many better designed System themed space ships, and the Skull Twins(or Triplets) come in my top 5 ever minifigs! :sweet:

Yes, quite a few people have told me now, and this seems to be a trend for Lego stickers often in system themes.

I only used the number three pun of my own because if you buy all the current 2009 Summer Space Police set (1 each, including impulses and special editions, you end up with three skull people (2 from this set and 1 from Squidman's Pitstop). Also there were 3 gold bars.

You can interpret the '3' stickers in any way you wish :grin:

Or it's just that they wanted to put a random number there and 3 looked the best out of all the numbers :sadnew:

Or it's just that they wanted to put a random number there and 3 looked the best out of all the numbers :sadnew:

It could be any reason. Think what you like :grin: because I think it really matters too much. However, a hotrod has to have a racing number, and the three is fine. 0 or 10 would have been cooler though imo. Unfortunately it would seem this ship is the only actual 'ship' in the convict arsenal. I mean, sure we have tiny speeders in Space Speeder and Gold Heist but the only other appealing bad guy vehicles for me are the massive 'bike' in Freeze Ray Frenzy (hopefully to get ASAP) and the Glacactic Enforcer mini-vehicle. All other bad guy SHIPS are not really present.

i wonder what "zumbi" is.... i realise that on the back of most license plates people spell strangely, but 2 letters.. wow, thats not much and its not fun to try and figure out what theyre saying.

also, im pretty sure that the skull twins are not "zumbi's".... they are like mutated human beings. what i prefer to think of them as(because of their torso), is that they worked at the octan gas station until something bad happened and they turned into pale faced creeps with 3 eyes... im no expert but. . . that doesnt sound like a zombie....

i was at target the other day and noticed on the side of the car was an inscription that said "i love insectoids" on it. now we know all lego space people live in the same universe at least, but thats not what im getting at here. maybe "zumbi" is the next line of space stuff. just a thought. theres been 3 lines of space police and the other 2 lasted for more than one year(lately that hasnt happened with other space themes), so perhaps "zumbi's" are next years villans.

!!!

just got an idea.... that green dude with the horrid looking teeth... dont remeber his name but he looks kind of like a zombie! maybe thats his species type? maybe we'll see more of this guy next year. let me know what you think!

i wonder what "zumbi" is.... i realise that on the back of most license plates people spell strangely, but 2 letters.. wow, thats not much and its not fun to try and figure out what theyre saying.

also, im pretty sure that the skull twins are not "zumbi's".... they are like mutated human beings. what i prefer to think of them as(because of their torso), is that they worked at the octan gas station until something bad happened and they turned into pale faced creeps with 3 eyes... im no expert but. . . that doesnt sound like a zombie....

i was at target the other day and noticed on the side of the car was an inscription that said "i love insectoids" on it. now we know all lego space people live in the same universe at least, but thats not what im getting at here. maybe "zumbi" is the next line of space stuff. just a thought. theres been 3 lines of space police and the other 2 lasted for more than one year(lately that hasnt happened with other space themes), so perhaps "zumbi's" are next years villans.

!!!

just got an idea.... that green dude with the horrid looking teeth... dont remeber his name but he looks kind of like a zombie! maybe thats his species type? maybe we'll see more of this guy next year. let me know what you think!

As said before, Zumbi is the name of a designer for SPIII

Great review :D I plan on getting this sometime :D

btw "Zumbi" is one of the designers that worked for the SP III theme :)

Raphy was the first person to notify me of this.

Another look at the score of the set and it seems quite odd, because more people voted 2/5 than 3/5, but the set got 36 votes for 100% excellent.

I still haven't dismantled the set - it is on display in my bedroom with other additions from the SPIII line (which aren't as good)

Edited by The Rancor

Nice review, did you realize you made the poll multiple choice??

If I ever get back into space police action, this set's on my list.

Great review , well done photos and well thought out and humorous script. Well I have no shame in admitting that this theme and this set specifically, got me back into Legos. This is the first set I have purchased since 03'.

I purchased this set Friday and came back to this review to see how it measures up to my own opinion. Pretty dead on. The missile launchers are very solid.

The figs are awesome, and the Police cruiser is way better than I had originally thought. I rated it 4/5. Why? Two reasons actually.....

1) Try and get the Officer out of his ship, you either need a brick separator or claws to do it. I love the use of a skelly leg in his yoke, but combine that with the canopy issue and you soon get a frustrated 7 year old. ( I did) I am searching BL now to see about a hinged canopy replacement.

2) The generic space police officers tick me off in this line. Here in the States, we tend to glorify criminals. (Scarface, Al capone, any Serial killer.)

TLG, seems to follow suite here. I have no issue with the criminals getting identities. But the theme seems to be, about the adventures of the Black Hole Gang and the nameless coppers out to stop them.

I will say that despite the problems stated above, this is the first time a space theme of any sort has caught my eye. I can appreciate that TLG seems to be moving toward a "Space City". Both ships are of a solid build, took a decent amount of time to build and were fun to build. All-in-all a good solid purchase.

Michal

Edited by Eldervampire

Thanks for the review.

I just got this set yesterday and had it built immediately. Construction is good so far. Just the load of stickers is annoying a bit. Though I am very happy with it. The set provided me with a good bunch of new parts I didn't have before, a lot of transparent color pieces.

I especially love the boosters on the police ship. I was waiting long to get thos round pieces that hold the small boosters.