Sign in to follow this  
Captain Zuloo

'Behind The Helm'

behindthehelmet%20copy.png

Hey everyone, and welcome to another episode of ‘Behind the Helm’, the new interview series from Classic-Pirates.com. I’m Connor Hicks, aka Captain Zuloo, and over the past few weeks I have been on the lookout for some of the most interesting personalities in the LEGO Pirate community in the hope that we can dig up their pirate-y stories.

C-P: Today I'm talking to the likes of Taylor Green, previously known as HMS243 in the online community but now as Admiral Béjaune. With 23 years of experience in the LEGO hobby, he is a shipbuilder to be reckoned with.

Welcome to the sow mate!

Admiral Béjaune: Ah, thanks Connor.

C-P: So, let's start with a little introduction. I understand you live in a seafaring port somewhere in Florida, USA with all the wenches and sunlight you could wish for.

Admiral Béjaune: Yes the sunny shores of Pensacola, right on the gulf of mexico.

C-P: And what feeds your LEGO addiction?

Admiral Béjaune: I have an obsession with the age of sail, and I always read up on anything that has to do with it, and every ship model or painting that I see I immediately think to myself "that would look cool in built in LEGO". And usually Bricklink feed the obsession!

C-P: What feeds your Bricklink orders? What do you do for a living?

Admiral Béjaune: Right now I have a few ventures that put food on the table.

C-P: Well, aside from food (It's dinner time and you're making me hungry! :pir_laugh2: ) when did LEGO come into your life?

Admiral Béjaune: I was about 4 or 5 years old, and for my birthday I was given the Caribbean Clipper as a gift from my parents. That started the addicition.

C-P: Hahaha, they created a moster! Has Pirates always been your favourite theme?

Admiral Béjaune: Oh yeah! :pir-classic: When I think of LEGO I think of Pirates...

C-P: Do you have a favourite Pirate set?

Admiral Béjaune: Oh, thats a tough one.... I would say Black Seas Barracuda, Eldorado Fortress is in close second. The funny thing is, I didn't have either one of those sets when I was a kid, I just recently bought them in the past two years.

C-P: Well they were good purchases! Do you have a favourite faction of the Classic theme?

Admiral Béjaune: I would have to say that the Bluecoats are my favorite faction, but when I was a kid it definatly was the pirates!

C-P: What do you think of the new 2009 Pirates line?

Admiral Béjaune: Hang on, my compputer is doing something wierd.

C-P: What, is it interviewing you? No? Oh, that's me... My bad. :pir_laugh2:

Admiral Béjaune: I like the new pirate line. Especially the new minifigs, they have some great mocing pieces in the sets as well.

C-P: And of those sets, which is your favourite?

Admiral Béjaune: I would have to say the soldiers fort, but Brickbeard's Bounty comes in close second.

C-P: A few months ago, you entered your Dark Ages...what was the story there?

Admiral Béjaune: Well I had recently moved and my LEGO did not make the trip with me. I had also just started up a buisness, so I was busy getting that rolling. 

C-P: Well I'm happy you're back! Are you working on any MOCs at the moment?

Admiral Béjaune: Well I just finished up on my ship, the Sang Royale. She just needs a few touches and I'll offically post her, but I have been working on a 38 gun frigate. I also have another large project I have started on... :pir-skull:

C-P: Cool, I look foward to seeing those MOCs! :pir-classic: Have you got any other comments you'd like to make before I kick you off the show[/i]the interview ends?

Admiral Béjaune: It's great being back, I have a few up and coming projects that I'm very excited about, and it should put the Bluecoats on top and keep them there forever!

C-P: Ok, well to close things off, where did your screen name - no, screen names come from?

Admiral Béjaune: I needed somthing more rememberable than hms243 so I had it change to Admiral Béjaune. Béjaune means greenhorn in French, and since the master shipbuilder (CGH) is showing me some pointers on shipbuilding, that makes me a greenhorn.  Ha even thought I have been building for quite some time now!

C-P: Ok, well thanks heaps for your time matey. It's been great to learn more about the famous Admiral Béjaune! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your story.

And we'll catch the rest of ye scurvy dogs in the next swashbuckling episode of 'Behind The Helm'!

Hmm, the good Admiral has an obsession with the age of sail. Me too! And LEGO is a lovely way where imagination takes shape. :pir-sweet:

Béjaune has a very busy life, but I'm happy he stepped back into the LEGO addiction again! :pir-laugh:

Great interview again guys! I'm looking forward to the next episode! :thumbup:

Great interview. It was a pleasant read.

But, I'm still curious were HMS243 came from. :pir-classic:

But, I'm still curious were HMS243 came from. :pir-classic:

That was his Eurobricks name before entering his dark ages. Upon returning he had his name changed to Admiral Be'jaune :pir-classic: Another good interview, but I still think Zuloo should be interviewed :classic:

Edited by Broadside

Another great interview! I love to see how many people started LEGO when they were young and are still in it despire a few "timeouts". I also like to see people who live in seafaring ports, and take inspiration for their LEGO from that.

It's always interesting to hear the story of the man behind the legofreak :pir-sweet:

Good one YnyklY :thumbup: I really laughed out loud when I read that :pir-laugh:

Another great interview Zuloo. Thanks for the hard work. I llok forward to seeing those future projects come forward from the good Admiral Béjaune. Thanks for sharing Admiral B.