52 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion!

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

I was all excited to get this set, because I thought I'd get it before anyone else on this site to review it :angry: But, I'm two weeks too late. I reviewed the Hoth set in order to compare it with this one, so I'm going to carry on with this. I will say, having built it and thought about it, I'm more satisfied than I expected to be.

Set#: 7749

Name: Echo Base

Theme: Star Wars

Year: 2009

Pieces: 155

Minifigs: Hoth Han solo, 2 Snowtroopers, 2 Hoth Rebel Soldiers

Price: 2,970 yen

MSP: U.S.$25, £21.49

7749-1.jpg

Peeron

Brickset

Bricklink

The box

Nice display, 10th anniversary box.

img_2012.jpg

Actions featured on the back.

img_2015.jpg

A slightly notable difference is that all the figures aren't featured, just a single one.

img_2017.jpg

The booklet

The book is a simple horizontal book.

img_2021.jpg

The actions are shown, plus a space battle with 2009's Clone Wars ships (notice a space theme with this summer's ships, compared to last summers...)

img_2023.jpg

And, as has been shown before, a fantastic addition, the minifig list

img_2024.jpg

The Pieces

Four bags. Tauntan bagged separately.

img_2018.jpg

5 lovely minifigs. This brings the set a notch above a battle pack, and changes the way the price has to be viewed. Battle packs have been strictly 4 figures (except the droid one, but those aren't real minifigs :tongue: ), and the tauntaun is half a figure. Or at least half a something :tongue:

img_2025.jpg

img_2026.jpg

An important feature of this review is comparing it to the Hoth set. Here we see the rebel compared to the old (on the left). It seems only the visor has changed. I like the look of the new one, maybe just because it's a new design, but it doesn't sit as well as the old did. It comes down a smidge too far. Am I being picky?

img_2028.jpg

The snowtrooper is exactly the same. The old is on the left. Perhaps this was the best answer, for the empire builder. I have four snowtroopers now, which is fun, I guess. But I'm never delighted but something I got last year. Anyway...

img_2029.jpg

The Finished Product

Leftovers. More than usual, but nothing special, but you can update one of your Hoth troopers with the leftover visor.

img_2035.jpg

Nghyaaaghhhh! Nghyaaaghhhh!

img_2031.jpg

I like this tauntaun, despite actively disliking the castle theme's trolls. I got my first tauntaun 27 years ago, I was a boy, and I understand them more than elephants or giraffes. Yup, this got a pass. For the 80% of living people who liked Empire they'll probably be satisfied.

img_2060.jpg

And then Han gets involved. Cool shoots to freaking cool.

img_2061.jpg

The set is a nice little mini-diorama

img_2036.jpg

On their own they look decent.

img_2037.jpg

The features leave something to be desired. Here, we see the flick fire missiles in action. Don't poke your eye out!

img_2040.jpg

And the Rebel standing point also has a launch pad.

img_2045.jpg

Those boys took off!

img_2043.jpg

The set has some hideaways in the canon, which are fun, though the roof is flimsy. The piece holding it on came off almost every time I moved it. It adds playability, but I really don't remember people hiding in the cannons in the film. I could be wrong though.

img_2046.jpg

I really like the Imperial cannon. It is simple, and effective. This is great design, and made me think of the movie as well.

img_2047.jpg

img_2048.jpg

He's working it, he loves the camera :tongue:

img_2049.jpg

And here's how the whole thing looks. There are three main elements, enough to make it hard to photograph in its entirety.

img_2050.jpg

More Comparisons

Here's the original

hothbattle.jpg

Here is the new cannon and the old. Which is most accurate? Neither :sad: But, the new one is more stable, the old one is a little wobbly on the top. Plus, the new one's design is cleaner and simpler, so I like the new one.

img_2054.jpg

Here is (a replica) of the original.

sw0319snowtrooperloose-m.jpg

The new one is definitely leaner, and has the power box too. I have to go with the new one. But, I never loved the old one, so this is an easy choice.

img_2066.jpg

The sets look well enough together. I still think it's bizarre to make such a small diorama, but people love Hoth, and there were only three vehicles in that scene (AT-AT, AT-ST, and snowspeeder) so TLG had their hands tied as to what to produce. In light of that, this set works as an addition to the old. Though the cannons are strikingly different.

img_2058.jpg

The Final Verdict

Design: 9/10 It has three play features, which is great in such a small set. The cannon is sturdy. One gripe is that the base is held together by a single piece, and came apart a few times while photographing this review. It's not flimsy per se, but it's not meant to be moved and adjusted a lot. The aesthetics are quite nice though.

Build: 7/10 It is what it is, a mini set. I've seen better though, like the walker battle back.

Playability: 9/10 This is well conceived set. Good guys, bad guys, tauntaun. The only thing that would improve it would be a cut away tauntaun belly, but there's no Luke, so it's just as well.

Minifigures: 10/10 The fifth figure puts it into a fairly unique range of sets. This is the only mini set I've gotten that had five. Four I already had from the old Hoth set, but the Han figure is great, especially his hood.

Price: 8/10 When I saw this, as I placed the order, I thought ripoff. But given some time to think about it, it's a little more expensive than a battle pack (about 50% more), but you get a little more. So, it's not a good price, but it's a respectable one.

Overall: 8/10 This is a decent set, no regrets. :grin: For those that want some Hoth in their lives, this set gives the goods, though not too many goods.

great review!

I like how you made comparisons from old to new minifigures and the snowtroopers machine gun.

I like how this set goes really nice with the echo base but the new turret make the old turret look terrible :tongue:

I think that the new visors do go down too far which looks annoying but they still look far better than the old ones.

Do the rebel soldiers just have generic faces?

Edited by Roncanator

Do the rebel soldiers just have generic faces?

Thanks! The faces are plain ol' fleshy smilies. Also, I should add, the snowtroopers are black heads, with eyes cut out of the helmets. I miss the old goggled faces for troopers, I think they looked better.

If it weren't for the eye-covering Tauntaun horns and the overly pushed down Rebel visors, this would be a great review. :tongue:

If it weren't for the eye-covering Tauntaun horns and the overly pushed down Rebel visors, this would be a great review. :tongue:

Fair call on the tauntaun :wink:. I've reshot those pics to match the instruction book. The visor though, that's TLG's fault. They should fit into place.

Great review. Very informative and made my decision to buy one much easier. Definitely don't regret buying this set. Han Solo and the Tauntaun are the best component of this set for me. I recommend the set to other Lego SW fans.

I laughed when you said "don't poke your eye out!" :tongue:

Anyway nice review I look forward to getting this set when it comes out. :classic:

Thanks for this great little review, def. :classic:

This set is a bit overpriced, but what you get for the money (Tauntaun, Hoth Han Solo, two snowtroopers, and two hoth rebels) is a awesome deal.

All of these minifigures will be new to me. :sweet:

EDIT: I voted above average for this nice little set. :classic:

Edited by ILikePi

Thanks for the wonderful review, def :sweet:

I still don't like this set very much.

After the comparison with the 'real thing', I don't think I like that cannon as much.

IMO, this set relies too much on the minifigs.

But of course, it'll sell well anyways :angry:

Thanks for the great review.

Voted average for this set because of the minifigs :tongue: and also the new Taun-taun.

Can't wait to get mine.

Thank you for the nice review.

This set could have just another fig for the price or even more trench (or a white 32x32 baseplate :wub: ), but it looks good enough.

I think I will buy one or two of this.

Thanks for the review def :thumbup:

I got my sets saturday and started building a few yesterday, one of them being this.

An important feature of this review is comparing it to the Hoth set. Here we see the rebel compared to the old (on the left). It seems only the visor has changed. I like the look of the new one, maybe just because it's a new design, but it doesn't sit as well as the old did. It comes down a smidge too far. Am I being picky?

No you're not. :tongue:

Although the design is way better than the old one, it looks/feels/is the same as the POD race goggles of episode I, this is a feature that could have been prevented by adding a little nob on the visor.

I like this tauntan, despite actively disliking the castle theme's trolls. I got my first tauntan 27 years ago, I was a boy, and I understand them more than elephants or giraffes. Yup, this got a pass. For the 80% of living people who liked Empire they'll probably be satisfied.

I love the tauntaun :wub:

The tauntaun makes this set so incredible.

The features leave something to be desired. Here, we see the flick fire missiles in action. Don't poke your eye out!

Hahaha saw this too and made me laugh. Maybe if you would held up the set above your head and looked upwards when flicking the missiles than it could be dangerous :laugh:

The set has some hideaways in the canon, which are fun, though the roof is flimsy. The piece holding it on came off almost every time I moved it. It adds playability, but I really don't remember people hiding in the cannons in the film. I could be wrong though.

Here is the new cannon and the old. Which is most accurate? Neither :sad: But, the new one is more stable, the old one is a little wobbly on the top. Plus, the new one's design is cleaner and simpler, so I like the new one.

I like the old one better. As it is taller which makes it look more like in the movie.

I really like the Imperial cannon. It is simple, and effective. This is great design, and made me think of the movie as well.

The new one is definitely leaner, and has the power box too. I have to go with the new one. But, I never loved the old one, so this is an easy choice.

mmm Looking at the pictures I think here too the old one is done better than the new one. Dont get me wrong; I like the new one as well.

This set is a definite buy for everyone that likes starwars and lego. :thumbup:

Anyways thanks again for your review. I enjoyed reading and commenting this.

Edited by Future74

I know I revive an old thread but I just need to comment in this set (I just finish building mine :tongue: ). I need t say I am VERY impressed :cry_happy: . The box art don´t do this set justice even a bit :sadnew: , the Taun Taun is smaller then I thought something that is really good, the size of it is PERFECT, best SW creature hands-down :tongue: . The little diorama is AMAZING, from the box art it looks pretty simple but when builded it is bigger and looks really good especially the "trench" piece. The minifigs are great and the new Hoth Rebel Troopers look better with the new googles :thumbup: . I definitely reccomend this set :thumbup: !!!

I was thinking of getting this set but with the review I know I'm going to get this set. Thanks.

This is a great set.

You know how the visors come too far down on the Hoth Troopers.

Well the same happens to me with the Ep. 2 clones and their visors.

Great review.

I don't think I'd want multiples of this set though.

Great review def. You made this set see decent to me, before I thought it was a ripoff, just like you.

Great review Dev!

I can't wait to see this in stores...haven't found it yet. I'll be buying at least two of them so I'll have a pair of tauntauns; I can see myself buying a few more so I can have more Snowtroopers. Looks like a great little set at a fair price--exactly what I wanted this set to be.

Now I want a Wampa!

Great review, does anyone forsee this becoming an instant collectors piece like the Hoth set?? It's already backordered on Shop@home?

great review with great comments and great pics 10/10 :thumbup: thx a lot

i going to get the set twice... mainly fpr the minifigs... but it's a good deal!

I have got this set-for £19.99

Its just what I always wanted but the price is hard to swallow.

Its a great review of a great set with a silly price.

Great review. :thumbup: I hadn't noticed that the goggles on the Rebels were different. I am actually planning on getting two of these even though the price is jacked up ten dollars. It's worth it for those snowtroopers. :wub: