Sign in to follow this  
legoindy01

What licensed themes will end next year?

I wanted to know what licensed theme will be over next year. I know that lego is getting ben 10 and Disney licensed themes but all that I know is ending is spongebob. I also know star wars is not ending next year so I guess its' betweeen the ferrari and lamborghini , and the indiana jones theme or will they just only end spongebob and have 5 licensed themes?

I know Indy and F&L have more possibilities.

Actually, I think that Spongebob has a lot more potential. As much as I doubt it will be renewed, I think that there is a lot left to be done. I do think that they should be done with Ferrari, as I think they've done just about everything they can with that...

Edited by darthperson

Down with Spongebob! :cannon: If you really think about it, a majority of the kids that did collect the Spongebob sets, probably moved on with the introduction of the Indy sets. On top of that, the Ben 10 and Disney lines will sway all remaining Spongebob supporters to it's side.

Interesting topic, but I don't think there is a definite answer. I'm pretty sure, though, that spongebob is a goner. And although I hate to admit it, I have a feeling that Indy is going to end soon too. Not sure about the Ferrari and Lamborghini ones. Never really cared for those licenses.

And although I hate to admit it, I have a feeling that Indy is going to end soon too.

What makes you say that? There are plenty of possibilities- just see the idea thread. Indy has only been around for two years, and it's comparable to Star Wars in terms of success. I think it still has at least 5 years left.

I also agree that Ferrari/ Lamborghini are both going to end soon, though. I don't even see these in my stores, so I don't think they sell all that well. Spongebob is on its last leg, too.

What makes you say that? There are plenty of possibilities- just see the idea thread. Indy has only been around for two years, and it's comparable to Star Wars in terms of success. I think it still has at least 5 years left.

I also agree that Ferrari/ Lamborghini are both going to end soon, though. I don't even see these in my stores, so I don't think they sell all that well. Spongebob is on its last leg, too.

Finally, someone who agrees with me. Indiana Jones has A LOT of potential and plenty of sets to make. I think it will last at LEAST 3 more years. so far they've only done 7 or 8 sets per year. Spongebob ending was officialy announced on lego.wikia.com.

Ideas For Indy Sets

Brawl in Nepal,Large Boat Plane,Map Room,Staff car,Bantu Wind & submarine,Ark Opening,Club Obi Wan, Ford tri motor,village,journey to pankot,pankot palace,bugtunnel/death trap,temple of kali(add on), Mines (add on), More track pieces,Battle on the Bridge,Young Indy train, extra track,Boat escape,Venice catacombs under library,Brunwald castle, Zepplin,Car,Tank Chase,Temple of the Holy Grail,Area 51,rocket sled,doom town,Mutts motorcycle chase (includes Diner, and colledge),Jungle Chase, Plus some UCS models, and a few sets from Indiana Jones and the staff of kings.

thats 32-40 which is enough to last 4-5 more years of Indy!

I think that Ferarri will be ending. I think it lasted too long anyway because there are so many things you can do. I home Indy stays it's my favorite movie series of all time!!!

Ferrari/ Lamborghini should definitely end soon, as well as spongebob, but ...Indiana Jones ? Please no! That's pretty much the best theme and it shouldnt end so quick. As legoindy01 said, there are too many sets yet to be made.

I wanted to know what licensed theme will be over next year. I know that lego is getting ben 10 and Disney licensed themes but all that I know is ending is spongebob. I also know star wars is not ending next year so I guess its' betweeen the ferrari and lamborghini , and the indiana jones theme or will they just only end spongebob and have 5 licensed themes?

I know Indy and F&L have more possibilities.

Ferrari has a better chance of being let go than lamborghini. Lamborghini comes from the volkwagon license, not their own. Besides, only one Lambo set has been availableso far, and not even in stores yet! Why would they end something they just started?

Even though Indy has alot of possibilities, I sadly think it will come to an end. And it was my favorite license..... :cry_sad: I have no clue why I think it might, but hopefully I'm wrong and it will last longer...

I love Indy but there's no way it will last another 5 years. Maybe another one or two waves at most. There are some interesting suggestions in the future Indy ideas thread, but many of those are sadly unrealistic. Large scale building sets like palaces or civilian sets like villages just don't sell to kids. Lego likes good guys vs bad guys and vehicles. It's also nowhere near as popular as Star Wars, especially in the non-North American markets. People are already complaining that a second Indy video game is overkill. Don't get me wrong, I think the sets have done brilliantly considering most of the movies were made 10-15 years before the target audience was born, but I don't see ongoing goodwill to the franchise like Star Wars seems to attract.

Star Wars has been a few very uninspiring patches where the designers seemed on autopilot (like the start of 08) and I'd hate to see that happen to Indy just for the sake of the line continuing. I'd rather it go out while still spectacular and with a high reputation as one of the best themes!

I also agree it's likely Spongebob may be dropped. Four waves isn't a bad run for that theme. The repeats of the original sets seem like the last hurrah.

I love Indy but there's no way it will last another 5 years. Maybe another one or two waves at most. There are some interesting suggestions in the future Indy ideas thread, but many of those are sadly unrealistic. Large scale building sets like palaces or civilian sets like villages just don't sell to kids. Lego likes good guys vs bad guys and vehicles. It's also nowhere near as popular as Star Wars, especially in the non-North American markets. People are already complaining that a second Indy video game is overkill. Don't get me wrong, I think the sets have done brilliantly considering most of the movies were made 10-15 years before the target audience was born, but I don't see ongoing goodwill to the franchise like Star Wars seems to attract.

Star Wars has been a few very uninspiring patches where the designers seemed on autopilot (like the start of 08) and I'd hate to see that happen to Indy just for the sake of the line continuing. I'd rather it go out while still spectacular and with a high reputation as one of the best themes!

I also agree it's likely Spongebob may be dropped. Four waves isn't a bad run for that theme. The repeats of the original sets seem like the last hurrah.

This is all true, 5 years was definitley stretching it. But I can really see 2 or 3 more years in the line. The tank is a great vehicle. and kids are always interested in caastles so why not have brunwald castle for the last crusade. I can understand whay a village is unrealistic, but the palace and castle could be done like a harry potter castle. This theme could really go far.

I'm thinking that Indy is going to run for three years, as batman did, and then end. I won't let it stop until I get that tank :tongue: . However, it may end next year, as most of the hype around indy 4 is over, and the general public has moved on to other things. But with Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford talking about a possibility of Indiana Jones Five (the last one in the series), and seeing as Lucas has a contract with Paramount for 5 Indiana Jones movies, lego might stretch out this license with the possibility of another movie around the corner (Ford said he wouldn't do it if it took more than a certain number of years to make).

And I wrote all of that to say that I think Spongebob will end next year.

Edited by Tinn-man

I'm thinking that Indy is going to run for three years, as batman did, and then end. I won't let it stop until I get that tank :tongue: . However, it may end next year, as most of the hype around indy 4 is over, and the general public has moved on to other things. But with Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford talking about a possibility of Indiana Jones Five (the last one in the series), and seeing as Lucas has a contract with Paramount for 5 Indiana Jones movies, lego might stretch out this license with the possibility of another movie around the corner (Ford said he wouldn't do it if it took more than a certain number of years to make).

And I wrote all of that to say that I think Spongebob will end next year.

Indiana Jones 5 is a huge possibility and if there is an announcement made before 2012 then lego will probably continue the theme until then. Indiana Jones 5 will have to be the end of the series but there has been talk of a sixth with mutt williams :sceptic: like maybe Indiana Jones: the mutt williams chronicles and then the tittle of the movie, this could lucas and spielberg could pass the torch to a new director and writer and see what happens.

I'm praying Indy won't end. It's like a brother to Star Wars...

Speaking of Star Wars, 2011. No bout. I'm sorry to say this, but all we have left are a bunch of Expanded Universe sets to go. Clone Wars won't last to long, and OT is really almost all out except for maybe 5 more sets. In 2010, there should be arounnd 30 sets, and then poof, bye bye SW. :cry_sad:

It is possible that the Nickelodeon license will end and be replaced by a 2nd run of Disney. Ferrari might end, too, being replaced by Ben 10.

On a side note:

(I can't believe the Toys "R" Us in Green Bay, Wisconsin, my home town, still has some Speed Racer Movie sets on clearance...for $59.98! They're just sitting there on the top shelf, over 20 Speed Racer Grand Prix sets collecting dust on the top shelf, long after the license was discontinued! Talk about undersold!)

I'm praying Indy won't end. It's like a brother to Star Wars...

Speaking of Star Wars, 2011. No bout. I'm sorry to say this, but all we have left are a bunch of Expanded Universe sets to go. Clone Wars won't last to long, and OT is really almost all out except for maybe 5 more sets. In 2010, there should be arounnd 30 sets, and then poof, bye bye SW. :cry_sad:

satr wars should continue on forever and be timeless. They could just keep making the old sets and making them better. lego will loose half of their fans if they end star wars. But on lego.wikia it says that the license will end in 2011 :cry_sad: but there may be a renewal, again. :cry_happy:

Mayby like Batman, Lego Indy will go away with the release of Lego Indiana Jones 2, hopefully not though.....

But lets try to look positive for Indy, mayby with the release of MAYBY a new film and the new video game, it will be more popular then ever and Lego will keep the licence for awhile!

I really don't want SpongeBob to end. It had a lot of potential, but the price points kinda ruined the theme.

I hope they don't end Indy anytime soon. It was really a great theme for minifigs, and they still have a lot of area to cover.

I'm not sure I want the Star Wars line to run forever. They'll probably renew the license, make some decent remakes,

and then possibly sets from the live action series or EU, but then what?

I don't want them to make remake after remake after remake.

You´ve got a point there. Obviously SW is a moneymaking license, but how many incarnations of an X-Wing does the regular Lego enthusiast need/buy?

It is possible that the Nickelodeon license will end and be replaced by a 2nd run of Disney. Ferrari might end, too, being replaced by Ben 10.

On a side note:

(I can't believe the Toys "R" Us in Green Bay, Wisconsin, my home town, still has some Speed Racer Movie sets on clearance...for $59.98! They're just sitting there on the top shelf, over 20 Speed Racer Grand Prix sets collecting dust on the top shelf, long after the license was discontinued! Talk about undersold!)

No offense, but the theme was as crappy as the movie and the sets ridiculously overpriced. And I fail to see a "clearance" price with 60 bucks...

You´ve got a point there. Obviously SW is a moneymaking license, but how many incarnations of an X-Wing does the regular Lego enthusiast need/buy?

No offense, but the theme was as crappy as the movie and the sets ridiculously overpriced. And I fail to see a "clearance" price with 60 bucks...

I agree! They should just reduce the price to $39.95, or something like that. They need to realize that the movie bombed.

I would like to see an updated Star Wars Episode I Podrace set, before they discontinue Star Wars in 2011. That would rock! Like I said before, the Disney license is not new, and that it is a second attempt, only after the short lived Mickey Mouse sets from 2000-2001. Hopefully they'll make some great sets, that will utilize rare pieces, and different building techniques.

I think Ferrari is a going away. It seems like there isn't much left to do. It seems like every set has bee nreleased in at least two versions. Lamborgini is a follow up on the 10187 Volkswagen Beetle set. We might se more of Lamborgini if this one sells well but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think we will see Indy for a couple of years more. I think it's popularity has been proven enough just in this thread. And I bet it has sold pretty well to.

And I think it's going to be interesting to see how many of next years licensed themes will make it to a second year. The only concern I have is that the sheer volume of new licenses next year will truncate the non-licensed themes.

On a side note:

The biggest toy store in my area has had Speed Racer sets of most sizes at up to 50% clearance since before christmas and they are still not getting rid of them. I guess that since the movie sucked it hasn't created any intrest in the sets. And all the new exciting stuff LEGO has been releasing this year isn't helping either.

Edited by Mirandir

Well, I see Star Bores rolling on for eternity, regardless of how many repeats of a set are dusted off and "modernised". Spongebob is ending. I have not seen a single set in a shop in the UK and Disney is a rival of Nickelodeon, so Lego certainly won't be keeping that theme going. Indy might take a break between now and the next film. Or a few sets a year to keep it ticking over.

Speed Racer was awesome, bothe the theme and the film. Anyone who didn't enjoy the film has a rather sour soul. I wish any shops near me had them on clearance so I could buy a bunch of them for parts to make my own cars. (A goal of mine is to create most of the cars that were in the film).

To sum up: Spongebob finished, Indy might get a few more sets, Star Wars... :pir_bawling: never going away, Speed Racer = Awesome.

Well, I see Star Bores rolling on for eternity, regardless of how many repeats of a set are dusted off and "modernised". Spongebob is ending. I have not seen a single set in a shop in the UK and Disney is a rival of Nickelodeon, so Lego certainly won't be keeping that theme going. Indy might take a break between now and the next film. Or a few sets a year to keep it ticking over.

Speed Racer was awesome, bothe the theme and the film. Anyone who didn't enjoy the film has a rather sour soul. I wish any shops near me had them on clearance so I could buy a bunch of them for parts to make my own cars. (A goal of mine is to create most of the cars that were in the film).

To sum up: Spongebob finished, Indy might get a few more sets, Star Wars... :pir_bawling: never going away, Speed Racer = Awesome.

And considering that this is Disney's second time partnering with LEGO since earlier in this decade, when they had the Fabuland-esque Mickey Mouse sets. For now, I agree, SpongeBob (don't forget to capitalize the B in Bob next time) is finished. I do hope that the Toy Story sets sell just as well as any other successful licensed theme. The way I see it, maybe when the LEGO/Disney partnership ends in 2012 or later, maybe they might pick up Nickelodeon for a second time, unless another licensing deal breaks the cycle, like one from Cartoon Network, or Universal Studios. LEGO probably learned from licensing products, that some licenses are hits (like Star Wars and Indiana Jones), some are duds (like Speed Racer, LEGO Sports NBA Basketball, Lego Sports NHL Hockey) and some were in between (like SpongeBob SquarePants, Spiderman, Batman, Harry Potter). To sum it all up, licensing LEGO products has many perils and promises.

Im expecting that LEGO will get the LOTR/Hobbit license that will start in mid 2011, so something will have to go to make room for it. Since the new Hobbit movies will be coming in winter of 2011 and 2012, LEGO can milk both the Hobbit and Lord the Rings franchise for a very long time afterwards.