Sign in to follow this  
JimBee

The Flying Alligator

indexed.gif

So, Indiana Jones has been an unbelievably sucessful Lego line for the past two years. With the release of the new movie, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Indy merchandise has been selling like hotcakes. But, in Legoland, Indy and friends want more. The Star Wars line has been around for 10 years now- is it coming to an end? This presented the perfect opportunity for the Indy line to take over the Star Wars line and become the most popular Lego theme ever! However, the Star Wars characters weren't going to go down without a fight. The two themes fought and fought, and every time Indy and the gang lost... until now.

Indiana Jones himself came up with an idea. He thought that if he couldn't beat the SW line, he should join it. So, just like a clone brand building block, Indy copied SW and created a new interpretation of the X-Wing, the Flying Alligator. Prepare to find this set in your Lego Star Wars section at your local store instead of the original Lego Star wars X-Wing fighters.

Overview/ Front

3601612454_e7c15f6920.jpg

Indy and friends designed this imitation X-Wing to look like it came straight from the jungles of Peru.

Bird's-Eye View

3600800301_0d1d7cbcce.jpg

Left View

3601613832_0a3bac2d5e.jpg

Sorry about all of the paper in this one, the ship barely fits in my studio.

Right View

3601614568_69cde37b6f.jpg

Rear View

3601615282_05e5530e78.jpg

Teeth

3600803177_406a970274.jpg

Wondering why it's called an alligator? Here you go. The wings don't open like an X-Wing, but hte does, like a mouth. Look at those choppers!

Cast

3601618310_06f139aecb.jpg

The crew of the Flying Alligator. From left to right, Short Round as R2-D2 (or Yoda, if you like), Indiana Jones as Han Solo (they seem similar. I wonder if they're actually the same person as a double agent?! :oh3: ), and Henry Jones Sr. as Ben Kenobi. Yes, I am aware that Short Round and Henry Jones Sr. don't coexist with each other in the movies. That's called Expanded Universe.

I apologize for the bad pictures, as I am using a substitute camera while my old is being fixed. Please also have a look at my Flickr set, for more pictures. Thank you. :classic:

It doesn't look that much like an X-wing, it doesn't have the things that makes it reconisable (s-foils, ect) i'd change it to a Z95 headhunter personally.

My other gripe is that the wing is too long and thick compared to the fusalage. Bulk it out a bit.

Edited by simonjedi

That is supposed to be an X-Wing?? *huh* It doesn't look much like it at all. :sceptic: It reminds me a lot more of an ARC-170. As such, it would be a pretty good interpretation (although it would need the big engine things in front), but as an X-Wing... not so much. :sadnew: Therefore, I would either reconsider the reference vehicle or the design of the MOC.

Also, don't Alligators have more than just six teeth. :tongue:

Alright, alright, no need to be so harsh. :tongue: I made it an X-Wing because I thought that the body shape would fit nicely, but I guess not. I was also considering it to be an ARC, but those need S-foils too. However, it would be easier to add two sepereate S-foil wings to each side than to add one to each side, because the giant wing piece is straight. I'll probably add S-foils.

Also, don't Alligators have more than just six teeth. :tongue:

Yes, but I don't have more than six clip things (that I'll bother to find).

I'll probably add S-foils.

Good idea. :thumbup: And while you're at it, you can also add some big round proppeller engines in front, like these. :classic:

Yes, but I don't have more than six clip things (that I'll bother to find).

Well, if you can't be bothered to find the right pieces for your entry, you can't expect to win either, can you? :tongue:

Good idea. :thumbup: And while you're at it, you can also add some big round proppeller engines in front, like these. :classic:

I'll probablt move the rear engines to the front like that picture ( :wub:) has them.

Well, if you can't be bothered to find the right pieces for your entry, you can't expect to win either, can you? :tongue:

I guess not. Then again, I don't expect to win anyways. :tongue:

Hopefully I can make these improvements before the contest is over.

it slightly resembles an X-Wing but you DEFINITELY need the s-fold wings.

Its looking really really good though

I agree with simonjedi, it should be a Z-65 Headhunter (I think it's 65 :wink: )

Also, be a good sport and get the title changed to The Flying Croco-gator :grin:

It looks very nice, but I would agree with others that it does not resemble an X-Wing too closely. I don't think it needs more teeth, if it had more than the mouth would just look too full.

At first, I thought it was a MOC of one of those Klingon ships from the old Star Trek show/movies. But with a few modifications, I'm sure it will look like an X-Wing, and then it will be great!

To be honest, what I dont like here is not the likeness, but the fact that it looks like you just modded the flying wing. I dont feel any impact from this one, and it just feels uninspired. I wish I didn't have to be so blunt, but thats how I see it.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll make adjustments accordingly.

Natman, thanks for your imput, but trust me on this one; it took a lot more than just the Flying Wing. :wink: I took pieces from all (yes, all) of my Indy sets, and some from my spare parts. While it does take a lot of the pieces from the flying wing, that is kind of the point. I wanted to turn the Flying wWing into an X-Wing.

At first, I thought it was a MOC of one of those Klingon ships from the old Star Trek show/movies.

I was thinking the same thing :grin:

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll make adjustments accordingly.

Natman, thanks for your imput, but trust me on this one; it took a lot more than just the Flying Wing. :wink: I took pieces from all (yes, all) of my Indy sets, and some from my spare parts. While it does take a lot of the pieces from the flying wing, that is kind of the point. I wanted to turn the Flying wWing into an X-Wing.

True, but looks and the reality are quite different sometimes.

And officially accepted.

Bear in mind what you've been commented on by other members and decided wether or not to modify this before the deadline.

Remember that this is your design and it's all up to you how you want it to be :thumbup:

Good luck.

And officially accepted.

Bear in mind what you've been commented on by other members and decided wether or not to modify this before the deadline.

Remember that this is your design and it's all up to you how you want it to be :thumbup:

Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement, Kim. :classic: Considering there is less than 24 hours to get a new version built and posted, I think I'll keep mine the way it is. Thanks once again for everyone's feedback, it is very helpful to me. Good luck to all.

I don't know about everyone else, but I really like your entry JimButcher :wub:

It looks like an authentic Indy vehicle!

I love your use of Indy pieces, and it definitly looks like an X-Wing

I'm not sure exactly how the voting system is going to work, but you definitly have part of my vote :classic: