Rate the set  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Today I'm going to review my recent Glatorian Legend Vasus!!!! wooo!

Mind out, though... there are a FEW modifications(very minor)

First off, a glory shot to entice you, the viewer, to read on.

p1020283.jpg

Now, the box:

p1020298.jpg

As you can see, the artwork is pretty darn epic-still keeping that elemental feel we've been graced with lately, but with that ominous Skrall maze background. In the center, we have our set in question holding his spear scythe wrong, but otherwise looking all majestic and cool.

p1020299.jpg

The back features a lineup of all Legends coming out this year all glorified and what have you. There is also the BIO code that I have left untouched for your convenience. legal stuffs, etc... let us move on.

The parts:

p1020301.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory. These are all the parts that actually came with the set, and as you can see, it's a pretty decent catch. The transparent pipe with green inside is especially cool-gives the impression of carrying venom to the scythe.

The shoulder armour is also cool, though it won't work with MOCs that don't have lime green mahritoran blades or any of the snake-themed parts in this set. Still pretty cool, though.

More part-specific shots!!!

The new arm socket parts will come in handy...

p1020306.jpg

See the snakehead at the scythe end? Snakes everywhere!!!

p1020293.jpg

more snakes intertwined as armour...

p1020286.jpg

...and another on the mask.

p1020294.jpg

Venom tube!!!! I see great potential for this in future MOCs

p1020296.jpg

THE BUILD:

The shoulder armour falls off due to the use of only one black pin, but I added a blue axle/pin and the problem was fixed. It does NOT wobble, thank god.

The little inika thigh armour piece that now serves as a codpiece to the veteran seems a tad out of place, and makes it so that the hip part has to be a stud higher than usual, thus making Vastus short.

p1020308.jpg

Also to be noted here is the lazy way that his back is arranged. Two three-long blue pins hold the life-counter on, and to fill up the space between, we have these lame parts that do nothing for the model.

p1020309.jpg

My kingdom for a back!!!

Other than this, the model is pretty solid, and carries itself well.

PLAYABILITY/POSEABILITY:

Not much different from other Glatorian or the Inika or Mahri or Phantoka or mistika... etc..

The Scythe when built as recommended hinders all arm movement, but a two-sided connector at the end of the shaft will fix this problem.

p1020291.jpg

He can do a handstand!!!

p1020310.jpg

Predator...

p1020313.jpg

...Or prey?

p1020315.jpg

Overall, the set is pretty decent-a lot better than people give credit. The torso fails a bit, but he awesome new parts and theme make well up for it. The jungle/snake theme is very welcome and I hope to see more of this in future sets, as well as more "injector" tubing.

OVERALL SCORE:

Parts: Good score. New parts, good colors, recolours. 10/10

Design: Fantastic work on the snake armour and mask. The scythe is very nice and the overall matched theme wins. But that torso sets it back... 8/10

playability: good articulation, swingable weapon, thornax, balance. All good here(as far as canister sets go) 10/10

Price:5/10 13 dollars for canisters is outrageous. I'm never gonna give a good prices score for a canister unless it's absolutely the best thing ever. However, given the new parts and such, it's a fairly good bang for your buck. Good on new, bad on recolours.

Edited by KimT

Wow, very good review. Love his "snakes"-didn't notice those details before.

He looks like a good set. Shame about the torso and legs....wish the snake-theme was kept in those areas too.

Shakar

@Shakar: Agreed. That would have been awesome.

Anyway, great review! Vastus is my fav legend for all the snake themed pieces and the armor. I will be getting him first.

Thanks for the review.

Boy, this guy has come a long way since the foam parts I saw at Toy Fair. But on the other hand, his torso and legs still suck.

Nice new pieces though.

Wow, very good review. Love his "snakes"-didn't notice those details before.

He looks like a good set. Shame about the torso and legs....wish the snake-theme was kept in those areas too.

Shakar

Yrah... maybe some leg ermour to cover up thos atrocious Hordika shins!

@Shakar: Agreed. That would have been awesome.

Anyway, great review! Vastus is my fav legend for all the snake themed pieces and the armor. I will be getting him first.

Sweet! I'm glad you like him! I might review Stronius next, but I think everyone already has enough of him XD

Sweet! I'm glad you like him! I might review Stronius next, but I think everyone already has enough of him XD

Save Kiina for me. Seriously, you guys will love my review of her. I just need to get her first. X]

Yrah... maybe some leg ermour to cover up thos atrocious Hordika shins!

We can never have enough of him. <3 Do you have the right pieces to post a piC of him with ice blue eyes?

We can never have enough of him. <3 Do you have the right pieces to post a piC of him with ice blue eyes?

yus. And yellow, too. i can also sho him wearing Tuma's mask, and a Skrall mask, If you wish

Thanks for the review, I didn't notice those snake details from other pictures. Would you mind resizing the pictures to 800x600 though?

yus. And yellow, too. i can also sho him wearing Tuma's mask, and a Skrall mask, If you wish
Cool. I mainly want to to see the ice blue eyes version, but I like your ideas. Can you post them when you can? Thank you very much.

Shakar

Cool. I mainly want to to see the ice blue eyes version, but I like your ideas. Can you post them when you can? Thank you very much.

Shakar

I'll post 'em in the 2009 images/discussion thread since a review is quite unnecessary.

He's worse than I thought he was... probably the only Legend I don't want, even for parts.

So we have lime over dark green on the arms, but everywhere else it's dark green over lime? Bwhut?

Not to mention the hideous legs (only worked on Chirox) and bizarre... pooch... thing...

Thanks for reviewing him. Now I know I don't want him.

~Bunda

Edited by Bundalings

I like the snake-theme and exotic look, and I'm willing to ignore the Hordika legs... But the arms' colors are really unbalanced and I hate his torso. The torso is easily fixable by myself, but do you think you could post a photo of him with dark green forearms? (Available in Kongu Inika.)

I may buy him. With modifications he could be great, but he is awfully expensive...

I like the snake-theme and exotic look, and I'm willing to ignore the Hordika legs... But the arms' colors are really unbalanced and I hate his torso. The torso is easily fixable by myself, but do you think you could post a photo of him with dark green forearms? (Available in Kongu Inika.)

I may buy him. With modifications he could be great, but he is awfully expensive...

I'll get on that. I'll also show you pics of him with lime green Inika legs(from Nocturn). just that part makes him look suddenly buff and menacing. Haven't the slightest what to do with that torso. I don't like moding too much-just enough to make it better.

@bundalings: harsh, but facts are facts. It is simply whether or not it matches up to preference. In all honesty, this is prolly a horrid set to lots of people for the reasons you list, but I think it's pretty cool. I have an attraction to the strange and unusual. The worse a set looks, the more appeal to me it has.

When you post those other pics, could you "Please" make them smaller? ;;D

It's surprising to see the snakes when the older pics looked more like he had Triffid sapplings on his shoulders, sort of like some kind spore buds. But I likes me some snake. Arrrgh! ;;D

If only they used feet that fit the flow and lines of the set, it would be much better. The Piraka Claw feet in DarkGreen w/ Lime claws would acheive this quite perfectly, even attaching the counter on the feet like they did with Vorox. Another thing would have been to have lime chest pices to give more snake belly effect. Perhaps a 1X7 LiftArm and attach a Lime Vizorak Foot at the bottom with a Lime Piece(That piece that's used to show Gresh's triceps) at the top, or even have the lower half snake-bodied like a Yuan-Ti/Naga. Inspite of any of that it's still one my favorites for this season.

When you post those other pics, could you "Please" make them smaller? ;;D

It's surprising to see the snakes when the older pics looked more like he had Triffid sapplings on his shoulders, sort of like some kind spore buds. But I likes me some snake. Arrrgh! ;;D

If only they used feet that fit the flow and lines of the set, it would be much better. The Piraka Claw feet in DarkGreen w/ Lime claws would acheive this quite perfectly, even attaching the counter on the feet like they did with Vorox. Another thing would have been to have lime chest pices to give more snake belly effect. Perhaps a 1X7 LiftArm and attach a Lime Vizorak Foot at the bottom with a Lime Piece(That piece that's used to show Gresh's triceps) at the top, or even have the lower half snake-bodied like a Yuan-Ti/Naga. Inspite of any of that it's still one my favorites for this season.

Piraka feet in new colors would have been AMAZING. And I'll make sure to use smaller pictures next time. :tongue:

I just picked this set up the other day (I was looking for Ackar or Mata Nui, or possibly even Stronius, but my TRU only had Vastus, Gelu, and Kiina). I actually like it quite a bit. Even with the scythe/spear left as it is, Vastus can achieve some pretty cool poses.

His helmet is a thing of beauty. The way the snake's fangs form the opening for his mouth, the overall shape of it . . . wonderful. And, when the helmet is on, he looks like he's frowning or grimacing.

I just picked this set up the other day (I was looking for Ackar or Mata Nui, or possibly even Stronius, but my TRU only had Vastus, Gelu, and Kiina). I actually like it quite a bit. Even with the scythe/spear left as it is, Vastus can achieve some pretty cool poses.

His helmet is a thing of beauty. The way the snake's fangs form the opening for his mouth, the overall shape of it . . . wonderful. And, when the helmet is on, he looks like he's frowning or grimacing.

I really do like the helmet, but my only bother is the way it looks with the Glatorian "mouth". Had the mouth not been there, it would look less like he had huge jowls