Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

National Day of Sweden

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Today, the 6th of June, is the National Day of Sweden. The least celebrated holiday in Sweden :tongue: Well, that's not completely true but it isn't a very big holiday and hardly anyone knows why we celebrate this day. But I thought I would do at least something so here is a little MOC.

lego_nationaldag_001.jpg

Tonight it's time to kick some Danish @$$ in football :devil: Go Sweden!

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I wish it was possible to build my flag with Lego bricks :(

turkey_flag.gif

I wish it was possible to build my flag with Lego bricks :(

turkey_flag.gif

Yeah, that's a difficult one. Maybe if you make it really, really big :tongue:

Today, the 6th of June, is the National Day of Sweden. The least celebrated holiday in Sweden :tongue: Well, that's not completely true but it isn't a very big holiday and hardly anyone knows why we celebrate this day. But I thought I would do at least something so here is a little MOC.

Nice MOC commemorating the day! Though I have yet to visit Sweden...it is on my list as soon as I can get over into the Scandinavian countries. Enjoy the day and the football match. :thumbup:

-Dave

Always found it funny how different Norway and Sweden are in this regard, in Norway the National Day (17th of May) is a huge thing, with children parades all over the country and massive TV coverage. But nothing like that in Sweden, even though we are so similar in most ways.

Anyway, happy national day to all the swedes out there :classic:

Always found it funny how different Norway and Sweden are in this regard, in Norway the National Day (17th of May) is a huge thing, with children parades all over the country and massive TV coverage. But nothing like that in Sweden, even though we are so similar in most ways.

Same here, it's a festival all day long! We use every excuse to celebrate, we have 3 national days :cry_happy: But Swedes seem to be more interested in the football games :classic:

Happy national day !!

(I like the tile built cloth btw)

So why do you celebrate this day. Or is it just about being Swedish?

So why do you celebrate this day. Or is it just about being Swedish?

Well, there is two main reasons. The first is that Gustav Vasa was elected King of Sweden the 6th of June 1523 which definitely ended Sweden's part in the Kalmar Union (with Denmark and Norway) and becoming of an independent country. The second is the introduction of the new Instrument of Government 1809.

But as I wrote before, not many Swedes know of this and I think that nowadays it's just about being Swedish and having a day off :tongue:

Later this month, the 19th, we have the Midsummer's Eve holiday which is much more celebrated and a bigger part of Swedish culture. I guess the closeness to this and other big events, like graduations, contribute to making the National Day less attractive as a holiday :sceptic:

Well, there is two main reasons. The first is that Gustav Vasa was elected King of Sweden the 6th of June 1523 which definitely ended Sweden's part in the Kalmar Union (with Denmark and Norway) and becoming of an independent country. The second is the introduction of the new Instrument of Government 1809.

But as I wrote before, not many Swedes know of this and I think that nowadays it's just about being Swedish and having a day off :tongue:

Later this month, the 19th, we have the Midsummer's Eve holiday which is much more celebrated and a bigger part of Swedish culture. I guess the closeness to this and other big events, like graduations, contribute to making the National Day less attractive as a holiday :sceptic:

Okay, thanks for the cultural and history lesson. Always nice to know I think. :thumbup:

Now I can impress whatever Swede I meet. :tongue:

And just being Swedish would do it for a lot of us as well. :laugh:

Edited by L-space

It's like Polish National day of Flag and Coat of Arms of Poland - one day off, but no one knows why :pir-wink: .

And Happy National Day!

Edited by Zuntir

lego_nationaldag_001.jpg

You know that all Minifigs are actually citizens of Denmark, so these guys are gonna wave with a different coloured flag on the couch next to you. :tongue::grin::wink:

Nice MOC and the answer to the above would be:

"In your dreams Pedro, in your dreams" :laugh:

La-hoo-ser :grin:

Nice one Etzel! I was on a wedding in Leksand on the 6th:

leksands_kyrka_1234270313.jpg

This is the church.

During the wedding dinner we got updates on the football game :cry_sad:, congrats to you KimT and the rest of the Pølsemæn.

CopMike