Captain Zuloo

'Behind The Helm'

behindthehelmet%20copy.png

Hey everyone, and welcome to another episode of 'Behind the Helm', the new interview series from Classic-Pirates.com. I'm Connor Hicks, aka Captain Zuloo, and over the past few weeks I have been on the lookout for some of the most interesting personalities in the LEGO Pirate community in the hope that we can dig up their pirate-y stories.

C-P: Today I have the pleasure of interviewing Eurobricks Global Moderator and MOC Expert Rick Bewier, known as Captain Green Hair on the Pirate forum. Welcome to the Show Rick.

CGH: Hello Connor!

C-P: So to start the ball rolling, where did your LEGO hobby start?

CGH: LEGO for me started when I was about 6. I remember getting the Black Falcon fortress from my grandparents and it was my first large set. Throughout childhood I never had many other toys, I always asked for LEGO for birthdays and Christmas.

C-P: Would you say you have favourite theme? If so, what is it, and why?

CGH: Well, LEGO has many great themes like Trains, Town, Castle and some pretty cool licensed lines as well.

They all have certain aspects that I like, but my favourite theme has to be Pirates. When they came out in 1989 I went to a LEGO show in a local department store and I saw this big ship there. Ever since that moment I have been building bigger and bigger pirate ships. As a child I never had prefab hull pieces, all was brick built. I regret I have no pictures of any of those models.

C-P: A shame indeed. So how did you wind up on Eurobricks? What do you do there?

CGH: Well I found Classic-Pirates.com first. When I saw that they were discussing my ship The Denise, I decided to join and reply in the thread. I kinda flew through the ranks being made a Fellow within 6 months, and just shortly after I became a moderator as there was a shortage of staff then. At the time we had a lot of spammers and members that were just too young to be here. So we had a few very busy weeks making the forum more organized. We still work on organizing the forums better and upgrading the quality level of posts made in discussions held in the various theme and other forums.

C-P: Ah yes, the Denise was a lovely ship. Are you working on any MOCs at the moment?

CGH: Currently I am working on the Dutch VOC ship the Prins Willim in minifig scale. I have started almost a year ago and I will need another year the least to finish her. The plan is to display her at LEGOworld 2010 in Holland.

Then there is always my project list, which is just too long to write down.

C-P: I wish I could be there, but Holland is just a little too far from Down Under! Do you look up to anyone in the LEGO Pirate community as far as MOCing goes?

CGH: Slyowl and Sirnadroj are very good at creative use of parts and making lively scenes, I really enjoy their work.

I also think we have some of the best shipbuilders in the world on our forum like Teddy, Errorist and Phred.

C-P: Indeed we do. Some of the ships our members are producing now-days are unbelievable! Do you have any particular activities you enjoy outside of the LEGO hobby?

CGH: Riding my motorcycle, sailing, swimming, painting, beer and hanging out with friends.

C-P: Ah, a real pirate! Well, maybe without the motorcycle bit. What do you think of the Classic-Pirates.com blog?

CGH: I think you guys are doing a good job at keeping it updated. I must admit I don't use it that much as I'm always on the forum anyway, but when one is a regular reader of the Classic-Pirates.com frontpage and not the Pirate forum, they wouldn't miss out on much!

C-P: Thank you very much! I'll pass the compliment onto the team! So where did you get the inspiration for your famous sigfig?

CGH: Well the name came first, so I just needed a pirate with green hair. I also like that big scimitar, so I was glad when I found 1 in chrome silver and that I no longer have to knit wigs with the now used green joker hairpiece on the 2009 version of him.

C-P: And finally, where did your username come from?

CGH: One time I was sailing when I fell overboard. When I came out of the water I had some weeds in my hair.

Then one of my shipmates called me ''Groen Haar'', which means Green Hair in Dutch.

C-P: Hahaha, well that is an interesting tale to tell! Well thank ye very much for taking the time to be interviewed Rick, I'm sure we all learnt something from you. Good luck with your future MOCs, and keep us all posted!

And we'll see you guys in the next episode of 'Behind The Helm'. Yargh, all the best!

Thanks for bringing out another episode! It is always very interesting to read about other member's LEGO tales. :pir-blush:

Captain Green Hair has a very interesting story about his LEGO hobby history and his role in the forums.

I recognize some things in myself too. We are both from Holland, and in Holland we ALL love beer! :pir_laugh2:

Now I'm eager to see the next episode! Who is it going to be this time?

I'll let you post this as the item for the seventh and schedule my eBay post for the ninth so that this can get enough attention. :thumbup: Great interview!

I'll let you post this as the item for the seventh and schedule my eBay post for the ninth so that this can get enough attention. :thumbup: Great interview!

Thank you for your kind words Adam! :pir-classic: We'll discuss this on the frontpage further in the Yard. :pir-wink:

Its great that you guys put the time and effort in to do these. Interesting interview, its good to get to know a bit more about everyone on here. I was wondering about what age range peope are, i thought i was one of the oldest at 25.

Another interesting interview Zuloo, thanks for piecing these together :wink:. I like where our name came from, you're clumsy fool Green Hair :pir-laugh:.

Great interview Captain Zuloo. :thumbup:

Now we know were CGH his nickname comes from. :pir_laugh2::pir-classic:

Edited by Teddy

Your doing a fine job with these interviews Zuloo. I must say, that was very interesting, I really like how he got his user name.

Cheers :thumbup:

I think the most people here are between 18-40.

We can almost call ourself the LEGO generation. :pir_laugh2:

As a matter of fact EVERYONE on the site should be over 18 but I suppose it is easy to pick out the kids. {Because of multi-coloured buildings}

Again, thanks for another great interview! Its really nice to know a little bit more about the people we run into on the forum almost everyday! I have to say that Green Hair is one of those who I am envious of because I dont think my building skill will ever surpass or even match his!

I know there was a time when you were questioning if you still wanted to do these interviews... Keep it up! We all enjoy them!

-Super

As a matter of fact EVERYONE on the site should be over 18 but I suppose it is easy to pick out the kids. {Because of multi-coloured buildings}

You should know there are quite alot of respectable TFOLs here.

Anyway, back on topic. Great work Zuloo, I await your next interview. It's nice to read these without actually writing them yourself :pir_laugh2:

Stauder.

Of course I already knew a lot about my friend Captain Rick Green Hair, but still its nice to read and see him being interviewed.

Oh, and well done Captain Zuloo :thumbup: !

I recognize some things in myself too. We are both from Holland, and in Holland we ALL love beer! :pir_laugh2:

No we don't. :pir-grin:

Great interview.

Allthough i don't build pirate stuff I really enjoy following the build of the 'Prins Willim'.

Thanks for hearing my story guys, and thanks to Zuloo for making the interviews! :thumbup:

I was wondering about what age range peope are, i thought i was one of the oldest at 25.

No, you're just a young puppy in here. :pir_laugh2:

I like where our name came from, you're clumsy fool Green Hair :pir-laugh: .

I must add that i was not at the helm at that time, so it wasn't my mistake the boat tipped over. I'm everything but clumsy! :pir-hmpf_bad:

Allthough i don't build pirate stuff I really enjoy following the build of the 'Prins Willim'.

I guess i should do an update one of these days.... :pir-look:

Now if you'll excuse me i have to dig through a bunch of minifigs, that i can take home for 1,50 a piece. :pir-grin: