Matn

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4

legopotter.jpg

Warner Bros. Interactive has officially announced Lego Harry Potter (Years 1-4) scheduled for release in 2010.

You’ll be playing as Harry Potter, Ron Wesley and Hermione Granger as you “attend lessons, cast spells, mix potions, fly on broomsticks and complete tasks to earn house points.” “With Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 we are creating an open, wide-ranging experience within Hogwarts that is full of fun and LEGO magic,” said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games. “Harry Potter is one of the most beloved and well-respected characters, and we look forward to bringing gamers a new way of interacting in the universe with the LEGO games’ great humour and exploration.”

No platforms are detailed at this time.

Press release below.

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT, TT GAMES AND THE LEGO GROUP

ANNOUNCE LEGO® HARRY POTTER™: YEARS 1-4

Videogame Pieces Together Two of the World’s Most Recognizable Brands to

Introduce New Harry Potter Game Experience

London – Embargoed until 1400 GMT, June 1, 2009 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and TT Games are teaming up with the LEGO Group, to merge two of the world’s most popular brands with the creation of LEGO® Harry Potter: Years 1-4. Based on the first four Harry Potter books and movies that tell the story of Harry’s first four years at Hogwarts™ School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, LEGO® Harry Potter: Years 1-4 offers an engaging mix of magical gameplay and light-hearted humour. LEGO® Harry Potter: Years 1-4 is being developed by TT Games and will be published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and is scheduled for release in 2010.

LEGO® Harry Potter: Years 1-4 will give gamers the chance to experience the magic and adventure of Harry Potter in a new and uniquely LEGO way. Playing as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley™ and Hermione Granger™, as well as other favourite characters, gamers will have the opportunity to attend lessons, cast spells, mix potions, fly on broomsticks and complete tasks to earn house points. Throughout the game, players will also have the freedom to explore iconic settings from the wizarding world including Hogwarts castle, Diagon Alley™, the Forbidden Forest and the village of Hogsmeade™!

“With LEGO® Harry Potter: Years 1-4 we are creating an open, wide-ranging experience within Hogwarts that is full of fun and LEGO magic,” said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games. “Harry Potter is one of the most beloved and well-respected characters, and we look forward to bringing gamers a new way of interacting in the universe with the LEGO games’ great humour and exploration.”

“Harry Potter is one of the world’s most popular and inspirational heroes, and LEGO® Harry Potter: Years 1-4 will appeal to a generation of gamers who grew up immersed in the Harry Potter books and films, and also loved playing with LEGO toys,” said Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Development and Production, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The game is geared for players to experience a good mix of puzzle solving gameplay with exploration and battle in some of the most beloved Harry Potter environments, plus a few other surprises.”

The video can be seen here: http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/01/lego-harry...er-first-movie/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so excited! This is going to be awesome. This game makes up the lack of sets for the last movies. Although it's only year 1-4, I'm pretty sure they will develop a game for all the movies and books (just like LEGO Star Wars: the complete saga). This is going to be so awesome. Oh wait, I already said that!

Seems to me that TT is makiing less and less of an effort to make a good game... There's hardly any Lego in the whole trailer. Only the minifigs.

They could at least used the Envelope tile that exists. Or Something... Anything...

It's what I disliked the most in Lego Indiana Jones but after the fantastic job they did on Lego Batman, I was hoping they wouldn't do it again...

Still, I'll have to reserve judgement, I guess... Since we haven't seen anything of the gameplay...

It looks alright I guess but not really that good. Also as Yellost said not much Lego either.

Well, the graphics don't look too impressive...

But everything else certainly does! Lego Harry, yay. It's been ages. They're probably not gonna release new sets, but at least we get a Lego Potter fix. Here's hoping they use that theme music in the actual game. So iconic. And fun to see what all the characters would have looked like that never got made or never got fleshified.

Mm..interesting...might buy this, but I am not sure.

Also, does this mean LEGO is renewing the Harry Potter license?

The graphics looked really bad and overall it didn't look that great. Hopefully they do the same thing with this game as they did with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Batman.

Awesome! Now I can get back control of the Wii. Toodles has Indy, Batman and SW. This is very exciting... for the last few years everytime we go into a games store we are waiting for this to be there. And now it will be. I think it looks great and funny like the other games already out!

Thanks Matn for the link and great news.

Thanks for the great news, Matn!

Although I haven't bought any of the past LEGO games (and I might not get this one), this game might open up the possibility of more Harry Potter sets! :classic:

EDIT: Harry Potter was one of my favorite themes, even though I wasn't around to get or see any of the sets. :grin:

Edited by ILikePi

On one hand, I guess this is TT further milking the cash cow, and this game will be exactly the same as the IJ and SW games. On the other hand, I've been wanting something like this for ages.

As for LEGO renewing the HP license, Lego Star Wars, Batman and Indiana Jones were made while the sets of those themes were being made, and the games kind of tied in to the LEGO lines. Maybe LEGO will renew the HP license next year to coincide with the game's release. I certainly hope so, since HP is one of my all-time favourite themes.

Awesome! :cry_happy: I can hardly wait for this! The trailer is hilarious and baby Harry looks so cute! :laugh: And years 1-4 are my favorite years! This is gonna be so much fun! :thumbup:

As for the renewal of the License: Well, it would be wonderful of course, but look at what happened with Batman. Although the game was fairly popular, TLC didn't even bother to keep the sets that were being sold at the time in production and ended the line. :sceptic: And besides that, there is also still the issue of the tone of the last few movies being "too dark" for TLC make sets of. :hmpf:

But I'm an optimistic guy, so here's hoping they will give us some more sets! :thumbup:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Yes!! :wub:

I have always wanted something like this as Harry Potter are my favorite books ever. I hope this means more sets but I doubt it.

The graphics don't bother me because if it looked real then t wouldn't be Lego.

Edited by Tom Bricks

While I don't at all expect TLC to renew the licence, I doubt the argument of the last films being "too dark" really holds. They've made sets for all the films thus far. What's worse in books 6 and 7 than what we've already seen? Death on a larger scale perhaps, but (beloved) characters have died in books/films 4 and 5, too.

Speaking of "too dark" - the Jedi and Sith from Star Wars are lightsaberhappy arm-cutter-offers and force-choking, lightning-bolting baddies. Not to mention the heartripping-and-barbecueing practices of Indy's good old Mola Ram. Harry Potter is nowhere near as sadistic as those franchises. In Potterworld, most people die by wand - no blood or guts at all! Not to place Potter above Star Wars or Indy, I love all three themes, but seriously... "Too dark"? No way, man.

Edited by Mr Spielbrick

I totally agree with you Mr Spielbrick! It's just a pathetic reason to stop the LEGO Harry Potter licence. And I've always said that. Star Wars is way more darker than Harry Potter and all the magic that goes with it. It would be great of LEGO to start making sets again, I wonder what they would come up with. But it is just hope, I don't think there won't be actually sets. If I'm wrong, I couldn't be happier!

And as Mr Spielbrick said, this game will introduce loads of characters from the movie and films with a new face. I am planning to make my own custom minifigures based on Harry Potter, because well, the fleshies now come a bit boring after a while. It will be easy to base my decals on the in-game figures.

Hmm, looks alright. Hopefully there will be more LEGO in the actual game. I also hope to see a return of the Harry Potter line, as that ad some good pieces and figs. I might buy it, I need to see more first.

See, the problem with this is that you should actually have to have a Lego counterpart for it...

This is great news for me and all of us. Hopefully they might start remaking the sets for the rest of the films. They could still make them for number 6 but they would be a little late. The trailer is good but i hope it is like the actul game of 5 not like number 4 as then we get to wonder round.(Yes I like to wander and I know number 5 is not included)

So producing a video game means that they still hold the license for HP, right? And I agree with others that we shouldn't expect any new sets coming out (like what happened to Batman video game and toys). So... it means TLC actually thinks that 1. potencial buyers/ users of the Lego toy and 2. potencial buyers/ users of the video game are 2 different targeting groups (or at least not overlapping too much). Interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I thought this was a no-brainer after Bats and Indy hit the scene.

Only Years 1-4 though?! Bad form!

Awesome! :cry_happy: I can hardly wait for this! The trailer is hilarious and baby Harry looks so cute! :laugh: And years 1-4 are my favorite years! This is gonna be so much fun! :thumbup:

As for the renewal of the License: Well, it would be wonderful of course, but look at what happened with Batman. Although the game was fairly popular, TLC didn't even bother to keep the sets that were being sold at the time in production and ended the line.

That one still baffles me. It doesn't make sense to sell a popular game which features your line of toys, and then make those toys unavailable. I don't understand that one at all. I wrote an article on my blog about this issue, as I was annoyed by that. My 5 year old has been playing the game, and love Lego Batman, but I can't find any sets anywhere for a realistic price, and I'm not paying $300 for the Batcave set.

My Blog post about Batman here

Teaser looks awesome, will wait to see gameplay before judging it.

I would love it to be free roaming around hogwarts like the EA games are, not the room per mission that batman/indy/star wars are.

My wife and I being huge Harry Potter fans are pretty much geeked when ANYTHING HP-related is released. So naturally...the announcement of an HP video game has us giggling like school-children. Based on what Travelers Tales has come up with so far...I imagine this will be a hit as well. I agree that a 'free roaming' environment would be great. It will will be interesting to see what they come up with. Will it be task based? There isn't a lot of fighting in the HP books so I have a hard time believing it will be much like the SW games. I would imagine something task based with a little bit of fighting is what we'll see.

On the subject of new HP sets, I spoke with a LEGO employee some time ago who indicated that LEGO had decided to move away from producing sets for two reasons. First, stores like Wal-Mart and Target claimed that 'Harry Potter mania is over' and they 'didn't want to stock new HP-related items'. Secondly, TLG felt that the later movies/books we a little too 'dark' to fit in with the LEGO mentality and be appropriate for the younger age bracket on the sets. However, the 'dark' perception may be changing (or at least I hope it is). Let's be honest...they made SW sets from Revenge of the Sith and the transformation of Anakin to Vader was pretty gruesome. So...am I hopeful that TLG will bring more sets out? Yes! Do I forsee it happening? I'd give it a 15% chance. Let's hope I'm wrong and we see new sets soon!

-Dave

Yeah! :thumbup::laugh:

I think I gonna like this game.

I don't count too much on it, but I hope there will be some new Harry Potter sets (and Battle packs).