Sign in to follow this  
Legoman

Collecting Dilemma

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Ok, well recently, I've been pondering, if there's really a point in my collecting lego. I've been collecting Star Wars Lego since it came out in 1999. I collect one of every set seen in the PT and OT. I have currently got 172 sets including mutiples. There are only 12 sets i don't have (5 of which aren't released yet).

And i'm wondering, whats the point? It's brought about by a couple of factors:

1) The CW subtheme.

Well personally, i really don't like the clone wars, or EU. To me its like Milking the SW cow. The original movies are great, so are the prequels, but CW just took it too far for me. So seeing as i no don't colect CW sets, i can no longer say I collect one of every SW lego set.

2) Stupid sets.

Recently, i've been looking and thinking about a few sets, and TBH, i really don't like them. A prime example would be the new Midi-scale MF. Seriously, what the heck? Whats the point, I know that they like to have the well know ships always availible in some way, shape or form, but this is just stupid. If it were up to me, i wouldn't buy it, but then i wouldn't be a colector would I? But the thing is, that because CW came out, it already makes me not a collector.

So i'm considering selling sets i don't want/don't have a need for. For example the original ships like the snow speeder, ABXY-wings, All the mini's, the Podrace bucket ect. Because some of the sets i have i simply don't want. And if i don't want them, why have them, just sitting in draws? Recently, I've found a new love for Mocing scenes, but incorperating lego's sets into them. A lot of the money i don't use on sily sets would help fund this new found fun.

Thoughts? Suggestions? What would you do?

If you have sets you want to sell, I say you should go for it, but sell them at reasonable prices and don't get yourself ripped off.

I would completely support the ideas of selling the sets, or using the parts to make MOCs.

If you have sets you want to sell, I say you should go for it, but sell them at reasonable prices and don't get yourself ripped off.

I would completely support the ideas of selling the sets, or using the parts to make MOCs.

Don't worry, I wouldn't get ripped off. I know what things are worth - I sell lego as my job :wink:

Well, no one is holding a gun to your head saying, "you better have every single Star Wars Lego set!" I think that it is up to you to decide which sets you want to buy. It seems you have the financial means to afford such a collection, but if there are sets you aren't particularly interested, or especially you don't like, you definitely should save your money for the ones that do. If you enjoy making scenes, you should sell the sets that are just taking up room and you don't want, and use the money. It doesn't make sense to keep them just for the sake of keeping them.

When it gets to the bare bones, Lego is what you make it. You can have one $5 set and have hours upon hours of fun with it. But then you can compulsively buy every set, which doesn't seem much fun to me if it becomes a stress. Thats part of what I love about having this hobby, of course I'm not going to buy every set, but I still appreciate and there is something new everyday.

I just started collecting in 2005, and there are plenty of sets that I don't have, and it doesn't bother me. I am pretty OCD about a lot of things, but having every SW Lego set isn't one of them. I have a respectably sized collection, but definitely have a lot of holes missing and I still am in love with the hobby. :wub:

Just my two cents. :classic: Hope whatever decision you make is the right one.

Well, no one is holding a gun to your head saying, "you better have every single Star Wars Lego set!" I think that it is up to you to decide which sets you want to buy. It seems you have the financial means to afford such a collection, but if there are sets you aren't particularly interested in, or especially you don't like, you definitely should save your money for the ones that do. If you enjoy making scenes, you should sell the sets that are just taking up room and you don't want, and use the money. It doesn't make sense to keep them just for the sake of keeping them.

When it gets to the bare bones, Lego is what you make it. You can have one $5 set and have hours upon hours of fun with it. But then you can compulsively buy every set, which doesn't seem much fun to me if it becomes a stress. Thats part of what I love about having this hobby, of course I'm not going to buy every set, but I still appreciate and there is something new everyday.

I just started collecting in 2005, and there are plenty of sets that I don't have, and it doesn't bother me. I am pretty OCD about a lot of things, but having every SW Lego set isn't one of them. I have a respectably sized collection, but definitely have a lot of holes missing and I still am in love with the hobby. :wub:

Just my two cents. :classic: Hope whatever decision you make is the right one.

Great Answer! Thanks.

Well, Yeah, that does make sence. I guess, to me, lego is a collector's item, but one that has a huge capability for fun. I Do really enjoy making scenes, and sets are great too. I think I'll keep my collection, at least for now, and see how things go. I've been talking to my family about this too, and will talk to friends when i catch up with them tomorrow.

At this stage i'll just keep collecting one of each, along with making scenes. It's not doing any harm. If i don't like the set, it can go away in a draw. I may want to use it some day for something...

Keep those reply's comin!

I think what you should do is maybe limit yourself if your really serious. And if you dont want your collection to become a life long obsession then maybe dont collect the clone wars stuff

It's really simple. If you see a set you don't want, don't buy it.

If it isn't worth it, don't be a collector. And it isn't worth it :tongue:

I completely agree with Darthperson.

Rather than having the mindset "if you see a set you don't want, don't get it," have the mindset "if you see a set you want, get it." That actually makes a difference, because it means that you are getting something that you really want. However, if you truly get something out of collecting everything, and you can afford it, then you should. Just don't feel compelled to buy everything or sad if you don't have a complete collection.

Really good topic and I need to say that I have the exact same dillemia :tongue:. Me like you start to lose interest in collecting EVERYTHING with the apperance of the CW sets :sadnew: . I like the series but for some reasons the sets just doesn´t interest me like the ones from the movies :hmpf_bad: . Also I am starting to think if collecting everything is really neccesary :sceptic: . And to finish the "likeness points" of your and my dillemia, I am also getting more interested in MOCing, I have never been a MOCer but looking at how many great contests are out there and at some really good MOCs of great MOCers like SirNadroj I am interested in start been a serious MOCer myself.

I also have another reasons to start just buying sets I like instead of every set out there. Since I get my PS3 I started to take the hobby of been a gamer seriously and start to invert a good part of my money in games :cry_happy: . With this new hobby just starting I can´t afford every LSW set so I need to start buying the ones I like.

So yes, I think your points are really valid and also agree with them :thumbup: .

Edited by darkrebellion

I think what you should do is maybe limit yourself if your really serious. And if you dont want your collection to become a life long obsession then maybe dont collect the clone wars stuff

I already don't collect the CW stuff :wink:

I completely agree with Darthperson.

Rather than having the mindset "if you see a set you don't want, don't get it," have the mindset "if you see a set you want, get it." That actually makes a difference, because it means that you are getting something that you really want. However, if you truly get something out of collecting everything, and you can afford it, then you should. Just don't feel compelled to buy everything or sad if you don't have a complete collection.

Yeah, well there is somthing kindof rewarding about having a complete collection. And i can afford it, but only just, and it does mean there's less money for MOCing and other sets from other themes i want.

I'd also like to sell many of my sets.......but there all tooken asprt

Ever heard of building up lego sets? :tongue:

Really good topic and I need to say that I have the exact same dillemia :tongue:. Me like you start to lose interest in collecting EVERYTHING with the apperance of the CW sets :sadnew: . I like the series but for some reasons the sets just doesn´t interest me like the ones from the movies :hmpf_bad: . Also I am starting to think if collecting everything is really neccesary :sceptic: . And to finish the "likeness points" of your and my dillemia, I am also getting more interested in MOCing, I have never been a MOCer but looking at how many great contests are out there and at some really good MOCs of great MOCers like SirNadroj I am interested in start been a serious MOCer myself.

I also have another reasons to start just buying sets I like instead of every set out there. Since I get my PS3 I started to take the hobby of been a gamer seriously and start to invert a good part of my money in games :cry_happy: . With this new hobby just starting I can´t afford every LSW set so I need to start buying the ones I like.

So yes, I think your points are really valid and also agree with them :thumbup: .

Nice to have someone on the same page. It's definately a question i need to think about...

Great topic Sam :classic:

I personally think you should keep collecting all the OT-PT sets until the Licsence ends in 2011 then sell off the sets you dont need-like.

If the licsence keeps on going then have a re-think :laugh:

I think if the licsence does end then it will just be for OT-PT and lego will just produce EU and CW and MAYBE if we are lucky afew re-makes of the OT-PT sets and sometimes in a blue moon bring out a new set :sweet:

hope this helps you make your decision :sweet:

CommanderFox

The Collector's Mentality is a strange thing. It's easy to reach a point where the desire to collect things becomes more like a JOB, like it's something you HAVE to do. At that point, it's not a fun hobby anymore.

I'm in a pretty similar position actually. I've been buying the Star Wars Lego sets since 1999, and I've got a whole mess of that stuff. In the past year or two, my interest has really been waning. Partly that's due to the Town theme improving dramatically and so I've been focusing on that instead. And partly it's been a complete lack of interest in the Clone Wars stuff. I slowly realized that IT'S OKAY TO NOT HAVE EVERYTHING! I know that seems stupid and obvious, but it was a real revelation, and it's been great. Instead of stressing about how I can afford all the Star Wars stuff coming out, I can cherry-pick out the sets that I really like, like the upcoming Hoth, Endor, and Home One sets.

I would encourage you to do the same -- just focus on the sets that really appeal to you, and ignore the rest. And remember: IT'S OKAY TO NOT HAVE EVERYTHING!! This is supposed to be a fun hobby, and the moment it stops being fun and instead becomes stressful is when you need to do a little soul-searching to figure out why not. :classic:

I'll echo some of the sentiments here, you don't need everything. I think it's a hard position for someone who has got everything up to now, since they're breaking a 10 year habit. But, once you get over that hump (the Twilight was the one I definitely didn't need to have) I think the hobby will get a lot more fun. You can even consider getting other series! But as long as you're a completest, unless you're an insane Lego fan, it's going to become less fun.

As for the old sets, I wouldn't sell them. They obviously made a big impact on you 10 years ago, and imagine 10 years from now, when you get the urge to rebuild the original one. Selling old toys you were quite attached to is a dangerous, and often regrettable decision. But, it's different for each person.

1) The CW subtheme. - To me its like Milking the SW cow.

Face it, Lucasfilm has been milking SW since the Special Editions. But don't let the CW line put you off - there's still some movie sets still left undone. You could narrow your focus instead of dumping your hobby.

2) Stupid sets. - A prime example would be the new Midi-scale MF.

Just because a set doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it stupid. The Midi-scale set(s?) were done for a reason and makes LEGO Star Wars more accessible. I don't know if you thought the same of the Mini line when it came out, but you bought them anyway.

Which brings us back to narrowing your focus - why not just buy the sets you want? You're still a LEGO collector, but not a LEGO completist.

So i'm considering selling sets i don't want/don't have a need for.

If you've got a 7191 UCS X-Wing, or the boxes for 7142 and 7152 to sell please PM me.

Ok, well recently, I've been pondering, if there's really a point in my collecting lego. I've been collecting Star Wars Lego since it came out in 1999. I collect one of every set seen in the PT and OT. I have currently got 172 sets including mutiples. There are only 12 sets i don't have (5 of which aren't released yet).

And i'm wondering, whats the point?

I went through the exact same dilemma. Some background on me, I have been enjoying Lego since I was a young child but by the time I received set 452 Mobile Tracking Station as a 6 yr old kid I was hooked for life. I've come to realize I have a collector's mindset, I enjoy the process of collecting in general. I've always loved the Star Wars franchise and sci-fi in general. When I saw that Lego was going to release a Star Wars line in 1999 I was giddy like a child. Over time I also thought I would collect at least one copy of each Star Wars set put out. Of course I quickly added caveats such as the fact that I was only interested in minifig scale sets, not ALL sets. I wasn't interested in the UCS sets or the bust of darth maul, yoda model, technic droids, etc. I do like the mini sets so I collected those as well.

Then I kind of hit a wall. I would buy other Lego themes if I liked the design of a particular set so I had boxes and boxes of sets taking up storage space. Back in the late 90s early 2000s in the states stores like Walmart & Target would have so much stock for christmas that if you waited until late Jan. early Feb. you could buy sets at 50-75% off by the dozen... and I did, mostly just for stock for other projects. But that added to a backlash I suffered were I would look at my collection and at times think it was rather dumb. I ended up selling a lot of stuff on ebay and bricklink as a result. I had a HUGE train collection and realized I'd probably never build the large town layout I always wanted so it all went. It got to the point that I decided to abandon my desire to have one of every minifig scale star wars set. It was a very hard choice to make as I didn't want to regret it later. I sold a lot of the PT sets and a number of extra copies of my OT sets. I changed my collection goal to wanting to have at least one copy of every star wars themed minifigure and I am happy with that. I would never want to buy a Twilight set and I picked up the figures from the Republic Cruiser set on bricklink because I didn't want the set but I "need" the figures. :tongue: Then there are sets like the Rogue Shadow that have figures I want but buying them separately isn't cost effective so I'll have to wait until stores clearance the set out. And the retooled sets like the MTT, Slave I, A/X/Y-wings which were so much better in design than the originals that it allowed me to sell off my originals to other collectors.

All in all I'm not sad that I made the change, I kept sets I liked, I buy new sets that interest me, and I have an outlet to continue to get figures from the sets that I would never want to buy. A lot of people change over time and it is important to update your activities/beliefs/habits when you realize you've changed and that your old ways don't work as well for you as they once did.

Your first post was exactly as if I wrote it myself.

This is the exact ideas I have had for some time now.

Even with the ´Bucket´ (but I never got it, but understod the feeling).

The one difference is that I do got the CW sets.

It was really when I decided that I don´t want to keep all my old grey pieces.

Then I thought about all the old SW sets that is really crappy compared to new and re-released sets.

Then for just a few weeks ago I totally decided to put all my old sets together, and I will sell them off.

I thought a lot about it and talked with family and friends, and they are supportive, even if many of

them don´t understand it all :laugh:

So I will stop buying sets that is not from OT and PT that I don´t like, or find useless.

Then there is those sets that is CW but also exists in the OT and PT that I´m for sure will buy.

Thanks for posting this Legoman, really nice to see that more then me thinks about the same.

This really is a great topic.

Thanks for putting this question on collecting up for discussion.

I collect, and there's not many sets that I need to have a complete Star Wars collection (5 or 6 sets at the most).

I have been thinking about this issue more than once over the past years, especially when the Clone Wars landed just when I was relieved to see no more EU sets :laugh: (no offense meant).

I think I've reached a point where I can't back down. I've collected almost anything for 10 years and stopping now would only render my collection incomplete.

I've bought so many not-really-good SW sets over the years that the extra expense needed to buy the lesser wanted sets in the future is quite low. - I doubt the license will continue for another 10 years - which is a different discussion.

Do as you see fit and handle your collection as you see fit.

Just remember that when you've decided to either sell or stop buying sets, then there's no way back.

Unless you're a really rich guy :laugh:

The Collector's Mentality is a strange thing.

It Sure is!

It's easy to reach a point where the desire to collect things becomes more like a JOB, like it's something you HAVE to do. At that point, it's not a fun hobby anymore.

Don’t worry, I fully understand that. But trust me, this is definitely still a hobby, I find it fun. It’s definitely not like a job to me. I really enjoy my lego.

I'm in a pretty similar position actually. I've been buying the Star Wars Lego sets since 1999, and I've got a whole mess of that stuff. In the past year or two, my interest has really been waning. Partly that's due to the Town theme improving dramatically and so I've been focusing on that instead. And partly it's been a complete lack of interest in the Clone Wars stuff. I slowly realized that IT'S OKAY TO NOT HAVE EVERYTHING! I know that seems stupid and obvious, but it was a real revelation, and it's been great. Instead of stressing about how I can afford all the Star Wars stuff coming out, I can cherry-pick out the sets that I really like, like the upcoming Hoth, Endor, and Home One sets.

I know it’s OK, but it’s become almost part of me, part of who I am and my personality. I love doing it, and it’s something I really enjoy, I’m just not sure if it’s worth having everything, at the cost of not as many spare pieces for MOCing, and buying other sets I’d like (Eiffel tower, Taj mahal) *drool*

As for the old sets, I wouldn't sell them. They obviously made a big impact on you 10 years ago, and imagine 10 years from now, when you get the urge to rebuild the original one. Selling old toys you were quite attached to is a dangerous, and often regrettable decision. But, it's different for each person.

Yeah, I also recently ‘clicked’ that I’d regret selling old sets, so I won’t sell ‘em.

Face it, Lucasfilm has been milking SW since the Special Editions. But don't let the CW line put you off - there's still some movie sets still left undone. You could narrow your focus instead of dumping your hobby.

Just because a set doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it stupid. The Midi-scale set(s?) were done for a reason and makes LEGO Star Wars more accessible. I don't know if you thought the same of the Mini line when it came out, but you bought them anyway.

Which brings us back to narrowing your focus - why not just buy the sets you want? You're still a LEGO collector, but not a LEGO completist.

If you've got a 7191 UCS X-Wing, or the boxes for 7142 and 7152 to sell please PM me.

Right, sorry, I didn’t mean to offend anyone that likes the new Midi MF.

To me, the minis were different. They were small because they were kind of their own thing. Something about them was just so cool at the time.

As for 7191, sorry, but that’s a jewel I’ll never sell. And I don’t have the other, I just got 7140 and 7150, the originals.

Back in the late 90s early 2000s in the states stores like Walmart & Target would have so much stock for christmas that if you waited until late Jan. early Feb. you could buy sets at 50-75% off by the dozen... and I did, mostly just for stock for other projects.

Lucky! The best deal I’ve ever seen on lego was 50% off Indy… And I alreadu brought heaps then! Anyway…

I've come to realize I have a collector's mindset, I enjoy the process of collecting in general.

That’ll be it. I think I do too!

Thanks for that.

Your first post was exactly as if I wrote it myself.

This is the exact ideas I have had for some time now.

Even with the ´Bucket´ (but I never got it, but understod the feeling).

The one difference is that I do got the CW sets.

It was really when I decided that I don´t want to keep all my old grey pieces.

Then I thought about all the old SW sets that is really crappy compared to new and re-released sets.

Then for just a few weeks ago I totally decided to put all my old sets together, and I will sell them off.

I thought a lot about it and talked with family and friends, and they are supportive, even if many of

them don´t understand it all :laugh:

So I will stop buying sets that is not from OT and PT that I don´t like, or find useless.

Then there is those sets that is CW but also exists in the OT and PT that I´m for sure will buy.

Thanks for posting this Legoman, really nice to see that more then me thinks about the same.

Great to have someone on a similar page!

I fully know what you mean, but I think, at this stage, I’ll just keep collecting everything except EU/CW, as that’s… me.

I collect, and there's not many sets that I need to have a complete Star Wars collection (5 or 6 sets at the most).

I have been thinking about this issue more than once over the past years, especially when the Clone Wars landed just when I was relieved to see no more EU sets :laugh: (no offense meant).

I think I've reached a point where I can't back down. I've collected almost anything for 10 years and stopping now would only render my collection incomplete.

I've bought so many not-really-good SW sets over the years that the extra expense needed to buy the lesser wanted sets in the future is quite low. - I doubt the license will continue for another 10 years - which is a different discussion.

Do as you see fit and handle your collection as you see fit.

Just remember that when you've decided to either sell or stop buying sets, then there's no way back.

Unless you're a really rich guy :laugh:

I also “think I've reached a point where I can't back down” Well, I mean, I could, but I don’t want to. And no, I’m not that rich, I can only just afford to keep my current collection going

I'm in a pretty similar position actually.
I went through the exact same dilemma.
Your first post was exactly as if I wrote it myself….

Thank guys, I'm glad to see others are on this boat with me

I garuntee that if you decide to sell your MASSIVE collection, you will most likely regret it someday. If I were you I would buy all the SW sets, and even the clone wars sets. Don't say I didn't warn you.

if i were you, i'd buy the millenium falcon because you are a collector. and for the CW sets, i'd leave them out because you haven't started collecting them yet. and BTW, which sets don't you have?

I garuntee that if you decide to sell your MASSIVE collection, you will most likely regret it someday. If I were you I would buy all the SW sets, and even the clone wars sets. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Wow, lets not go overboard here. I've noticed a few people are getting the wrong idea. I'm definately not stopping collecting. Not even thinking about it. :wink:

if i were you, i'd buy the millenium falcon because you are a collector. and for the CW sets, i'd leave them out because you haven't started collecting them yet. and BTW, which sets don't you have?

Yep, thats what i've desided to do :classic: . My set lists can be seen here:

Sets I own

Sets I Am yet to get

The reason i don't have them isn't really about how much money i have, it's more about waiting to find them at a fair price i'm happy with.

Feel free to add me as a friend, just let me know who you are via PM or something :classic:

Edited by legoman

I have had the same dillema last year.

What to buy and what not.

The real simple one was the CW sets. I don't like the cartoony minifigs so that was an instant no-go.

Then the PT and OT sets.

I started out buying everything I could my hands on. Untill a certain period in time where there simply were to many sets lefty I didn't have and other priorities prefaled.

So I made the decission to only buy OT sets I really like because I have to enjoy and control my hobby and not the other way around. It also saves on pressious shelf-space in my hobby room.

And it left me with time and money the get other interesting sets from other themes.

But that just my story, you have to make up your own mind. Good luck. :thumbup:

you have to make up your own mind. Good luck. :thumbup:

Well, I have. Back to full on collecting i go! :thumbup:

(Poor back account :cry_sad: )

Well, I have. Back to full on collecting i go! :thumbup:

(Poor back account :cry_sad: )

I think that you made the better decision legoman! theres no point of having a collection of 10 years of sets then just stop :tongue: