Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

Edelweiss

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I'm a fan of Anime... and a fan of role playing games, and a fan of tactical games so Valkyria Chronicles was a perfect game for me! (I've finished it twice.) So perfect that it inspired me to make Edelweiss, the main tank from the game. I'm normally not one to make MOCs rigidly based on other peoples work (fiction or non-fiction); the last I did was the Unimog road-rail vehicle.

vc-tank-edelweisss.jpg

Here's what I was trying to recreate (I have more reference pictures here)...

DSC02086es.JPG

...and this is what I ended up with! The funny thing about this MOC is I planned to make it mini-fig scale... but I failed to make that my priority while building. While building I set the scale based on the tracks... and that was my mistake. But more on that later! At first I was going to use the standard large technic cog as the drivers, but I decided to change it to the wheels as I felt that they looked closer. (This did ruin my plan of making the tank remote control as well.)

DSC02088es.JPG

The turret rotates 360 degrees and the barrel elevates and depresses.

DSC02089es.JPG

What's the deal with those grills? In the game all tanks have heat radiators there as a deliberate weak point. While moving they glow blue. I wanted to do that but I had substantially less trans-blue than I thought. Thus I went for the 'inactive' look!

DSC02091es.JPG

The tread skirts were a huge pain to design... and I was never 100% happy with them due to fragility issues. (The model is sturdy, but not fully kid-safe, which is generally my goal.)

DSC02093es.JPG

This photo shows (but not as well as I hoped) the depth of the turret. Most tanks have turrets like this so it was a goal of mine. You can also see the wacky inside of the turret top. It was hard to achieve the shape I wanted while allowing a entrance. In the end I was largely happy with this, and it ended up being stronger than I expected. It took several rebuilds though... (I have photos of the build process here.)

DSC02096es.JPG

Getting back to the scale issue, this is the scale I ended up with. Belville girls playing with a tank wasn't what I had in mind, but it's a case of liking or lumping it!

DSC02102es.JPG

Here's a comparison with my other 'tank'. It's substantially bigger, and seeing I knew from last time that the standard tread is too big for most mini-fig scale tanks I should have taken the hint from other tank builders and used the thinner chain link. So why didn't I? I don't have that much actually! To make this I had to scrap my Tie Crawler... So I'll have to Bricklink some chainlink and give building tanks another go later. Since I went for pre-history last time, history/present this time, perhaps I should go for future next!

DSC02101es.JPG

On the subject of dwarves, the tank has simple suspension so it goes over small objects without lifting the tank.

DSC02098es.JPG

However, while hunting larger prey such as oversized mutant mice...

DSC02100es.JPG

...there will be lifting which annoyingly can affect targeting.

This model is considered finished, but I'll probably be tweaking it from time to time. If you think I could do anything better feel free to post suggestions.

Build Process

Photo Reference

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

It's a good built. The attention to detail, i.e. the backpacks and tools stowed on the sides, are effective. I would've liked to see it all in dark blue, but dark blue is so hard to come by I can hardly blame you!

That's a very good resemblance of the picture you have build Siegfried, i like it! :thumbup:

The suspension, the ''interior'' and all the small external details make this a great model.

I do think the turret could be a little bigger to resemble the original even better. The height is good, but i think it could be 1 stud bigger on the sides and maybe 2 on the back.

It sounds like you haven't finished it yet, so good luck on achieving the result you want! :thumbup:

A very nice job Siegfried, it looks very cool, If you have a Flickr Account, I would like to see this creation on the group I created ^^

http://www.flickr.com/groups/legomanga/

Edit : Cool thanks^^

Edited by Guss

Now all we need is a Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott! :thumbup: Valkyria for the world! :tongue:

Seriously, though, it's a great MOC about a great game. :thumbup:

Brilliant demonstration of the tank's uses & drawbacks. :laugh: I always wondered if those Disney mice would come in handy and I can't think of a better use than hilarious carnage. This is an excellent tank. It's very accurate to the source material and I love the way you used the backpack pieces. I am wracking my brain trying to figure out how you made the wheely-dealies that turn the treads. Are they called wheels? Or tread movers? Or wheely dealies? I never know... Well, I love the way the technic wheel with the center axle hole and the six holes are space apart from each other. How did you do that? And do they actually turn? You have thought so far ahead for any problem this tank may run into. It would be very handy to find a Fabuland hammer, A Fabuland wrench, A Fabuland Axe, a pitchfork, baterangs or a ski pole in so many situations. I think everything is covered there! :laugh: I've said in the past that your creations look a little blockish, but this looks better. I'd still like to see some more snot and or curved slopes used. It'd be nice to see this in a dk bley or medium blue like the picture. But, this is still awesome in it's current form. (I think I might just becoming a studless snob... :sceptic:) I wish I had a blue tank to kill mutant mice. Bazooville is having quite the problem with them lately. Oh, that give me such an idea for BrickWorld...

It's a good built. The attention to detail, i.e. the backpacks and tools stowed on the sides, are effective. I would've liked to see it all in dark blue, but dark blue is so hard to come by I can hardly blame you!

Yeah? I saw it more as light blue than dark blue, but I thought the light blue was too light. Eitherway, I had a serious piece problem while making this; it took almost all my big blue plates, and all of my small ones. 1x1s in particular became quite rare; that's why I use round ones around the turret.

I do think the turret could be a little bigger to resemble the original even better. The height is good, but i think it could be 1 stud bigger on the sides and maybe 2 on the back.

Thanks for your opinion! :sweet: I saw it as the perfect size and I went through several designs before I went for this but I'll give it some more thought later. I sized the turret using this picture...

edtopeds.jpgDSC02091es.JPG

...which I took from a TV! :tongue:

It sounds like you haven't finished it yet, so good luck on achieving the result you want! :thumbup:

Well sort of. I can't change much at this stage as I'm out of pieces! :blush: I might make some minor changes from time to time, but that'll be long term. My next plan is to look into making a diorama...

Now all we need is a Welkin Gunther and Alicia Melchiott! :thumbup: Valkyria for the world! :tongue:

That was my plan, but the scale ruined it. I might still do it using Fabuland figs...

I always wondered if those Disney mice would come in handy and I can't think of a better use than hilarious carnage.

Thanks for giving it a look. :sweet: Several of my figs I wanted just to be mean to! Harry Potter suffers a lot too...

I am wracking my brain trying to figure out how you made the wheely-dealies that turn the treads.

They are generally known as drive sprockets and er... ahh.... it's a piece!

32020.jpg

I was going to build something but this looked so close already! (Yes, the tank does roll normally.)

I've said in the past that your creations look a little blockish, but this looks better. I'd still like to see some more snot and or curved slopes used.

Well this is a tank so it's hard to not make it look blockish... but unfortuantly for me I've never disliked blockish things. (For example I prefer the old Transformers over the new. :wink: ) Thus my MOCs will probably never be that popular... :cry_sad:

(I think I might just becoming a studless snob... :sceptic:)

Perhaps! :tongue: It's a common problem these days and I not really for it. I like my MOCs to have studs.

I wish I had a blue tank to kill mutant mice. Bazooville is having quite the problem with them lately.

All things considered they could be back soon... :sceptic:

Oh, that give me such an idea for BrickWorld...

As I said earlier, I'm considering making a diorama.

32020.jpg

I was going to build something but this looked so close already! (Yes, the tank does roll normally.)

No no. I mean this piece:

4185.jpg

Well this is a tank so it's hard to not make it look blockish... but unfortuantly for me I've never disliked blockish things. (For example I prefer the old Transformers over the new. :wink: ) Thus my MOCs will probably never be that popular... :cry_sad:

:hmpf: They're plenty popular because they're well built, but it's the only aspect of our personalities I see a difference in-the way we build. There might be another...I'm not sure. :tongue:

Perhaps! :tongue: It's a common problem these days and I not really for it. I like my MOCs to have studs.
Me for it. Me like not stud.

I look forward to your diorama and I hope it matches the sickness of what will be lurking in the alleys of my BrickWorld display.

*bricklinks more Disney figures...*

No no. I mean this piece:

4185.jpg

That? Oh that's even less impressive. Does this help?

DSC02101es2.JPG

4 of those wheels, two 2-axels and a 3 long pin. The only trick is that I've blocked the other side so it locks in the middle on both sides.

Me for it. Me like not stud.

:tongue: I've noticed. It's interesting as TLG claims that they love to show studs yet they release a model like the Emerald Night... :wacko:

I look forward to your diorama and I hope it matches the sickness of what will be lurking in the alleys of my BrickWorld display.

*bricklinks more Disney figures...*

I'll see what I can do...

Nice work! The Edelweiss is a great vehicle from a great game. I agree that now we need Welkin and Alicia minifgs. :classic: The way you did the tank tread guides is great. Color scheme is decent, but would be awesome with a combination of Sand Blue and Light Blue (I know...really expensive to procure all of those parts). Anyway, great work. Glad to see someone working on some Valkyria Chronicles stuff.

-Dave

DSC02100es.JPG

Now, Now, is that a way to treat an upcoming license? :tongue:

Nice MOC, though. Looks very much like the reference images. :thumbup:

Huh. Nice job, but I thought by this...Edelweiss...that it was going to have to do with the Sound of Music. :laugh: