Sign in to follow this  
Front

"Review": 8984 Stronius

indexed.gif

Here's a look at the 2009 summer set Stronius, 8984, a member of the Glatorian Legends, one out of six sets.

3580166456_08444f04c9_o.jpg

Stronius is black and dark red.

Name: Stronius

Set number: 8984

Pieces: 55

Price: 12,99 US$

Released: June 2009

Here is my favorite of the 2009 summer canister sets, the black and spiky Stronius. I like the looks of Krika and other characters with strong mean looks, but add the black spark-eroded plastic of Stronius' mask and armor, and we are getting close to perfect.

Here is the box and a movie add from the instructions. Sorry that I have too much glare in the next two pictures, but hey, it's just paper and a plastic box.

3579354253_657b41d4b3_o.jpg

The back with the six characters, and the 2009 Bionicle summer line up.

3579354445_fef163aecc_o.jpg

The piece count is 55, but a lot of these are small connectors. The legs and arms ball-cup beams are rather short, which results in Stronius not being tall. But this actually goes well with his "fatty" look, that he gets from the wide arms and legs, the two shoulder armors, and the torso armor. The build is ver traditional Bionicle, hardly anything new in this set compared to Skrall and other more experimenting builds.

New pieces are the three large black armor plates, the mask, and the two identical spiky club pieces, that connect together to form his large club. I am not sure if any of the leg pieces are in a new colour. Maybe the feet have not been seen in black before ?

3580165408_caaca042c1_o.jpg

Stronius is well balanced, his low height means that he carries his club without falling over too easy. I tried shooting him down with multiple spike balls, but he still stands tall, well not tall really :classic:

3579354639_157c701b4a_o.jpg

I had no problems balancing him in this running posture, but his club is heavy in the far end. Kind of how clubs are supposed to be balanced, are they to knock down the enemy once and for good.

3579354795_ba0e78accd_o.jpg

Here is his back, with the counter:

3580166246_5f787577ce_o.jpg

Conclusion:

I am not gonna rate it, but a fellow part designer at work told me last week, that he thinks it's the coolest Bionicle set Lego ever made. After he admitted that he was the one that engineered the mask, I said: Well your view doesn't count then :classic:

In my view it's second only to Tuma, a set which I've built but haven't got yet.

I'm a bit sad to say that the guy that designed this set, left Lego to work in the states again. Fare well.

Front

In terms of leg pieces, the only new ones are the black mace halves... and the dark red double sockets.

He looks quite cool. It evades all logic why his body is grey, though.

~Bunda

Gotta give props to LEGO for making the club black instead of silver. And, although the bley torso does puzzle me a bit, it's not nearly as glaring as some of the flaws seen in the other summer sets. Looks to be one of the better sets this year-- falling a little below Strakk.

Thanks for the review.

In terms of leg pieces, the only new ones are the black mace halves... and the dark red double sockets.

He looks quite cool. It evades all logic why his body is grey, though.

~Bunda

Thank you for the information on new colours on "old" pieces.

I actually only stumbled over the grey torso, after I took the set apart for photographing.

I think a dark red torso would have been great.

Edited by Front

Thanks for the review, Front. :thumbup:

Man, I was a bit worried about Stronius when some of the toy fair pictures showed up, so I'm glad to see that he's turned out all right. He really is a Skrall on steroids - complete with bulked up armor, a bigger, meaner looking mask, and the first club in bionicle history. Got to give props on the dark red and the new armor pieces too - that also makes this set a worthy buy for people who just purchase Bionicle sets for parts. The only thing I don't like is that the chest armor doesn't look as good as it does as a chest - but that's a minor complaint really, and I think I see how to fix it. :classic:

Great job TLC - I'll be getting this one for sure. :thumbup:

Yay, he's as great as I thought.

Probably the best summer set.

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

Thank you for the information on new colours on "old" pieces.

I actually only stumbled over the grey torso, after I took the set apart for photographing.

I think a dark red torso would have been great.

Yeah, I was thinking black would work, but adding more red would be better.

I can't decide between him, Ackar, and Mata Nui...

~Bunda

I am not gonna rate it, but a fellow part designer at work told me last week, that he thinks it's the coolest Bionicle set Lego ever made. After he admitted that he was the one that engineered the mask, I said: Well your view doesn't count then :classic:

i agree

He engineered the mask. JUST THE MASK. :thumbdown:

I have no idea why it's a thumbs down.

There were three parts that needed to be engineered for this set, and it was done by three different people.

I have no idea why it's a thumbs down.

There were three parts that needed to be engineered for this set, and it was done by three different people.

I LOVE the mask. The armour is excellent, too. all in all, these parts would make a great addition to, say, a really spiky rock titan... Also, do you know when we might start seeing that unknown set online or in stores?

This review makes him look great, I fully approve of the design.

But I have to tell you, whoever designed that back line up on the canister deserves a gold star. That looks just excellent. You guys are gonna move some toys with the kind of stuff you are putting out lately with your graphic designs, please keep up the good work.

Edited by InnerRayg

Thanks very much for this review Front, I appreciate you using your access to sets to give us an exclusive view of what's to come later this year.

I love the back of the canister, and give my :thumbup: to your colleague who designed Stronius' mask, it's very nice. :classic:

But I have to tell you, whoever designed that back line up on the canister deserves a gold star. That looks just excellent. You guys are gonna move some toys with the kind of stuff you are putting out lately with your graphic designs, please keep up the good work.

It does look really awesome, but the fronts of the Legends' canisters aren't as awesome as the original Glatorian's.

Thank you for commenting.

I should note that I realise that on the photos shown, the chest plate is placed one module too high, and that the light grey technic-hole tubes are actually missing. The cross axles should pass out through the upper two cross holes in the cheast plate (not the lower two as I've used), and there should be tubes behind the plate.

Not that it matters much.

Thank you for commenting.

I should note that I realise that on the photos shown, the chest plate is placed one module too high, and that the light grey technic-hole tubes are actually missing. The cross axles should pass out through the upper two cross holes in the cheast plate (not the lower two as I've used), and there should be tubes behind the plate.

Not that it matters much.

The complex TECHNIC and BIONICLE designer can't build a set right? :tongue:

You're right that it doesn't matter, because who needs to follow the instructions anyway? :laugh:

I'm not sure Front was the one who built it, since he only noticed the grey torso when he took it apart.

Off course I've built it, but it is a month ago, and I put Stronius back in the can afterwards.

After taking him out again, I put him back together (adding arms, legs etc.) and don't really know where I've put those light grey technic extenders (they are listed 3rd in the instructions part list). When you pull of the torso shield, these two extenders are not connected to anything, and may have dropped to the floor.

Off course I've built it, but it is a month ago, and I put Stronius back in the can afterwards.

After taking him out again, I put him back together (adding arms, legs etc.) and don't really know where I've put those light grey technic extenders (they are listed 3rd in the instructions part list). When you pull of the torso shield, these two extenders are not connected to anything, and may have dropped to the floor.

Whoops, it was supposed to be this- :cry_happy: Guess my pad hates me. Anyways, can you review the Great Spirit next?