Tarfful

Car Talk

I replaced another muffler in my car and it got me thinking of all the mufflers that came in and out of my life. :laugh:

Car repair expenses are eating at my LEGO fund. :sad:

Not a huge fan of flashy speedy cars so my choice would be the Land Rover Defender! It's not economically viable nor is it in any way suited to where I live but it has a personal connection to me. My family used to own one and I have fond memories of road trips.

This one looks particularly snazzy.

land-rover-defender-90-black-pack.2000x1333.Feb-20-2014_07.49.22.560178.jpg

Man, I don't know how I've missed this thread. My two favorite hobbies collide!

I'm lucky enough to already have my dream car. 1966 Mustang Fastback. It's an original V8 car with a 5.0 and T-5 manual transmission out of a 1991 Mustang. It took me years to build it, and as of March, I've owned it 20 years.

image_zpsnenpmoud.jpeg

image_zpsvlz75z67.jpeg

Here's my daily driver. It's a 2005 Mustang with an Edelbrock supercharger. 442 horsepower to the rear wheels.

image_zpscedgbewn.jpeg

image_zpsktzstioj.jpeg

And here they are snuggled together in the garage.

image_zpsas54aszt.jpeg

Ragnos - Love Defenders!! My family used to own a Defender 110 and I remember trips in that and sitting on the roof! Would love my own one day but even though they are huge they don't seem to be the most spacious cars and my knees end up around my ears :laugh: . Who would have thought it... struggle to get comfy in a Land Rover Defender but I've got buckets of room in a Volkswagen Polo.

SirBlake - Damn, that Fastback! :wub: Congrats on already owning your dream car.

Currently own a Mercedes A class that I had from new in 2013 but I'm honestly shocked at the amount of things that have gone wrong! Must have been built on a Friday once everyone came back from afternoon drinks. That's on it's way out soon though and have a new VW Polo GTI on it's way. Would have loved an Audi S3 or something but I needed to save a bit more every month instead of spend a bit more so I can get myself on the property ladder.. and Lego doesn't help that :laugh: .

Anyway - there she blows after a good clean up! May have had more issues than I can count but won't knock it for a first car :grin:

26193157112_efc799e8ed_z.jpg

Edited by Captain Britain

I replaced another muffler in my car and it got me thinking of all the mufflers that came in and out of my life. :laugh:

*snip*

Car repair expenses are eating at my LEGO fund. :sad:

you thin you've got car repairs eating your fund.. Timing belt just went (40k miles) I havn't torn down the heads yet but probably lost all the valves. could buy 10 mufflers for the same amount :/

I've been keeping this car alive for the last 9 years....

IMG_5855.jpg

Not so easy seeing as it's the last Irish VW 412 left on the road

But I've also had this one causing me trouble for the last 21 years

IMG_6371.jpg

but that one is much easier to keep alive.

there are a few others knocking around but none are driving anymore :cry_sad:

you thin you've got car repairs eating your fund.. Timing belt just went (40k miles) I havn't torn down the heads yet but probably lost all the valves. could buy 10 mufflers for the same amount :/

Ouch. That's pretty early for a timing belt failure. Do you have an interference type engine?

Not so easy seeing as it's the last Irish VW 412 left on the road

Nice. I don't think I've seen a 412 before.

Ouch. That's pretty early for a timing belt failure. Do you have an interference type engine?

Yup interference, nice little Subaru Boxer motor too, so heads are tucked away nice and low. (I should note car is at 140k miles belt only had 40k. so no powertrain warranty left)

Yup interference, nice little Subaru Boxer motor too, so heads are tucked away nice and low. (I should note car is at 140k miles belt only had 40k. so no powertrain warranty left)

I think a compression test could be used to check for valve damage without taking the heads off. It sounds like it is a lot of work to get the heads off on the Subie. Good luck.

I have sold my muffler eating Honda.  All I have left are VWs.  Since I only have VWs, I thought it would be worthwhile to invest in a VW specific diag tool.  I have a generic OBDII reader but it doesn't read manufacturer specific codes like ABS, etc. I found a less expensive alternative to the VAG-COM scan tool called OBDEleven.  It is a small dongle that plugs into the OBDII port and communicates via bluetooth with your Android device like phone or tablet.  It will read VW and Audi specific codes from various modules. You can also program features in the car if you know which byte/bit and location to change or you can buy little apps for OBDEleven that do the hard work for you.  It is a pretty powerful diagnostic tool for $60USD.  Given how much a dealer charge for reading a code, it'll pay for itself with one or two uses.

eleven_zpsdghxswgg.jpg

abs_zpspd1q1pjr.jpg

abs_zpsijrzn3de.jpg

Just getting into car culture with my first enthusiast car a 9th gen Honda Civic Si. Still learning how to drive it properly as I have never driven a stick shift before. On another note this presents the dilemma of where the money should go-- Legos or car parts?

1 hour ago, Rishab N said:

Just getting into car culture with my first enthusiast car a 9th gen Honda Civic Si. Still learning how to drive it properly as I have never driven a stick shift before. On another note this presents the dilemma of where the money should go-- Legos or car parts?

Congrats.  Stick is a lot of fun.  Honda has good manual.  LEGO or car parts.  You can try to win LEGO in contests like the Pneumatic Contest.  :wink:

My '95 Grand Prix battled through another rough year.  It started well with two meets, one of them huge.  Then fizzled out on the way back home when it started doing all sorts of terrible stuff.

After a prolonged time at my mechanics' I had a friend flash an ECM for me and I was back on the road.  Poor little beast barely got any road time in before the snow started to fall.  Now she's keeping warm in the garage awaiting warmer weather.

That bimmer is awesome!

its been a while and I have fresh pics with new wheels... A nice camera and even nicer lens makes all the difference.

34932320195_10eb01c456_c.jpg

34089154894_7c621443bf_c.jpg

34932304025_1b07ab8918_c.jpg

34932322395_5d40c56738_c.jpg

34768646952_5e743452c2_b.jpg

34932328375_b3623afb81_c.jpg

34089151164_5cce191079_b.jpg

34932633345_f637d3264d_b.jpg

Very nice.  It has a diecast model feel and look to it.

Well I saw the first post and my car would be a 1966 Ford GT 40.

th?id=OIP.2-ve8qrOif8_9KFG_OSNmwEsDh&pid=15.1

Edited by LEGORACER1

On 5/29/2017 at 11:01 PM, dr_spock said:

Very nice.  It has a diecast model feel and look to it.

It really does! I honestly thought it was a model at first glance. Lovely car @SirBlake, and I love that single malt bottle :blush:.

1 hour ago, Captain Britain said:

It really does! I honestly thought it was a model at first glance. Lovely car @SirBlake, and I love that single malt bottle :blush:.

It was fun to empty, that's for sure.

So far (knock on wood) it's been a very, very good year for my car.

I've taken it on 5 - 300+ km trips already and amassed close to 7000km total this year.

I also went to a big car meet, and displayed my near matching Lego car with my on car there.  Should have pics up on my site soon, to show.

Has anybody got a Lego number plate like Lego had on the Caterham in the press shots?
I tried to get LE60 CAr but it was already taken :blush:

g2gsyON4.jpg

2TVVZ3ko.jpg

Edited by Final Exit