lego fox

Alternate materials

I apaligize in advanc if I rub eney one the rong way with this but its been eating at me for a long time. Im a twenty one year old special ed student and I've never been much of a conformust, but I do try to take into considerartion others opinyens. I've been a member hear for about a year now and I've seen meny amazing creations. However, I have noticed that ,at leest wene it coms to ship MOC's, that thay are all ether Brik biult halls or preefab LEGO hall sectons. Bolth tekneeks I have also used over the years, but my qestion is are lessel made out of other materials such as wood or metal acseptabel as long as thay are LEGO based and compatabel? I've been werking on a ship made out of wood for a long time, and would love to post some imiges if deemed acseptabel.

Wood sounds great! I think the issue is just that it is something that not many people have considered, hence, they haven't put the idea into practice.

But I would love to see your photos, I think it could well be very interesting to see such a different way of constructing ships!

If you have time, please do take a couple of photos and post them, I would appreciate it. :pir-wink:

I agree with Zuloo 100%. I would love to see your pics. As long as it has Lego (well this is a Lego forum,:pir_laugh2:) I'm sure you won't get bashed.

Captain Cavinano has been using bamboo, wire and paper in his MOCs for quite some time, to make the sails - check out his tutorial here. Custom sails and string are a pretty common thing on ship MOCs, although other elements in other materials are rarer; I'd like to see some!

I agree with all the above, for so far I know other materials then LEGO are only used for custom torso's, ropes, sails and flags. I'd love to see your pictures, it sounds like a great idea. I'm curious how you are going to connect it with LEGO. :pir-blush:

Well Im releved that I so far I had nothing to be consernd about. I haft to admit that shes not finished yet, I still haft to add running lines, pulleys, yardarms, foot ropes, and sails, and thats not menshening that I started this project with the intenshen to make it an R/C model sail bout posibly with Co2 powerd cannen. I dident relize that finding a transmiter recever combow with 32 or more channals that are forwerd stop and revers would be so dificalt. But other then that she looks grate. So should I whate to post picters unill I'm done wich could take a nother year or two, or should I post some now and the finished product when I get to that point?

Edited by lego fox

a quite strange technique, so the hull is made with woods, but the decks are in lego? nice idea ^^ good job man!

I agree with Hornbricker, not my thing, i prefer to use strictly lego. But its a very creative idea and you have done a realy great job. Nice to see something different :pir-classic:

that is the biggest material-combined minifig ship i have ever seen i love the way it looks :pir-wub: .. is it a clipper? :pir-hmpf: the thin hull and tall, rigged masts make it look as one :imperialguard_commander1:

To be compleetley onist I don't Know. When I started, I was baseing every thing off of a Ken'x frame that I'ed been plaing with for years, a balsa wood keel that I had left over from an airship that I built off of a movie, and a restront in the naberhood called the Charthouse that has a entrens that looks like a ship that I unknowingley bassed alot of the layout on. It's fun what ones subconchens can do for a person when looking back. And I forgot to menchen that she is sixty-five inches long, six and three-quarters inches wide, and stands about three feet tall. to put that into a bit of perspective. The Brickbeards Bounty fits cofertable between the for and mizzen mast, and from keel to the top of the mast she sitts just below the lowwer cross trees ( the lower crows nest).

Edited by lego fox