Sign in to follow this  
Brickthing

3D Toa Mata Nui

toamatanui2.jpg

V2

V2 Back Detail

Original V1

Please post comments and suggestions so that I can improve the model. I'm going for a semi-realistic/cartoon style, so I'm not trying to make it match the set perfectly, just appropriate proportions and detail mainly. :classic:

Edited by 3D Brickthing

Lol, this is quite cool, I just showed it to a bionicle designer, and we had a laugh.

The design you really nailed quite well is that of the weapon.

You did not manage to get the shape of the mask right though.

Front

Lol, this is quite cool, I just showed it to a bionicle designer, and we had a laugh.

The design you really nailed quite well is that of the weapon.

You did not manage to get the shape of the mask right though.

Front

I modelled the mask using an official side-on graphic of the 2008 Ignika, and the front using another 2008 graphic. I presume the 2009 Ignika is more rounded isn't it?

As for the weapon, there was a very good front view of it in the Desert of Danger picture novel, so that made it much easier to make. :laugh:

I modelled the mask using an official side-on graphic of the 2008 Ignika, and the front using another 2008 graphic. I presume the 2009 Ignika is more rounded isn't it?

As for the weapon, there was a very good front view of it in the Desert of Danger picture novel, so that made it much easier to make. :laugh:

yep, it's a new mask design, smaller, more sleek and rounded at the back. But we will see close up pictures really soon. In your rendered picture, his forehead looks a bit to low, and the eyes are not as wide and slim as in the real set.

I wonder what kind of software you use ? Unfortunately I'm not able to share the true 3D files with you :-)

Front

btw. I think you are using the wrong black arms.

...and, when I said we had a laugh, it was not because we thought your model looked silly, it was more because it was amazing to see someone having a go at modeling the new set. The Designer actually asked me where "you" had that model from, until he had a closer look and realised that it was not the "real" thing.

Edited by Front

I've been using 3DS Max 9.

Pity about those files, because they'd make my day ten times over. :cry_happy:

With the arms, I was just being lazy and I reused them from my previous Gresh model, as well as all the character models in my BZP ST5 Entry. :laugh:

Well this looks fantastic. In fact, this wouldn't be bad as Mata Nui's Glatorian Arena model. You have skills.

These are really nice renderings :thumbup:

Though I'd like it if you were to resize the pics to a somewhat smaller size :classic:

800x600 is more than enough and if you want to share better images, you can always link to a folder with high resolution pictures.

If you have any doubts on how to resize and stuff like that, just follow the link in my signature below.

Again great work :thumbup: