Sign in to follow this  
Tung T. Le

Review: Lego Architecture 21004 | Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Still awaiting for the release of Fallingwater (Which is in July).

But in the meantime! I got to pick up 2 sets from Adam Tucker, one for safekeeping, and the other to open up and display.

IMG_1467.jpg

Front & Rear pictures of the box (Signed)

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

208 Pieces into four bags.

IMG_1471.jpg

Instructions is a little thicker than the previous instructions from the other Architecture sets.

Unfortunately, mine came with a small little tear at the bottom on the cover page.

IMG_1472.jpg

The build didn't take long, there were some piece placements that I wouldn't have thought of, but nothing very special.

No new parts except for the re-introduction of the 3x3 Rounded Corner Plate in white. The only other set that this specific

color piece was included in was the UCS Star Wars Rebel Blockade Runner.

So if you're the type of collector who can't justify paying $40 for this set, and want to buy piece by piece, you're probably

going to run into some expensive obstacles. The last time I saw on bricklink, someone had the piece listed at $2.49 (and

the set requires 5 of them) But obviously, this set is for the collector and architect lover.

I have no problem paying for these low count pieces for extra cash, I love the series, I'll continue buying all of them, and

the box art is just so sleek.

One problem I had with the build was the tan building consisting of 1x2 bricks and 1x10/1x8 tan plates.

I expected it to use 2x10 and 2x8 tan plates to make up the building, but instead two 1x10 tan plates parallel

to each other were used to make up one plank. The problem with that, no matter how many times I re-aligned

the bricks, it would eventually set crooked, so I may order 2x wide tan plates to replace them later on.

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

And of course with the other 4 sets.

IMG_1477.jpg

If you're wondering about the black tiles with the printed building names on them, I store those away in clean zip loc type poly bags. Just like to keep those clean and new.

The Build 8/10 - Could have been a little bit more detailed

The Pieces 7/10 - No new pieces, just a lot of 1x2 tan bricks, and the 3x3 Rounded Corner Plates in white.

The Value - 7/10 - Obviously a collector's set, $39.99 is a little steep, but thats how the entire Architecture series will be.

Overall - I'd say a solid 7.0

Now I can't just wait for the next set, I'm afraid the 21005 Fallingwater Set will be very pricey. The piece count is at 801pcs, but mainly a bunch of narrow plates, but we'll see.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Thanks for the review!

I paid a lot less for this set (€4,79) to be exact and I am still waiting for it to arrive. My friend works for the Lego company and was able to obtain it cheap... :tongue:

I thought it would be grey though, judging from the packaging. But white is even better!

Thanks for the review!

I paid a lot less for this set (€4,79) to be exact and I am still waiting for it to arrive. My friend works for the Lego company and was able to obtain it cheap... :tongue:

I thought it would be grey though, judging from the packaging. But white is even better!

€4,79! woah, that is good for any set. i thought the tan part was going to be gold

Thanks for the review. I never see reviews of Acrhitecture sets on EuroBricks. :tongue:

This set has white instead of grey? That's really misleading. :wacko:

I won't be getting this set (or any other Architecture sets, since they cost so much), but I do like the box art and the booklets included inside each set.

I can't wait to see a review of Fallingwater! :sweet:

The most sad thing in this review is that Fallingwater (a wonderfull set) piece count is 801. It will cost fortune :sceptic:

Thakns for review anyway :classic:

Architecture line is getting better and better, I just hope it will be affordable.

Thanks for nice review :)

Sorry, but how cool looking those sets may ever be, they are WAY too overpriced. Even if buying the parts via BL I guess you will only have to pay half the original price. If at least!

Where do you guys buy these sets?

I can't find them on www.lego.nl or in my local stores (here in The Netherlands). :hmpf_bad:

That said, 40 Dollars... Hmmm, I'll wait a few months more untill 40 Dollars equals 2 Euros. :tongue:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

Hmmm, I'll wait a few months more untill 40 Dollars equals 2 Euros. :tongue:

The Google is telling me that 1 U.S. dollar = 0.721656924 Euros. If that is true that means the Euro lost 60 cents on the dollar within the last 6-8 months.

So....

:tongue:

The Google is telling me that 1 U.S. dollar = 0.721656924 Euros. If that is true that means the Euro lost 60 cents on the dollar within the last 6-8 months.

So....

:tongue:

Well that equals: 1 Euro gives me 1.39 Dollars.

Im just waiting untill the demand for dollars starts to slip and QE kicks in, so that 1 Euro gives me 20 Dollars. :tongue:

Dont know what 60 cents Youre talking about though? :wink:

Kind regards,

Teddy

euro-vs-dollar.jpg

Bad comic Teddy, bad comic...naw, I can take a joke! :classic:

The first 5 sets are available here in the US, not sure how readily available they are in other countries though.

And Falling Water should be around $90, USD.

Bad comic Teddy, bad comic...naw, I can take a joke! :classic:

The first 5 sets are available here in the US, not sure how readily available they are in other countries though.

And Falling Water should be around $90, USD.

I've checked my normal recourses, but I can only find a few architecture sets available at BL.

But this set isn't one of them yet.

90 Dollars seems quite steep for 21005.

I'm not sure what that will eventually retail for in Euros, since VAT is always included in the European retail prices.

But an educated guess would be 99,99 Euros, so somewhere between 90 and a 100 Euros.

So I guess I'll have to convince someone in Texas to send it as a gift.

And I'll send 90 Dollars worth of Dutch cheese as a gift in return ofcourse.

Off topic venting of taxing anger:

To prevent costums to add the postage and insurence to the original price and another 6% on that and than another 19% over that total again.

Yes, tax on tax. Which normally amounts to around +33% compared to the original price in taxes alone. :sceptic:

Once last year when 1 Dollar equalled 0.62 Euros, they even counted 1 Dollar equals 1 Euro for the taxes.

Unfortunatley for me my American friend put the Dollar price on the box.

The taxes are couted in Euros, so they changed the Dollar price to a Euro price with the one on one ratio.

Thus, artificially inflating the amount to be taxed with a whopping 60%.

So in the end they did: (dollar price + postage(dollar)+ insurence(dollar))*1.6*1.06*0.19= total tax. :wacko:

So eventually, I ended up paying an insane amount of taxes for my ordered Lego...

government taxing maffia...:hmpf:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy