Sign in to follow this  
legofan

Hi Train Fans!

traintech1.jpg

Hello brothers! Well, i'm just into trains and saw alot of your collections which really left me more than amazed... I'll never match those!!

Anyway, i need some help being the ignorant new train-nee i am.. I just got the RC passenger train 7897 (by the way, i voted for fancy in Brickster's Poll, hehe) and the batteries are killing me... :cry_sad:

So, i'm trying (very very hard) to get a nice 9v metroliner set 4558/ 10001, which also happens to be the most sought after 9v train set i think (apart from the Santa Fe)... :cry_sad:

As such, i would like to ask, what is the nipple of the train motor? I'm in the course of getting one, but with broken nipples on the 9v motor. So does the nipples affect the motor or the overall movement of the train? Can the train run with a broken nipple train? What are the downsides to the broken nipples?

Thanks in advance for answering a newbie train-nee question for me~~ Thanks & Cheers ~~ :tongue:

Hello brothers! Well, i'm just into trains and saw alot of your collections which really left me more than amazed... I'll never match those!!

Anyway, i need some help being the ignorant new train-nee i am.. I just got the RC passenger train 7897 (by the way, i voted for fancy in Brickster's Poll, hehe) and the batteries are killing me... :cry_sad:

So, i'm trying (very very hard) to get a nice 9v metroliner set 4558/ 10001, which also happens to be the most sought after 9v train set i think (apart from the Santa Fe)... :cry_sad:

As such, i would like to ask, what is the nipple of the train motor? I'm in the course of getting one, but with broken nipples on the 9v motor. So does the nipples affect the motor or the overall movement of the train? Can the train run with a broken nipple train? What are the downsides to the broken nipples?

Thanks in advance for answering a newbie train-nee question for me~~ Thanks & Cheers ~~ :tongue:

If by nipple you mean the pin on the top of the motor that this could be a big problem. On longer engines the motor has to move freely left and right to follow the curves. If this pin is broken than you will have to find some ohter way to achieve this, but this will also make the motor too high. It

If it is the pin that you're refering to, then it would practically make the motor useless as a bogie (the pin allows the motor to rotate, which is necessary when used as a bogie), without using extra parts. You can however still build either a short locomotive, like 4563's, or a long locomotive with the motor attached directly to the middle of the chassis with swivelling axles at both ends, to create "bogies".

But if you're intention was to use it to replace the RC-motor in the passenger train, then you'll going to need the pin. Without, well, then the motor isn't even attached, which will cause some interesting movement, to say the least.

I'm not sure what you mean.

-Do you mean the pin on top of it?

-Or the four little things at the front and the back?

basic_block.jpg

In the first case, it's almost useless for your intentions to use it, like mentioned before. In the second case, you can still use the motor, the only downside is if you want to buld something at the front or the back of the motor, it will be less sturdy, and may need another connection on top of the motor, for example in this case.

Edited by Richie

If you mean the four supports at the front and back of the train, I can reassure you that it will work fine. I have one or two 9volt motors with this problem, yet they run and work just fine. Just as Richie said, unless you are balancing things off the end of the motor, the motor will work just fine. If you do need to do this you will have to use extra bracing.

WOW!

Thanks a million for all the valuable train info! Helped me ALOT! So... now i must check with the guy which 'nipple' he was refering to... Very interesting...~

Haiz, i'm still caught in between very expensive batteries OR very expensive 9v tracks and train sets.... :cry_sad:

Guess my move now is to wait for the PF functions prices to drop, since the tracks are cheaper and more readily available.. Luckily the 9v tracks can be used with the RC trains so still not so bad... ~~ What do u think guys?

Thanks brothers for all the valuable info! Well, i have confirmed, the nipples he was referring to was the four little studs highlighted in the picture Richie posted. So, i'll be getting the metroliner complete with speed regulator REAL soon!! Very happy!! INHO, it's one of the best train sets ever!!

By the way, i'll post a small, poor resolution picture of my mirco-small train layout right now:

Image000.jpg

With the absoluate shortage of straight tracks (i only got the four that came with the RC 7897 passenger train set), my train is wobbling around curves... I have a very short video of the train in action, but not sure how to upload it here...

Cheers! And thanks again!! :thumbup: