Sign in to follow this  
The Middleman

PHOTO REVIEW: 7903 Rescue Helicopter

index2.jpg

RESCUE HELICOPTER

101_0189.jpg

Rescue Helicopter - despite its small size for its price - soundly breaks the price-to-piece ratio with 245 pieces at an edgy price point of $20.

The Figs

101_0190.jpg

I, too, am at a loss as to why a construction worker is out at sea. They even show him in the water on the back of the box. Why? This is, perhaps, one of the greater mysteries of our time.

101_0191.jpg

The face! It buuuurns. It buuuurns! In all seriousness, great fig. I love the jumpsuit.

101_0192.jpg

Always good to have a glasses face.

The Copter

101_0193.jpg

I should point out that instead of the two 1x16 white bricks promised in every other part of the instructions/box/etc., I received two in old light gray. I intend to complain, but for now, realize that the main section of the tail should be white rather than gray.

The other side looks much better in person (as does the whole set).

The rotors are the best I've seen.

Cockpit closed.

... and open. I like that joystick technique they've been using on the planes/helis in this line.

Right side opened.

Left side opened. While we're looking at the hook, I couldn't really get it to work well with the stretcher. Just a note. Of course, I'm sure someone will figure it out.

101_0200.jpg

Just plain nifty tailfins.

102_0201.jpg

The awesome back hatch. The stretcher slides in smoothly.

FINAL VERDICT: 8.6/10

Figs: 8/10

Pieces: 8/10

Set: 9/10

Playability: 9/10

This is an awesome set. The build was HIGHLY enjoyable, the final product is truly very cool in person, the figs are plentiful and well-done, and it has a bunch of good features and immense play value. I highly recommend it. Let all thoughts of juniorization escape you. It's definitely not.

Until next time,

Bloody Jay

The construction worker out at sea is odd...I still think that a civilian minifig would be better( How about a surfer minifig...It would be better and more sensible. So the sides of the copter close? Nice! thats an improvement over the Coast Watch helicopter. Pity both rescuers can't ride in front together like the Coast Watch helicopter, but oh well. Jay, is there space on the back for both a rescuer minifig and the strecther?

No, it doesn't fit both. I think the stretcher is supposed to hang while the rescuer rides in the back and the pilot in the front.

So if the stretcher is inside, the rescuer has to hang on for dear life? |-D

I barely noticed how the rotors are. They look more lifelike.

How many stickers does the set have?

No, it doesn't fit both.  I think the stretcher is supposed to hang while the rescuer rides in the back and the pilot in the front.

So if the stretcher is inside, the rescuer has to hang on for dear life? |-D

I barely noticed how the rotors are. They look more lifelike.

How many stickers does the set have?

Five, I think.

Tks for the great review Jay ;)

I really like this set !!!

I wonder if the grey 1x16 bricks are a common mistake: any insights from persons who have this set would be apprecated !!!

I really like all the cool details TLC are adding to their sets :oD . I reaklly love the joystick technique (I thought it was way cool when I was building my promo yellow/brown biplane).

The shape is really awsome !!! Cannot wait to have it in my collection !!!

My only grip are the MFs. The construction worker at sea is just a mystery (maybe we'll have an oil rig set in Q4 !! :D ) + the two rescuers are too similar to the world city copter (the yellow one with floating devices) !!! But that is only minor !!!!

Jay I have one query if you have the World city rescue copter: could you do a pic with the 2 copters side by side to have an idea of scale ? That could be really interesting !!! Many tks ;)

My only grip are the MFs. The construction worker at sea is just a mystery (maybe we'll have an oil rig set in Q4 !!  :D )

Yeah, an "adult" version of this:

10yjv0cuojn5s.jpg

I would like that - a LOT :)

The copter doesn't look as bad as I thought from the first pics. Maybe I'll buy it afterall...

thanks for the review, j

-i don't really like this chopper. It doesn't look like a heavy rescue helicopter. it's as if they've taken the cockpit from a sportsplane or so... compare this with the cockpit of a Seaking or a Blackhawk... and then you get these red slopes besides the canopy... it just looks ugly... i also wonder how this pilot is going to see anything that's in the water. he's not even sitting straight up...

-I don't like the landing gear. the construction is too heavy for what it really is...

-you're supposed to put the stretcher outside, next to the chopper, and the medic is supposed to go in the back. It refers to the old helicopters of the early 50's (Remember MASH?) Lego should have taken the very old lego helicopter as a model for this one:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=6691-1

to me, this thing isn't a rescue helicopter, it sure is a chopper, but nothing more...

i guess it also doesn't fit the hospital platform, so it also lacks compatibility as well...

the minifigs don't look very interesting either. Sure the pilot looks nice but doesn't save the set from crashing down...

Sure the pilot looks nice but doesn't save the set from crashing down...

That's pretty harsh for never having seen the set in person, sne.

It really is one of those sets that's better when you're actually looking at it - I'm sure you know the feeling.

I do have the 7044, but it's disassembled now, so I can't take a comparison pic. I wasn't that fond of it, though, and find this to be an immensely more realistic, less <insert that tiresome argument>, and overall better chopper.

i really like the look of this set. As xwingyoda said, it's got great details and love the hatches at the side and back, as well as the rotor design. This year's City sets are awesome :-D

Sure the pilot looks nice but doesn't save the set from crashing down...

That's pretty harsh for never having seen the set in person, sne.

It really is one of those sets that's better when you're actually looking at it - I'm sure you know the feeling.

I do have the 7044, but it's disassembled now, so I can't take a comparison pic. I wasn't that fond of it, though, and find this to be an immensely more realistic, less <insert that tiresome argument>, and overall better chopper.

i'm just saying that I think it's ugly, that's all.

My only grip are the MFs. The construction worker at sea is just a mystery (maybe we'll have an oil rig set in Q4 !!

Wow, was this oil rig an official set? Your pic just inspired me to build one myself sometime.

Yes, that's set 373 from 1977 - I remember having the catalog it was in... damn, I'm old...

The construction worker out at sea is odd

Maybe he's a oil rig worker? BTW Oil rig would be nice. They got it in the 70s...

EDIT: Oh, I see it was already mentioned :)

Nice design. A brick-built helecopter. In the day of <insert that tiresome argument> dump-trucks and aeroplanes, its nice to see sets can still be made with bricks. I quite like the shape of this helecopter (though its use as a rescue vehicle seems questionable). And as others have stated, the rotor looks fantastic. We need more sets like this!

If LEGO is looking to hold the attention of children for more than a few minutes, its good to throw in a rich variety of useful bricks. This set does it in spades!

Later.

To each his own I suppose. I still feel that 7903 has a decent assortment of bricks, and as a builder that's what really matters to me.

Later.

that guy could also be some kind of a fisherman. those orange overals look like those ruber suspenders that the fisherman wear. Great review bloody jay you never cease to amase me. im probably not going to get it as i prefer larger military helicopters like the typhoon.

To each his own I suppose.  I still feel that 7903 has a decent assortment of bricks, and as a builder that's what really matters to me.

Later.

I didn't mean to contradict or disagree, I just found those two helicopters and liked 'em ;)