63 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding!!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Welcome one and all, let me start by saying that ever since laying eyes on this set, it has been gnawing away at me to get it, and thanks to the Australian Governments recession busting stimulus package, I picked up Green Grocer and Cafe Corner!

Has TLC delivered one of the greatest sets ever? Read on to find out.

10185: Green Grocer

068.jpg

Come join our hosts for this review. First up is Oliver Clothesoff and his lovely wife Patty O'Furniture.

OC: Lets show these lovely out-of-towners around Patty

PO: It will be my pleasure.

029.jpg

Also give a rousing welcome to Eileen Dover and Ben Down. They will guide you through this rollicking adventure in true Lego style.

BD: I dropped my quarter down the drain here.

ED: Sorry, I can't see it.

030.jpg

On with the show, you wont be disappointed :sweet:

Set name: Green Grocer

Set number: 10185

Pieces: 2352

Year of release: 2008

Minifigures: 4

Price: $149 US, $249 Aus, ~$155 Eur

Box size: 57 x 48 x 10

Weight: 3.18 Kilograms

Bricklink, Brickset, Peeron, S@H

Box

We start our review with the front of the box. Its a whopper! Its shows our four plucky hosts in all their two dimensional glory coexisting peacefully in this lovely building. A quick spin picture demonstrates that, yes, the house has 4 walls just like a real house.

001.jpg

The back of the box reveals all of the inbuilt goodness of this set. The characters moving through the building and an awesome site of Green Grocer alongside Cafe Corner and Market Street.

002.jpg

The top of the box has the complete parts list, though to be honest, if the beauty of this set hasn't won you over, a checklist probably wont help all that much.

012.jpg

Here is a picture of the side of the box showing what trouble young Ben Down can get up to! (Link as the picture is long ways and interrupts the review flow too much.)

Underside of box

Instructions

This set comes with three manuals, the first for ground floor, second for first floor, and third for the top floor and roof, whew I get tired just thinking about building this beauty!

016.jpg

The back of each manual has different advertisements for Lego.

008.jpg

The random instruction page.

020.jpg

Parts/pieces

Just take a look at all the polybags for just the first part of the build. 10 bags plus two 16 x 32 baseplates.

36.jpg

The first floor doesn't require anywhere near as many bags so don't be alarmed.

007.jpg

Back to 10 bags for the top floor and roof, normal programming has resumed.

006.jpg

Part one of the build.

I have taken a picture of all the parts included for part one (not the others though) As you can see by the two pictures there is quite a few small pieces for this section.

37.jpg

38.jpg

The minifigures are contained in the first section of the build (This may be the most common way, but if anyone has built the Death Star 10188, they will know that the parts were scattered throughout the sets poly bags)

It is often hard to take a flash photo of the figures when one has a white torso, suffice to say there is no printing on the front of Eileens torso though. All figures have no printing on the rear of the torso's. They all come with the classic smile face of Lego past.

OC: Hey, who you calling plain!

005.jpg

Part one of the build

This set starts off with a whole lot of tiling to get the beautiful floor built, then heads skyward after that.

OC: I tell you Eileen, now that the tilers have finished, the builders will be back in a week or so.

ED: Hope so, its a bit drafty at the moment.

PO: My, you certainly look hungry Mr rat.

32.jpg

OC: Why you bugging me kid? We got sandwiches in stock already!

041.jpg

A view of the newly installed cash register with all the candy goodness, and the beginnings of a fridge.

042.jpg

I really love the entrance to the upstairs rooms, complete with mail boxes in the hallway.

ED: Well, at least my mail is starting to arrive, even if I don't have a place to sleep yet.

043.jpg

So many great colour parts just in the food and drink products on level one.

PO: We better get some refrigeration in here soon or we are ruined!

044.jpg

The waste bins around back of the shop.

OC:What do you mean Santa's been?

045.jpg

OC: Well we got doors at least. The guy will be back later with the refrigeration equipment.

BD: Hmmm, bananas look good.

046.jpg

The fully stocked shop looks amazing.

BD: Mmmmm five finger discount! yoink

047.jpg

The angles on the shop door, awning and fruit boxes really give the shopfront a lovely extra dimension in detail. Not to mention the hanging lanterns, fire hydrant and street lamp.

ED: Hi everyone, the baby has arrived via stork. When will the bedrooms be built?

048.jpg

PO: ... and when the builders were finished they left all their rubbish lying in the street!

049.jpg

Part two of the build

I really love all the sand green bricks that come in this set. They will be very useful for future building, though it looks like they were limited for choice for 1 x2 bricks as you only get the garage door groove bricks in this size, even though they are used not just on the front for detailing. Note the lovely columns continue up onto the next level. Also some great balcony detailing using the black skeleton feet.

ED: ooops!

050.jpg

From this angle, you get a better look into the first floor to see a nice fireplace and a bannister, which is all the interior we get for this floor.

OC: Its ok Patty, the curtain makers will finish soon.

051.jpg

From the rear we can see the great fire escape taking shape. This is a great feature for the back of this set and has been designed really well.

060.jpg

Recreating the famous box picture shows the kitty wetting herself in peril thanks to Ben's hi jinks!

061.jpg

Third part of the build.

This being the start of the top floor building. We are off to a great with a continuation of the lovely bay window on the right, great wall detailing and the nice carpet rug and Grandfather clock.

OC: Think of it as a picnic under the stars Patty, We even have half a clock to use for firewood if it gets cooler. Large cupcake?

062.jpg

Some nice facade work again with the black slope pieces and windowing.

PO: Well Mr Puss, I still say its too drafty up here. Apple?

063.jpg

A radiator as well really lifts this floor above the one below, and should keep the residents a bit warmer up here.

PO: I heard that!

064.jpg

A shot of the Grandfather clock as well on the almost completed part three. Take a look at the finish on the bay window roofing, very nice :wub:

065.jpg

We are getting there now, three floors together and the Green Grocer is looking like a member of a sprawling city street in some bustling city somewhere.

066.jpg

Fourth and last section of the build, also shown in manual three. Featuring a nice balcony around back with barbeque, umbrella table and chairs its perfect on a sunny day.

PO: Ben how did you get up there?

ED: BBQ sparrow wings are almost done.

067.jpg

Completed build

This is what you ave been waiting for! It looks awe inspiring with its beautiful architecture now on fully completed display.

Sometimes words aren't enough, so enjoy all the views of the completed Green Grocer.

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

Its Modular baby yeah! Take in an aerial shot of the Green Grocer's levels.

076.jpg

Another exploded view of all 4 parts.

077.jpg

Good ol spare parts shot, its a cheese lovers dream!

074.jpg

Ratings

Build: 9/10: This took me about 6-8 hours as I was taking my time photographing it and searching for all the small pieces takes a while. It was an enjoyable build that kept me focused all the way through with no really mundane repetitive parts.

Pieces: 10/10: Bang for your buck here, so many great small pieces and not a single BURP or LURP to be seen.

Playability: 7/10: A lot of doors, windows, fire escape, mail boxes and the modularity of this allow for some playability, but it really is about looks.

Design: 10/10: Its hard to imagine what they have missed on the design of this set. It really looks great up close and from a distance.

Conclusion With a total score of 9/10 This set has rated well for me. I will mention again that I fell in love with this set from the moment I saw it, and at the time had yet to branch out into City, however I am so glad I did whilst this set was still on sale at S@H. Anyone who has any doubts should definitely not miss out on owning one of the true AFOL Lego masterpieces out there.

Thanks.

More pictures on my Brickshelf.

9 votes and no comments! Readers of this review must be stunned by its beauty!

Although I'm a bit concerned you've been hanging out with Dragonator since you're now hearing minifigs as voices in your head :look::laugh:

Yes, this definitely is a modern classic. The modular houses really reinvigorated my interest in Lego, when it was flagging after the sort of lack-lustre releases of 2006 (apart from the excellent SW sets from that year). Indeed, the BFOLs of today (Baby Fans of Lego) will weep and grind their teeth when this is selling MISB on bricklink in 20 years time for the price of a small house.

I can't believe you'd ever take apart this beauty for parts :cry_sad: Better buy another one, just for that purpose :wink:

I disagree about the playability though, but maybe that's because I'm more of a Town person and think of building as a form of play anyway. With all the staircases and doors and fire stairs and the grocery store and the mouse and cheese and mailboxes and so on, I think this is a highly creative set for mucking around with. OK, so it doesn't have any flick-fire missiles, but adding to the interior alone is a great experience.

i love this set! but i dont have enough money :cry_sad: if some miracle did happen and my parents allowed me to get this, i would never take this apart! great review BTW, and n a side note, you should make the dialogue colours for the girls darker, i had to highlight the words to read them :classic: if i had the money, 10/10

I disagree about the playability though, but maybe that's because I'm more of a Town person and think of building as a form of play anyway. With all the staircases and doors and fire stairs and the grocery store and the mouse and cheese and mailboxes and so on, I think this is a highly creative set for mucking around with. OK, so it doesn't have any flick-fire missiles, but adding to the interior alone is a great experience.

and you could use this as a doll house or make interiors for it, which counts as playability IMO

Thank you so much bro for the wonderful review of a most-sought after set of Lego!

Never seen the green grocer in all it's glory until your review! Lotsa angles, almost covering all of it! Very comprehensive! However, it's a pity for a poor man like me bacause i'll NEVER be able to get this set ever again... (2 reasons: 1 - Price. 2 - Not available in Singapore... 3 - Even higher price when in Singapore... :sadnew: )

Congrats on this set and thanks again for sharing!!

I think this set is just awesome, I wish I had a place to put it.

Thanks for this excellent review!

Wonderful review, I Scream Clone :wink: Love the detailed pics, finally a 10185 review showing everything! :thumbup:

For me, and even if it's too much expensive for my poor pockets, this one it's in the top five Lego sets ever released and a perfect example of how you can create a simple masterpiece with lego bricks. I hope this modular line is going to continue for many years :classic:

:oh: Once again I'm amazed by the timing of reviewers here on EB! I just bought a MIB 10133 BNSF train and TheBrickster posted a review of that set; right now I'm considering splashing out on this one and voila - you've posted THIS to make my decision even tougher...

First of all - great review, thanks for that :thumbup: I might consider doing one as well though (if / after I get the set), seeing as we've both been dreaming about getting the Green Grocer for quite some time now!

Regarding the set itself - what do you guys think, will the Green Grocer be cancelled after this year to enhance its status as a rare item? Or would CC be the first one to go? Actually, do you think LEGO will stop producing & selling any one of their modular sets within the next year?

Regarding the set itself - what do you guys think, will the Green Grocer be cancelled after this year to enhance its status as a rare item? Or would CC be the first one to go? Actually, do you think LEGO will stop producing & selling any one of their modular sets within the next year?

Exclusives seem to have a different life span to ordinary retail sets, so it's hard to tell what the exact timing will be.

I think the modular houses have been a good seller so I doubt they will go on sale, probably just sell out (I know Market Street is technically from the Factory line, but so far it is the only set from that line that hasn't been clearanced, like the Hobby Train, Space Skulls, Star Justice, Custom Garage).

It's been over 2 years since Cafe Corner was released so it may be nearing the end of its life. I would imagine Green Grocer will be around for another year at least.

Lego also has a policy of not having too many exclusives on sale from S@H at the same time, which is why they seem to periodically clear out the non-sellers to make room for new releases (I imagine this is why 10186 General Grievous was so heavily discounted, as sales were obviously terrible enough to go straight to half price). So if the Carousel, Rebel Blockade Runner and new modular house are on the horizon, it may mean that something else disappears to make room.

It's a waiting game. One thing is for sure, bricklink and resale prices will skyrocket the instant 10182 goes out of print.

Thank you all for the nice comments. It was a big undertking with my time constraints to review this set, though I am pleased with the photos and thanks for the love too :laugh:

:oh: Once again I'm amazed by the timing of reviewers here on EB! I just bought a MIB 10133 BNSF train and TheBrickster posted a review of that set; right now I'm considering splashing out on this one and voila - you've posted THIS to make my decision even tougher...

First of all - great review, thanks for that :thumbup: I might consider doing one as well though (if / after I get the set), seeing as we've both been dreaming about getting the Green Grocer for quite some time now!

Buy Buy Buy, you wont ever be dissapointed with this set having seen your City MOCS Otters! Its got loads of great builds and pieces. You will kick yourself if you miss out.

Exclusives seem to have a different life span to ordinary retail sets, so it's hard to tell what the exact timing will be.

I think the modular houses have been a good seller so I doubt they will go on sale, probably just sell out (I know Market Street is technically from the Factory line, but so far it is the only set from that line that hasn't been clearanced, like the Hobby Train, Space Skulls, Star Justice, Custom Garage).

It's been over 2 years since Cafe Corner was released so it may be nearing the end of its life. I would imagine Green Grocer will be around for another year at least.

Lego also has a policy of not having too many exclusives on sale from S@H at the same time, which is why they seem to periodically clear out the non-sellers to make room for new releases (I imagine this is why 10186 General Grievous was so heavily discounted, as sales were obviously terrible enough to go straight to half price). So if the Carousel, Rebel Blockade Runner and new modular house are on the horizon, it may mean that something else disappears to make room.

It's a waiting game. One thing is for sure, bricklink and resale prices will skyrocket the instant 10182 goes out of print.

It will be interesting to see what happens with all the influx Exclusives coming. My thoughts are VW and or Carousel will be marked down, not to mention AT_OT sometime later, they can't have too many SW sets.

AN incredible review from a good Academy teacher. This is how reviews are to be done!

I like the set, but I still don't have my Medieval Marketplace so this set didn't make it to the Zorro list.

An outstanding review of an outstanding set!

Yes i voted outstanding. :laugh:

The story in the review is well made, and so are the detail shots from the interior, very nice to see.

My only minor nitpick would be that some of the pictures are too light, maybe turning the building to a different light would solve this.

But heck i suck at taking pictures, so why am i talking. :hmpf_bad:

Thank you for this review ISH!

Great review! :thumbup:

I really like the Green Grocer. :wub:

It's one of my all time favourites.

So I voted outstanding! :classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Thank you all again.

Stash you mentioned that you had built this set mirror image style, now there is a challenge for people to take up!

Can't wait to see it at Brickworld!

Thank you all again.

Stash you mentioned that you had built this set mirror image style, now there is a challenge for people to take up!

Can't wait to see it at Brickworld!

You have seen it built mirror imaged, you were probably just dazzled by the excess beauty :wacko:

You can also see more pics here.

If I can figure out what I am doing wrong with my pictures, and I stop cussing at the %$#(!%#^##$@ computer, I'll get a pic up Wednesday night. Great review there buddy!

You have seen it built mirror imaged, you were probably just dazzled by the excess beauty :wacko:

You can also see more pics here.

Well thanks for pointing to the link. Yes I was too dazzled at the time to noticed you had mirrored it :blush: I was trying to distract you so I could swipe a few middle floors :devil:

If I can figure out what I am doing wrong with my pictures, and I stop cussing at the %$#(!%#^##$@ computer, I'll get a pic up Wednesday night. Great review there buddy!

Stash and cameras LOL

Brilliant set, great review too!

I still get lost in the details of this set, this is the way to go imo! It's one of those sets I'd rather buy another copy off for parts than breaking 1 down..

I'm reconsidering that right now actually :cry_sad:

ISC, this is a very very good attempt on this new reviewing style. I am enjoying the read, and at the same, there are lots of useful and beautiful pictures to complement with. More importantly, thanks for taking your time to build up this incredible mega modular set review. :thumbup:

Indeed, this is one of the best looking modular City sets if you are out to collect to complete one side of your street. I am proud to own this set in my collection. :cry_happy:

This set, no doubt, a pure "5".

Fantastic review, I've always wanted this set but now I want it even more! I just need some of that money stuff Lego seem so obsessed with!

Laurie

Thanks a lot for this fabulous review!

Although I think the finished building is absolutely gorgeous, I'm not sure I like the interiors that much: they look rather poor, and not like someone's home at all :(