How do you rate this set?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Bit belated, but thanks for an excellent review.

I've been eyeing this kit of for some time now. I'm going to try and grab one at KMart's (Australia) clearance sale.

After just buying my first new Castle set yesterday basically for the shiny crown and minifigs, this set looks very appealing, you get so many fig and all cool ones, plus that castle is so much bigger than the box makes it look.

Superb review Svelte :thumbup:

I recently got this set finally, before that i alsow a s abit let down by the lakc of interior, but i found that this is easy to solve. You don't even need to mod anything..the weapon stands and barrels you built at the beginning fit in the spare rooms behind the rocks just perfectly. I actually think they are meant to go there, but the instructions don't show it. So you see..no problem with the interior anymore :tongue:

s73f7030.jpg

s73f7033.jpg

I did that too, but that was kind of an unnecessary bump. :sceptic:

This is a review thread, i think everyone can add something to it, no matter if its 1 day or 1 year old. Also, why does it matter for you if it's on page 47 or on page 1?

Yes, metalandi was contributing to the discussion, so this was far from a useless bump.

It's very interesting to revive this thread in light of the new Castle, which seems about the same size as the Fortress but is $20 more expensive here :sceptic:

Funny how these 4-walled castles are everywhere now, from the official line to Prince of Persia.

Well, the new castle has about 100 pieces more, and i think the design of it is outstanding, so i think the price is kinda justified. I got the troll's fortress for about 90 euros, and the new castle is around 100 from what i've seen.

Well, the new castle has about 100 pieces more, and i think the design of it is outstanding, so i think the price is kinda justified. I got the troll's fortress for about 90 euros, and the new castle is around 100 from what i've seen.

The Troll Fortress was 108 € new when I bought it from a local store half a year ago, and the new castle is now 119 € in the same store. The prices just keep climbing up, I tell you... :sceptic:

Well, i ordered the fortress a week or 2 ago at amazon.de and it was 97 euro (so it seems i actually got the 90 wrong then..) and i ordered the new castle yesterday at spielwarenkontor24 and it was 99 euro. Looks like lego prices will always stay a big mystery...

I still have this set MISB in my parents basement. Its gonna be another 6 months before my house is built and I can finally put it together.

Edited by BearHeart

This set never stood out to me and as a result I still find myself debating whether to buy it, especially now that the better priced Kingdoms castle has arrived.

This set never stood out to me and as a result I still find myself debating whether to buy it, especially now that the better priced Kingdoms castle has arrived.

The price is what has kept me away. Even still, I had the box in my hands tonight at my local TRU. Looks like a good set and based on the reviews I intend to buy it, hopefully soon. I have been trying to collect the fantasy era trolls so this is a must have for me now. Still a long way off from completing the series though.

It's hardly a must have, especially with a new line just launched. The 4 exclusive figs including giant trolls are the best part.

It's not bad by any means, and quite nicely designed, but the grab-bag mix of colours doesn't do it any favours. The gate and front two towers are the best parts.

It's hardly a must have, especially with a new line just launched. The 4 exclusive figs including giant trolls are the best part.

It's not bad by any means, and quite nicely designed, but the grab-bag mix of colours doesn't do it any favours. The gate and front two towers are the best parts.

Other than the Troll Warship, not many Troll sets have this many figures. I do agree that there is not a lot of wow factor with this set though.

Edited by B.C.

As I said somewere-this set have nice design (but nothing amazing really) , and very small Playablity. The only "traps" are the falling axes...

And I think this set was made just for buying amazing figs for ridiculous price...

And one shield... Just ONE shield....

As I said somewere-this set have nice design (but nothing amazing really) , and very small Playablity. The only "traps" are the falling axes...

And I think this set was made just for buying amazing figs for ridiculous price...

And one shield... Just ONE shield....

Tough crowd around here. I finally found this set, sitting on my local TRU shelf. This was AFTER I drove 40 miles to the nearest Lego store. :sceptic:

Anyway, I agree with the lack of playability part, but I really think the design is great overall. I love the figures which was honestly the driving force for the purchase. I am a fan of the trolls, only need the Troll Battle Wheel to get them all.

I do take issue with the small number of trolls in this set, and overall the lack of shields throughout the troll sets. But I really do like it, and it fits well with the many other fantasy era sets I have on display.

I find the complaints about the lack of shields very amusing. Everyone knows when a troll needs a shield he simply grabs a weaker comrade and thrusts him forward! :-P

JEB!

Just joined Eurobricks... so happy to be able to some discussion on the castle theme.

I don't know if this point has been covered in previous threads (forgive me if indeed that's the case)... I was wondering if builders who bought the set 7097 would find the colour of the crown of the troll king strange.

When I saw the front of the box (that is before I opened the box), I was really excited about the frosting gold crown. But after I opened the box, I noticed that the crown was reddish brown!! My impression was - the part wasn't right - that's why I sent a letter to Lego and ask for clarification. The "interesting" thing was that they didn't explain and just sent me a shiny crown!! I sent the crown back to them and restated my query, but they never explained why there was a discrepancy between the colour shown on the box and the actual one.

Of course later on I realized that "the problem crown" is not really a problem; all people bought this set got a dull reddish brown crown. It's been a year since I've got this set. But I'm still frustrated about the colour of the crown; really want to hear what others think.

Edited by gordongordon

If you find anymore of those nasty brown helmets (or copper as they are called) just send them to me and I'll send you the nice shiny ones

Just joined Eurobricks... so happy to be able to some discussion on the castle theme.

I don't know if this point has been covered in previous threads (forgive me if indeed that's the case)... I was wondering if builders who bought the set 7097 would find the colour of the crown of the troll king strange.

When I saw the front of the box (that is before I opened the box), I was really excited about the frosting gold crown. But after I opened the box, I noticed that the crown was reddish brown!! My impression was - the part wasn't right - that's why I sent a letter to Lego and ask for clarification. The "interesting" thing was that they didn't explain and just sent me a shiny crown!! I sent the crown back to them and restated my query, but they never explained why there was a discrepancy between the colour shown on the box and the actual one.

Of course later on I realized that "the problem crown" is not really a problem; all people bought this set got a dull reddish brown crown. It's been a year since I've got this set. But I'm still frustrated about the colour of the crown; really want to hear what others think.

I didn't even notice the picture on the box was different from the actual minfig. Just checked mine and found the same thing. I think it looks OK as it matches the color of the sorceress' hood.

So you sent back the shiny crown? Just curious as to why you just didn't keep it.

Probably worth sharing with you guys-- I've just seen an advance copy of Target's US Black Friday 2010 ad, and they're listing this set for $64.99 while supplies last.....

Might be worth getting finally at the lowered price, but it'll have to be an early wake-up to do so...

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

Probably worth sharing with you guys-- I've just seen an advance copy of Target's US Black Friday 2010 ad, and they're listing this set for $64.99 while supplies last.....

Might be worth getting finally at the lowered price, but it'll have to be an early wake-up to do so...

I read about the sale and am really disappointed that it's not $50.

A few years ago the Fantasy Caste set was $50 at Walmart and Target had $50 sets on Black Friday too. Now Target will have this set, long discontinues and it's only 35% off?

Saw it on black friday, staring at me on the shelf. I passed in favor of the $80 camera. I already have the set, but wanted another pair of the troll King and Queen. My local Target sold out, but I found another Target close by that has around 20 boxes of this set still in stock. Full retail price for now, but I will keep an eye out for markdowns after Christmas.