• Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Set: Gold Heist

Number: 5971

Theme: Space Police 3

Price: $19.99USD ($21.99-$25.99TRU)

Welcome to my first review! Today we'll be taking a look at one of the new Space Police 3 sets, Gold Heist. Is it worth the long trip to TRU, and the even more difficult trip through the store's mark-ups to get this set? Or should Frenzy and his arms be left on the shelf? Read on to find out!

The Box:

On the front of the box, we see a good overview of the set, with Frenzy running from either the officer or the choking hazard warning. I'll let you decide. Artwork is well done and appealing.

100_5614.jpg

The back of the box focuses on the play features as usual. Nothing we haven't seen before.

100_5615.jpg

After a particularly violent struggle (Which I won, I'd like you to know) the box is opened and the unnumbered bags, instructions, and DSS spill out.

100_5616.jpg

Bags opened

100_5618.jpg

The most interesting non-minifig piece in the set is the trans-dark blue windshield, which so far had only been seen in trans-clear (I think?) The black fin is not new to lego, but has only just begun to come up in system sets. The gold bar is nice, but nothing we have not already seen from the Agents line.

100_5619.jpg

The minifigs! Officer has printing on both sides and his legs, while Frenzy has printing on front and back only. His extra arms/head bust fit snugly onto the head pole, and his mouth can fit lightsaber blade sized pieces like spears and viking horns.

100_5620.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed by the officer's lack of an air tank in this set, much like the one in Squidman escape. It's not like he couldn't have fit inside the ship with it, so I see no excuse for this.

100_5621.jpg

Random instruction page

100_5617.jpg

You first build Frenzy's scooter thing. I wasn't particularly impressed by this, and it seems to much like an afterthought, looking more like the ejector seat of a ship rather than something stand-alone.

100_5623.jpg

His height makes it look a bit awkward as well.

100_5624.jpg

Next part of the build is the officer's ship. Here's a picture of the build a little before halfway... looks a lot like the Exo-Force Storm Lasher without the fans at this point.

100_5626.jpg

And the completed model! Note that although the cockpit does not close right in several of these pictures, it's due to an error in my building, and that it does in fact close all the way.

100_5628.jpg

The famous leftover shot. Always nice to have some extra cheese slopes.

100_5627.jpg

The front of the ship, sorry for the slight blurriness. The flick fires come off, and can be used as guns for the officer. (Not shown here, sorry)

100_5629.jpg

Top view. Back thruster design is nice, although I would have appreciated some trans-dark blue round pieces in the back, as is implied by the box art.

100_5630.jpg

A nice feature is that it opens up both on top and in the front. However, this makes the cockpit extremely non-airtight on the sides, and it may be difficult to change this without having to compromise half of the opening feature. The controls piece is a sticker.

100_5633.jpg

All four engines can swivel. For some reason, this gives the ship the feeling of some type of futuristic helicopter.

100_5634.jpg

The mechanism that detaches and holds the safe works well enough, but I cannot help but feel that Lego, in their infinite wisdom, could have devised a more elegant connector using clips. The safe is a weak point, being a bit open on the sides. It's also much larger than it needs to be to carry two gold bars, which is about as much as it can hold.

100_5636.jpg

Final Overview

100_5637.jpg

Final Thoughts

Minifigs: 8/10 -- Four Arms is very nice and the droid arms do not bother me, but the officer needs an airtank. His back printing helps make up for this, though.

Parts: 6/10 -- The windshield is beautiful in blue, but there are no other special parts to speak of. No non-minifig printed pieces.

Build: 7/10 -- There is technic, but not too much. Nothing especially hard about the build.

Design: 6/10 -- Non-airtight cockpit, overcomplicated container. Can be made much nicer with just a few white plates and cheese slopes. Thruster are very nice.

Price/Piece Ratio: 9/10 -- I paid $21 dollars for it, which, considering the TRU and TLC mark-ups for this year, is very good for 205 pieces.

Final: 37/50 -- 74/100

I kind of liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. It's an okay set, I think I was expecting a bit more, but my positive thoughts about the line still haven't changed.

I hope you enjoyed my review. Can't wait for the bigger wave of Space Police sets!

Finding his stubby clawlike hands to small and weak to flick the giant rocket in his gun, Officer Faramir goes Medieval.

100_5638.jpg

One last thing, could an admin please add a 1-5 poll to this if possible? Thanks.

Edited by KimT
poll added

Thanks for taking the time to review this set. :classic:

After reading this, I've decided that I won't be getting this set (even though I wasn't going to get this set before). :tongue:

The safe does look too bulky. It would have been better if it was made of one big piece that has thinner walls, so that it'll be smaller and hold more gold at the same time.

Edited by ILikePi

Thanks for the review!

This set looks OK... not amazing, not poor.

I think we'll have to wait for the larger sets to get a true feel for the line as a whole. The first four aren't doing a whole lot except reinforcing the impression that the alien vehicles are a bit sucky, but the aliens themselves are cool!

Thanks for the review Faramir, I really like this set. Frenzy Four Arms, as I call him, is awesome and the difference in his arms doesn't leave an annoying impact like I thought it would, so that's great. The ship is very nice, though I'll definitely mod it to be better. I'm a tad disappointed by only getting two gold bars, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks again!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I also don't like how the SP III line has almost no weapons. All there is are those flick-fire missile "rocket launchers". Do the larger sets have any weapons?

EDIT: I just found out that the impulse set has a weapon...

Edited by ILikePi

This to me is really disappointing. At first I thought that this set was solid- and well built. Now I see that it is slappity, and gimmicy. I like how they finally made another minifig with green hands, the green goblin being the only one. I cant force myself to get this.

Good review, and I agree with your conclusions. It's decent but has a lot of flaws. The model is pretty thin and hollow for its size, and the cockpit is too open as well. It seems to have a lot of stuff tacked on the exterior without having enough substance in the main chassis.

Like the smaller sets, I don't like how even the control panel is a sticker, especially as those have always been printed in the past. It looks like that is going to be a problem with the whole line.

In the preliminary pictures, it looked like the two largest sets would be the real highlights of this theme, and what I've seen so far is backing that up. Those are also the only ones to have large transparent windshields.

The alien looks excellent, but he's really tall. He almost looks too tall by minifig standards. :tongue:

Thanks for the review, I wont be importing this from the US in a hurry after reading your review. However I still think I might pick it up next time I'm out there as I think it's an alright set.

The biggest minus of this set is: No Magnets!

I have to agree with you there that would have been a much better way to hold the safe.

So they built this entire wierd police hover vehicle soley for the gold safe gimmick... meh

Here's a Crazy Idea!

What if, instead of having the hover thing say police on the side, they made it yellow like a civillian cargo lifter vehicle used around a spaceport. This would make much more sense for what it is, and it would seem less gimmicky.

Then make the gold safe into a larger cargo box, perhaps containing more interesting items, like minifig suitcases or laptops.

Then, keep the Alien minifig with his funny ejector chair, and the cop, but give the cop maybe the K-9 robot as seen in the impulse set.

Now instead of a simple, 'alien steals safe from police vehicle', you have a much more complex and interesting model: 'alien steals luggage from cargo carrier, police patrolman attempting to apprehend on foot'...

This would also imply a much more diverse universe for the theme... I mean, what good are space cops without some space civilians?

-reminds me of the situation with City a while back, all cops and firemen and no women or children...

Getting this set is a low priority for me... tho I might eventually for the alien minifig, and so I can mod it as described above, if it didn't claim to be a police vehicle the lifter would be OK sitting around a spaceport layout...

The old Space themes actually had civilian factions like Futuron and M:Tron, and the catalogs often showed the Space Police defending the civilians from the Blacktrons. It would be great to see something like that again over the next year or two, although I wouldn't bet on it.

It does have a lot of nice pieces, I think I see some wars to use the technic pieces for some SNOT to fill in the holes.... picture from the side please so we can see how bad it is.

Thanks for the good review, the set is not "amazing" on it's own but the alien and the blue windshield will certainly be nice additions to my parts.

I think most of the new space sets for me will just be the figs and for new parts.

Ralph

The biggest minus of this set is: No Magnets!

Yeah, you're right... now that I see it, a magnet would have worked perfectly. Props for you. :tongue:

Here's a Crazy Idea!

What if, instead of having the hover thing say police on the side, they made it yellow like a civillian cargo lifter vehicle used around a spaceport. This would make much more sense for what it is, and it would seem less gimmicky.

Then make the gold safe into a larger cargo box, perhaps containing more interesting items, like minifig suitcases or laptops.

Then, keep the Alien minifig with his funny ejector chair, and the cop, but give the cop maybe the K-9 robot as seen in the impulse set.

Now instead of a simple, 'alien steals safe from police vehicle', you have a much more complex and interesting model: 'alien steals luggage from cargo carrier, police patrolman attempting to apprehend on foot'...

Actually sounds like a pretty good crazy idea... I'd definitely like to see some more space civilians. :thumbup:

It does have a lot of nice pieces, I think I see some wars to use the technic pieces for some SNOT to fill in the holes.... picture from the side please so we can see how bad it is.

I was't happy with it, so I didnt include it in the review, but here it is. Remember, I attached the cockpit down a hole too far, it's actually level on the accurate model.

100_5631.jpg

Anyone else hear all those children scream out as soon as I added this picture? :tongue:

Edited by Faramir

Thanks for the review, Faramir. I saw a review of this set on Brickset, which was really negative. That really turned me off on buying this set. However, after your more optimistic review, I think I might have to grab it, which is great because I was really stoked about getting it when we saw the first pictures. Any parts that fall off when moved, or any other weak points that you can think of?

Thanks for the nice review!

As a whole, I agree with your assessment of this set, while it has its flaws, I still think it's a fun set with some nice design and pieces.

One thing I've noticed with all of the SP sets is the presence of way too many random things sticking out from everywhere. They make the sets look too cluttered for me.

That being said, I'm sure kids will love the sets, and I'm sure I'll enjoy them as well. :classic:

Eh, still not really sure about this. I was expecting an enclosed cabin, and the technic opening mechanism is an eyesore. The arch piece doesn't really fit well there, either. I think I'll save my money for Hyperspace Persuit and Galactic Enforcer.

Anyone know if Frenzy will make another appearance this year? I would very much like to add him to my collection without regretting the set as a whole.

Thanks for the review, Faramir. I saw a review of this set on Brickset, which was really negative. That really turned me off on buying this set. However, after your more optimistic review, I think I might have to grab it, which is great because I was really stoked about getting it when we saw the first pictures. Any parts that fall off when moved, or any other weak points that you can think of?

No, it's pretty sturdy. I just turned it upside down and shook the megabloks out of it, and nothing came off. Still though, I feel like there are still other sets out there right now for the same price that you'd be better off getting. :sceptic:

Looks good, has anyone seen these in the UK yet?

Sorry, but the word is that these won't be showing up in the UK as of now... :frown:

Anyone know if Frenzy will make another appearance this year? I would very much like to add him to my collection without regretting the set as a whole.

As of right now, no. But we still haven't gotten any look as Max Security transport, so there's still some hope for you :tongue:

As of right now, no. But we still haven't gotten any look as Max Security transport, so there's still some hope for you :tongue:

Oh, well... On a side note, is it possible to get the Alienn Commander from the Mars series last year? As in separate from set?

Oh, well... On a side note, is it possible to get the Alienn Commander from the Mars series last year? As in separate from set?

You mean in one of the SpIII sets? I'd have to shoot you for suggesting that, and then shoot TLG for rehashing yucky MM aliens. They all suck.

You mean in one of the SpIII sets? I'd have to shoot you for suggesting that, and then shoot TLG for rehashing yucky MM aliens. They all suck.

I mean that awesome alien figure from the MM series that actually had moveable arms and legs-NOT those crummy little drones that came with every MM set. And I was wondering if I could find the figure separately somewhere on the inter-web...

On Topic:

I think they did great with Frenzy's eyes... super creepy

I mean that awesome alien figure from the MM series that actually had moveable arms and legs-NOT those crummy little drones that came with every MM set. And I was wondering if I could find the figure separately somewhere on the inter-web...

On Topic:

I think they did great with Frenzy's eyes... super creepy

Try Bricklink, its a great way to get individual parts. I'll link it to you-

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=79845

A bit pricy here.