Sign in to follow this  
salty tbone

Another scam artist caught switching Lego bar codes

Being witness to a crime and not reporting it does not show good civil behaviour. And I am certain that in many countries it is against the law as well!

Personally I would intercept if I noticed such things, if this can be done without danger, else I wouls tell the clerk afterwards so they can at least check their cameras, call their insurance company/police/...

Being witness to a crime and not reporting it does not show good civil behaviour. And I am certain that in many countries it is against the law as well!

Personally I would intercept if I noticed such things, if this can be done without danger, else I wouls tell the clerk afterwards so they can at least check their cameras, call their insurance company/police/...

In the end the person who vandalised the sets did not take either of them away. I would have flagged it up if I thought he was trying to buy a set with 2 lots of contents in 1 box! In the event, the offence is criminal damage, not theft. My presence might have deterred him from attempting to remove the sets. In the end he replaced the 2nd motor unit in its original box.

One doesn't like to interfere. It is ultimately the store's responsibility to protect its property. Someone might have a knife these days, especially someone who is already behaving shiftily. It is said that 90% of crime in the UK is drug-related. Someone who needs a fix will do anything to get it, without caring who they hurt or what they damage - it never crosses their mind. There are probably more efficient ways to make money though, so in this case it's unlikely!

By interfering, I might be taking on more responsibility and drop myself in all sorts of trouble! I might be falsely accused of something myself! If there were not a camera on the scene it would be my word against his. I quite agree with the principle of helping people uphold the law but the litigation society has crept in! A witness makes a big difference in legal matters.

Given the lack of product care that I've experienced before at Toys R Us (more than one set missing parts, others thrown about, creasing instructions in a way worse than I've ever had from LS@H), it didn't encourage me to help them. Their staff should make regular tours of the store, so there's either a procedural failure or a failure to implement the procedure. I was careful never to buy a re-sealed set from TRU ever since.

Mark

I agree completely.

I suppose the only concern is the possible danger you impose upon yourself by intervening. When I see a possible theft I'll inform the nearest store representative but I'm not going to confront the offending party. A person who has no qualms stealing may have no issue with messing me about either. I'm not sure about the situation with a vandalized package though. I wouldn't want to be blamed for the unlawful deeds of another.

You'd think the cashier would notice something like this. :hmpf_bad:

Nah - I'm not surprised. It seems to me that most folks "on register" are only there for the paycheck. They (although, I know there are exceptions...) could care less what someone pays as long as their day moves by quickly. Unless the offender happens to get in the line of a Lego nut or works in the department, chances are they'll get away with it.

It really is sad. He's giving us Lego purchasers a bad name in a way. Now Loss Prevention agents have to watch the Lego buyers more carefully. I do wonder though, what they did with all those Lego sets he hadn't sold. Did the police bring them back to the store so they could sell them at regular price?

My guess is that he was making a killing on them on eBay.

Ah, the shoplifting/telling issue. I understand if a person feels they can't confront the person, but I have to say that I'm disapointed that folks don't take the time to at least tell an associate. If you let crime go by, then you're part of the problem, and when you get a box and someone has removed some pieces, then you should probably keep it because you're part of the reason it got that way.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh, but the reality is that crime flourishes when the citizenry is silent.