Sign in to follow this  
Klaus-Dieter

Legostadt

Update September 29, 2009: page 4

Update August 13, 2009: page 2

Hello everybody! :sweet:

Since we're getting with the Farm theme this spring and the Town theme this summer a lot of awesome City sets :oh: I decided to buy some of them (you can see a list in my signature) and to overwork the plan for my final City layout.

I even found a new name for my Lego City since Lego City is a so common name that it's nothing special. So my Lego City shall be called Legostadt - which is exactly the same name but in German. :grin:

I regrettably haven't got enough place to display all of my City sets so I decided to show you the most important part of every city - the city center - first.

Until now I only made a precise plan for the city center which will be finished at the latest in October. Here is the plan:

City Center of Legostadt

stadtzentrum2009.jpg

As soon as I own the sports car, the city corner and the wind turbine transport I'll built this layout up and will show some pics here.

Any questions? What are your thoughts? Any ideas for improvement? :sweet:

Btw: Since Legostadt (at least how I see it now) grows and grows there will be some updates from time to time which I'll post here in order to not always have to open a new topic. To one of the admins: The topic My Lego City can now be deleted since I'll delete the pics added in this topic as soon as when I'm ready with the layout of the city center of Legostadt.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

What a nice staffmap of your Legostadt!

I am looking forward to a completed version of this LEGO city.

Nice job KD. I like how you have planned and organized your layout well. In regard to your older message, you can keep it open. I would just recommend that you don't post to it anymore. The pictures of all those awesome sets are terrific. I see so many that I have and do not (like the Metro Garage - what a beauty).

EDIT: KD, I would recommed that you look into using Track Designer. It's a great little program (and easy to use (for even me)). You can build your road plates and train track, plus it will give you the overall measurements. It's a great program to design your town.

It really looks nice :thumbup: I like how you're combining classic and new sets. I look forward for pics :wink:

BTW, for the warehouse next to the 10184 gas station when you say 7699 set what do you mean? I've checked it at peeron and it's a Mars Mission one :look:

It's great to see you awaiting that interested the layout of my city center of Legostadt! :sweet:

An addition:

Here is the detailed plan of the park:

detailansicht_park.jpg

Only for explanation:

The park (which is already finished and looks imo fine) is built on a green 32x32 baseplate.

In the middle there is the fountain from the awesome 10184 Town Plan.

The green circles shall illustrate broadleaf trees (the ones you can find in the lovely new Sports Car set, too), the green quads shall illustrate little flower beds, the brown quads park benches and the grey quads brick-built dustbins (like the one in the Octan Gas Station from 1993).

It really looks nice :thumbup: I like how you're combining classic and new sets. I look forward for pics :wink:

BTW, for the warehouse next to the 10184 gas station when you say 7699 set what do you mean? I've checked it at peeron and it's a Mars Mission one :look:

Thank you for this advise, BlueBard! :sweet: I wouldn't have noticed it. :blush:

Like you can see I corrected it. Of course it shall not be a Mars Mission set but the 6699 Cycle Shop. :wink:

Nice job KD. I like how you have planned and organized your layout well. In regard to your older message, you can keep it open. I would just recommend that you don't post to it anymore. The pictures of all those awesome sets are terrific. I see so many that I have and do not (like the Metro Garage - what a beauty).

Thanks, TheBrickster! :sweet:

I must say that I'm very proud of those sets, too. But an update is really needed since I already destroyed the camera car because it looked to simple to me and because I'll very supposably sell the old post office and the old post car if TLG releases a new post office next year. Plus I bought, buy and even plan to buy some more new City sets.

So I let these pics of this past layout on my brickshelf gallery. :wink:

EDIT: KD, I would recommed that you look into using Track Designer. It's a great little program (and easy to use (for even me)). You can build your road plates and train track, plus it will give you the overall measurements. It's a great program to design your town.

Thank you for this advise, TheBrickster! :sweet:

I'll ask about it.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Some days ago I bought the awesome 7641 City Life and some weeks ago I ordered the brilliant 7747 Wind Turbine Transport.

So next week on Wednesday I'll supposably build up my layout, will make pics and then will show them on Thursday or Friday to you.

Have a nice time until then! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Some days ago I bought the awesome 7641 City Life and some weeks ago I ordered the brilliant 7747 Wind Turbine Transport.

So next week on Wednesday I'll supposably build up my layout, will make pics and then will show them on Thursday or Friday to you.

Have a nice time until then! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Nice display you're planning there KD, I'm looking forward to what it looks like in real as I am planning something similar in a couple of weeks too :thumbup:

Benny

Very nice display. Plans look really good, also with the park planned in the center.

Seeing something like this make my hands itchy to unpack all my lego (which is still packed since my last movement to a new house)

Good luck, and as already said, I cannot wait to see some pics.

Very nice layout KD. I like the level of organization and planning that you've put into your town. I especially like the park plan.

Nice job! :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your nice comments, Vaders_son, aawsum and TheBrickster! :classic:

I think you won't be disappointed. :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

Good plans! Looks like it will be nice, small and full of detail.

I like the pics of your old town, I see you like to use the old grey roads too! I think the old grey roads were the best out of all the types of road out there, there is really no additional building of sidewalk needed as there is with the green roadplates.

I'll be looking forward to see your finished town. :thumbup:

Looks good as a WIP. You should add more buildings too. And BTW, what set is 6294?

Looks good, the park is my favorite part of it.

I like the pics of your old town, I see you like to use the old grey roads too! I think the old grey roads were the best out of all the types of road out there, there is really no additional building of sidewalk needed as there is with the green roadplates.

I use mostly old gray roads too, mainly because of the various special baseplates that appeared in those colors. Several sets came with such baseplates that have no equivalents in dark gray (Klaus has a 6394 there, which was one such set). This also applies to green baseplates to a lesser extent.

Edited by CP5670

What Programm are you using to design your layout btw?

Benny

I use Open Office Draw.

It's a very good program since you can copy all forming and models.

I can really advise you to use it - I surely will use it in the future, too. :classic:

Good plans! Looks like it will be nice, small and full of detail.

I'll be looking forward to see your finished town. :thumbup:

Looks good, the park is my favorite part of it.

[...]

I use mostly old gray roads too, mainly because of the various special baseplates that appeared in those colors. Several sets came with such baseplates that have no equivalents in dark gray (Klaus has a 6394 there, which was one such set). This also applies to green baseplates to a lesser extent.

Thanks, Polish Guy and CP5670! :classic:

I personally prefer the old grey road plates over all other road plates, too, since there is enough place for the civilians to walk but even enough place for cars (with 6 stuck wide cars with side mirrors it gets however a bit close).

I wanted at all costs to have a park in the middle of Legostadt. The park is really not big - but nevertheless it's a green and calm place where the citizens can relax. :classic:

Looks good as a WIP. You should add more buildings too. And BTW, what set is 6294?

Thanks, prateek! :classic:

When you look at my layout I built up last year you can see that I own many more buildings than I will include in the City Center of Legostadt.

But - like the name already says the city center is only the center of Legostadt. And all the other buildings belong to different districts.

Another two very simple reasons are time and place:

1. I haven't got that much time at the moment to put all my City sets together to a complete City layout.

2. I will make the pics of the city center of Legostadt in my student digs - and there is only place for about that number of sets shown in my layout plan.

Btw: Thank you very much for the advise for my mistake, prateek: It shall be 6394 - the awesome Metro Park & Service Tower. I corrected that.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I like your plan for a city center, using mostly older-design buildings like most cities would have in their downtown. I am curious why you are putting the wind turbine there though. I understand it's a new set for you that you want to display, but it seems pretty close to the city center. Not that I think they shouldn't put them in cities in real life; the wind funneling between tall buildings would probably increase their power generation.

I also prefer the old grey roadplates for the reasons you stated. I used to hand-draw city plans when I was very little. I haven't made any city plans in a long time, but I likely will in the next few months. I'm thinking of using the LDraw programs, as the baseplates are all pre-made plus some of the actual set files are available from other people. It'd take a pretty powerful computer to render a whole city though!

You're right, the Metro Park & Service Tower is awesome and belongs there. I was looking through your previous city on brickshelf (impressive collection by the way!) and saw a few other sets that could fit. What about Main Street? Those would fit in an old city center quite well. Also the new hospital, though more modern, wouldn't look bad. I've found that set fits quite well on a 16x32 plate with a bit of modification, and looks better than the huge rock plate, in my opinion.

But overall I'm just happy to see someone building a downtown that isn't all CC-style buildings :laugh:

Edited by Section8

I like your plan for a city center, using mostly older-design buildings like most cities would have in their downtown. I am curious why you are putting the wind turbine there though. I understand it's a new set for you that you want to display, but it seems pretty close to the city center. Not that I think they shouldn't put them in cities in real life; the wind funneling between tall buildings would probably increase their power generation.

I also prefer the old grey roadplates for the reasons you stated. I used to hand-draw city plans when I was very little. I haven't made any city plans in a long time, but I likely will in the next few months. I'm thinking of using the LDraw programs, as the baseplates are all pre-made plus some of the actual set files are available from other people. It'd take a pretty powerful computer to render a whole city though!

You're right, the Metro Park & Service Tower is awesome and belongs there. I was looking through your previous city on brickshelf (impressive collection by the way!) and saw a few other sets that could fit. What about Main Street? Those would fit in an old city center quite well. Also the new hospital, though more modern, wouldn't look bad. I've found that set fits quite well on a 16x32 plate with a bit of modification, and looks better than the huge rock plate, in my opinion.

But overall I'm just happy to see someone building a downtown that isn't all CC-style buildings :laugh:

Thanks, Section8! :classic:

You're right about adding the Main Street to the city center of Legostadt. I even have and had that in mind - but forgot to update the picture on BS - so thanks for the advise. :classic: Now you can find it in the updated plan in the first comment of this topic.

And about the CC styled buildings: I really am no fan of them, too, since they are much to expensive and don't include an open back wall.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Btw: Thank you very much for the advise for my mistake, prateek: It shall be 6394 - the awesome Metro Park & Service Tower. I corrected that.

Klaus-Dieter

Ok, I understand. That parking garage will look great in your town :thumbup:

Now I want to proudly present you my city center of Legostadt (stand: August 12, 2009):

Part 1:

A view over the city center of Legostadt:

dsc00684.jpg

From one side:

dsc00687.jpg

And from the other side:

dsc00718.jpg

There's a lot of going on in the center of Legostadt.

So let's begin with the hardworking street cleaners keeping the city clean:

dsc00691.jpgdsc00689.jpg

But not only the street workers, even the construction men have a lot to do:

dsc00695.jpgdsc00702.jpg

The mails have to be delivered early and the fuel has to arrive at the petrol station:

dsc00709.jpgdsc00714.jpg

What can you do in the meantime? Perhaps cleaning the sidewalk or planting new flowers in the park:

dsc00713.jpgdsc00712.jpg

Part 2 will follow in the next minutes. :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Part 2:

A demonstration is taking place in the center of Legostadt:

dsc00703.jpg

Luckily there are enough policemen to keep it under control:

dsc00705.jpgdsc00706.jpg

There are some people which you do not necessarily want to have in your park but you trust them as long as they don't act up:

dsc00710.jpg

The park is namely a place for the civilians to relax:

dsc00731.jpg

E. g. you can in quietness read a newspaper or buy an ice cream:

dsc00707.jpg

It is even a place for the family to make a getaway and a romantic place to meet your girlfriend:

dsc00708.jpgdsc00721.jpg

Not very far away form the park you can listen some street musicians:

dsc00722.jpg

Some tourists are making photos and a marriage is taking place, too:

dsc00690.jpgdsc00696.jpg

"Mommy, I want that cool baseball cap!"

dsc00694.jpg

Popcorn?

dsc00701.jpg

Or better a pizza? Buon appetito!

dsc00724.jpg

When you want to get into the city center of Legostadt you can use your car and park it in the park station or you go by bus:

dsc00728.jpgdsc00693.jpg

But upposably the fastest vehicles - because of the heavy traffic inside the city - are the bicycle and the skateboard:

dsc00726.jpgdsc00692.jpg

But where does all the energy for Legostadt come from?! Right, from the wind turbine - green energy! For tranpsorting it a special tranport vehicle is needed:

dsc00730.jpgdsc00725.jpg

Some more pics can be found in this folder (when public) of my BS gallery.

I hope you liked it. Comments are welcome! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Finally! Some pictures :sweet:

That's a nice collection of sets you have (I also own a lot of 'em, especially the newer ones). I like the little scenes you've set up throughout your town and all the trees (must be very healthy air in your Legostadt). If you'd like to expand I suggest doing it to the left side of the park and maybe replace the lower-left curve with a T-junction (otherwise it is just a rather pointless drive around the park).

You have a great collection Klaus!

Your park is looking excellent, and your addition of few 'undesirable characters' really tops it off. Nice design for the 'compacter', that your Pot Hole Crew are using aswell, I hope your LegoStadt continues to grow!

seven cops in riot gear vs. seven peaceful protestors? what a damn police state!

other than that, it's a rather nice town, it's missing some houses to live in though

I really liked your design previously, but the pictures go to show that it is much better when built. I especially like all the little scenes you set up with figures. I liked the ones TLC put in their mini-catalogs in the 80s/90s and tried to make my own. Your construction scenes are particularly nice. Looks like the wind turbine transport would have a bit of difficulty driving through the city! I've seen big trucks like those try to drive in downtown areas in real life. It's kind of comical and the drivers' ability to do it safely is very impressive.

I have a somewhat off-topic question: is your Main Street the 10041 Legend version? And if so, did it come with the pigtailed black female hair and parts to complete the hotel? I would look it up on Peeron, but it's down right now. I am heavily considering buying it.