Sign in to follow this  
martinsuper

MOC Fort St Kendra

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 79c

Hello again. I feel I get to present my first somewhat "serious" MOC, FINALLY!

This is Fort St Kendra! I know there isn't a St Kendra. My fiance said I should name it after her because she had to put up with me while I was building this. So she gets the name on this one.

This fort will be at the channel mouth of my port. The fort will be on one side, and the lighthouse on the other. As you can see, unlike some forts, this one does not have quarters, cabins, or other sleeping areas. It is strickly a gun emplacement, and the fort crews change every 8 hours on a rotational basis. The cabins will be in the port, somewhere safer. Also notice that every cannon area has its own officer and can run idependently of the others.

Without further adeu, let me show some pics, and give brief descriptions.

3548780406_6c00d3cdc2_b.jpg

Side View or Channel side view.

3547970579_73b9726d45_b.jpg

Sea Wall side view.

3548780696_5ef3eb9346_b.jpg

Crane View

3548780826_e9facd3c39_b.jpg

Front View

3547971039_99351ddbe0_b.jpg

Command Area

3547971293_a6b078ff62_b.jpg

Crane, yes the basic design is stolen from Soldier's Fort, but I liked it. The crane will reach the dock that will be behind the fort, and it can reach every level.

3547971627_da0c6402e0_b.jpg

Comparison shot.

3547971847_d588b89927_b.jpg

So, this is what was in my mind and needed to get out. Honestly, is this good enough to bring to brickworld? I know we need more pirate displays, I just didn't know if this was good enough.

Furthermore, after brickworld, I am going to take this apart. Instead of one fortress on a 48X48 plate, I am going to make this into a fortress/sea wall, that is built over three 32x32 plates instead. The main reason is to get the triple tear design like this, you lose A LOT of common bricks inside. I was almost sucked dry of 2X4 bricks for this project.

-Super :pir_laugh2:

Ok, I just realized I didn't post this in the MOC forum, can someone move this for me?

Looks great!

Any reason you went with the old western cannons? I know you must have plenty of the new ones from the cannon battle sets.

I like the overall design and look of he fort. Especially all the different levels to it.

Any reason you went with the old western cannons? I know you must have plenty of the new ones from the cannon battle sets.

Yeah, most of my cannon is at my parents house where I have my actual display setup. I plan on going with the old style cannon for the whole fort. I wanted to use blue bases for all my cannons, but I only have three and ordered a few more. They are hard to come by.

-Super

Yeah, most of my cannon is at my parents house where I have my actual display setup. I plan on going with the old style cannon for the whole fort. I wanted to use blue bases for all my cannons, but I only have three and ordered a few more. They are hard to come by.

-Super

That they are....

Looks great!

YaY! A large bluecoat fortress! And it is really blue... :pir_laugh2::pir-tongue::thumbup:

It looks great with all the cannons and different heights. Not something where a Redcoat ship would pass by easily... :pir-grin:

I see a lot of details on it, and that's always a good thing! :thumbup:

Now am I eager to see that lighthouse you spoke about!! :pir-wub:

Yeah! Bluecoats power :pir_laugh2: Great fort! looks very strong, I think the enemy will never even try to take this fort, they will run away immediately :pir_laugh2: I also like the cannons and I think the crane is very useful too, in a fort like this. Your thoughts about a new fort are also very promising after this one.

Hey again Martin!

Wow, what a great fort!

I'm not a Pirates fan, but this is great!

~A.S.

WOW Martin -

That is a truely impossing fortification not to mention a lot of sloped bricks! Great job (for Bluecoats :wink: ). I love the massive wall but It feels like it needs something to break it up a little...some vine or greenery or maybe a few small openings for a few cannons to stick out of as you don't really have any guns to provide much cover on that side. Really unique design. Great MOC.

Nice Job, super! (of course, you cant expect THAT much from bluecoats) You beat me to building a sloped fortress, guess I'll have to build one that's more formidable...

That will be pretty hard...

I love the massive wall but It feels like it needs something to break it up a little...some vine or greenery or maybe a few small openings for a few cannons to stick out of as you don't really have any guns to provide much cover on that side.

Thats one of the reasons Im going to break it up. Because if I dont make the sidewall that big, then there won't be enough "room" on the baseplate for a third floor. My new design will look like this.

3550647909_56e878e1c5_o.jpg

So, this new fort design will still have gun emplacements, but it will also be a seawall to cover the harbor. It will also no longer have a third tier, but rather be a two level. The black box is the crane.

I am impressed. Now it is time to stage a battle. By the way, you have a lot of Indy side pouches :oh3::oh:

I am impressed. Now it is time to stage a battle. By the way, you have a lot of Indy side pouches :oh3::oh:

Yeah, thats the difference between my "sailors" and my "marines". I have about 12 now, I hope to have about 40 before the year is over.

nice fort^^ it really looks hard to invade! great job ^^

That looks like an impressive and solid fort, and well built. I'm a little confused with how the slopes are in a checkerboard design, but it still is fine.

Your new plan to improve the fort looks very promising Martin!

I can't wait to see the first update! :thumbup:

You've encouraged me to get thinking on building a fort too...

But first I need my ship finished.

You've encouraged me to get thinking on building a fort too...

But first I need my ship finished.

Your still working on that ship? Any idea when it will be done.

Well done Martin, the layout and the used techniques make this look like a really cool fort! :thumbup:

The blue looks playfull on it, but it's not very accurate i think. Will you do it again on the next version?

Well done martinsuper - lovely MOC! Check the Classic-Pirates.com frontpage tomorrow. :pir-wink:

Are you serious?! Really? To me thats like winning a contest!

Well done Martin, the layout and the used techniques make this look like a really cool fort! :thumbup:

The blue looks playfull on it, but it's not very accurate i think. Will you do it again on the next version?

Yeah, I wanted it to look "playful". I originally wanted to make gun ports, etc... But then I realized that my vision here was to make a "blue fort", so I decided, why not make it blue?!

I know what you are trying to say, and you are 100% right, but I think I like it better this way.

-Super

Looks very good! A sturdy fortress. I presume a port protected by a few of these ones is not a likely target for a Pirate attack!

Looks very good! A sturdy fortress. I presume a port protected by a few of these ones is not a likely target for a Pirate attack!

That and a lot of Harbor Sentrys..... a lot.

Your still working on that ship? Any idea when it will be done.

The Formidable only needs her ratlines, then it's finished. Meanwhile I've started working on the Fourageux, which I try to finish faster.

There is not really a start date for the Le Formidable, the ship started with 2 midsections 3 years ago and I've expanded it and expanded it...

I'm looking forward to your next fortress Martin! This one already looks great. :pir-blush:

I agree with Captain Green Hair though about the blue, it looks very playfull but not really realistic in my opinion.

But that can also just be a matter of a person's taste. :pir-wink:

Personaly I find the colours a little weird (referring to blue) but overall great build. Keep it up.

Personaly I find the colours a little weird (referring to blue) but overall great build. Keep it up.

You are a dog with a peg leg and a pirate hat... and I'm the wierd one?! :pir-tongue:

I just wanted it to look really blue... I could make it look more realistic, but hey, this is LEGO!