Sign in to follow this  
Galaxy Explorer

EBCTC: Downtown

Hello everyone, here is my Classic Town Entry- Downtown. I designed this "set" as a companion to my all time favorite set, Main Street. Even though modern elements are allowed in the contest, I took it as a challenge to use "period specific" parts. The yellow building is an apartment complex with a leasing office and market on the first floor. The black building is a TV news tower. In between the two buildings is a sidewalk cafe and bus stop.

downtown.jpg

There are three vehicles in Downtown: a city bus, a TV camera truck, and a news chopper. The bus uses the classic airplane-style boarding system. The chopper is actually a re-tooled version of a police helicopter from a 1980's idea book.

downtown_vehicles.jpg

Here is a close up of the sidewalk cafe with the bus stop in the background.

sidewalk_cafe.jpg

Thanks everyone for looking, it was a lot of fun creating this entry. For more photos (there are nice interiors in the buildings) you can see my brickshelf folder. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=382754

Excellent entry! I really appreciate you using only "period-specific" parts. The outcome is excellent. I like how your vehicles enhance the action of the set so well. That TV crew truck is classic and I really like the throwback style of the hinged roof bus. I like the TV station better than the other building. I think just because it has more detail than the yellow building. I never liked the yellow buildings anyway, so it's probably more of a personal taste on my part, but there does seem to be a little element of detail missing. Even the more simple buildings from this period had something like arches or ledges to separate floors. But, that's being really picky on an excellent MOC. I really love the idea of a TV station. If I saw a TV station in a catalog when I was a kid I would've flipped out. Excellent work and best of luck in the contest. Your entry is a pure joy! :sweet:

Galaxy Explorer, you made it just in time. :thumbup:

I am going to take note of this entry right now, and will add more comments later once I had sorted some of my stuff. :blush:

Edit: Outstanding detailed entry. You have certainly done a marvelous one for this last minute appearance. The TV Station tower is a added bonus in this contest. Very unique and classic at the same time. I love it. There are so much detail at the interior and the bus is just so lovely. I love the opening mechanism.

By the way, this entry is featured in Classic-Town.net. More thought later on. :classic:

Edited by WhiteFang

A very nice entry! I especially like all the detail there is floating around: the cafe, the tv crews, and all the great rooms inside the buildings. Both buildings are quite pleasing from the outside as well, although the yellow one is a bit plain compared to the magnificent tv tower building.

Great job, good luck in the contest!

Wow, what an amazing job! I really love how you've used periodic bricks as well as how you've created the city bus! Good luck and a great entry. :wub:

With a name like Galaxy Explorer, I would expect nothing less than this terrific entry. Your scene is packed with details and with the high rise building, it makes a very unique entry that stands out like Svelte Corps Chocomel Factory. I like the colors (classic police style), as well as that fantastic bus.

Overall, an excellent addition to the contest. Judging will be difficult with all these terrific entries. :thumbup:

That's an awesome entry, Galaxy Explorer! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

The architecture of the two buildings is brilliant as does the choice of minifigs, cars and accessory! The interior of the buildings is absolutely perfect since you did the best with the aim to only use classic elements and the very small place! :oh:

If the buildings wouldn't be that big (which I really like) it could well be an official Lego set and then I really would buy it! :wink:

Only one suggestions: I'd add one more seat to your bus stop and place the street map not on the bench.

Otherwise it's perfect!

The most I like that you built buildings with many floors and great interiors, the market is brilliant, the snackbar, too, the camera van and the bus look superb and the TV tower (with many rooms, a very small but fair news studio and even a garage for the camera van) is excellent, too. A great idea to bring back the TV theme which never got a real chance :sad: ! :thumbup:

Btw: Your great bus would even make well as a broadcast van for the TV group! :wink:

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

And btw: I'm very late but nevertheless: Welcome to EB, Galaxy Explorer! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Welcome to Eurobricks and - WOW - what a way to make an entrance! I don't think this one has any competition in terms of sheer size and it's also one of the most detailed entries too... Good luck for the contest and I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your MOCs!

The Camera Van and the helicopter look really nice, and so does the big black building.

Your "Downtown" is :thumbup:

Very classic and very great! Even if you'd had only created the TV-part of your moc it would have been a terrific set! :thumbup:

Hey thanks everyone for such a warm reception- I am truly flattered by all the comments, and am getting inspired to go MOC crazy!! Even though my entry is final, I will heed the advice of a few members and tweek Downtown a bit- one thing I still want to do is install a garage door to the news tower (don't have any black door track parts ..yet) Again, many thanks!