Sign in to follow this  
snefroe

Pirate Figures and Set Names

i was browsing thru my 1990 catalog when my eye caught this pirate fortress called Eldorado... However, the text underneath the set didn't mention Eldorado at all... Instead, it said "Koningsburg", translated in English that's "King's keep"; for the french speaking public in Belgium it's "Mont Royal", which is the French translation for the Dutch title... It's weird tho, because "Eldorado" is a well known name in these parts of the country...

the Barracuda pirate ship doesn't exist in Belgium either. It's "Norse Haai", or, "Bad-tempered Shark" ...

So i was just wondering what the official titles of these sets are in the rest of the world...

Ahhhhhhhh Count Sneffy, I've noticed this too...

Here's some names in German

Governor Broadside = Gouvernuer Grootzeil

Captan Roger/Red Beard = Kapitein Knoest

And since I don't know much German I have no idea Grootzeil or Knoest mean, but the Gouvernuer and Kapitein are pretty obvious...

Ahhhhhhhh Count Sneffy, I've noticed this too...

Here's some names in German

Governor Broadside = Gouvernuer Grootzeil

Captan Roger/Red Beard = Kapitein Knoest

And since I don't know much German I have no idea Grootzeil or Knoest mean, but the Gouvernuer and Kapitein are pretty obvious...

THIS is supposed to be German???

I AM German, and this doesn't sound like German words for me... :/

THIS is supposed to be German???

I AM German, and this doesn't sound like German words for me... :/

Sounds dutch to me...

Sounds? You can hear written words Hobbes? Well you're probably right. Where's our Dutch translator?

My mind makes them audible.

According to WorldLingo "Grootzeil" means "sail" and "Knoest" seems to be just a name.

Where's our Dutch translator?

you rang mylord?

Gouverneur Grootzeil is Dutch and means "Large Sail"

Kapitein Knoest is also Dutch. It means: Captain "gnarl"

Ahhhhhhh excellent count Sneffy. I've always wondered about those names.

I have a few more names in other languages but I'll post them later.

Some UK mags called the SES the Dark Shark... a name I much prefer!

Without further ado I'm back and will begin erasing Pheses from last to post in topics from here up; )

God Bless,

Nathan

Haaa! Haa! Your good work has been undone Mr Norro! Despite my condition I have managed to rectify this for the time being.

Anyhow, the UK and Australia had different names to that of Northern America for all the pirate sets -excluding the promotional sets available only to Norther America that is... For example, The Imperial Trading Post was Port Royal and Rock Island Refuge was Port Jamacia. Shall I go on?

Anyhow, the UK and Australia had different names to that of Northern America for all the pirate sets -excluding the promotional sets available only to Norther America that is... For example, The Imperial Trading Post was Port Royal and Rock Island Refuge was Port Jamacia. Shall I go on?

Was the comic appropriately adjusted?

God Bless,

Nathan

This I am uncertain of. I don't ever recall seeing a copy of the comic in stores and since I got mine off eBay it could have originated from anywhere in the world.

This I am uncertain of. I don't ever recall seeing a copy of the comic in stores and since I got mine off eBay it could have originated from anywhere in the world.

Mine said Port Royal but I can't remember where I got that either...

God Bless,

Nathan

Your what said "Port Royal"? Your comic or your catalogue or something else?

Eldorado Fortress was known as "Fort Sabre" in the UK and Australia.

Your what said "Port Royal"? Your comic or your catalogue or something else?

Eldorado Fortress was known as "Fort Sabre" in the UK and Australia.

comic... I have mags for all the names.

God Bless,

Nathan

In Polish version of 1992's catalogue Black Seas Barracuda was called "Dark Shark" and Imperial Flagship was "Sea Lion". Those names were in English, not translated into Polish, and they were the same as UK names. Rock Island Refuge was called "przysta

Thanks for that insight. Phes: as to mags I mean the small ones that came in the sets and the 1/2 sized ones available at store and released once or twice a year...

God Bless,

Nathan

Now that I think of it I guess the reason why Red Beard Runner didn't have any name in Poland is because AFAIK the name Captain Red Beard was never mentioned in Polish catalogues - he was called Roger instead (as in many other countries).

Mine said Port Royal but I can't remember where I got that either...

I've just looked [very quickly mind you] at my Pirate comic and there is no mention of Port Royal in there whatsoever. What page mentions/references Port Royal in your comic Mr Norro?

Well the french names were always desccriptive. It was "the ship of the pirates", "the governor's ship", and so on. No mention of any name. This way you could create yours *skull*

Well the french names were always desccriptive. It was "the ship of the pirates", "the governor's ship", and so on. No mention of any name. This way you could create yours *skull*

That's cool.

In Canada, the names are essentially the same as our American counterparts. Even the French names (which I cannot speak, mind you), translate into roughly the North American equivalent. For example, the Black Seas Barracuda is "Barracuda de la Mer Noire", and the Elderado Fortress is the "Forteresse Eldorado". I suppose that only makes sense, as it might confuse children who are bilingual.

Later.