Set info:

Name:Squidman Escape

Set: 5969

Theme: Space Police (III)

Year: 2009

Pieces: 42

Minifigs: 2

Price: $6.99 USD

Here's a picture of the front of the box.

3544423525_0e4ac89166.jpg

And here's the back

3545231132_fdb07111f1.jpg

Here's the bags of parts

3545231060_11282d66c9.jpg

Here's all the parts

3545231332_35a9410012.jpg

Random page pic

3545231638_0e07f747fa.jpg

The Minifigs

3544423569_9088358368.jpg

I find it interesting that the Squidman has a decorated back since he has a cape hiding it :laugh: (Sorry for the not great photo) :look:

3545231264_8054f03241.jpg

The ship, I rarely put the stickers on my models, so you see it plain

3544424119_0fe6f0c03d.jpg

3545231850_0b0b3ae43e.jpg

3545231930_5ac89b9dfa.jpg

Here's what the stickers look like

3544424515_e1226ff143.jpg

The back of the instructions has a parts list

3544423885_6876e754ed.jpg

I really like this picture in the back

3545230996_abedd277e7.jpg

Here's the extra parts

3544423545_a83d0c929f.jpg

As soon as I saw the alien head, I thought it would look better like this

3544476439_da1626e74d.jpg

I just need to perfect the connection

3545284904_951e6cdc1e.jpg

Overall, the set is okay. Mainly I just wanted the alien. The vehicle is kind of boring, especially without the stickers. But I generally don't use the stickers because then I can't use the part for something else. :yoda: After seeing several of the sets at Toys "R" Us, I'm not too impressed with the vehicles, but I really like the aliens. :wink:

Thanks for the lovely review, Mariann!

P:Squiddy looks great - I didn't realise he had such a toothy, squirming maw :wub: He looks good in your alternate arrangment as well. Honestly though, I'm not sold on the bley head.

The small police thing looks like one of 10186 General Grevious' shoulderpads fell off, but I agree, this line is all about the aliens!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the lovely review, Mariann!

Thanks! Oh I forgot to mention this in my review. I heard from someone who shall remain unnamed that the Squidman alien was actually based off of series of Youtube videos:

, and

Apparently the maker of the videos is a LEGO set designer and created the Squidman. Strange, but true. :grin:

Edited by Mariann Asanuma

Thanks! Oh I forgot to mention this in my review. I heard from someone who shall remain unnamed that the Squidman alien was actually based off of series of Youtube videos:

, and

Apparently the maker of the videos became a LEGO set designer and then created the Squidman. Strange, but true. :grin:

When the videos were made, the creators already were LEGO Designers.

These videos were created because of this initiative: http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=3470

Nice little review! :thumbup:

But 7$ for such a small set? :hmpf_bad:

If it wasn´t the brilliant Squidman I would have passed, but now...

Those videos are hilarious! Thanks for sharing. OK, I'm sold on the bley head and red cape now :laugh:

I wish this set came with a sound chip with those voices.

I wish this set came with a sound chip with those voices.
I'd LOL if they actually put it in the Cop's head and it could still fit :laugh:

Also, Stop watching Masterchef! (I assume that's where you get your food ideas for Murder On The Emerald Express) Trashcat is NOT amused!

Goodbye...

*The one dissing Masterchef again*

Hail Trashcat!!!

Edited by YG-49

Also, Stop watching Masterchef! (I assume that's where you get your food ideas for Murder On The Emerald Express) Trashcat is NOT amused!

Haha, I'm watching it even as I type!

But no, that's not where my menu comes from. Wait to see what I have planned! :devil:

Seriously though, more sound chips would be cool. Last year's Agents siren was a bit annoying. And the Monster Dino was a bit B-Movie. It'd be nice to have something offbeat, like alien gargling! :laugh:

thanks for the great review, I'll be picking this up . . . . If it comes to Poland :/

Does anyone know if it will?

Haha, I'm watching it even as I type!

But no, that's not where my menu comes from. Wait to see what I have planned!

If you are then you know that Matt's about to unveil his score! :tongue:

Good review, I've been waiting for this review, Nice Mollusk Menace alternate

Goodbye...

*The Unveiler*

I love Squidman! He is my favorite alien right now. The set have really good parts: Money, Black Cheese Slopes

Funny idea with head and nice review Mariann!

I like this set, a bit expensive though. Probably going to pick it up anyway if it ever gets here.

Thanks for the review, Mariann, this made up my mind whether I want to buy this or not. :grin:

And that answer is most likely "yes".

The vehicle is pretty mundane, so I guess I'd be paying $6.99+tax just for Squidman, which is a pretty terrible value... sadly, I think I may end up doing that anyway. :grin:

Thanks for the nice review. It's very good for your first attempt. :thumbup:

Honestly, this kit may not be very big, but I like everything about it. The figures are awesome, and I actually like the little space speeder. I unfortunately may not invest much in Space Police due to my limited budget, but I'll be sure to pick up the smallest two sets. :wink:

Nice little review! :thumbup:

But 7$ for such a small set? :hmpf_bad:

If it wasn´t the brilliant Squidman I would have passed, but now...

If she got it where I think she got it (aka TRU), then I wouldn't worry. ToysRUs has jacked up almost all the prices of their lego sets extensively, and the smallest ones suffer the most. I suspect that this set won't be more than 5 dollars in other stores. :wink:

This is a fun set. The vehicle isn't incredible, but I think that has to do with the lack of stickers. It's a pretty neat idea and I'll probably pick it up. The bigger sets in the theme definitely had the best vehicles; can't wait to see some of those reviewed.

Good review!

If she got it where I think she got it (aka TRU), then I wouldn't worry. ToysRUs has jacked up almost all the prices of their lego sets extensively, and the smallest ones suffer the most. I suspect that this set won't be more than 5 dollars in other stores. :wink:

At Toy Fair it was listed as MSRP $5.99.

Yeah, it's only seven bucks at TRU. That's why I don't buy my LEGO there.

I did get it at TRU. I know that they overprice the sets, but I saw it and really liked the alien so I decided to get it anyways. :monkey:

I did get it at TRU. I know that they overprice the sets, but I saw it and really liked the alien so I decided to get it anyways. :monkey:

I guess it's not that bad of a price for two minifigs and a small ship. :thumbup:

Squidman is probably my favorite alien. This might be worth getting just for him.

Squidman is probably my favorite alien. This might be worth getting just for him.

You mean multiples right?

I want a family of Squid...people. :tongue:

Thanks for the review Mariann!

I actually quite like this little set. The ship is nothing to write home about, but it is a nice cute little thing with good parts. The figs are great though, love the Space Police fig and I can't get enough of that awesome Squidface! Tied with the evil twins, he's my favourite alien. I'll definitely get two of this set. Plus I get a $100 note, I need more of those too.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Wow. What a lovely little set.

I'm really excited for this theme.

Which sucks for me.....because I'm English. Nice one, TLG :D

And even if these sets get put on S@H, I still would more than likely not be able to get any of them, as I can't shop online =[

Anyway, misery dwelling over; nice review! and congratulations on getting this set so early, and bagging the first review!

Will/Rocketbilly

Thanks for the review. :classic: I can't say that I actually "like" this set, but I love noth of the minifigs. Squidy has a wonderful new head mold and torso print, and I like the new minifigure head with glasses (or is it just a re-use of one of the Agents?). The speeder isn't bad, but it's not much, either. I'll be getting this for the figs and discard the pieces into my bucket.