Sign in to follow this  
Eilif

MOC: Lenderson Lighthouse

Here's my latest structure for Brickington. The previous lighthouse was nice, but had very little ornamentation, and was quite fragile. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/PepaQuin...08/img_8242.jpg This latest lighthouse is heavily influenced by Chicago industrial architecture. Before the pictures, here's the latest installment of the Brickington story.

The Brickington lighthouse is a bit of an oddity. Deigned by Lenderson and Associates, and built in the 1920's, it drew much more on ornate (and expensive) urban architecture than the plain style of lighthouse favored by other rural islands and seaside towns. In actuality, the Brickington Lighthouse is the result of a long running rivalry between Brickington island it's sister island Stutenbloken. The friendly competition has existed for almost 100 years as the two islands vie for businesses, resources, and tourists. In actual fact, in the present tourism-based economy, the two Islands are dependent on each other, as most visitors to one island will visit the other during the course of their trip. The rivalry continues, but 80 years later, Brickington still has the more impressive lighthouse.

Now for the pics.

Here's the entryway from the shore. the walkway exits onto the airport boardwalk. The black grating faces the shore directly.

lighthouse_approach.jpg

Here's a closeup of the first two floors. The doors are notable in that the earlier style of 4x6x1 door frame has two sets of mounting points so a regular door and security gate can exist in the same frame.

lighthosue_close.jpg

The view from the sea

lighthouse_seaside.jpg

Full view

lighthouse_harborside.jpg

The Top. This is the only architectural detail to survive from my original model.

lighthouse_top.jpg

As always, the lighthouse is built in 16x16 stud modular style. Though not separate here, the ground floor is a separate module as well.

lighthouse_modules.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Edited by TheBrickster

Awww that's absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Finally, a LEGO lighthouse which doesn't look like it's going to fall apart the next time a wave hits it (like most "official" lighthouses down the years). The padlock on the front door has got me thinking how this wonderful MOC could be put to good use in one of Brickster's murder mystery stories... It could get very, very noir - and the atmosphere which this one oozes is perfect for that :thumbup:

Eilif, your town's looking better by the day! Especially when comparing "old" to "new", it's great to see that you haven't just opted to rest on your laurels and kept on pushing. Love what you're doing to Brickington, keep up the good work :)

Amazing Lighthouse, really! :cry_happy: Wonderfully detailed everywhere and as The Otters say with a nice and solid looking :thumbup:

Amazing Lighthouse, really! :cry_happy: Wonderfully detailed everywhere and as The Otters say with a nice and solid looking :thumbup:

Thanks! I was trying to make it look substantial, and I'm very pleased to see that it has carried through.

Awww that's absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Finally, a LEGO lighthouse which doesn't look like it's going to fall apart the next time a wave hits it (like most "official" lighthouses down the years). The padlock on the front door has got me thinking how this wonderful MOC could be put to good use in one of Brickster's murder mystery stories... It could get very, very noir - and the atmosphere which this one oozes is perfect for that :thumbup:

Eilif, your town's looking better by the day! Especially when comparing "old" to "new", it's great to see that you haven't just opted to rest on your laurels and kept on pushing. Love what you're doing to Brickington, keep up the good work :)

Thanks for the high praise! I'm doing my best not to let Brickington get stagnant.

Now that you mention it, it does look quite noir. Perhaps I should place a mysterious mustachioed man in one of the doorways... I'm just sad that I used up all my padlock tiles on this one model. :sad:

Edited by Eilif

I love the little "base" house as well as the stairs leading up to it :wub:

Excellent job!

Looks amazing! And it's modular too!

The combination of colours is very good.

Awesome lighthouse you've got there. I spotted something that I find a bit weird though - the fence piece in front of the ladder. It would make using that ladder rather difficult.

How high is it?

That's a very nice lighthouse, I love it! my prefered part are the stairs! great job!

Looks amazing! And it's modular too!

Thanks! The top section is 8x8 modular, so hypothetically it can be placed on top of the other 8x8 or 8x16 sections on my layout.

Awesome lighthouse you've got there. I spotted something that I find a bit weird though - the fence piece in front of the ladder. It would make using that ladder rather difficult.

How high is it?

The ladder is an emergency ladder, they likes of which are pretty common on seawalls. Since it's for emergencies it doesn't have the same access as a regular ladder.

I think it's about 57 studs tall from sea to the top of the lighthouse.

That's a great MOC, Eilif! :thumbup:

I really like it!

The idea and outcome are both perfect! The color scheme is great and the architecture is great, too. The mosaics and flowers are a nice additions.

Only two suggestion: I'd add some more foliage plants and would replace the brick-built windows by real ones.

Otherwise it's very nice!

The most I like the mosaics and the top of the lighthouse.

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

This lighthouse is really a great building. Ideal to warn ships if they get too close to the shore. Maybe you could install a light. A 9V light brick could be used.... maybe such a light brick isn't big enough for such an enormous and wonderful building. But having a working light in there would be great!

What did you use as a base? From what set is that baseplate you constructed the lighthouse on?

That's a great MOC, Eilif! :thumbup:

I really like it!

The idea and outcome are both perfect! The color scheme is great and the architecture is great, too. The mosaics and flowers are a nice additions.

Only two suggestion: I'd add some more foliage plants and would replace the brick-built windows by real ones.

Otherwise it's very nice!

The most I like the mosaics and the top of the lighthouse.

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks Klaus, I'll look at new ways to add foliage. As for the windows, they are supposed to represent block glass, but maybe I can turn the 1x2 bricks I am using sideways to make them look more blocky.

This lighthouse is really a great building. Ideal to warn ships if they get too close to the shore. Maybe you could install a light. A 9V light brick could be used.... maybe such a light brick isn't big enough for such an enormous and wonderful building. But having a working light in there would be great!

What did you use as a base? From what set is that baseplate you constructed the lighthouse on?

A light is a good idea, I'm considering getting one of the LEGO light accessories or a lifelites pack. Hiding the battry box would require drilling a few holes in a couple 2x2 round bricks and 8x8 plates, but if I decide to add a light, it would probably be worth it.

The baseplate is this piece.

51542.jpg

and is found in gray in the hospital and police set from a couple years ago, and in dark tan in the Temple of the Crystal Skull.

I love how you used the baseplate with the water, I have never seen anything like this done before. This is also very tall- perfect to warn ships and a perfect MOC.

You perfectly captured the feel and look a lighthouse here. I see you used some nice techniques that really improve the Moc in many ways. Overall, nice job. :classic:

Fantastic lighthouse Eilif. I've always been a huge fan of lighthouses and have never been able to build anything good out of Lego (must be the "square pieces").

I like how you created the vertical modular construction allowing one to stack the sections. The colors are excellent, and there's a lot of very nice details, esp. the base.

That Fresnel lense (probably something more modern now) looks very good. It needs some old sailor figs to top it off, the kind with the dusty navy blue pea coats.

Great job! :thumbup: