traintech1.jpg

01-7710.jpg_thumb.jpg

Name: Push-Along Passenger Steam Train

Set No.: 7710

Theme: LEGO / SYSTEM / Trains / 12v / Train Set

Year: 1980

Pieces: 427

Minifigs: 5

Price (when it was in stores): USD 40.00$ (which equals about EUR 37€)

Price nowadays (2d hand): USD 90.00$ (which equals about EUR 80€)

7710.jpg

This was the first train to begin your fabulous layout (well in my case then :tongue: ). There's a little circle of track included for a nice play for children. At least you have to begin with something. There's a nice little station where minifigs can get on or get off the train. The colors of the doors in the wagons are loved by people who want to make real dutch trainmodels, that's why this set is a bit expensive nowadays.

You can make a second model of this train, if you get tired to look at the first model. Only the wagons are a bit different, the steam engine stays the same.

011.jpg

This is my first legotrainset, I got it as a birthdaypresent when I was a child. It took 2 years later when this motor was added.

7865-1.jpg

Great to have those connecting rods on the wheels, gives a more realistic view of the train.

I´ve played so many times with this train, one 12 motor is worn off. That´s why I dediced to look for a red 12v motor instead. The wheels are red (more realistic with rust) orginally, so a red 12v motor looks better and more orginal.

a_-_great_shot_7710.jpg_thumb.jpg

Click on pic for bigger one

Take a careful look at the driver, he wears bandana so he won't get a cold when working all day in this train.

a_-_right_side_7710.jpg_thumb.jpg

a_-_left_side_7710.jpg_thumb.jpg

And a look inside the wagons:

b_-_inner_view_7710.jpg_thumb.jpg

As written before, this is my first legotrain and I'm very proud on this one. With the red 12v motor is looks almost like orginal and it's always a great sight to see this train running on my layout. I don't know how much km's it has run, but I guess it's a lot. One 12v motor is worn off........... The upper front light really works, only I had to modifiy a plate for getting a wire through it.

Playability: 8/10 (With 5 minifigs, a great playability. And you can and a 4,5v/12v/9v motor very easily.)

Design: 6/10 (It look realistic, but I miss a little tender behind it. The wagons are great.)

Price: 7/10 (Beacuse of the colors of the wagons it can a bit expensive, but it's worth every penny :classic: )

Overall: 7/10 (For beginner is a nice train to start with. And you can add which motor you want.)

This was my first review here and I hope you enjoyed it and complete enough. I have it keep it a bit sort, otherwise you might get boring to read it. And a question: how can I add a poll at this review?

Edited by AFOL12v

Thanks for this nice review! It is a great train. However, I don't like the second version you can build with it. The waggons look too simple.

Has the yellow of the waggon doors always been like that or has it faded?

I think you yourself can't add a poll yet. I think you're able to do it when you're a knight. One of the moderators will surely help you.

Nice review.

The set looks okay, but I certanly wont buy it on Ebay.

Nice review Panda. These trains are quite nicely built. I myself own the 7715, which is kinda similar (especially the wagons), but with the red and blue color scheme.

One question though. I can remember having a sticker-sheet with all kind of rail companies from the 7715. Why putting on our "Neighbours" stickers (DB) and not that of the NS (blue and yellow, like you mention)?

Anyway, again thank you for the nice review. In your layout are quite some exotic sets I would love to see reviews of. So I am looking forward to some more reviews of you!

The 7710 was also my first and only train set! I really love it and it was a pleasure rebuilding it last year since a long time since I lost the building instructions :classic:

What a fantastic set Panda. Thank you for sharing a review. This little classic definately deserves a BLOG!

Nice review, but I'd love to see some additional images of the train cars and engine, esp. the interior. Do the roofs of the wagons lift off for playability?

I really appreciate the fact that you have a great collection of these 12V classics :wub: . Hope to see more. :thumbup:

Also added to Train Tech.

Yep, the roofs are held on plates, so they are removable.

The bits of mine are in my collection, first lego train I got. Only bad thing was that I also got 107 to motorize it, and that meant that I had difficulities with # of magnets for train cars :)

James

Playability: 8/10 (With 5 minifigs, a great playability. And you can and a 4,5v/12v/9v motor very easily.)

Design: 6/10 (It look realistic, but I miss a little tender behind it. The wagons are great.)

Price: 7/10 (Beacuse of the colors of the wagons it can a bit expensive, but it's worth every penny :classic: )

Overall: 7/10 (For beginner is a nice train to start with. And you can add which motor you want.)

Actually the tender is NOT missing: it is on both sides of the boiler.

You can see for example this photo of a tank engine or this article on Wikipedia.

This type of steam engine was used on commuter trains or other short runs.

(I've noticed this review is three years old, but I've discovered with pleasure! Thanks!)

Edited by Cavannus

Had this train since 6 years old, got it as a Christmas present all those years ago and then bought a boxed PC version a few months back off BL. What can I say? It's a fantastic little set and gave me many fun times. Bought the electric rails, motor and transformer back then to electrify it.. Too bad the transformer started going haywire after a very short time and completely spoiled all the fun. I tested the same transformer just the other day and it's very strange in that it powers the lights ok but it 's output is not constant (it goes really flickery) when increasing/decreasing power. When putting the motor on a track it will stutter and jolt then just stop. If I'm lucky it will travel half a circular track then just stop dead - very annoying.

When putting the motor on a track it will stutter and jolt then just stop. If I'm lucky it will travel half a circular track then just stop dead - very annoying.

You need to clean the track, then it'll run again. An alcohol-based cleaner (or track cleaner from the hobby store) will do

(it's not the dirt that you can see that blocks the electricity; it's the dirt that you can't see that causes the problems. So it

doesn't matter if the track looks clean or not, what matters is that you cleaned it with the right kind of cleaner (regular household

cleaners don't work)).

Edited by hoeij

You need to clean the track, then it'll run again. An alcohol-based cleaner (or track cleaner from the hobby store) will do

(it's not the dirt that you can see that blocks the electricity; it's the dirt that you can't see that causes the problems. So it

doesn't matter if the track looks clean or not, what matters is that you cleaned it with the right kind of cleaner (regular household

cleaners don't work)).

Don't forget to clean the electrical pickups at the bottom of the 12V motor as well.

Regards,

Alain

I find it amazing that way back in the 12v days the steam engines actually had working connecting rods and pistons, but Lego never did this on anything again until the Emerald Night. I guess 12v really was the golden age...

I find it amazing that way back in the 12v days the steam engines actually had working connecting rods and pistons, but Lego never did this on anything again until the Emerald Night. I guess 12v really was the golden age...

If you've never done so, thumb through 7777, the train idea book from 1981. Gold indeed.

Thanks Alainneke and Hoeij I didn't think about this since my track always looked clean on the surface but it must be tricky to know. Methylated spirits should be fine to use I guess right? (I have a large bottle of it downstairs from when we painted)

Edited by Kaila

Thanks for making this review AFOL 12V and for finding it en restarting this post James P. Now these were nice little engines. I own 7715 and love this small set as much as i do my Emerald Night. I wished TLG would reintroduce sets like these.

Thanks Alainneke and Hoeij I didn't think about this since my track always looked clean on the surface but it must be tricky to know. Methylated spirits should be fine to use I guess right? (I have a large bottle of it downstairs from when we painted)

I'm almost certain that this will make the train run well again, but to be sure, let us know how it goes.

If the track is clean (keep cleaning it until no more dirt shows up on the cloth that you use to clean with), and the bottom of the motor too, it may stutter for say five more laps, but after that, it should run perfectly, and not stall anywhere on the track anymore.

This topic is quite old... but... it was my first train, I was just 2.5 years old (my parents knew I wouldn't stick LEGO in my mouth ;)) 5th of December 1982! I also displayed it in my train engine shed at LEGOWorld Zwolle last year!

The train is quite old too. It is the first and only train I bought. I think it costed me around $100 CAD in 1983 from the Hudson Bay Company. It wasn't long before I MOD it to something more North American style. Recently I bought a PF train motor and some tracks. Maybe I should make a baggage car or something to hide the battery. So glad I kept set and box together all these years.

I'm almost certain that this will make the train run well again, but to be sure, let us know how it goes.

If the track is clean (keep cleaning it until no more dirt shows up on the cloth that you use to clean with), and the bottom of the motor too, it may stutter for say five more laps, but after that, it should run perfectly, and not stall anywhere on the track anymore.

Yep thanks again and you guys were totally right, after a metho clean and a few laps it ran reasonably well. I found it odd that after testing my Australia transformer I plugged in and tested a Euro one I recently bought off BL and it ran the motor around the track around 15% faster (this is a rough estimation). That kind of surprised me a bit..

Just wondering - I have 9v sets in storage but am yet to try them, do they require the same level of cleaning/maintenance of the 12v stuff or are they easier to deal with?

Yep thanks again and you guys were totally right, after a metho clean and a few laps it ran reasonably well. I found it odd that after testing my Australia transformer I plugged in and tested a Euro one I recently bought off BL and it ran the motor around the track around 15% faster (this is a rough estimation). That kind of surprised me a bit..

Just wondering - I have 9v sets in storage but am yet to try them, do they require the same level of cleaning/maintenance of the 12v stuff or are they easier to deal with?

From my experience, the 9V tracks don't need as much maintenance as the 12V ones. Most of my tracks were in storage for a couple of years before I started building my layout, and didn't need any cleaning.

If the tracks have lost their shine, you can rub them with a pencil eraser. I've also had success using Silvo (silver polish), but I only recommend that if the tracks are *really* dirty.

Regards,

Alain

This was my first Lego train... i was like 6 or 7yo.

I played with it soooo many times! :laugh:

Then i had also a 12v black motor and some 12v tracks... and then started my passion for 12v lego trains!

I think that it's not a very special train... too simple and colours from the old era... but a good train to start! :wink:

Edited by bumax78