Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

EBCTC: Washington Street

Here is my EBCTC entry: Washington Street

(not sold in the States, due to the depiction of alcohol consumption. :look: )

I tried to use pieces that only appeared in sets before I turned 10. Granted, I failed with the printed safe piece, but I'm pretty sure every other piece in the MOC came out before 1986. Not that I turned 10 in 1986. That would make me old and I'm not. So shut up.

001.jpg

Welcome to Washington Street. Everyone has to visit Washington Street because that's where the LEGOLAND bank is. On pay day, after depositing their checks, friends and family like to meet at the LEGOLAND pub!

002.jpg

The LEGOLAND pub is an excellent neighborhood hangout with an outdoor grill and patio.

003.jpg

Beep! Beep! A rich oil tycoon has come to Washington Street to visit the bank. Luckily, there's plenty of street parking for his sleek convertible.

004.jpg

At the corner of Washington and 1st there's a bus stop. Happy LEGOLAND citizens love public transportation.

005.jpg

A LEGOLAND mail carrier! Don't worry, he won't go postal. He's fully vested in a healthy pension!

006.jpg

This man works at the bank.

007.jpg

Let's look at this man again from a slightly higher angle to take in the classy LEGOLAND architecture. The LEGOLAND bank is a registered landmark, due to it's unique classic architecture.

008.jpg

The LEGOLAND pub is also in a beautiful building. The pub is on the first floor and there's a studio apartment upstairs.

009.jpg

Here's a better shot of the famous outdoor grill.

010.jpg

Whoa! Zipping over to the bank all of a sudden. OK, here we are. The teller's behind the glass with the safe and the oil tycoon is making a deposit.

011.jpg

Now, inexplicably, the oil tycoon is working at the bank and the teller is applying for a loan. :wacko:

012.jpg

Whoa, hello. Now we're back in the pub again. Sheesh. The happy chef also tends bar.

013.jpg

It's sad that a woman so hot is drinking alone...before noon...on a Tuesday.

014.jpg

And this lazy nothing is still asleep in bed.

015.jpg

Oh, oops. We woke her up. :blush:

Enjoy and please feel free to leave feedback! :sweet:

(not sold in the States, due to the depiction of alcohol consumption. :look: )

LOL! :laugh:

Anyway I love it! Very simple & classic. :thumbup::sweet: But to the right of the bench it seems abit bare, Maybe one or two more plants or another bench? Otherwise I really like this [and the randomness! :grin: ]

The inside of the pub is good and simple. :classic:

I like the outside grill too. :thumbup:

And is that a fish tank in that lazy persons appartment?

Also that Oil Tycoon looks alot like Batbricks character in Murder on the Emerald Express :look::tongue:

Lovely entry, but doesn't it violate the maximum of 3 pics rule?

Or does that not count for staff entries? :laugh:

Lovely entry, but doesn't it violate the maximum of 3 pics rule?

Or does that not count for staff entries? :laugh:

Staff can do whatever they want. I think... :blush:

I was expecting more entries like this in the competition, in the sense that it looks like it could have been released by LEGO in the 1980s. Very nicely done street scene. Lovely buildings that look classic townish yet realistic. I hope LEGO continues its 'City Life' subtheme with sets like this: the EBCTC should be a great source of inspiration to the company.

Staff can do whatever they want. I think... :blush:

huh, cheater. Take

! (your oil tycoon featured there? Thought I saw him @ 3:52... )

Nice job though, oldtimer :tongue::grin:

Awesome stuff, very classic looking.

I always knew they were a bit backwards in Washington Street though, the people at the bus stop sit with their backs towards the street, so they sort of have to guess when the bus is coming ;)

Nice entry! And nice printed background BTW :thumbup: The design is simple but so classic looking. Good luck for the contest! :wink:

Woo hoo, finally, I am able to see Hinckley's entry in the Staff Category. I did specify the rules though, but I guess you are too busy to notice that. :hmpf_bad:

However, I will like to commend you for your efforts and time for participating in this contest. Your entry is indeed very nice and I expect nothing less from you. The building structure is very nicely done and awesome with those classic colors combinations and windows. The interior is simple and yet so classic. I didn't know the Chef is the one whom deals the pub. :tongue:

Love this entry of yours, and this has been featured in Classic-Town.net.

Awesome job! Very realistic MOC since you only used pre-1986 pieces!

Love the bank idea!

Great work there Hinckley!

At the beginning, when I first saw the buildings from the front, they looked too thin to me, (like in some western films movies structures representing a main street), but looking at the back-interior photos, I can say that is just the size for an '80s building (imagination-one of the main elements of the '80s LEGO world in my opinion.)

The details inside the buildings are great, especially the pub.The classic feeling is allover the place. God I miss the old trees... :blush:

I REALLY like the car :wub: , it's just classic! :cry_happy:

Btw, you haven't used a light for the front of the bicycle. That't not classic, that's prehistoric. :grin:

Great entry! :thumbup:

Excellent entry Hinck. This is one of my favorites of those shared. I really like the Classic Town look about it, and the figs you added look fantastic. Both buildings are equally nice, but I think I like the blue one the best. It looks like something right out of a Lego idea book.

Overall, very good! :thumbup: and an entry that could possibly take down "1979". :cry_sad:

Dear Hinckley,

I really love this entry. :wub:

It has 70s and early 80s written all over it. :thumbup:

Kind regards,

Teddy

I like it. If they would release it to the States in 1987, the pub would have to be changed to a soda shop (although it would remain very much the same), and the set would most likely have be a LEGO Shop at Home catalog exclusive.

I certainly like this moc, because of its simplicity and colors, which give it a real early-80ies look. On your first picture the buildings look too flat though, as if they are only theatrical backgrounds, instead of being 6 studs deep. Maybe you could have better taken that picture from an angle,I mean, a bit more from aside.

The interiors are lovely I think, especially the bank counter. :thumbup:

And almost no post '86 elements as mentioned before (except for that fish bowl, which dates from not earlier than '92 and the vault door which isn't produced earlier than '96), very pure, that contributes a lot to the real classic look and feel.

And yet, there is something that isn't classic to my opinion, but I couldn't point it out at first sight. It's so smooth that it's easily overlooked: the gutters and windowsill, they have a studless finishing!

(except for that fish bowl, which dates from not earlier than '92 and the vault door which isn't produced earlier than '96),

Incorrect :tongue:

But thanks for the challenge. :wink:

yes, but is it solid stud? Great entry, I really see the 'classic' in it.

I have one that's solid stud, it's just yellowed. Either way it's a trans-clear mini-fig head... :tongue: '92 was the year they started making hollow stud, so you couldn't hold liquids in your mini-fig heads anymore. :sadnew:

That's an awesome entry, Hinckley! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

The architecture of the two buildings is brilliant as does the choice of minifigs and accessory!

It could well be an official Lego set and then I really would buy it! :wink:

Only two suggestions: I'd add a second floor to the bank since now it looks a bit flat and two floors would even offer more room so that you can have the room where people get their money downstairs and an office upstairs. That's what I don't like that much - namely that counter and office are in one and the same room plus the counter looks imo a bit seldom. But that's like already said perhaps only my opinion.

Otherwise it's perfect!

The most I like the architecture of both buildings, the lovely interior of the restaurant, the black car and the classic trees.

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Your proof is solid as a stud. :blush:

:laugh: :laugh: :tongue: Too true.

Nice layout, Hinck! :thumbup:

Ok, ok, we won´t call you old when you can hear us :look::grin:

...although you are kinda old... :tongue:

Great! Another Smartass Swede! :hmpf_bad:

:tongue:

That's an awesome entry, Hinckley! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

...That's what I don't like that much - namely that counter and office are in one and the same room plus the counter looks imo a bit seldom. But that's like already said perhaps only my opinion.

Otherwise it's perfect!...

Thank you very much Klaus! I actually did that on purpose with the bare bones interior. I used to get so excited to see what was inside the buildings when I was a kid. Of course, the result was always a bit disappointing, especially compared to today's Green Grocer standards. Anyway, there weren't shots of the interiors in the catalogs like there are today...or lego.com to give 5 shots or online reviews to give 50 shots of a set, so the interior was always a special surprise. And it was always disappointing. I'd imagine new pieces and colors and new ways to make realistic interiors and it was always a little lame. So a bank would be a counter and a desk and they would only take six pieces... I was actually really excited about finishing so I could construct the lame interiors. Honestly, I would've been so excited to see a square car windshield and a black fence piece inside! That would have been a total bonus. But, I do appreciate the feedback and a second floor was considered for the bank. Thanks again! :sweet:

Great! Another Smartass Swede! :hmpf_bad:

:tongue:

Well, thats every swedes job, to mess with you as much as we can. :tongue:

Really classic looking, very believable as an early 80s set. Great work!