Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Murder on the Emerald Express: Discussion

It can drive itself though, thanks to Power Functions.

Well I hope the driver packed some dry ice for atmosphere :laugh:

Yay, we're on our way!

A question about Dynamic Movements - does there have to be group consensus on who departs from the main group? Does the initiator of the movement grant permissions to others? Or does the Lord Overseer have final judgment?

Just a question as I could imagine there would be situations where the departing group may not wish others to follow.

A question about Dynamic Movements - does there have to be group consensus on who departs from the main group? Does the initiator of the movement grant permissions to others? Or does the Lord Overseer have final judgment?

Just a question as I could imagine there would be situations where the departing group may not wish others to follow.

I am not sure if I had answered correctly, based on the mechanics of this game.

No, we do not require to have a general group agreement in order to procced into another new area. Some of them could choose to remain as where they are, while the rest will explore other areas. When those players initial "Dynamic Movements", Brickster will host a separate level of either open discussion or closed discussion via the use of pm where information are shared or certain actions are used in that scenario. The rest out of the loop will not know what's going on.

Since this is the first dynamic movement that some of us had gone, I suppose Brickster is the ultimate approval from the skies above. He is a mysterious source of unknown power. :tongue:

I would assume though, that TheBrickster never intended any more than one or two members of STAFF to follow as he probably instructed via PM to whisper which would mean the passengers would never hear it. So I would think he will overrule any passengers going, but we'll soon find out I suppose.

I would assume though, that TheBrickster never intended any more than one or two members of STAFF to follow as he probably instructed via PM to whisper which would mean the passengers would never hear it. So I would think he will overrule any passengers going, but we'll soon find out I suppose.

We didn't hear it, we OVERHEARD it, which I think was clearly the intent, or he would have just shared the information by PM and never said to post it.

Whether or not we're allowed to go with you, we can still individually or as a group go, so one way or the other, I suspect we're going.

We didn't hear it, we OVERHEARD it, which I think was clearly the intent, or he would have just shared the information by PM and never said to post it.

Whether or not we're allowed to go with you, we can still individually or as a group go, so one way or the other, I suspect we're going.

Nothing like a bit of ImperialShadows authority. Looks like you're going. :pir-laugh:

You sort of spoiled the story line. The title is Murder on the Emerald Express, but actually, no-one has actually died in the story yet...or have they? :skull:

You sort of spoiled the story line. The title is Murder on the Emerald Express, but actually, no-one has actually died in the story yet...or have they? :skull:

It was the same in Mystery Mansion. We entered the house to investigate a murder, yet no-one had actually seen anyone die yet. :tongue:

As for this game, I'm a bit lost at what to do. I apologize for being away for a day without notification, but I think I've managed to catch up with what's going on.

Still, I don't really know what we should be doing anyway. There are no visual clues or even descriptions of the surroundings to go with. I can't say "I want to look under the chair", because I don't know if there even are any chairs nearby. I'm not even sure which car we are currently in.

I'm sorry, but I must require some clarification on how this game works, aside from the things listed in the rules. What do you want us to actually do, Brickster, aside from just moving dynamically?

Still, I don't really know what we should be doing anyway. There are no visual clues or even descriptions of the surroundings to go with. I can't say "I want to look under the chair", because I don't know if there even are any chairs nearby. I'm not even sure which car we are currently in.

We started off in the dining car, so I think we're still there, at least since nobody yet has managed to bust out!

All good questions. Let me explain:

All of you began in the dining car where Jim Butcher provided a brief orientation. While no description of the dining car was provided, it is not important at this time. You don't want to compare this initial gathering to being inside a "mystery mansion" in which you are searching under every chair and chandelier for clues. You don't know what you are looking for.

While Jim was providing your orientation, Steve Thomas was excused by the Conductor to tend to the engine. When he came back, all of you overheard him whisper that he discovered a knife on the floor of Passenger Car #2.

Regarding Dynamic Movement, WhiteFang is correct in his explanation. Dynamic Movement is intended for very small groups (1-3 or a few more) to leave the main group. However, with the discovery of the knife, just about ALL wanted to follow. This more or less defeats the purpose of "Dynamic Movement".

Thus we have ended Chapter 1 and will continue soon.

In regard to your goal: like in any "real-life" situation, your exact mission is not clearly spelled out, but part of the mystery at hand. This adds to the value of this mystery and things will become a little more clear as the chapters unfold. It's NOT about CLUE questions (WHO Committed a murder, WHAT weapon was used, and WHERE did it take place).

For another example of this type of mystery, see Mystery Ship.

Hope you're all enjoying the mystery so far. It's just going to get better.

Brickster, thanks for this fine game so far. I think I getting the grasp and understanding of this game. Somehow, it's given me the feeling that I am playing something similar to a role playing game (rpg) where we uncover things slowly as we progress at certain point or stages in various chapters and location. I must admit that there may or may not have a fixed plot but a general direction for all of us to interact and unweave together as a whole to unlock the true mystery behind all this. For this, I am pleased with your arrangement so far. :sweet:

You don't want to compare this initial gathering to being inside a "mystery mansion" in which you are searching under every chair and chandelier for clues. You don't know what you are looking for.

Must you really mention the chandelier? :blush:

Now, you gave Shadows an excuse to remind me to watch over the ceilings. :tongue:

Regarding Dynamic Movement, WhiteFang is correct in his explanation. Dynamic Movement is intended for very small groups (1-3 or a few more) to leave the main group. However, with the discovery of the knife, just about ALL wanted to follow. This more or less defeats the purpose of "Dynamic Movement".

I like that dynamic movement feature. :thumbup:

When he came back, all of you overheard him whisper that he discovered a knife on the floor of Passenger Car #2.

So we can assume that whispers are subtle clues, or subtle red herrings, whereas the real meat is going to be exchanged completely behind our backs. :grin:

For another example of this type of mystery, see Mystery Ship.

Think "Murder by Death". You're invited somewhere, possibly for the stated reason, possibly for another reason entirely, and events play out that you have to deal with as well as you can, hopefully leaving yourself in the best position possible. Hilarity ensues.

Inspector Milo Perrier: Touch nothing!

Jessica Marbles: Will you stop saying "touch nothing?" We're all experienced criminologists. I find it insulting, debasing, and redundant to keep telling us to "touch nothing!"

Inspector Milo Perrier: Oh, be quiet, woman!

Jessica Marbles: Up yours, fella!

Sidney Wang: Most amusing. Bickering detectives like making lamb stew: everything goes to pot!

Coincidentally, it also involved a train. Twain. Train. Two two Twain. Train. Choo choo! I can't get out of this one... :wacko:

Hope you're all enjoying the mystery so far. It's just going to get better.

It would be a crime not to enjoy it!

Must you really mention the chandelier? :blush:

Now, you gave Shadows an excuse to remind me to watch over the ceilings. :tongue:

Things are looking up already, eh? :laugh:

Think "Murder by Death". You're invited somewhere, possibly for the stated reason, possibly for another reason entirely, and events play out that you have to deal with as well as you can, hopefully leaving yourself in the best position possible. Hilarity ensues.

Exactly! Well said indeed.

Mystery is always around the corner.

I think Darth_Legois is aiming for suicide by publicly questioning (a) the Omniscient Overlord's need for an index (b) his in-game name confusion :oh::laugh:

I think Darth_Legois is aiming for suicide by publicly questioning (a) the Omniscient Overlord's need for an index (b) his in-game name confusion :oh::laugh:

Hey!, Im not suicidal!! :laugh:

I wasn't confused, TheBrickster mixed up mine & marks name. Then tried to cover up! :oh3::tongue::laugh:

Also if I somehow die it'll be like Hinckley in Witch Hunt. :devil: :laugh:

Edited by Darth_Legois

Boy, this game is moving at the speed of a bullet train! Five days in, and we're already entering Part 3! :oh:

This Night Action thing sounds like potential fun is ahead, hope the characters end up in weird situations. :wink:

Also if I somehow die it'll be like Hinckley in Witch Hunt. :devil: :laugh:

Our only success of the game. :wink:

Our only success of the game. :wink:
LOL! :laugh::devil: So true.

Way to go, boner-heads. Taking credit for Quarryman's handiwork. :hmpf:

:tongue:

The night activities was hilarious! :laugh:

I surely will keep following this story, it's been giving me lots of laughs so far :laugh:

You guys are really good! :thumbup:

Best night actions in any game ever. EVER. :laugh:

Way to go, boner-heads. Taking credit for Quarryman's handiwork. :hmpf:

:tongue:

Oh, shut up. Witch. :angry:

Fine, I'll take credit for the only real success, figuring out what was going on and putting an end to the killing ... right after you died. :grin:

Sign in to follow this