Sign in to follow this  
Dark Sword Ragnarok

The Steel Heron

indexed.gif

Hello all! :classic:

Ever since the first leaked pics of the original wave of CW sets, people have continuously bagged on the Twilight, some even going as far as to call it the "Clunkadunk" (you know who you are!) :wink:

When I saw the set marked down to just 50 USD at my local Lego Store, I bought it with this intent: To make the Twilight a good, functional model, while giving it a new face over the original frame. This is what my final product is.

Taken out the original model:

Large, ugly gun on right side of cargo bay

Useless, ugly escape pod in front of the engine

Useless, ugly bottom "wing"

Added in/fixed/changed:

Floor in cargo bay (thats a big one!)

Closed hole in side door

Beefed up wing guns

Extra engine underneath wing

Cuncussion Missles

More greebs in cockpit

Greebs on Engine

Stairs leading from cockpit to cargo bay

Weapon holsters in cargo bay

Rear gun underneath platform

Now, onto the pics:

3499509450_595d30ccc4.jpg

Overview. You can already see some major changes.

3499506908_90234017b6.jpg

Both side doors now open, and there is plenty of standing room on both sides.

3499510374_8cb786bc62.jpg

Engine block. Much greebs added here and on the main engine.

3499511724_201cde2f49.jpg

Back. More detail on the platform and door. Also the rear gun and winch.

3498696665_a0a2b92c94.jpg

Yup, built a chair to hold my M8 in the cockpit. It's just that awesome.

3499514302_dd4096d8a1.jpg

Much more viewscreens/controls. Had to get a bit creative doubling-up 1x2 plates.

3499515638_638de764db.jpg

Underside. More details here, filled in a lot of holes in the design.

3499517052_4152b4963a.jpg

Floor space in the cargo bay! Yay! :grin:

3498702289_3f6705fe61.jpg

Small ramp up into the cargo bay. You can also see the bottom of the steps up to the cockpit.

And finally.......

3499519740_56b78f786c.jpg

Teh epic fite on teh wingz of teh sihp! Just kidding, gotta get my 1337speak out sometimes.

This is Zak'kran confronting Jack on the main wing of the Steel Heron. Why? Because swordfights on a ship going at high speeds across a planet is high-energy and much more dramatic! :sweet:

Anyway, thanks for looking, hope you liked my MODs! C@C welcome as always!

DSR

Great MOD you've done there.

I like this new and improved version of yours :thumbup:

Perhaps you could share a pic or two of the original, just to compare with?

Keep up the good work.

That was an unnaturally fast response.

But thanks nonetheless. :classic:

I have a few pics of the original, I will try to get one up tomorrow afternoon, I'm done for the night. :tongue:

DSR

That was an unnaturally fast response.

DSR

:devil: That's the joy of Sith training :wink:

You actually make the Twilight look good. I love your design. The floorspace makes me want to buy it right now!

WARNING! Off-Topic: How did you make the little droid in the pilot seat? WARNING!

WARNING! Off-Topic: How did you make the little droid in the pilot seat? WARNING!

That's not off-topic but a very good question indeed.

Show us close-ups of that little fella :classic:

Oh, that`s great. I`ve thought about using the Twilight as a personal ship but eventually I didn`t actually buy the set.

What you have done there is pretty much what I might have attempted: floor, better guns, better cockpit and some more detailing. But I must say this is probably much better than what I would have ended up with.

I am only guessing but maybe the M8 is attached with one of these.

Great MOD!

Maybe I'm one of the few people who actually like the twilight and its awkward, asymmetrical design (always had a soft spot for old and scruffy looking ships).

Your mods (especially the greebs on the engine, the extra tiles, the extra engine) emphasize the character of that ship.

The floor in the cargo area is good, wasted space would be shame. Now every part of the ship has a function.

:devil: That's the joy of Sith training :wink:

:grin: Good point.

You actually make the Twilight look good. I love your design. The floorspace makes me want to buy it right now!

Thanks. Floorspace actually isn't all that difficult to incorperate, and changes it immensely.

That's not off-topic but a very good question indeed.

Show us close-ups of that little fella :classic:

Well, since you all asked so nicely:

3541787778_afef3ce74a.jpg

Here's how the seat looks while in the cockpit.

3541788218_591ef425e4.jpg

And out of the cockpit, and without M8 seated. As you can see, it's simply a flat plated 2x3 with a jumper plate, then a clip and cheese slope on top of the jumper brick. the bar at the back of the M8 fits nicely inside when pushed all the way back. A bit fragile, but there isn't much need to move around in a cockpit, it's meant to keep it in one spot.

Sorry for the blurry pic, my camera seems to be on the fritz latlely, doesn't want to take clear pics. :sceptic:

Oh, that`s great. I`ve thought about using the Twilight as a personal ship but eventually I didn`t actually buy the set.

What you have done there is pretty much what I might have attempted: floor, better guns, better cockpit and some more detailing. But I must say this is probably much better than what I would have ended up with.

I am only guessing but maybe the M8 is attached with one of these.

Thanks. And very close guess! :classic:

Great MOD!

Maybe I'm one of the few people who actually like the twilight and its awkward, asymmetrical design (always had a soft spot for old and scruffy looking ships).

Your mods (especially the greebs on the engine, the extra tiles, the extra engine) emphasize the character of that ship.

The floor in the cargo area is good, wasted space would be shame. Now every part of the ship has a function.

Thanks. :classic: Thats pretty much what I was going for, keep the asymmetrical design of the ship while taking out the useless stuff and making the ship as a whole more space-efficient.

I am interested in the M8, can you show all the parts dissassembled? :thumbup:

Actually, there is a great pic here that shows the assembly. Credit to Don Solo for the pic, he's also the creator of the original M8. :classic:

DSR

Edited by Dark Sword Ragnarok

Nice MOC! :classic:

It looks much better than the original.

There's also a lot of interior space, too.

I also like all of the greebles that you added.

This is Zak'kran confronting Jack on the main wing of the Steel Heron. Why? Because swordfights on a ship going at high speeds across a planet is high-energy and much more dramatic! :sweet:

Hehe, sometimes I do that when I'm in the mood to swoosh my planes/ships! :grin:

Although it's kind of hard to do without four hands...

Nice MOC! :classic:

It looks much better than the original.

There's also a lot of interior space, too.

I also like all of the greebles that you added.

Thanks. The interior space is what makes the model really cool once it's been added. It just lacks so much without it. The set has amazing potential, its a shame the designers didn't really finish the inside.

Hehe, sometimes I do that when I'm in the mood to swoosh my planes/ships! :grin:

Although it's kind of hard to do without four hands...

Hehe, yes, it's extremely difficult. :grin: Thats why I swoosh, then set up duels on the outside. Works much better than setting up a duel then swooshing, believe me. :wink:

DSR

can you please give me this? I'll be good for the rest of my life :cry_happy: ...wait you're not santa are you? :grin: well i might be buying the twilight but the set isn't on sale here so it's 99.95 ,stop hammer time(wait i've been on youtube for a long time) there's always my bank ...alright! :tongue:

Great rebuild. I would have definitely bought this model as opposed to the piece of trash that that WAS released.