Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Murder on the Emerald Express: Rules

Murder on the Emerald Express

Rules

General Info

By now, all of the participants have received a mysterious "Character Card" revealing a little information about your character. For those of you who perhaps took a peek at someone else's card (sure, I know who you are), that's okay. Nothing too private has been revealed on your card, but you will most likely be receiving additional "mystery information", when the time is right or like the famous quality term, "Just-In-Time". You will be expected to act your part, and I may let you know when an action is inappropriate or "not within the scope of your character". These, I call "bloopers". Like in any movie, film, or play, good acting is encouraged and comedy should be used when appropriate. The quality of this story is based upon YOU. Unlike a few of my earlier mysteries, this particular mystery will be more interactive allowing characters to determine the outcome.

Life Points

So, wondering what the Life Points are? Each character has a number on their card that represents the character's life value. In this mystery, characters can and may likely attempt to do harm to another character. Weapons (guns, knives, rocks, sharp objects) can be used to harm another character, as well as accidental mishaps which result in a decrease in your life points. When your life points are zero (0), you are considered dead. At the same time, rest and recuperation, as well as medical intervention will result in an increase in life points. (NOTE: Dungeons & Dragon fans may relate Life Points to Hit Points - without the use of dice). Sounds fun, there's more...

Dynamic Movement

Unlike previous mysteries and mafia games, I'm going to try something completely new, and that is to allow characters to virtually move through the mystery outside or without the main group. What does that mean, you ask? It means if any character or group of characters wants to leave the group and go off alone (which is not always in their best interest), or separate into smaller groups (of perhaps 2 or more), you can do it. If you wish to separate, you must tell the group by stating, "Dynamic Movement" and what you're going to do. EXAMPLE: The entire group of 12 main characters is in the dining car of the train. Hinckley wants to explore the bathroom. He types: "Dynamic Movement: I'm going to walk toward the bathroom in the next car". Others can then follow, or stay if not commenting and this initiates private conversation with me through PM. None of his actions are shared with the group, unless he tells you how his trip to the bathroom resulted. This also includes hostile action that you may secretly plot during the night or when no one sees you (hostile actions may include just about anything from a gun shot to poison). This story is not pre-determined and allows these types of actions.

NOTE: as we have not tried this in previous mysteries, let's see how it works. If this becomes too difficult or chaotic, I'll end it later.

Secondary Characters

Secondary characters will not be participating initially. Sorry secondary characters. You will be phased in when the time is right. You can certainly; however, follow the mystery, but I ask that you please not post until your character is called upon. This is not subtle, and I will give you explicit instructions before you are phased in. We have a total of 12 characters and 11 secondary, so that is a lot of people participating. Please be respectful of the story line and the other characters during communication. I will not hesitate to pull someone out of the mystery if they become difficult. At the same time, please do not send me messages asking me for "mystery information" you think your character should know. I'll determine what information is shared with you.

What's Next?

Murder on the Emerald Express will be quite different from previous mysteries, and I think no one will expect what will come next. Goals of the mystery will not be clearly defined, but rather left up to you. Your self preservation will be the inherent motivation. Your train will be arriving tomorrow evening, so with that, I think I've explained as much as I can at this time. I'll be glad to answer any questions that you have on this thread, with the exception of questions regarding your characters or story information. Have fun, and I look forward to embarking aboard our train bound for mystery. :skull:

Very interesting, Brickster, especially with your two unique rules (LP and DM). I'm definitely looking forward to playing. However, I'm a little confused on this:

Dynamic Movement

Unlike previous mysteries and mafia games, I'm going to try something completely new, and that is to allow characters to virtually move through the mystery outside or without the main group. What does that mean, you ask? It means if any character or group of characters wants to leave the group and go off alone (which is not always in their best interest), or separate into smaller groups (of perhaps 2 or more), you can do it. If you wish to separate, you must tell the group by stating, "Dynamic Movement" and what you're going to do. EXAMPLE: The entire group of 12 main characters is in the dining car of the train. Hinckley wants to explore the bathroom. He types: "Dynamic Movement: I'm going to walk toward the bathroom in the next car". Others can then follow, or stay if not commenting and this initiates private conversation with me through PM.

You mean Hinckley and whoever goes with him initiate a PM conversation with you? Or just Hinckley? If the former, would all of the players involved in the DM have to PM each other (to inform them of the happenings), as well?

This also includes hostile action that you may secretly plot during the night or when no one sees you (hostile actions may include just about anything from a gun shot to poison). This story is not pre-determined and allows these types of actions.

When nobody sees you? So my character (for example) can slip poison into a drink in front of other characters? Also, is it the usual with night actions- you can't use them unless you're assigned one?

Interesting. So if Hink went to the bathroom, could he find something that pertains to the mystery? Or does that need to be scripted?

You mean Hinckley and whoever goes with him initiate a PM conversation with you? Or just Hinckley? If the former, would all of the players involved in the DM have to PM each other (to inform them of the happenings), as well?

Hinckley and whoever goes with him will have private conversation with me. I will send a PM to the first person (in this case Hinckley) CC'ing it to the 2nd person. Our EB board allows one to send a PM to one individual + 6 CCs. The initiator of the Dynamic Movement takes the lead and unless someone says, "I will go with Hinck", my PM is only to Hinck.

Talking between characters is based on PM. Other characters nor I will know what is said. Example: Perhaps Hinckley and Shadows are plotting to slip some poison into your glass. Hink sends a PM to Shadows asking for him to fellow him into another train car. Hinck initiates, and then Shadows states he'll follow. I will wait for a PM from Hinck who can send it to Shadows and me. I will send my response to both.

Does this answers your question?

When nobody sees you? So my character (for example) can slip poison into a drink in front of other characters? Also, is it the usual with night actions- you can't use them unless you're assigned one?

You can attempt to do something in front of others at any time, but you run the risk of someone discovering what you are up to. How might they react if they catch you?

Anyone can do just about anything. There is no such thing as an assigned night action (defense or hostile action). This is like a real life situation. If something is truly outside the scope of a character; however, I will tell him/her that its not appropriate. Blooper!

Does this explanation help?

Interactive eh? This sounds good! :thumbup::sweet:

Also.....its already the 15th of May..... :tongue::grin:

Anyway sounds really good with the fact that its not scripted well like how you can go where ever you want to...

Can't wait to play! :sweet:

So if Hink went to the bathroom, could he find something that pertains to the mystery? Or does that need to be scripted?

Yes, he could, but no swirleys. Some clues are set and can be discovered by anyone. Others are based on information from other characters.

Also.....its already the 15th of May..... :tongue::grin:

Not here it's not. In your case, you've got another 24 hours to wait. My time zone is behind.

Example: Perhaps Hinckley and Shadows are plotting to slip some poison into your glass. Hink sends a PM to Shadows asking for him to fellow him into another train car. Hinck initiates, and then Shadows states he'll follow. I will wait for a PM from Hinck who can send it to Shadows and me. I will send my response to both.

Is this some sort of diabolical plot between IS & Hinck to win the game? :tongue: :laugh:

Not here it's not. In your case, you've got another 24 hours to wait. My time zone is behind.

I know I was just joking. :tongue:

So if you go somewhere you can find clues? Like say I went to another carraige and found a clue? Also If I found a clue does that mean i dont have to tell everyone else is i wanted to?

Edited by Darth_Legois

Is this some sort of diabolical plot between IS & Hinck to win the game?

I'd call it something else. :laugh:

So if you go somewhere you can find clues? Like say I went to another carraige and found a clue? Also If I found a clue does that mean i dont have to tell everyone else is i wanted to?

Yes and Yes. You can find clues alone, but probably not in the bathroom with Hinck and Shadows. What goes on in the bathroom stays in the bathroom. :laugh:

If you find a clue alone, you don't have to tell the group.

One thing that I'd like to point out before everyone goes out looking for clues like an Easter Egg Hunt; there is an advantage in staying together, and that is your safety.

Oh, and something to help you get into the mystery mood:

Oh, and one more thing:

While you don't have to change your avatar, by placing it in your signature with your character's name, it does help others remember who you are.

Our EB board allows one to send a PM to one individual + 6 CCs.

I only recall recieving the CC function when I became Shipyard Master. :sceptic:

I'd call it something else. :laugh:

Yes and Yes. You can find clues alone, but probably not in the bathroom with Hinck and Shadows. What goes on in the bathroom stays in the bathroom. :laugh:

If you find a clue alone, you don't have to tell the group.

Ewww......To much information! :sick::grin:

I only recall recieving the CC function when I became Shipyard Master. :sceptic:

TheBrickster is the Town Sheriff [Town Mod] :wink:

... and I may let you know when an action is inappropriate or "not within the scope of your character". These, I call "bloopers"...

Even though we are online, I can tell you're looking at me when you say that. :sceptic:

:tongue:

EXAMPLE: The entire group of 12 main characters is in the dining car of the train. Hinckley wants to explore the bathroom. He types: "Dynamic Movement: I'm going to walk toward the bathroom in the next car". Others can then follow, or stay if not commenting and this initiates private conversation with me through PM.

Yes! Murder by swirly!! :sweet:

Hey, this sounds awesome, TheBrickster! I'm more excited than I should be. Can't wait to start! :sweet: :sweet:

TheBrickster is the Town Sheriff [Town Mod] :wink:

So the 12 individuals won't be sending CC's then?

And sorry about all my questions, this is my first Murder Mystery.

And sorry, this is my first Murder Mystery.

Guess not? I dont know, Never tried CC on these forums before. :sceptic:

Sounds good Brickster, I am very excited indeed! :sweet: This should be a lot of fun, especially with the really neat rules. See you all on the train! :thumbup:

Can't wait to get the mystery starting. Just by knowing the rules of this game had certainly made me feel much excited on this highly anticpated game. I must admit that whatever we do in there, is going to make a difference in our actions. :tongue:

I am vhipping up a special batch of hand-made strawberry icecream to zelebrate everybody's arrifal on ze train tomorrow!

It will be red... beautiful rich, deep, dark strawberry red... :devil:

(Only kidding; I prefer fresh mango ice-cream :wink: I eagerly await our departure.)

Ooh, everything in the rules sounds so interesting! :oh:

Too bad my life points are so low... Don't kill me off the bat, guys! :tongue:

I still don't have any idea what we're supposed to do in the train (except investigate it), or what we might find there, but I guess everything will clear up once the game starts.

I'll surely try my darnest to win this mystery as well, even though I don't know how to do it yet. :wink:

This all sounds good so far Brickster :thumbup:

Do we get a floor plan of the train, ie how many carriages etc with rooms to look in blah blah blah

Looking forward to lasting longer than Stash does in these things :tongue:

While you don't have to change your avatar, by placing it in your signature with your character's name, it does help others remember who you are.

Should we (extras) do this now, or only once we're called upon?

Even though we are online, I can tell you're looking at me when you say that.

:laugh::laugh:

And sorry about all my questions, this is my first Murder Mystery.

No, not generally. The main group always posts their messages in the message thread. PMs are for those outside of the group.

Do we get a floor plan of the train, ie how many carriages etc with rooms to look in blah blah blah

Definately not - unless you find one.

Should we (extras) do this now, or only once we're called upon?

Good question. No, not until you're called upon.

You can find clues alone, but probably not in the bathroom with Hinck and Shadows. What goes on in the bathroom stays in the bathroom. :laugh:

Actually, we're still looking for the key to Lord Chester's nightstand. :blush:

Geez, Hinck, it's not in there! *slap*

Sounds all clear and good to me TheBrickster, I hope the Dynamic Movement system works out, because it sounds quite good. Hope I can keep in character and look to have some fun!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Sign in to follow this