Peppermint_M

Which Comic Do You Read?

Oooh, comics!

Well, I went through a marvel phase a few years back around the civil war period. I read a lot of Avengers and really loved Deadpool, so those were the two I picked up. Now don't get me wrong, I still like Deadpool, but he doesn't have the same draw for me anymore. He's become a bit..predictable I suppose. Anywho, my interests switched big time to DC and I started collecting the occassional Batman graphic novel. Then I got onto Justice League and was reminded of how awesome the Flash is, so I got into him big big time! So my current reads are Flash, Batman and JLA! I've also picked up a few Green Lantern books of late simply because the art in them can be so great and full of colour, especially things like Blackest Night. I'm a big fan of colour :grin:

I recently started reading a new webcomic: JL8. It's quite possibly one of my favorite webcomics these days. The art style is appealing, the DC universe references are remarkably well-played, and of course it's full of lots of heartwarming moments. There are 87 pages so far; and I recommend anyone who's a fan of DC Comics superheroes in any capacity to read through them.

I read last week the new #1s of Deadpool and Iron Man, I really liked Deadpool's so I decided to start picking up that series. I'm not so sure about start reading Iron Man though.

I read last week the new #1s of Deadpool and Iron Man, I really liked Deadpool's so I decided to start picking up that series. I'm not so sure about start reading Iron Man though.

That Geof Darrow cover was pretty beautiful. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with a lot of the Marvel Now #1's I've seen. It's a pretty blatant counter-strategy to DC's New 52, but at least there aren't 52 of them :laugh:

The Uncanny Avengers was decent, but not great as a number one issue. The artist, John Cassaday, is impeccable, and the writer, Rick Remender, knocked his last gig on X-Force out of the park, but I wasn't sold on the choice of surprise villain. I'll check out the first six or so.

I'm curious to read the new Bendis X-Men title too. The premise sounds terrible, but it has to be decent to have gotten this far into production.

I'm curious to read the new Bendis X-Men title too. The premise sounds terrible, but it has to be decent to have gotten this far into production.

I really enjoy most of Bendis' books so I am sure this won't disappoint either, no matter how strange it sounds!

I don't really read the new ones. I liked the old style of comics more. So I buy only those great old classic from 80s and 90s like Norm Breyfogle's Batman, Punisher, G.I.Joe, Transformers, John Byrne's stuff etc... and some French bestsellers - Asterix and Lucky Luke... they never get me bored :sweet: And some Disney's pocket comi books of couse! - I prefer Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge to Micky Mouse :sweet:

I loved Avengers Academy, it was the only series I read front to back. Really the only series I got into. The only others things in Marvel I followed was the Cinematic Universe, Earth-8096/80920, and certain pieces of the Ultimate Universe, it was my comic series. And now its...

...poor Finesse. Poor everyone, half probably cast to comics limbo, the other half made into cannon fodder in such a sadistic illogical way that...

I miss them so much already.

Yesterday I pick up the remaining Marvel Now stuff that had come out.

I got:

Iron man #1

Thor #1

Deadpool #1

Fantastic Four #1

X-men legacy #1

All new X-men #1

Gambit #5

Batman #13 & #14

Should keep me busy for a while. I've read most of the Marvel Now stuff and have found the most of it really good. I didn't find the rebooted Deadpool as funny as some of the previous ones. Also I wasn't very fond of X-men legacy or Red she-hulk. However I loved Iron man, Uncanny Avengers and all new X-men. All new X-men was probably the most interesting one for me. It's good to see the original 5 back together. Fantastic four was good and so was A+X. Point one was good but I felt it could have improved a lot by adding in stories surrounding some more mainstream characters.

All New X-Men was great. A really interesting first issue. I'll be sure to follow it. Much better than Uncanny Avengers, though I think I'll be following that one too.

Did anyone pick up the Indestructible Hulk of the new Captain America from Marvel Now? And if so, are they any good, and how many pages are they? Cause i don't know if they can justify a $3.99 price tag for just one character.

This week I picked up Justice League 14 and Catwoman 14, both pretty good issues, and I can't wait to see Justice Leagues story expand into Aquamans' atlantis in the upcoming crossover, because new 52 Aquaman is in my top three right now!

Did anyone pick up the Indestructible Hulk of the new Captain America from Marvel Now? And if so, are they any good, and how many pages are they? Cause i don't know if they can justify a $3.99 price tag for just one character.

I picked them both up today and I have to say they are both very different.

I really enjoy Indestructible Hulk. It's a great story that has a lot of great ways to continue.

Captain America was ok not one of the best Marvel Now titles in my opinion, but it had some good parts.

In terms of pages Hulk has about 28 pages. Captain America has 27.

While Captain America isn't the best it might still be worth picking up just like Hulk it has a few good ways it could go.

I'm interested to read that Hulk. Mark Waid is writing, and he's been on a roll with Daredevil this year.

I have a little pile of comics lying next to me that I have bough, read or used relatively recently.

There are the Transformers UK Prey reprint, the Danish version of Transformers US #3 and #4, Marvel G.I.Joe #135, #137 and the 88 Yearbook, a collection of The Captain And The Kids strips, the Lost Adventures and The Promise comics from Avatar The Last Airbender.

I have enjoyed all of them. Admittedly the G.I. Joe and Transformers comics are a bit out of context, but still interesting to me. I also liked the Promise comic despite the harsh criticism some fans give it.

I picked them both up today and I have to say they are both very different.

I really enjoy Indestructible Hulk. It's a great story that has a lot of great ways to continue.

Captain America was ok not one of the best Marvel Now titles in my opinion, but it had some good parts.

In terms of pages Hulk has about 28 pages. Captain America has 27.

While Captain America isn't the best it might still be worth picking up just like Hulk it has a few good ways it could go.

See, I don't understand how they can charge 3.99 for only around 27 odd pages. For DC, 3.99 gets you 40 pages adn 2.99 gets you 32 pages. It just seems like more of a fair deal. Oh well, they looked interesting, but I can't justify collecting a book for one character I'm mildly interested in. DC got it right, 3.99 for popular characters in a 40 page book, Batman, Justice League etc. then less popular characters in a 2.99 book, flash, swampthing. It just makes everything more reasonable, but if I'm paying 3.99 for Captain America or Deadpool, it just seem like I'm not getting as much bang for my buck. Nevertheless I think I will be collecting the Avengers when it comes out, cause 3.99 for all those characters seems like its more then worth it!

See, I don't understand how they can charge 3.99 for only around 27 odd pages. For DC, 3.99 gets you 40 pages adn 2.99 gets you 32 pages. It just seems like more of a fair deal. Oh well, they looked interesting, but I can't justify collecting a book for one character I'm mildly interested in. DC got it right, 3.99 for popular characters in a 40 page book, Batman, Justice League etc. then less popular characters in a 2.99 book, flash, swampthing. It just makes everything more reasonable, but if I'm paying 3.99 for Captain America or Deadpool, it just seem like I'm not getting as much bang for my buck. Nevertheless I think I will be collecting the Avengers when it comes out, cause 3.99 for all those characters seems like its more then worth it!

I agree. At the moment I've been lucky enough to have been able to get all of the current #1s, but I'm certainly not going to continue many of them. I'm already picking up Batman and Nightwing on the DC side. Looking at Marvel I think I will continue All new X-men, Iron-man, Uncanny Avengers and maybe pick up the odd Thor or Captain America. I've already desired to drop Deadpool, X-men Legacy, maybe Fantastic Four and Red she-hulk. Although they all had good points they weren't really for me. I'm not a big fan of some of the cosmic story lines. So I struggled with Fantastic four and X-men legacy. Mainly because of the setting. Deadpool wasn't very good which is a shame because I like him in other media like TV and films. I might give him another chance in a few months but I'm not sure if I will be able to. I liked Thor but I don't know if I want to see much more of him after seeing him in both Avengers and Uncanny Avengers. Plus I need to make room for some of the other big names that will most likely be heading our way, like Spider-man.

Also I keep seeing Justice League #0 and don't know whether to pick it up. Is it any good?

Also I keep seeing Justice League #0 and don't know whether to pick it up. Is it any good?

Justice League #0 continues events in the Shazam back up story that started in issue #7 or something, so I wouldn't get it because it doesn't hold up as a stand alone issue because it lacks a beginning or an ending.

If you want to jump into Justice League though, #15 is dropping in December, and it will begin a crossover event with Aquaman (who is a real badass now) called Throne of Atlantis, which I believe will be preluded in next weeks Aquaman, which should be excellent! Or you could start at Justice League #13 and #14 which began and ended with the secret of the cheetah story arc which was pretty good for Wonder Woman and Superman fans.

Just got My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #1 last night. First actual comic book I've bought (as opposed to a trade paperback or graphic novel) since getting Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth more than a year ago. I actually got two copies. One was one of the standard six variant covers featuring one of the "mane six" (the six main characters of the show), while the other was the subscription variant cover by Jill Thompson. The former is for Aanchir and me; the latter is probably going to be a gift for my Uncle, who is a huge comic nerd with a 10-month-old daughter, and a big fan of Jill Thompson's work on series like The Sandman.

This week I picked up Thor #2, Uncanny Avengers #2, All New X-men #2, FF#1, A+X#2 and every now and I'm picking the Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novel collection. This week was Ultimate Spider-man #1-7, which I really enjoyed. So far I have read Spider-man coming home, X-men Dark Pheonix, Iron man Extremis, The Ultimates and Secret war. I'm hoping to get up to date with the shortly as they are really great books I have six out of the 25 released so I have a lot of back tracking. But it seems worth it as the stories are great. Among some of the ones I intend to get are, Birth of Venom, Planet Hulk, Captain Britain, Avengers Forever, E is for Extiniction, Captain America New Deal, Marvel Zombies, Wolverine, Winter soldier and much more. The next one is The Secret Wars part 1 where Spidey gets the black suit.

Those are some good stories, but some might read a little slow now. Secret Wars is about 1985, and it's a little silly when looking back... The suit stuff isn't even a big part of the story. Avengers Forever and Captain Britain might be a hard read too.

But, I think it's great that you're trying to get your Marvel history! I hope you enjoy :sweet:

Those are some good stories, but some might read a little slow now. Secret Wars is about 1985, and it's a little silly when looking back... The suit stuff isn't even a big part of the story. Avengers Forever and Captain Britain might be a hard read too.

But, I think it's great that you're trying to get your Marvel history! I hope you enjoy :sweet:

Yes I found the Dark Pheonix story line to have some slow bits and as soon as it went in to space I wasn't enjoying it as much. But on a whole all the story's are pretty good. They all have a little page at the front to explain the story so far, which is quite helpful. Plus at the back it has a 2 page spread on the origin of the hero or with the Ultimate heroes a comparison between the two universes. Shows you the many different looks of the characters. Has a biography of both the artist and writers. And also shows some of the cover variants. The last page is further reading. So far the best one that I have read is Ultimate Spider-man.

I find a really sharp line between happened some time in the late 90's, part of the manga influence I guess, where comics just got a lot more brisk, and even though I love them, those older comics just are harder to read in comparison. It's like watching old movies too, the pacing seems really slow compared to contemporary works.

I love the Dark Phoenix saga, but that writer in particular, Chris Claremont, is famous for exposition. Every issue, the characters narrated their abilities in thought boxes, or the writer just told it. It's really repetitive now. Still great in my books, but not as fun as it used to be.

Anything in the Ultimate line should be a fun read. It's all modern style. Some of the writers are better than others. I mostly enjoyed the first two Ultimates, Ultimate Galactus was mostly good, and I liked the Ultimate Spidey too. And it's less weighed down in history.

Right now though, as someone who knows a lot of X-Men history, I'm really enjoying All-New X-Men! I will keep reading this one as it comes out. It is both classic and fresh!

Right now though, as someone who knows a lot of X-Men history, I'm really enjoying All-New X-Men! I will keep reading this one as it comes out. It is both classic and fresh!

I agree the All New X-men is one of my favourite Marvel Now titles. It's great I'm loving Cyclops as the villian but I'm happy there's a book where he's still the hero ( kind off) . I still think that Cyclops was right however! I can't wait for All New X-men #3 later this week especially after the cliff hanger at the end of #2.

Also I've read the Ultimates and I thought it was good but it seems very dated now with all it pop culture references and what not. When I got to the George Bush cameo I was a bit shocked. I'm sure at the time it was quite cool but now it just makes it seem old. That's why I think it's better when presidents are fictional. It's the same with celebrities as Freddy Prince JR made a cameo and I can't think of the last film I saw with him in. It might have been Scooby Doo.

I still really enjoyed though.